Author Topic: BREAKING DEVELOPMENT: Warner Bros. Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive!  (Read 24749 times)

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Warner Bros. Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive
« Reply #60 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 05:21 PM »

Videobusiness.com is reporting that Warner sister company  New Line Home Entertainment and HBO Video are also included in the move to Blu-ray exclusivity.

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 08:53 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Warner Bros. Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive
« Reply #61 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 05:41 PM »
This is a major blow to HD-DVD. One step closer to ending the format wars and making the world "Blu".

For all HD DVD fanboys, it's considered the Death Blow na.... :-[

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Re: BREAKING DEVELOPMENT: Warner Bros. Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 05:48 PM »
Reaction from the HD DVD camp:

Report says that Warner was paid $500 Million by BDA !?

Report a lso says Fox was paid off, too ! We have heard today of Warner's shock move to Bluray. And we have heard some gossip in online forums that both HD DVD and Bluray had been courting Warner.

But imagine how shocked we were to read a report on Format War Central that appears to give a lot more information! According to this report, Warner has been promised $500 for their support of Bluray and dropping HD DVD! Yes, that's HALF A BILLION DOLLARS!!

It says that up to last week, Warner had been set to go over to the HD DVD side, and that Fox was set to go with them. We assume that this also means that MGM would have moved over to HD DVD, but no information has been given yet regarding this assumption.

However, at the last moment, it is said, Fox changed their mind and accepted a hefty deal from the BDA.

Full article

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 05:57 PM »
Warner Bros. backs Blu-ray
Studio to support Sony high-def format

Warner Bros. will throw all its weight behind Blu-ray later this year, a decision that could serve as a death blow to the rival HD DVD format.

Warner Bros. Studio, which had hinted it might drop one format after the holidays, said it decided to back Blu-ray to try and reduce confusion brought on by the high-def format war and better drive mainstream adoption. Warner made the decision heading into the annual Consumer Electronics Show confab in Las Vegas, where it had been skedded to participate in activities promoting the rival HD DVD format on Sunday evening.

Warner's move leaves only Paramount and Universal squarely in the HD DVD camp. Sony, Fox, Disney and Lionsgate all back Blu-ray. Warner sister company New Line confirmed it will shift allegiance to Blu-ray only as well.

Warner has been the sole major backing both formats since late this summer, when Paramount dropped Blu-ray in favor of HD DVD, due in part to marketing incentives proffered by Toshiba and belief HD DVD's lower cost would drive greater mainstream adoption.

However, hardware manufacturers for both sides offered sizable discounts for players during the holidays, reducing the price gap between the two formats. And studios did their part to dangle promotional incentives on the software side.

Yet Warner found that consumers still hesitated to dip their toes into the high-def waters due to confusion over the dueling formats.

"The price impediment was going away, but the take up wasn't increasing that much," said Warner Home Entertainment topper Kevin Tsujihara. "The research was making it pretty clear there was still a tremendous amount of confusion among consumers."

Supporting both formats came with a cost for the studio, which had to maintain dual inventories for their releases. And while the studio had some of the best sellers on high-def when both formats were added together, they couldn't help but wonder whether dual support was helping, or hurting, the transition to a next-gen format.

"By us being both, we were playing into consumer confusion," Tsujihara said. "There's a window of opportunity with first time buyers of HD TVs to also buy a high-def player at the same time."

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger," Warner Bros. chairman and CEO Barry Meyer seconded.

However, the studio insists that cost was not the underlying motivation for the shift. Paramount drew a lot of flak for taking Toshiba incentives, said to be $150 million, to exclusively back HD DVD.

"This was not a bidding war," Tsujihara said.

He pointed out that worldwide the DVD biz brings in $42 billion annually and his studio draws the greatest portion of that as market share leader.

"That amount far dwarfs any financial incentives," he said.

And indeed, Paramount has maintained that it backed HD DVD because it was generally lower priced and therefore had a greater chance of mass adoption.

Warners' Blu-ray shift has been rumored for some time, but the studio insisted it would wait to see how both formats fared during the crucial holiday sales period before backing one format exclusively. Indeed, late in the fourth quarter, the studio ran full page newspaper ads touting HD DVD benefits on one side and Blu-ray on the other. During this point, homevid topper Ron Sanders talked openly of the need to move beyond the format war and convince consumers of the benefits of high-def (Variety, Dec. 17-23).

Warner’s timing apparently took the HD DVD camp by surprise, however. Thursday afternoon, shortly before Warner said it notified Toshiba of the decision, HD DVD backers were paying media calls. The North American HD DVD Promo Group cancelled its Sunday CES confab after Warner’s went public with the decision Friday afternoon.

Warner's shift toward Blu-ray is expected to hasten the demise of HD DVD. Victory would give Sony a long awaited triumph after Betamax lost the videocassette war to VHS.

Variety.com
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 08:54 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 06:01 PM »
Same rumour when Paramount jumped ship... :-\ :-\ :-\

Warner: No Payoff for Move to Blu-ray

Warner Home Entertainment President Kevin Tsujihara says the studio took no pay-offs to exclusively back Blu-ray.

In a post-announcement conference call, Tsujihara flatly denied rumors that studio had accepted anywhere from 250M to $500M in exchange for dropping its HD DVD format support.

According to the exec, Warner's sole motivation in dropping its HD DVD format support was to ensure growth of the "category" and the long-term health of the industry.

"The packaged media business is a $42 billion dollar business worldwide at the retail level, and we [Warner] have the largest market share of anybody," said Tsujihara. "From our perspective, the most important piece of this whole puzzle is, "How do we get growth back into this category?" That far outweighed anything else."

This [decision] was one hundred percent around what makes the most sense for the consumer, the retailer and the industry. This was not a bidding war. This was all about what was best, strategically, for us."

source

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #65 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 09:57 PM »
darn it. my hd-dvd player hasn't even arrived here in the Phils. yet...and it looks like it will be obsolete soon. Now the only question is, when will the price of the PS3 or other blu-ray players be at hd-dvd player price levels? 

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 10:10 PM »
Interesting insights to why Warner dumped neutrality. May trickle effect yung Format War sa sales sa Standard DVDs too.

Blu-Ray Stand Alone Outsell HD DVD Stand Alone in December

Meanwhile, industry observer "Media Wonk" (aka Paul Sweeting) has also posted an interesting feature over at Content Agenda, in which a couple of points that we've been making lately here at The Bits are confirmed by Warner's Sanders. First, Blu-ray stand alone players outsold HD-DVD in December. Here's the quote:

"One of the things you see in the NPD data for this fourth quarter was that even with a $100 premium, BD set-tops outsold HD set-tops in December," said Sanders. "Even with Toshiba having the lower-cost player in the marekt, software sales remained 2-to-1 in favor of Blu-ray. Our titles were running roughly 60/40 Blu-ray and that didn't change in the fourth quarter even with the price advantage HD had on the hardware side."

"You also can't underestimate the impact of PS3 as a playback device," Sanders said. "The attachment rate may not be very high, and in fact it isn't, but in the aggregate that still adds up to a lot of software sales."

Second, many avid movie buyers have stopped purchasing DVDs while they've been waiting for the format war to end...

"We're seeing research now that shows that consumers are starting to delay purchases because of the format war, not just on high-def but standard-def purchases as well. That's very alarming."

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#itsover

« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2008 at 10:25 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 10:33 PM »
Honestly, I'm happy with the announcement. Sorry guys, I don't hate HD DVD. It's just that I'm already a fanboy of... not Blu-ray, but of Sony products...   ;D That's why I go for Blu. Ayaw ko na ng maraming gastos eh...

... anyway, still hoping for Transformers to come back to Blu...
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 11:06 PM »
darn it. my hd-dvd player hasn't even arrived here in the Phils.

Wrong timing? No worry bro, you can still buy those HD DVD exclusive for the time being...;D

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:25 AM »
darn it. my hd-dvd player hasn't even arrived here in the Phils. yet...and it looks like it will be obsolete soon. Now the only question is, when will the price of the PS3 or other blu-ray players be at hd-dvd player price levels? 

Same here.  A3 already in transit to enable me to go neutral.  Anyways, no worries - i'll just treat it like I bought ten (10) HD discs and got a free player to boot.  ;)  There's no denying though that this is clearly a solid blow to HD-DVD's cause - let's see how effectively the RED camp can do damage control.  ;)

Kudos to Bluray for a sound strategy with the PS3 'trojan-horse' insertion and for spearheading the aggressive BOGO deals. Very consistent.  ;D

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:38 AM »
Warner Bros. backs Blu-ray
Studio to support Sony high-def format

Warner sister company New Line confirmed it will shift allegiance to Blu-ray only as well.

Per the updated newsline below, seems like the 'blu-jump' of the Warner affiliates ain't official yet...  ;)

Warner: New Line, HBO Not Covered By Blu-ray Announcement (UPDATED)
Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 08:35 PM ET

UPDATE: (3:10am ET, 1/05/08) Variety is reporting that Warner sister company New Line has confirmed that it too plans to shift to Blu-ray exclusivity.

Though it's widely expected that Warner Bros. subsidiaries New Line and HBO will follow Warner Home Entertainment to Blu-ray exclusivity, for the moment they remain format-agnostic.

That's according to Warner Home Entertainment President Kevin Tsujihara, who said that the studio's announcement that it would drop HD DVD support does not extend to titles released by New Line, HBO or the BBC (which Warner distributes here in the US).

"They'll be making whatever decision they're going to make," said Tsujihara. "I assume they'll let people know very quickly, but they are not covered by this initial announcement."

Tsujihara's comments came in a post-announcement conference call with various members of the media, including High-Def Digest.

Stay tuned for more news from the Warner conference call...

Source: Hi Def Digest

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 01:03 AM »
Here's a cool unbiased reactionary write-up of Daniel H. in DVD Talk to the WB goes Blu topic.. (wow 94+ blazin' pages already in the AVS forums in just a couple of days!)  It may make some of you feel a tad better if you could identify with the writer...  ;)

Warner Goes Blu

Normally I wouldn't post a new HD Talk column so soon on the heels of the the previous one, but when a studio drops neutrality and announces format exclusivity, you have to break with convention. On January 4th, 2008, Warner Bros. announced that they would phase out their HD DVD releases in favor of Blu-ray, not producing any new HD DVD discs after the month of May. While rumors of WB going non-neutral have been circulating for weeks, the news itself still comes as shock, especially when you consider that Warner had several strong financial incentives to back HD DVD. In fact, there's word going around that WB intended to go HD DVD exclusive in conjunction with Fox (you read that right: Fox) going format neutral. At the 11th hour, Fox backed out, and Warner decided to go with Blu-ray instead.

Whether or not the above is true, the fact remains that the decision is momentous. Anyone roaming the information superhighway on this night can see that the general consensus is that this move signifies the end of HD DVD. Not in an immediate, all the discs are off the shelves tomorrow, every HD DVD rises in value 1000% kind of way, of course. But this is the start of a chain reaction that will spread to the rest of the studios. We're already hearing reports of Universal looking at Blu-ray authoring houses and Paramount studying the clauses that might let them out of their exclusivity contract. Within hours of the announcement, the HD DVD group canceled their CES presentation. The writing appears to be on the wall.

Warner Bros. upcoming blockbuster The Dark Knight will now be available only on Blu-ray.

Previously, I was of the opinion that this format war was doing us, the consumers, much more good than harm. Without it, would we have seen players become as cheap as they are, or get a new Buy One Get One Free sale every week? Would we have seen titles that consistently hit new heights of quality and innovation? Absolutely not. But by now, it seems as if perhaps we've gotten the gains and are starting to feel the losses. A stalemate in format sales and increasing tension between the two camps were only compounded by the seeming indifference by the vast majority of electronics buyers out there. It's possible that Warner Bros. move could be the very thing that shifts the tide.

Of course, it cannot be denied that this leaves HD DVD owners out in the cold. Some people are already throwing their hands up in disgust, trying to dump their players and discs before the ink is even dry on the press release. I would wager that I have far more HD DVD titles than most, including several large and expensive box sets, but I have no regrets about my purchases. I went into this knowing full well that there were two competing formats and that more than likely one of them would give way to the other. I've spent countless hours enjoying all kinds of movies, from classics like Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood, to modern masterpieces like 2001: A Space Odyssey and Unforgiven, and brand new releases like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. And that's not even counting all of the great releases from Universal and Paramount.

Even better, none of those discs are going anywhere. I will be able to enjoy all of these movies for years and even decades to come. Heck, I still have some of my old laserdiscs, so there's no reason why I wouldn't be holding on to HD DVDs in 2018. The other thing to think about is that as the HD DVD format fades away, the prices for the hardware and the media are going to drop sharply, meaning an eagle-eyed buyer can stock up on all those missing pieces in their collection for pennies on the dollar. Perhaps, in the right light, this negative could still be seen as a positive.

But will Paramount's much-anticipated Iron Man only be on HD DVD?

Where does the future lead? It's hard to say. I doubt Blu-ray will overtake DVD anytime soon, although having everyone on the same page will offer some kind of boost to awareness and sales. I would like to think that companies can now turn to ironing out the remaining issues the format has. For example, so few players are currently Profile 1.1 enabled (and let's not even go into Profile 2.0 yet, as so far no player is compliant on that), and getting DTS-HD MA decoding is like pulling teeth. Warner Bros. was a leader in HD DVD interactivity, and with a new commitment to Blu-ray, they will hopefully blaze new trails on that front, as well. The possibilities are wide open.

Finally, what does this mean for DVD Talk? After all, we've been staunchly format neutral, even when other sites have felt compelled to hunker down behind one format or the other. Now that I've just spent an entire article prophesying the end of HD DVD, does that mean that DVD Talk has finally broken its cardinal rule, and gone to fatefully pick a format of choice? No, not at all. My opinions on the future of HD media are just that--my opinions. It's my analysis based on the facts at hand. DVD Talk will continue to report on both formats comprehensively for as long as they're being made. We have nothing to gain by supporting one format or another, as the site is here for the readers. While we may make recommendations on which discs are worth buying, renting, skipping, what have you, we seek out a variety of opinions and don't see the value in telling anyone to buy only one format, as so many of the staff members at HD Talk own both. You can count on DVD Talk to offer neutral and unbiased HD coverage for as long as there's something to be unbiased and neutral about.

-Daniel Hirshleifer

Source: DVD Talk - HD News

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 01:42 AM »
HD DVDs future is 'bleak' indeed.

But who knows, it may become a niche format like the LD.  ;D

I just hope that with only one major format we don't have to pay premium for the softwares as there is no more competition in the market.

Yup, blu-ray BOGOs may be a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 02:28 AM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 02:03 AM »

New Line Confirms Going Blu-ray Exclusive

Warner Home Video's announcement yesterday declaring exclusive support for Blu-ray Disc starting in June left a lot of unanswered questions on the table. One of the bigger unknowns was how the announcement would affect HBO and New Line, both of whom are owned by Time/Warner.

Via Variety (read story), we can now confirm New Line Home Entertainment has taken a stance, and that stance is bathed in Blu. New Line only began releasing high-def titles in November starting with Hairspray, and only one New Line HD DVD title has been released: Pan's Labyrinth. Additional HD DVD new theatrical titles were held up due to region timing issues, and now it looks as if these titles may never see the light of day.

http://dvd.themanroom.com/news/New_Line_Confirms_Going_Blu-ray_Exclusive/1889

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117978461.html?categoryid=1009&cs=1
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 02:18 AM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 07:13 AM »
No format war probably means no more BOGO.  :P

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 08:52 AM »
Yup, BOGO could be wiped out too.... :-X

Guess the money we saved from HD DVD will be used for Blu-ray. :)

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 08:58 AM »
Per the updated newsline below, seems like the 'blu-jump' of the Warner affiliates ain't official yet...  ;)

Warner: New Line, HBO Not Covered By Blu-ray Announcement (UPDATED)
Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 08:35 PM ET

UPDATE: (3:10am ET, 1/05/08) Variety is reporting that Warner sister company New Line has confirmed that it too plans to shift to Blu-ray exclusivity.

Though it's widely expected that Warner Bros. subsidiaries New Line and HBO will follow Warner Home Entertainment to Blu-ray exclusivity, for the moment they remain format-agnostic.

That's according to Warner Home Entertainment President Kevin Tsujihara, who said that the studio's announcement that it would drop HD DVD support does not extend to titles released by New Line, HBO or the BBC (which Warner distributes here in the US).

"They'll be making whatever decision they're going to make," said Tsujihara. "I assume they'll let people know very quickly, but they are not covered by this initial announcement."

Tsujihara's comments came in a post-announcement conference call with various members of the media, including High-Def Digest.

Stay tuned for more news from the Warner conference call...

Source: Hi Def Digest

There's an insertion in the article you quoted that mentions the same Variety news I quoted. Also VideoBusiness mentions the same story. So no more Hairspray for HD DVD, especially no more LOTR.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 08:59 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 09:33 AM »
Ito na naman si urong-sulong director... ;D ;D ;D

Michael Bay: "Blu-ray is Just Better"

Outspoken director Michael Bay has once again posted his views on the format war, discussing how he feels about the recent announcement that Warner Brothers would exclusively support Blu-ray. After claiming HD DVD would "die a slow death", he gave hope to his fans that his recent blockbuster film 'Transformers' would one day be on Blu-ray.

"Well another studio down. Maybe I was right? Blu ray is just better. HD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray. That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins. Hd better start giving out those $120 million dollars checks to stay alive. Maybe they can give me some so I can give it to my Make-A-Wish charity, just to shut me up. Have faith people Transformers will come out in Blu-ray one day!"

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=807
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 09:34 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #78 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 09:49 AM »
Been reading this ever-growing thread since yesterday!
Hitting me like a ton of bricks!!! That my first dip in the hi-def world w/
a tosh a-3(that has yet to arrive :() will soon be over before it begins!!!

Oh well, enjoy ko na din muna 1st 3hd-dvd(in transit din) Top Gun, Transformers
and Eagles:Farewell Tour....hehehe magiging collector's items ito ;D

Sana naman hd will go the dvd-audio route
 ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 09:50 AM by docelmo »
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:55 PM »
Ito na naman si urong-sulong director... ;D ;D ;D

Michael Bay: "Blu-ray is Just Better"

Outspoken director Michael Bay has once again posted his views on the format war, discussing how he feels about the recent announcement that Warner Brothers would exclusively support Blu-ray. ...

I'm shocked that a famous personality would write that in a very public forum.  In American culture, gloating is considered incredibly rude.

Ewan ko lang sa Pinoy culture, wala nga yatang Tagalog equivalent ang salitang "gloat".  Wala nga ba?
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 01:04 PM by barrister »

Offline 1ringwd4s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • One Ring with The Force
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 01:54 PM »

New Line Confirms Going Blu-ray Exclusive

Warner Home Video's announcement yesterday declaring exclusive support for Blu-ray Disc starting in June left a lot of unanswered questions on the table. One of the bigger unknowns was how the announcement would affect HBO and New Line, both of whom are owned by Time/Warner.

Via Variety (read story), we can now confirm New Line Home Entertainment has taken a stance, and that stance is bathed in Blu. New Line only began releasing high-def titles in November starting with Hairspray, and only one New Line HD DVD title has been released: Pan's Labyrinth. Additional HD DVD new theatrical titles were held up due to region timing issues, and now it looks as if these titles may never see the light of day.

http://dvd.themanroom.com/news/New_Line_Confirms_Going_Blu-ray_Exclusive/1889

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117978461.html?categoryid=1009&cs=1

oh man. imagine LOTR in Blu.
One Ring with The Force

Offline 1ringwd4s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • One Ring with The Force
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 01:58 PM »
Does this mean The Matrix and Batman Begins will be available in Blu format anytime soon?
One Ring with The Force

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #82 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 04:24 PM »
Does this mean The Matrix and Batman Begins will be available in Blu format anytime soon?

I guess not anytime soon...
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 04:25 PM »
But I'm still looking forward to that...
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 05:14 PM »
Most probably sooner since lalabas na yung Dark Knight... ;D ;D ;D

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 06:44 PM »
i'm guessing Universal and Dreamworks would go back na? lols

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 07:26 PM »
CNET also picked up on the Warner news and gives out an advise in its Quick Guide: HD vs Blu Ray

Editor's note, January 5, 2008: Because of the recent news that Warner Bros. Entertainment will be exclusively supporting Blu-ray, CNET recommends refraining from purchasing an HD DVD player in the near future. Exclusive support of Warner Bros. Entertainment gives Blu-ray a large advantage in terms of studio backing, leaving only Paramount and Universal as major studios releasing movies exclusively on the HD DVD format. This guide will be overhauled after CES to reflect this and any other news announced at the show.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-6462511-1.html

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 08:00 PM »
a look at Blu-ray and HD DVD exclusives for 2008

Universal
American Gangster
Charlie Wilson's War (Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts).
Wanted
The Incredible Hulk
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Mamma Mia!
The Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Paramount/Dreamworks

Bee Movie
Beowulf
Sweeney Todd
1-18-08 (Cloverfield)
The Spiderwick Chronicles
Kung Fu Panda (animated from Dreamworks)
The Love Guru (Mike Myers new comedy)
Tropic Thunder (Spielberg produced Action Comedy with Ben Stiller)
Iron Man

Warner
Fred Claus
I Am Legend
Get Smart
The Dark Knight
Speed Racer
10,000 B.C.

New Line
The Golden Compass
Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo

Sony
Vantage Point
Hancock
Step Brothers
You Don't Mess with Zohan (Adam Sandler)

Fox/MGM
Hitman
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
The Mist
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
Starship Dave (Eddie Murphy)
X-Files 2 (films in December, supposed to come out in July at theaters)
Jumper
Horton Hears a Who

Disney
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Wall-E
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 08:02 PM by Munskie »

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 08:43 PM »
There's one way for Toshiba to survive: they will suddenly announce a player which can play both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. Now this is what I call a real consumer friendly move!   Wishful thinking!

Offline jcdvo

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 09:58 PM »

if its for the hd-dvd format's survival its about time to consider free licensing. ;D'

who knows, hd-dvd may become hd for the masses just like what vcd is to dvd here. ::)