Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 493385 times)

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #3090 on: Dec 28, 2019 at 11:51 AM »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3091 on: Jan 02, 2020 at 07:57 PM »
BLOCK Z
Directed by Mikhail Red

Block Z is an upcoming Philippine zombie film starring Julia Barretto, Joshua Garcia, Ian Veneracion, Maris Racal, Dimples Romana, McCoy de Leon, Yves Flores, and Ina Raymundo.

It follows a group of university students who try to survive the undead during a deadly viral outbreak.

TEASER TRAILER:
https://youtu.be/xYhTiwXDCs0

BLOCK Z Trailer:

https://youtu.be/kYb9eAu27Vo

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #3092 on: Jan 03, 2020 at 12:33 PM »
CNN's The 25 Best Filipino Films of the Decade

https://cnnphilippines.com/life/entertainment/2019/12/23/best-films-of-the-2010s-decade.html

My list:

01. NORTE, THE END OF HISTORY (2013, Lav Diaz)
02. SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION FROM LILIA crapAPAY (2011, Antoinette Jadaone)
03. TRANSIT (2013, Hannah Espia)
04. THE WOMAN WHO LEFT (2017, Lav Diaz)
05. BALANGIGA: HOWLING WILDERNESS (2017, Khavn De La Cruz)
06. SANA DATI (2013, Jerrold Tarog)
07. ANINO SA LIKOD NG BUWAN (2015, Jun Robles Lana)
08. HONOR THY FATHER (2015, Erik Matti)
09. DAGITAB (2014, Giancarlo Abrahan)
10. VIOLATOR (2014, Eduardo Dayao)
11. A LULLABY TO THE SORROWFUL MYSTERY (2016, Lav Diaz)
12. CHANGING PARTNERS (2017, Dan Villegas)
13. BLISS (2017, Jerrold Tarog)
14. ODA SA WALA (2018, Dwein Baltazar)
15. THAT THING CALLED TADHANA (2014, Antoinette Jadaone)
16. JOHN DENVER TRENDING (2019, Arden Rod Condez)
17. BUYBUST (2018, Erik Matti)
18. KANO: AN AMERICAN AND HIS HAREM (2010, Monster Jimenez)
19. RESPETO (2017, Treb Monteras II)
20. APOCALYPSE CHILD (2015, Mario Cornejo)
21. HOW TO DISAPPEAR COMPLETELY (2013, Raya Martin)
22. EKSTRA (The Bit Player) (2013, Jeffrey Jeturian)
23. SUNDAY BEAUTY QUEEN (2016, Baby Ruth Villarama)
24. THY WOMB (2012, Brillante Mendoza)
25. ZOMBADINGS 1: PATAYIN SA SHOKOT SI REMINGTON (2011, Jade Castro)

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3093 on: Jan 21, 2020 at 03:59 PM »
This looks interesting....Inspired by the story of the Loboc Children’s Choir in Bohol.

SONG OF THE FIREFLIES
Directed by King Palisoc
Written by Sarge Lacuesta
Music by Ryan Cayabyab
Lyrics by Sarge Lacuesta
Musical Direction by Krina Cayabyab
Cinematography by Pong Ignacio
Starring:  Morissette Amon, Rachel Alejandro, Noel Comia Jr., Krystal Brimner, Cris Villonco, and the Loboc Children's Choir

FIRST TRAILER:
https://youtu.be/aua1ammUuiA

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #3094 on: Jan 28, 2020 at 09:43 AM »

My thoughts on Laura Greenfield's The Kingmaker

Screening at the CCP 1/29/20, 3 and 7.30 PM
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2020 at 09:49 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3095 on: Feb 07, 2020 at 01:20 AM »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3096 on: Feb 17, 2020 at 07:25 AM »

DEATH OF NINTENDO
Directed by Raya Martin
Written by Valerie Castillo–Martinez

Set in the suburbs of 90s Manila, just before the catastrophic Mount Pinatubo eruption, Death of Nintendo follows the misadventures of four video game-crazed 13-year old friends as they navigate the challenges of adolescence including first love and circumcision.

Death of Nintendo will premiere in Berlinale 2020, an international film festival held in Berlin which is slated to open on February 20 of this year.

Death of Nintendo stars Noel Comia, Jr., Kim Chloie Oquendo, Jiggerfelip Sementilla, John Vincent Servilla, Moi Bien, Nikki Valdez, Angelina Kanapi, Jude Matthew Servilla, Elijah Alejo, Cayden Williams, and Agot Isidro.

The film will be shown in the Philippines after it finishes its festival tour.

https://www.clickthecity.com/movies/a/39118/nostalgic-pinoy-film-debuts-at-berlinale-2020

TEASER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMKQTKtvnDc

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3097 on: Mar 04, 2020 at 03:31 PM »
A HARD DAY

Based on the South Korean blockbuster hit of the same title, comes the Filipino adaptation of the action thriller, "A Hard Day," starring Dingdong Dantes and John Arcilla. Directed by Lawrence Fajardo.

TRAILER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw9jkEYlr3s

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3098 on: Mar 15, 2020 at 05:12 PM »
TBA just uploaded some of their movies for free on YouTube

It seems everyone is willing to pitch in as Metro Manila and several other provinces in the country are under "community quarantine" in an effort to control the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Philippine film production studio, TBA, is uploading several of its full-length films on YouTube. Yup, that's right – free of charge.

Titles now available to stream for free include Bliss, Gayuma, Iisa, Dormitoryo, Patintero, Matangtubig, and Water Lemon.

https://www.rappler.com/entertainment/movies/254606-tba-studios-full-movie-youtube

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3099 on: Mar 15, 2020 at 05:15 PM »
The first Summer Metro Manila Film Festival scheduled for next month has been postponed due to the novel coronavirus pandemic. The festival was scheduled from April 11 to 21 with 8 films forming the lineup.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3100 on: Mar 18, 2020 at 02:33 PM »
TBA just uploaded some of their movies for free on YouTube

It seems everyone is willing to pitch in as Metro Manila and several other provinces in the country are under "community quarantine" in an effort to control the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Philippine film production studio, TBA, is uploading several of its full-length films on YouTube. Yup, that's right – free of charge.

Titles now available to stream for free include Bliss, Gayuma, Iisa, Dormitoryo, Patintero, Matangtubig, and Water Lemon.

https://www.rappler.com/entertainment/movies/254606-tba-studios-full-movie-youtube

Better article with synopsis and video links....

12 Filipino Films You Can Now Stream For Free

https://www.clickthecity.com/movies/a/39340/12-filipino-films-you-can-now-stream-for-free

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3101 on: Mar 30, 2020 at 12:11 PM »
Discover new films and help indie film workers while you're at it with the Lockdown Cinema Club

A collection of short films from the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries are now available online for binge-watching, in a campaign to raise funds for film workers affected by the Luzon-wide lockdown.

The Lockdown Cinema Club is an intiative by indepent Filipino filmmakers including filmmaker Carl Chavez, producer Alemberg Ang, cinematographer Mackie Galvez, and producer and actress Camille Aragona.

The initiative invites viewers to "watch all you want, give what you can," with funds going to around 1,000 low income, no work-no pay film industry workers including utility personnel, setmen, frips, electricians, production assistants, and post-production staff.

https://www.rappler.com/entertainment/movies/255383-discover-new-films-help-indie-film-workers-lockdown-cinema-club

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3102 on: Mar 31, 2020 at 12:49 PM »

It's said that Mike De Leon's Kisapmata is inspired by Stanley Kubrick's  The Shining. I think this is better. Some thoughts on the film

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3103 on: Apr 23, 2020 at 05:11 PM »

At long last and a little long (it got away from me), my Best of the 2010s list.  Includes some Filipino titles.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3104 on: May 03, 2020 at 01:58 PM »

Thoughts on Victor Villanueva's Patay na si Hesus, on vimeo on demand

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3105 on: May 14, 2020 at 11:57 PM »
Thoughts on Manuel Conde's action melodrama Venganza (Vengeance)

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3106 on: May 16, 2020 at 10:30 AM »
Some highly rated local indie films are now streaming for free....

SUNDAY BEAUTY QUEEN

https://youtu.be/TB_bwb7K-7E

WOMEN OF THE WEEPING RIVER

https://youtu.be/r0L3348YyOg

NEOMANILA

https://youtu.be/XoRuBcHbbQs

JOHN DENVER TRENDING

https://www.iwant.ph/

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3107 on: May 25, 2020 at 04:06 PM »
5 Filipino films to make Netflix premiere in June

1. PINOY SUNDAY (Changhe Films Ltd)
Inspired by a 1958 Roman Polanski short, this lighthearted examination of modern life in Taipei follows two Filipino immigrants, Manuel and Dado, during their day off from work, when the chance discovery of a discarded couch leads to adventure.

Director:  Widing Ho
Cast:  Bayani Agbayani, Jeffrey Quizon, Nor Domingo, Dave Ronald Chang, Meryll Soriano, Alessandra de Rossi

Release date: June 5, 2020

2. SUNOD (Black Cap Pictures Inc.)
As the medical expenses for her daughter stack up, a mother takes a demanding call center job where the building's sinister secrets begin to haunt her.

Director:  Carlo Ledesma
Cast:  Carmina Villarroel, Mylene Dizon, JC Santos, Kate Alejandrino, Krystal Brimner, Rhed Bustamante, Susan Africa

Release date: June 14, 2020

3. LOLA IGNA (ERJ Found Film Production Co.)
An elderly woman finds her life disrupted when her family and village realize she has a chance at a world record for being the oldest grandmother alive. ('Lola Igna' was awarded Best Picture, Best Screenplay, Best Musical Score and Best Actress at the 2019 Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino Awards Night.)

Director:  Eduardo W. Roy Jr.
Cast:  Angie Ferro, Yves Flores, Meryll Soriano, Maria Isabel Lopez, Royce Cabrera, Jojo Riguerra, Armando A. Reyes

Release date:  June 18, 2020

4. UNTRUE (Viva Communications Inc.)
Mara moves from the Philippines to the country of Georgia, where she meets a mysterious man, Joachim. They develop feelings for one another, until Joachim claims to hear peculiar sounds and see visions of a strange woman.

Director:  Sigrid Andrea Bernardo
Cast:  Cristine Reyes, Xian Lim

Release date:  June 22, 2020

5. ORDINARY PEOPLE (PAMILYA ORDINARYO) (ERJ Found Film Production Co.)
Barely making a living as pickpockets, a teenage couple in Manila resort to desperate measures when their one-month-old child is kidnapped. ('Ordinary People,' released locally as 'Pamilya Ordinaryo,' was awarded Best Film, Best Editing, Best Actress, and Best Director at the 12th Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival, as well as Best Actress at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards and FAP Awards.)

Director:  Eduardo W. Roy Jr.
Cast:  Ronwaldo Martin, Hasmine Kilip, Maria Isabel Lopez, Sue Prado, Ruby Ruiz, Raymon Lee, Karl Medina, Erlina Villalobos, Menggie Cobrarrubias

Release date:  To be announced

https://news.abs-cbn.com/entertainment/05/25/20/5-filipino-films-to-make-netflix-premiere-in-june

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3108 on: Jun 13, 2020 at 12:12 AM »
Biyaya ng Lupa (Blessings of the Land) (Manuel Silos) **** - A young couple get married and start planting lanzones trees in hopes for a better future. We see them have a family and grow. We see their happiness as well as the tragedies. As of this writing, it's Philippine Independence Day so I thought it would be a good idea to see a Filipino classic I haven't seen...and this is a CLASSIC. This is absolutely beautiful film. It kind of reminds me of the humanist themes that prevail in Satyajit Ray's work as well as the narrative style of the Japanese masters but set in the Filipino milieu. Among the few Filipino films I've seen during this period, this is by far, my favorite. A brilliant piece of work which should be viewed by more people. It's available to stream for free online on both YouTube and Vimeo. Highly, HIGHLY recommended.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3109 on: Jun 14, 2020 at 10:18 AM »
A Thousand Cuts (Ramona S. Diaz) ***1/2 - This is a documentary about Maria Ressa, a Filipino journalist fighting for press freedom in the Philippines under the authoritarian regime of President Duterte. First off, as a Filipino who is politically aware and follows this stuff, I've known a lot of the stuff in this documentary but if you're not in the know especially if you're a foreigner, this is a beautifully illuminating and informative documentary about basically what we Filipinos have been dealing with locally. One thing that surprised me in this documentary is the fact that they were basically fair to the villains of this on-going story: Mocha Uson and Bato de la Rosa, neither come off as the evil fools we (as in Filipinos who are against this administration) characterize them to be. It adds an even greater layer of depth to this doc that is an essential watch for anyone who values freedom and democracy. One of the best films of 2020.

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2119
« Reply #3110 on: Jun 14, 2020 at 10:55 AM »
Saan kaya mapapanuod yang A Thousand Cuts? I missed out on the streaming the other day.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3111 on: Jun 14, 2020 at 11:20 PM »
Saan kaya mapapanuod yang A Thousand Cuts? I missed out on the streaming the other day.

Ramona Diaz says she and the producers are working on allowing it to be available again. I'll post the link when that happens.

Offline thebat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3112 on: Jun 15, 2020 at 12:58 PM »
Ramona Diaz says she and the producers are working on allowing it to be available again. I'll post the link when that happens.

Yes please. Thanks.
Yamaha AVR-S80
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #3113 on: Jun 21, 2020 at 01:22 AM »
Just sa "Sunod" on netflix. Ang ganda ng visuals! Very well made. Story was going well until it kinda tripped in the end but still well worth your time.

Offline thebat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3114 on: Jul 02, 2020 at 11:00 AM »
Mganda ba yung UnTrue? Nasa Netflix.
Yamaha AVR-S80
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3115 on: Jul 27, 2020 at 10:51 PM »

My thoughts on Pamilyang Ordinaryo (Ordinary People), now streaming on Netflix with English subtitles

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3116 on: Jul 31, 2020 at 09:49 AM »

CINEMALAYA SETS SAIL WITH ITS DIGITAL EDITION THIS AUGUST

The Cinemalaya Philippine Independent Film Festival continues to sail on its 16th year with its digital edition slated on August 7 to 16, 2020. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the country’s biggest independent film festival will be screened on Vimeo.

Co-produced by the Cultural Center of the Philippines and the Cinemalaya Foundation Inc., this year’s film festival will feature Short Films in Competition.

Out of 244 entries submitted, 10 short films were selected and will vie for the Best Film award. These are: ANG GASGAS NA PLAKA NI LOLO BERT (THE BROKEN VINYL RECORD) by JANINA GACOSTA AND CHESKA MARFORI; ANG PAGPAKALMA SA UNOS(TO CALM THE PIG INSIDE) by JOANNA VASQUEZ ARONG; EXCUSE ME MISS, MISS, MISS by SONNY CALVENTO; FATIGUED by JAMES ROBIN MAYO; LIVING THINGS by MARTIKA RAMIREZ ESCOBAR; PABASA KAN PASYON by HUBERT TIBI; QUING LALAM NING ALDO (UNDER THE SUN) by REEDEN FAJARDO; THE SLUMS by JAN ANDREI COBEY; TOKWIFI by CARLA PULIDO OCAMPO; and UTWAS (ARISE) by RICHARD SALVADICO AND ARLIE SWEET SUMAGAYSAY.

http://www.cinemalaya.org/cinemalaya-sets-sail-with-its-digital-edition-this-august/

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3117 on: Aug 24, 2020 at 10:10 PM »

My Best of 1995 list. Some notes: wish my 25 year younger self recognized the value of Amy Heckerling's 'Clueless' and Gillian Armstrong's 'Little Women' more and saw through the glitter of 'Pulp Fiction's' Palme D'Or win; also wonder what I was thinking mentioning Shawshank, Apollo 13, and Se7en. Otherwise--well take a look
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2020 at 10:14 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3118 on: Aug 26, 2020 at 12:06 AM »

On Cineaste.com: my article on Jose B. Capino's 'Martial Law Melodrama: Lino Brocka's Cinema Politics' is available on print only, so if you have the spare dollar, grab a copy

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3119 on: Sep 03, 2020 at 12:14 AM »

My thoughts on Auraeus Solito's (AKA Kanakan Balintagos) debut feature, the charming Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros streaming in Cinema One Original's Youtube channel till Sept. 6, 11.59 PM. With English subtitles.