Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 493401 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #3150 on: May 23, 2021 at 01:11 PM »

For Nora Aunor's birthday, ABS CBN is streaming for free on their Facebook web page their restored copy (with English subtitles) of Mario O'Hara's wartime drama Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos (Three Years Without God), on Tuesday May 25, 7.30 PM Manila Time (7.30 AM Eastern).

My thoughts on the film
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021 at 01:13 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3151 on: May 23, 2021 at 09:46 PM »

Tuesday, May 25; 7:30 PM GMT+8 (7:30 AM ET); streaming free with English subtitles.

My further thoughts on the film (for the 2016 restoration)

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #3152 on: Jun 01, 2021 at 09:26 AM »
I missed this. Any chance of it streaming again soon? Thanks.

Offline Columbia

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 817
« Reply #3153 on: Jun 01, 2021 at 09:36 AM »
Any chance that they will restore those "pene" films during Marcos time? A shot in the dark maybe but really love to see restored versions of those movies.. It became part of the high school and early college in me.. Heck, I even memorized their names.

Sent from my Nokia 5210

Columbia

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #3154 on: Jun 06, 2021 at 06:02 PM »
Saw Babae at Baril on Netflix. Maganda, at magaling ang pagkagawa. Marunong pala umarte si janine gutierrez. Di lang believable na saleslady. Baka may mas pinay looking na artista sana.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3155 on: Jun 06, 2021 at 08:06 PM »
I missed this. Any chance of it streaming again soon? Thanks.

It's available on Amazon Prime, and iTunes

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3156 on: Jun 06, 2021 at 08:09 PM »
Saw Babae at Baril on Netflix.

I liked it.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3157 on: Jun 11, 2021 at 12:30 AM »

All the film I saw in 2002! Where did I find the time? Where did I find the energy? Where did I find all the 35 mm prints? Best of 2002

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3158 on: Jul 26, 2021 at 05:44 PM »

Didn't realize I haven't posted this--thoughts on Marilou Diaz Abaya's Moral

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3159 on: Aug 26, 2021 at 11:37 AM »

My thoughts on the Cinemalaya 2021 shorts, still streaming on KTX.PH

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3160 on: Sep 07, 2021 at 05:21 PM »
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2021 at 03:10 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3161 on: Oct 07, 2021 at 12:58 PM »

Thoughts on Gerardo de Leon's 1954 folk classic Pedro Penduko

Now available for streaming at a certain Facebook page. Also, the print should be available, so this can be screened once in a while.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #3162 on: Oct 16, 2021 at 12:34 PM »
‘Gensan Punch’ takes Kim Jiseok Award at Busan International Film Festival

Another Filipino film has been recognized internationally as the HBO Asia Original film “Gensan Punch” copped the Kim Jiseok Award at the prestigious 26th Busan International Film Festival on Friday.

The Filipino-Japanese film produced and directed by award-winning director Brillante Mendoza beat other nominated films from Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, China, India, Japan, Philippines, and Singapore for the highly-coveted award.

The Kim Jiseok Award is given to the most attractive film that reflects the contemporary standing of Asian cinema.

The movie, inspired by the true story of Naozumi Tsuchiyama, is about a Japanese man with a prosthetic leg who goes to the Philippines to train and pursue his dream of becoming a professional boxer.

It also opens the issue of discrimination towards the disabled, especially in competitive sports such as boxing.

In English, Japanese and Tagalog, “Gensan Punch” was filmed in both the Philippines and Japan. It stars a mix cast of Filipino and Japanese actors bannered by Shogen, Ronnie Lazaro, Kaho Minami, Beauty Gonzales, and Vince Rillon.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/entertainment/10/15/21/gensan-punch-wins-kim-jiseok-award-in-busan-film-fest

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3163 on: Oct 16, 2021 at 12:45 PM »
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2021 at 12:47 PM by jas »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3164 on: Nov 09, 2021 at 08:16 AM »

ARISAKA
Directed by Mikhail Red
Written by Anton Santamaria
Starring Maja Salvador, Mon Confiado, Art Acuña, Shella Mae Romulado

Mixing a chase thriller with social commentary, Arisaka stars Maja Salvador as a resourceful policewoman who must stay alive after a prized witness is gunned down in an ambush, leaving her as the only survivor of the assassination.

TEASER:

https://youtu.be/CED5KQ0w0pI

TRAILER:

https://youtu.be/29_DR0aAk0o

Tokyo Competition Film, Mikhail Red’s ‘Arisaka’ Takes Aim at The Philippines’ New Generation of Oppressor

https://variety.com/2021/film/asia/mikhail-reds-arisaka-takes-aim-1235106808/

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #3165 on: Nov 09, 2021 at 08:24 AM »
All Of ‘Shake, Rattle & Roll’ Films Are Now Available To Watch For Free Online

https://www.youtube.com/c/RegalEntertainmentInc/search?query=shake%20rattle%20and%20roll
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3166 on: Nov 26, 2021 at 03:46 PM »
Raya Martin's DEATH OF NINTENDO will have a US Blu-ray release on November 30, 2021. No special features though.

Here is a review:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Death-of-Nintendo-Blu-ray/302494/#Review

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3167 on: Dec 11, 2021 at 08:47 AM »
Arisaka (2020) - A tightly told revenge-survival thriller with some effective acting and good use of its location in the forests and hills of Bataan as lensed by cinematographer Mycko David. It's OK enough as a genre film, but somewhat simple and I think the narrative connections with the Bataan Death March were not explored quite solidly. Not my favorite Mikhail Red film, but not a wasted watch. Now streaming on Netflix.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3168 on: Feb 02, 2022 at 10:39 AM »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #3169 on: Feb 14, 2022 at 11:57 PM »
History of Ha (Lav Diaz) *** - It's 1957. Then Philippine president Ramon Magsaysay was killed in a plane crash. A ventriloquist with his dummy returns to his hometown to marry his sweetheart. When he finds that she has married another to settle a debt, he goes on a journey with a nun, a prostitute and a teenage boy. This is the latest from writer-director Lav Diaz. He dropped it on YouTube for free on Valentine's Day. Since I have some free time at work, no date to speak of and I'm able to find four and a half hours to kill (actually on the short-ish side for Lav), might as well check it out. As usual, this is a long, heavy film. Although I do get the sense that Lav Diaz is starting to repeat himself by revisiting similar themes again and again, I believe he's justified in doing so to get his message across (especially since elections are fast approaching). Though I think this is far from his best work, it is still worth a look.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3170 on: Mar 17, 2022 at 10:10 AM »
Kip Oebanda’s ‘Liway’ to stream for free on YouTube

The film, based on true events, tells the story of a political prisoner under dictator Ferdinand Marcos’ Martial Law

Kip Oebanda’s Liway will be available to stream on the filmmaker’s YouTube channel starting Friday, March 18.

The film was written and directed by Kip based on his own childhood. It tells the story of a young boy named Dakip who grew up in a prison camp with his mother, anti-Marcos dissident Cecilia Flores-Oebanda, also known as Commander Liway.

Liway first premiered in August 2018, as part of that year’s Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival, where it later went on to win the special jury award and the audience choice award in the full-length feature film category.

Kip said that the film will be available for viewing ad-free until April.

https://www.rappler.com/entertainment/movies/kip-oebanda-liway-stream-free-youtube/

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3171 on: Mar 18, 2022 at 10:02 AM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3172 on: May 30, 2022 at 03:20 PM »

Available streaming on Vivamax: thoughts on Tikoy Aguiluz's erotic noir Biyaheng Langit (Paradise Express)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3173 on: Aug 06, 2022 at 11:44 PM »
Katips (Vince Tanada) *** - This is a dramatic musical about a group of student activists during the Martial Law era. Released as counter-programming to a certain propaganda film disguised as historical drama, this isn't exactly a masterpiece either. It's way too long, there are weird directing and editing choices, some of the acting is mediocre, it delivers its message with the subtlety of a sledgehammer and the script could have used another pass or two. Too bad, because there's actually a great film there. However, when it's good, it's REALLY good. When it hits the right notes, it really hits. A lot of the songs are genuinely good. This is a film with a lot of good intentions and I agree with its message. It could have been a lot better but considering the current political situation here in the Philippines, we need more films like this now more than ever.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3174 on: Aug 07, 2022 at 07:50 AM »
^  My son watched Katips yesterday in support of his political stance and he said that despite its good intentions, it was unfortunately a technically bad movie. Missed opportunity nga raw to really make something good and outstanding.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #3175 on: Aug 10, 2022 at 11:48 AM »
olats, taob k MiM

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3176 on: Aug 30, 2022 at 12:26 PM »

Thoughts on Lav Diaz's A Tale of Filipino Violence (2022)

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #3177 on: Sep 03, 2022 at 04:47 PM »
Katips (Vince Tanada) *** - This is a dramatic musical about a group of student activists during the Martial Law era. Released as counter-programming to a certain propaganda film disguised as historical drama, this isn't exactly a masterpiece either. It's way too long, there are weird directing and editing choices, some of the acting is mediocre, it delivers its message with the subtlety of a sledgehammer and the script could have used another pass or two. Too bad, because there's actually a great film there. However, when it's good, it's REALLY good. When it hits the right notes, it really hits. A lot of the songs are genuinely good. This is a film with a lot of good intentions and I agree with its message. It could have been a lot better but considering the current political situation here in the Philippines, we need more films like this now more than ever.

I'm surprised you gave it 3 stars(?). But I do agree with your last sentence.

This would have been best performed and filmed onstage; more Les Miserable 25th anniv concert and less Les Miserable 2012 film. I still would recommend people watch it given the fact I myself don't know how to release a movie -- and these well-meaning folk were able to. I will support anything that tells shamalanarcos to screw himself a new pee hole.

I recommend watching several other (much better made) films and docus about this family of thieves and murderers after. There's an orgy of lists out there for follow-up viewing.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3178 on: Sep 09, 2022 at 11:18 PM »
Leonor Will Never Die (Martika Ramirez Escobar) ***1/2 - An elderly woman who used to write and direct cheesy action films in the ‘80s resumes writing an unfinished screenplay. Then after getting hit in the head with a TV, she begins to enter the world she created….and it just gets stranger from there. This is one of my favorite films of the year so far (both Filipino and otherwise). It’s a delightful love letter to both storytelling and filmmaking that is just a joy to watch. The film becomes very meta as it goes along and that may annoy some audiences but I think it works in this instance because there’s a wonderful heartfelt through line that ties it all together. Yes, this is a excellent one. Go see it when you can.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3179 on: Sep 19, 2022 at 10:43 AM »

Martial Law Film Festival

Inihahandog ng Matanglawin Ateneo, ang Opisyal na Pahayagang Pangmag-aaral ng Pamantasang Ateneo de Manila, ang “Martial Law Film Festival”, isang serye ng film screening bilang paggunita sa ika-50 na anibersaryo ng pagdeklara ng Batas Militar sa bansa, para sa darating na Martial Law Week, kasama ang Ateneo Assembly, Ateneo Martial Law Museum, Loyola Film Circle, at Altermidya.

Simula ika-19 hanggang ika-23 ng Setyembre, itatampok sa Film Festival ang ilang mga pelikulang nagbabahagi ng mga karanasang mahalagang pakatandaan mula sa panahon ng Batas Militar, tulad ng Dekada ‘70, Batas Militar, Sister Stella L, at Liway.

https://www.ateneo.edu/events/2022/09/19/studentactivities-ls/martial-law-film-festival