Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 495470 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #3120 on: Sep 14, 2020 at 11:01 AM »
Genus, Pan (Lav Diaz) ***1/2 - Three miners take a journey through the jungle and reckon with their demons. This is the latest from Filipino auteur Lav Diaz. It is a relatively short one: only two hours and thirty-seven minutes which if you're familiar with Lav Diaz's works is indeed quite short compared to his five, six, seven, eight hour films. But despite the shortened running time, it's still a Lav Diaz film through and through. The film may be short but the narrative somehow became more dense. It makes you work to figure it out a bit more (so I wouldn't recommend this to a Diaz newbie despite the shorter running time). The film's style and pace sort of reminds me of Eastern European films, I must say. It is not my favorite Lav Diaz but since it is a Lav Diaz is a ton more interesting than most any films out there at the moment. This is definitely worth seeing.

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #3121 on: Sep 15, 2020 at 04:30 AM »

Thoughts on Tatarin, Tikoy Aguiluz's adaptation of Nick Joaquin's classic war-of-the-sexes play

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1237
« Reply #3122 on: Sep 18, 2020 at 09:47 AM »
Viva to launch VIVAMAX, the country’s biggest Filipino streaming platform

https://www.pikapika.ph/pikadaily/viva-to-launch-vivamax-the-countrys-biggest-filipino-streaming-platform

Offline neilc

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3123 on: Sep 18, 2020 at 12:23 PM »
Viva to launch VIVAMAX, the country’s biggest Filipino streaming platform

https://www.pikapika.ph/pikadaily/viva-to-launch-vivamax-the-countrys-biggest-filipino-streaming-platform

There’s a pinoy streaming app already. Try PopTV Pinas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Apple enthusiast. PlayStation Addict

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3124 on: Sep 18, 2020 at 01:02 PM »

Thoughts on Sari Dalena's affectionate portrait of Nick Joaquin, Dahling Nick

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3125 on: Sep 21, 2020 at 11:46 AM »

Pinoy adult animation film ’Hayop Ka! The Nimfa Dimaano Story’ is coming to Netflix this October

A new Filipino adult animation comedy film is coming to Netflix this October.

“Hayop Ka! The Nimfa Dimaano Story” starring Angelica Panganiban, Sam Milby, and Robin Padilla is the first animated Netflix movie from the Philippines.

The story follows Nimfa (Angelica Panganiban), the pretty pussycat who sells perfume at a department store.

Nimfa has a boyfriend, Roger (Robin Padilla), the macho mongrel who is a janitor, but her relationship gets complicated after she meets Iñigo Villanueva (Sam Milby) the bourgeoisie business dog.

The voice cast also includes Empoy Marquez, Piolo Pascual, Arci Muñoz, Eugene Domingo, Yeng Constantino, Moira dela Torre and Bb Joyce Bernal.

“Hayop Ka! The Nimfa Dimaano Story” is directed by Avid Liongoren; written by Manny Angeles and Paulle Olivenza; and was animated and produced by Rocketsheep Studio and Spring Films.

"Hayop Ka! The Nimfa Dimaano Story” is set to premiere on Netflix this October 29, 2020.

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/lifestyle/hobbiesandactivities/756441/pinoy-adult-animation-film-hayop-ka-the-nimfa-dimaano-story-is-coming-to-netflix-this-octo/story/

TRAILER:
https://youtu.be/7gMbbkyJwTE

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3126 on: Sep 22, 2020 at 02:50 PM »

Daang Dokyu Film Festival is organized by FilDocs (Filipino Documentary Society). It showcases the largest collection of documentaries about the Philippines and will run from September 19 to November 5, 2020.

https://www.daangdokyu.ph/index

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3127 on: Oct 04, 2020 at 12:31 PM »
Saving Sally will be available on Netflix this month

If you were not able to catch the movie “Saving Sally” in theatres, here’s another chance to see it! Rocketsheep Studio confirmed that the 2016 film will be available on Netflix across Asia and possibly in Europe this October 15.

“It should be available all across Asia & quite possibly Europe as they took our French subtitles,” the company behind the ‘little film’ stated.

The live-action animated movie took ten years and several setbacks before finally landing a place in the local movie scene. In 2016, “Saving Sally” was included in the official entries of the Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF). However, the film was not widely shown in cinemas nationwide and only had a limited viewing.

After showing in the Philippines, the film got featured all over the world and received prestigious awards from international movie film festivals. “Saving Sally” was shown in Japan, South Korea, Los Angeles, New York, Portugal, and Italy among others.

https://freebiemnl.com/2020/10/saving-sally-will-be-available-on-netflix-this-month/

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3128 on: Oct 25, 2020 at 12:56 AM »
Di Ingon 'nato (Not Like Us) (Brandon Relucio/Ivan Zaldarriaga) *** - In a rural village in the island of Cebu in the Philippines, there is a zombie outbreak. That's it. That's the movie. Even though this is a Filipino film, it's in Cebuano so even I needed subtitles for it. This is probably the first Filipino zombie flick at least in modern times which is in the vein of the George Romero zombie (get bitten, get sick, die, reanimated, etc.) It manages to do a unique distinctly Filipino spin on it which I dig. The film starts off fairly slow and is pretty much a slow burn in its running time (I would describe it as a Lav Diaz film that was interrupted by a zombie movie) before things become crazy. This approach has its ups and downs but overall i think it pulled it off. If you're not already full up on zombies, this isn't a bad entry to the genre.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3129 on: Oct 30, 2020 at 12:10 AM »

Thoughts on what in my book are the scariest movies ever made

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3130 on: Nov 03, 2020 at 12:06 PM »
Last Supper No. 3 (Veronica Velasco) ***1/2 - A production designer loses a Last Supper tapestry he borrowed to use for a commercial shoot. The owners demand 25,000 pesos. He refuses and this leads to a series of unfortunate and often hilarious complications. I have been meaning to watch this film a long time. It was pulled out of its already limited theatrical release before I had a chance to see it. Now I finally have and it's a wonderful comedy about the absurdity of Filipino government bureaucracy. I would describe it as a realistic After Hours because I definitely know people who have undergone similar things. Then to my surprise, it's actually based on a true story which shouldn't have surprised me. Worth checking out.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3131 on: Nov 23, 2020 at 01:11 AM »
Lingua Franca (Isabel Sandoval) ***1/2 - A Filipino undocumented trans woman who works as a caregiver for an elderly Jewish lady with dementia is looking to get her green card. She has a romance with the old woman's adult grandson. Years ago, I saw a film by a pre-transition Isabel Sandoval called Aparisyon, a horror film about nuns. I remember really liking it and excited for this filmmaker. But years went by, nothing. Then this film emerged and it's the same filmmaker! Admittedly, I don't think this film is as good as her previous film but it still cements the fact that Isabel Sandoval is a vital filmmaking voice. You can feel the confidence behind the camera. The film is also an honest, heartfelt and eye-opening piece of work.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3132 on: Nov 30, 2020 at 10:27 AM »
Babae at Baril (The Woman and The Gun) (Rae Red) ***1/2 - After being sexually assaulted, a mild-mannered young woman finds a gun and starts standing up for herself. But that's only about half the film, the other half goes into a wildly different direction that's both thrilling and something I wasn't expecting. It stuck the landing with the ending too. It features great performances from its ensemble headed by Janine Gutierrez. This is from Rae Red from the talented filmmaking Red family which also includes Mikhail Red and Raymond Red. This is yet another example of a talented filmmaker from that family. It's one of the best Filipino films of 2019. I'm glad I caught up with it.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3133 on: Nov 30, 2020 at 10:36 AM »
Babae at Baril (The Woman and The Gun) (Rae Red) ***1/2 - After being sexually assaulted, a mild-mannered young woman finds a gun and starts standing up for herself. But that's only about half the film, the other half goes into a wildly different direction that's both thrilling and something I wasn't expecting. It stuck the landing with the ending too. It features great performances from its ensemble headed by Janine Gutierrez. This is from Rae Red from the talented filmmaking Red family which also includes Mikhail Red and Raymond Red. This is yet another example of a talented filmmaker from that family. It's one of the best Filipino films of 2019. I'm glad I caught up with it.

This won big at the Gawad Urian 2020 awards....

Best Film
Best Director (Rae Red)
Best Actress (Janine Guiterrez)
Best Cinematography (Tey Clamor)
Best Editing (Ilsa Malsi)
Best Production Design (Eero Francisco)

Where can you catch this? Is it streaming anywhere?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3134 on: Nov 30, 2020 at 11:46 AM »

Where can you catch this? Is it streaming anywhere?

QCinema. It's streaming for PhP 150 in GMovies.ph (along with a dozen other titles). Hurry, I think it's only available for a few more days!

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3135 on: Nov 30, 2020 at 11:46 PM »
Cleaners (Glenn Barit) ***1/2 - A group of senior high school students are assigned to stay after class to clean the classroom. Then we each see a glimpse into a chapter of their lives. Set in the mid 2000's (Jesus, mid-2000's is already becoming a distinctive period), this is a thoughtful and intelligent film into the lives of adolescents in all their angsts and insecurities but the film distinctly puts it in the context of Filipino culture and society in a way that hits close to the bone to anyone who spent their adolescence in Filipino high schools. Alternately funny, sad, shocking, and inventively shot (it's in black and white with splashes of drawn-in color) and edited, it's one of the best Filipino films about teens in recent years.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3136 on: Dec 01, 2020 at 07:44 AM »
QCinema. It's streaming for PhP 150 in GMovies.ph (along with a dozen other titles). Hurry, I think it's only available for a few more days!

Watched it last night. Thanks for this information.

Babae at Baril - It starts out in the typical movie formula of a girl being raped, finding a gun and then going vigilante-style after her assaulter and other male harassers. And then this part ends in a creative segue (nicely edited to the beat of the Asin song, "Magnanakaw"), turning the film around, swerving it to different angles before returning it full circle. It becomes something surprisingly unexpected. I thought this will be a stylistically shot revenge-thriller, but ultimately it is not. To say more might spoil some of it's goodness, so suffice it to say that writer-director Rae Red provides a very feminist and female-centric view point of some the country's patriarchal realities and issues. It's a filmic breath of fresh air that is very much needed.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3137 on: Dec 04, 2020 at 12:03 AM »

Reading what I wrote some twenty plus years ago I sound clumsy, ignorant, naive...but I do think my choice for best and second-best of 1998 are still spot on

The Best of 1998

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3138 on: Dec 05, 2020 at 10:51 AM »
Midnight in a Perfect World (Dodo Dayao) ***1/2 - In random parts of Manila, once it's past midnight, mysterious blackouts happen and if you're caught outside in one of those blackouts, you disappear and you're never heard from again. This is from the writer and director Violator, my favorite Filipino horror film from the 2010's. Like that film, this is a film where you're never really sure where the narrative is going. Then you're plunged into an atmospheric and creepy ride that gets stranger as it goes along. The final sequence alone is quite breathtaking. Though it's not quite as successful overall as his previous film, this confirms that Dayao is a vital filmmaking voice and one of Philippine cinema's best genre filmmakers.

Offline Arulco

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #3139 on: Dec 05, 2020 at 04:25 PM »
^ Title yan ng song ni DJ Shadow ah.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3140 on: Dec 15, 2020 at 08:22 PM »
Dayao is a vital filmmaking voice and one of Philippine cinema's best genre filmmakers.

aka X44

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2606
« Reply #3141 on: Dec 18, 2020 at 08:53 PM »
not sure if this is already posted:

abs-cbn star cinema full movies / youtube super stream

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLalQNACgOUSexat_rVzqFdZkshVxbL4WO

1.  ang tanging ina nyong lahat
2.  girl, boy. bakla, tomboy
3.  dubai
4.  sakal, sakali, saklolo
5.  ang tanging ina mo: last na to
6.  forevermore
7.  call center girl
8.  pagpag: siyam na buhay
9.  four sisters and a wedding
10.  etiquette for mistresses
11.  kasal, kasali, kasalo
12.  first day high
13.  ang tanging ina
14.  supahpapalicious
15.  kung ako na lang sana
16.  bata, bata..pano ka ginawa
17.  every breath u take
18.  loving in tandem
19.  anak
20.  all you need is pag-ibig
21.  padre de pamilya
22.  agawan base
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3142 on: Dec 21, 2020 at 10:20 AM »
2020 FAMAS full list of winners:

Best Production Design: Eero Yves Francisco (Babae at Baril)

Best Screenplay: Glenn Barit (Cleaners)

Best Cinematography: Alyx Arumpac and Tanya Haurylchyk (Aswang) and Tey Clamor (Babae at Baril)

Best Scoring: Immanuel Verona (Babae at Baril)

Best Sound: Jet Leyco and Brian Gonzales (For My Alien Friend)

Best Editing: Fatima Bianchi and Anne Fabini (Aswang)

Best Short Film: Tokwifi (Carla Ocampo)

Best Documentary: Aswang (Alyx Arumpac)

Best Supporting Actress: Dolly De Leon (Verdict)

Best Supporting Actor: Ricky Davao (Fuccbois)

Best Actor: Elijah Canlas (Kalel, 15) and Kristoffer King (Verdict)

Best Actress: Janine Gutierrez (Babae at Baril)

Best Achievement in Direction: Raymund Ribay Gutierrez (Verdict)

Best Picture: Aswang

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3143 on: Dec 30, 2020 at 08:28 AM »
Silip: Daughters of Eve will be getting a US Blu-ray release....

Mondo Macabro has revealed that it is preparing a Blu-ray release of Elwood Perez's film Silip: Daughters of Eve (1985), starring Sarsi Emmanuelle, Maria Isabel Lopez, and Myra Manibog. The release is expected to arrive on the market early next year.

Synopsis:  In the remote countryside of Ilongo, various women are sexually abused by local men. Two sisters meet Simon, the most attractive man in the village, and fight over him--one constantly haunted by Catholic dogma because of the abuse she suffered previously.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=27921

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3144 on: Jan 02, 2021 at 09:26 AM »
Hayop Ka! (2020) - The vibrant and well-detailed animation should be rightfully commended, but this supposed to be spoof of Filipino soap opera stories and typical rich boy-poor girl, love triangle thing just cannot find it's own narrative footing that aside from the wonderful visuals and very Filipino in-jokes, it becomes another clone of the very same subjects it is trying to parody. A wasted opportunity that in the end, this movie becomes just one of the pack.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3145 on: Mar 04, 2021 at 11:02 PM »

Thoughts on Lamberto Avellana's classic adaptation of Nick Joaquin's Portrait of the Artist as Filipino

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3146 on: Mar 07, 2021 at 03:33 PM »

Offline hennry sy

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #3147 on: Mar 07, 2021 at 03:48 PM »
One of the best soft core Filipino films, imho.  Great acting from Albert and that very delicious, ganda ng hubog gorged breasts of Joyce Jimenez.  Nagkaroon yata ng shortage ang Kleenex at the time it was released.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked: