Author Topic: BREAKING DEVELOPMENT: Warner Bros. Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive!  (Read 24866 times)

Offline darkwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BREAKING DEVELOPMENT: Warner Bros. Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive!
« Reply #150 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 06:48 AM »
HBO Confirms Switch to Blu-ray Exclusivity

As expected, HBO Home Video has fallen in line with parent Warner, confirming that it too will drop HD DVD support in favor of Blu-ray.

HBO Home Video president Henry McGee told the Hollywood Reporter today that the company will be "following the same policy as Warner Home Video" and will no longer release titles on HD DVD.

Distributed under the Warner umbrella along with New Line Home Entertainment and BBC Home Video, HBO had been format-neutral, releasing titles in both Blu-ray and HD DVD. Following New Line's move to Blu-ray, HBO now becomes the third Warner company to abandon HD DVD, leaving only the BBC (which Warner distributes domestically) to declare its future format intentions.

McGee offered no further details on the HBo Video's plans to transition to sole Blu-ray support, or the fate of its current HD DVD releases, which include two box set releases of the top-selling 'The Sopranos.'

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/HBO/Industry_Trends/HBO_Confirms_Switch_to_Blu-ray_Exclusivity/1357

I'm glad I hold off buying the Band of Brothers DVD set ^_^ release it in BD already!

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 07:28 AM »
I'm glad I hold off buying the Band of Brothers DVD set ^_^ release it in BD already!

DreamWorks holds the rights to BoB. :( :( :(
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2008 at 07:29 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 07:42 AM »
MY TWO CENTS - 1/9/08 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

We remain convinced that both Paramount and Universal are moving towards announcing Blu-ray Disc support soon, and we have real reason for that belief, not the least of which is that our sources in this situation are second to none - a fact which should be readily obvious by now. Announcements could happen tomorrow, they could happen next week, they could happen next month. We'd be surprised if it took longer than a month or two. We're hearing that Universal may not announce until February at the earliest, as we're given to understand that their contract period with the HD-DVD camp expires at the end of January. So everyone needs to just take a deep breath and relax. We know that's hard, given how fast things have been moving this past week. Rest assured, sources continue to tell us that Paramount and Universal are going Blu, but sorting out all the legal details and organizing the logistics takes time. The Warner move was apparently well planned, but Paramount and Universal have only just started that process. They may or may not continue releasing HD-DVDs for a time - we'll have to wait and see. But retailers are now seriously pressuring these studios to go Blu, and we'd be surprised if many mainstream stores still have HD-DVD hardware and software on their shelves come next Christmas. I suspect that Paramount especially wants to be able to announce a few actual titles when they announce their Blu-ray support, and it takes time to get all that ready. Keep in mind that things have been extremely chaotic within the home video industry this week. So everyone just take a deep breath and try to calm down, while we wait for things to play out.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 08:04 AM »
CES: All Quiet on the Universal Front

Amidst mounting speculation that it is soon to shift alliances, Universal Studios has confirmed that it will not be making any new HD DVD title announcements at this year's CES.

Though previous years have seen a cavalcade of title announcements from HD DVD-supporting studios at CES, this year's deafening silence from Universal and Paramount/DreamWorks has only fueled speculation that one (or both) of the studios are plotting a move to format neutrality or perhaps even Blu-ray exclusivity.

While Universal is issuing a terse "no comment" in response to the persistent rumors, a studio spokesperson did confirm for us that they will not be making any new title announcements at this year's CES.

Paramount similarly declined to make any new title announcements at CES, but as we first reported Monday, the studio is shooting down reports that it plans to abandon the format

HiDefDigest

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2008 at 08:05 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #154 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 08:46 AM »
MY TWO CENTS - 1/9/08 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

We remain convinced that both Paramount and Universal are moving towards announcing Blu-ray Disc support soon,

...We're hearing that Universal may not announce until February at the earliest, as we're given to understand that their contract period with the HD-DVD camp expires at the end of January.

Yup, expect the worst. Can't blame them if it really happen cos no one likes to sail & sit on a sinking ship.

Offline 1ringwd4s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • One Ring with The Force
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 10:24 AM »
HBO Confirms Switch to Blu-ray Exclusivity

As expected, HBO Home Video has fallen in line with parent Warner, confirming that it too will drop HD DVD support in favor of Blu-ray.

HBO Home Video president Henry McGee told the Hollywood Reporter today that the company will be "following the same policy as Warner Home Video" and will no longer release titles on HD DVD.

Distributed under the Warner umbrella along with New Line Home Entertainment and BBC Home Video, HBO had been format-neutral, releasing titles in both Blu-ray and HD DVD. Following New Line's move to Blu-ray, HBO now becomes the third Warner company to abandon HD DVD, leaving only the BBC (which Warner distributes domestically) to declare its future format intentions.

McGee offered no further details on the HBo Video's plans to transition to sole Blu-ray support, or the fate of its current HD DVD releases, which include two box set releases of the top-selling 'The Sopranos.'

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/HBO/Industry_Trends/HBO_Confirms_Switch_to_Blu-ray_Exclusivity/1357

Yeah! The Sopranos, Sex and the City!
One Ring with The Force

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 12:57 PM »
DreamWorks holds the rights to BoB. :( :( :(
then its just a matter of time then ^_^

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 05:22 PM »
Still on speculative mode :P :P :P Universal finally going Neutral. Jason Bourne will be blu soon...

Blu-ray could win high-def battle

The two remaining studios backing HD DVD could switch sides soon, ending the high-def format war instantly.

Daily Variety has confirmed that Universal's commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended. And Paramount has an escape clause in its HD DVD contract allowing it to release pics on Blu-ray after Warner Bros.' decision to back that format exclusively.More than one option

Neither studio is ready to throw in the towel immediately, however. Universal is committed to a series of promotions for the high-def format in coming months, and Par has said its current plans are to keep supporting HD DVD, which it backed exclusively in August.

Should Toshiba concede defeat on the format, the decision to drop HD DVD would be made for both studios. But Toshiba doesn't appear ready to do that. At the Consumer Electronics Show, the manufacturer reaffirmed its commitment to the format, noting strong sales during the fourth quarter and indicating it would continue marketing its hardware through 2008.

But retailers may force the HD DVD camp's hand: They're unlikely to keep devoting premium shelf space to a dying format, and at this point, the odds are not in HD DVD's favor. With Warners' defection, only Par and U remain in the HD DVD camp; Sony, Disney, Fox, Lionsgate remain ardent Blu-ray backers. Warner sister companies New Line and HBO are also shifting allegiance to Blu-ray.

Last summer, Blockbuster also threw its weight behind Blu-ray, though some HD DVD discs remain in stores.

And Warner will continue to release HD DVD discs for the next few months to honor its previous commitment to Toshiba, which extends through May 31. Paramount's HD DVD deal, which covers DreamWorks releases, was to run through this year.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117978760.html?categoryid=20&cs=1

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2008 at 05:41 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 05:57 PM »
finally the Trilogy in BD50 gb goodness ^_^

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 02:34 AM »
Not good for Toshiba and HD DVD..

Universal HD DVD exclusivity contract has expired, sits non-renewed

More news from the format war today, and it isn't good for the red camp. Daily Variety has confirmed that Universal's agreement to stick with HD DVD has ended and has not been renewed. Additionally, Paramount has an escape clause in its contract that can be exercised following Warner's departure from the (now dwindling) HD DVD ranks. The article highlights various ongoing commitments both companies have to the format, but we've heard these kind of promises before from studios. It's feeling like a party where everyone leaves at once; nobody wants to be the first out the door, but everyone's looking in that direction.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/10/universal-hd-dvd-exclusivity-contract-has-expired-sits-non-rene/

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 05:22 AM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 07:03 AM »
Universal will stay with HD DVD

http://www.betanews.com/article/HD_DVD_Universal_expected_to_deny_Bluray_rumors/1199974983

5:00 pm ET January 10, 2008 -- Universal Studios has officially dispelled the rumors from Variety that it will drop HD DVD and switch to Blu-ray.
"Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment and also co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group.
The response would have come sooner, but many HD DVD executives were on flights home from CES when the story from Variety broke
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 07:08 AM by SirLaw11 »
Format neutral

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 08:05 AM »

MY TWO CENTS - 1/10/08

(EARLY UPDATE - 1/10/08 - 10:30 AM PST)

Reuters spoke with a number of retailers at CES who, contrary to Toshiba's claims of being supportive, seem afraid of the format war continuing to drag on. Says Wal-Mart's senior vice president in charge of electronics, Gary Severson: "It would be our hope that by this Christmas there would be a clearer choice for the customer, instead of battling back and forth." Best Buy CEO Brad Anderson adds that Warner's decision makes it "a lot easier to see the likelihood that we get to one format, and it makes it easier for us as retailers to help push it to that one format." None of these retailers are likely to immediately remove HD-DVD from their store shelves, for fear of angering those consumers who just purchased the format over the holidays. However, you can be certain that they'll be watching sales figures and will react accordingly.

In order to better assess retailers' possible next moves, we contacted a variety of local Orange County, CA retail locations yesterday (including Best Buy and Circuit City stores, as well as Frys Electronics and a couple of specialty retailers) for an informal poll, and have learned that since Warner's decision on Friday, Blu-ray Disc hardware has begun outselling HD-DVD hardware dramatically, jumping from 3 to 1 early last week to a factor of roughly 20 to 1 (on average) over the weekend. Sales people are now more confidently recommending Blu-ray to their customers as the preferred of the two formats, and there have apparently been returns of HD-DVD decks. Said one Best Buy employee yesterday of HD-DVD: "We'll keep it around until it goes on clearance, but in a couple months, it probably won't be there anymore."

The number of HD-DVD players available for sale on eBay appears to have spiked over the weekend as well.

It gets worse for HD-DVD today. Constantin Film AG (one of Germany's top indie film companies) has announced that it too will go all Blu-ray in the wake of Warner's move, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #162 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 08:31 AM »
This maybe OT. My first TV is a Sony 14" color TV. During the first  year of use, i brought it to the repairman twice before it's declared dead one and half year after. I bought a Sony VCD karaoke player and during it's lifetime (two years more or less) i have it repaired 3x for not reading disc efficiently or not reading at all. Then just yesterday my children's PS2 was pronounced dead by the repairman after less than two years of use. Minsan tuloy gusto kong magduda sa quality ng Sony but then again baka naman malas lang ako sa Sony products! Ang mahal pa naman ng product nila. 

Sana ang manalo talaga sa format war na ito ay ang mga consumers, hindi ang Sony o ang Toshiba o ang mga Film producers! >:(

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 08:53 AM »
Universal will stay with HD DVD

http://www.betanews.com/article/HD_DVD_Universal_expected_to_deny_Bluray_rumors/1199974983

For me I feel Universal isn't telling the whole truth...at least they don't want to result another wide-spread panicking for the HD DVD camp/fans. Sure....currently or in the meantime Universal will continue to support the HD DVD format but what's the next move 6 months from now?

One main thing in their press statement is that they fail to clarify, explain or even mention if their agreement with HD DVD really has ended (this is what everyone wants to know) and what are they going to do about it....  :-\
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 08:54 AM by pchin »

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 08:57 AM »
Digitalbits = Blu-ray Fanboy, everyone knows that Bill Hunt is being paid by sony and putting out more propaganda than any other sony fanboy.

Retailers said HD format war seen dragging on

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN027579720080109
Format neutral

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 09:02 AM »
For me I feel Universal isn't telling the whole truth...at least they don't want to result another wide-spread panicking for the HD DVD camp/fans. Sure....currently or in the meantime Universal will continue to support the HD DVD format but what's the next move 6 months from now?

One main thing in their press statement is that they fail to clarify, explain or even mention if their agreement with HD DVD really has ended (this is what everyone wants to know) and what are they going to do about it....  :-\

They dont have to, people are reading too much between the lines. Universal have invested so much money in HD DVD thats why they are sticking to the format. If and If they decide to leave HD DVD then i will accept the fact that the format is dead. Until then i will still enjoy the format of my choice. The fact that they have stated that they will continue to support HD DVD is good enough for me.  ;D

Sorry for the double post....
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 09:06 AM by SirLaw11 »
Format neutral

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #166 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 10:01 AM »
Microsoft's Xbox could consider Blu-ray support

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN0851332620080108
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 11:11 AM »
Bakit nyo minamadali?   The only thing certain is the decision of Warner to phase out HD DVD.  Everything else is speculation.  and yeah, too much reading between the lines..too much paranoia, and IMO, too much posting of links from other sites.  What is so interesting about that?  Is PinoyDVD supposed to be a mere "portal" of other sites?..I understand this is one of the most favorite sites for many members but everybody interested in high-def should know AVS, high-def digest, reuters, cnn, yahoo, digital bits, engadget, etc. by now right?  What would be most helpful is if somebody would translate the entire texts in Tagalog.  Sorry, I dont have the time to do that.

Out of curiosity, I recently estimated the number of hours I actually spent watching HD DVD.  My conservative estimate is 112 hours (72 hours on each of the 18 titles (viewed 2x each), 20 hours on Heroes, 10 hours on Matrix Trilogy and 10 hours for Planet Earth).  I paid about $180 for my add-on in 2006, so as of this writing, it has costed me an additional $1.61 per viewing time on top of the cost of the software itself (many of which are free).  So for those who own like 200 HD DVD titles, you are good for at least 5 years.  In all honesty, what are the chances youd be as interested and passionate and excited in your present collection of titles 5 years from now???   Occassional re-watching maybe.

And although I concede that it would be very very tough for HD DVD to turn this thing around, I just look at the likes of Heroes, The Matrix, The Bourne Trilogy, Transformers..and say...BELAT...sukang suka na ako sa kakaulit, hintay pa rin kayo ng hintay ng BD version...he he he..just taking it easy guys...yeah yeah, BD may eventually have all these titles too..hintay hintay lang kayo.. BD may win it all but it's fine by me...and as long as HD DVD releases titles I want to buy (not to collect - to buy because it is too expensive for me to go to moviehouses), then I'll continue to support HD DVD, added bonus na that the add-on works perfectly with my PC as well.

So when do I buy a PS3?  kapag wala na akong mabiling HD DVD.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:04 PM »

They dont have to, people are reading too much between the lines. Universal have invested so much money in HD DVD thats why they are sticking to the format. If and If they decide to leave HD DVD then i will accept the fact that the format is dead. Until then i will still enjoy the format of my choice. The fact that they have stated that they will continue to support HD DVD is good enough for me.  ;D

Yup, they dont have to but that's exactly what causing more wild fire speculations..... ;D

Agreed! Regardless of the outcome, we can still enjoy HD DVD for many many years to come with our HD DVD players. ;) Nevertheless, we can't deny the fact that Warner's defection does indeed bring a big impact to the HD industry & consumers.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:55 PM by pchin »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:42 PM »
we only need the remaining studios (30% left) to go neutral and that's it ^_^ which maybe not so far away....

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006254.html
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM by darkwing »

Offline aiebo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 03:48 PM »
honga wag natin madaliin.. ganyan din ang nangyari sa bluray last year. ang daming kuro kuro na mawawala na ang bluray kagaya ng nangyari sa betamax, md, umd... blah blah blah...  :D

hintayin na lang natin  ;D malay natin at baka bumaliktad na naman lahat. :P
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 03:49 PM by aiebo »

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 04:26 PM »
Universal Re-Affirms HD DVD Support
Thu Jan 10, 2008 at 06:39 PM ET

Responding to published reports that its commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended, Universal has issued a new statement of support for HD DVD.

"Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment and co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group.

Graffeo's comments follow a report in yesterday's Variety that Universal's agreement to exclusively support HD DVD had ended and had not been renewed. The report went on to speculate that both Universal and Paramount could switch sides soon, ending the high-def format war instantly.

A Universal spokesperson told us this afternoon that the studio plans to issue new upcoming HD DVD title announcements in the near future.

The HD DVD Promotions Group is also said to be planning its own statement regarding the rumors of a Universal switch to format neutrality.

SOUCE: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Universal/Industry_Trends/Universal_Re-Affirms_HD_DVD_Support/1362

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 05:11 PM »
Phew...for the moment there I thought I was in AVS Forum, with Amir speculating HD DVD winnability.

From the New York Times

HD DVDs Fall Like Dominoes

Nothing has been announced, but Variety is reporting that the last two major studios backing HD DVD — NBC Universal and Paramount — are opening the door for a switch to Blu-ray. These studios have commitments to release some discs this year in HD DVD, but both have ended their exclusive commitment to that format, which is backed by a group led by Toshiba.
This comes after Warner Brothers, which had been issuing movies in both formats, decided to go exclusively with Sony’s Blu-ray format. Variety also reports that retailers may also put pressure on Universal and Paramount to back Blu-ray. Last summer, Blockbuster decided to go with Blu-ray only.
So what appeared to be a stalemate may, with one relatively small move by Warner, now turn out to be a quick victory for Sony. The fight between the systems has hurt studios, electronics makers and consumers. And I suspect a winner — any winner — will be welcomed by all sides (except Toshiba and Microsoft, a key partner).
Of course, one reason for the standoff is that there are real merits to both sides, as many of the comments to our post on Warner’s move expressed.
Loosely speaking, Blu-ray discs can hold more data, while HD DVD discs and players are less expensive to make. Also, several readers who have used both say they prefer the menu system on the current batch of HD DVD players. My take on this is that once the format wars are over, the normal process of engineering improvements will work through many of the kinks in Blu-ray. Costs for this sort of thing just go down, and they fall faster with volume. Menus are software and can be fixed. Again, everybody benefits from a standard.
The other interesting discussion is whether we really need a high-definition disc at all. Some people suggested that the latest round of “upconverting” DVD players can turn the 480 lines of resolution on DVDs into a very nice picture on a 720 or 1080 line HD set.
I don’t have a personal view on this. The Hansell household is currently served by a 20-year-old, 13-inch Hitachi set that is particularly well suited to foggy dream sequences. But I do know that in electronics shops, big numbers sell. Look at the people who raced to buy cameras with far more megapixels than they ever would need for 4-by-6 prints. (I know those are fighting words to some.) If a high-definition player and disc was just a tiny bit more money than a standard one, lots of people would say, why not go for it?
But do we need discs at all? With Comcast promising high-definition downloads in 4 minutes and prices of flash memory falling like a rock, maybe we will jump right to a world where video simply lives as a file on a hard drive or flash disk.
There’s logic to that, of course, at least in an engineering sort of way. Why spend all the money and time to stamp out discs and distribute them through stores, when the information on them can be simply zapped over a network to someone’s television?
I wouldn’t bet against this vision in the long run at all. But I also suspect there will be enough demand for physical discs over the next decade to justify the industry’s moves. Consumers have a practical rationality and they understand that discs give them simplicity and control that is elusive for now in an all-digital environment. Instead of relying on some sort of software system to find a movie, you simply pull one off your shelf, out of your pile or from under the bed — however you like to keep your movies.
And it is still not clear what you get when you buy a movie download. Consider Wal-Mart’s shuttered movie download service. People who bought movies from the service cannot move them onto new computers to play because of the digital-rights management scheme used.
As with the disc technology, all these problems with downloads will get worked through over the coming years.
But for now, if you actually want a copy of a movie that you can count on playing in the future, it’s rational to buy one in a format supported by all the players in the industry, and one that exists in three dimensions. The seeming triumph of Blu-ray only makes that easier and safer.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 05:26 PM »
I remember just last month how HD DVD fanboys made fun of bluray.com with a fake report about WB pending BD exclusive which proved to be true. Yeah WB made a lot of similar press releases denying the inevitable.  Many of Bill Hunt's indusry rumours proved to be true at least. Now if either remaining HD DVD studios were to come out with a added list of upcoming releases til december with dates to prove its commitment to the format, I will be convinced HD DVD will still be around next holiday season. All they mention is their support are for the short term. They know if they withdrew their support now, there will be a lot of returned players and discs.

From Wall Street Journal

Mistah HD DVD–He Dead …

Reports of HD DVD’s death may have been exaggerated, but reports of its fast-declining health have not.

Though Paramount Pictures has denied reports that it plans to abandon the next-generation DVD format, news of an escape clause in its HD DVD contract allowing it to release films on Blu-ray has the industry wondering aloud about the format’s continued viability.

And for good reason. Earlier this week Universal dropped its exclusive support of HD DVD. And last Friday, on the eve of the Consumer Electronics Show, Warner Bros. stunned the industry by announcing plans to end support of the format entirely in June. “[That] maybe the pivotal event that resolves the format war,” said Thomas Coughlin of Coughlin Associates. “It certainly changes the rules and the playing field. I think everyone is trying to reassess what this means–including the HD DVD guys. [If Blu-ray does come out on top] it would be poetic justice after the Betamax vs. VHS war. That time, Sony lost.”

But is it truly the format’s death knell? Ovum analyst Carl Gressum says no. “There is a lot of speculation whether this is the end of HD DVD,” he said. “It is not, but we are getting dangerously close to a ‘chapter 11’ for the group. If the other supporting studios now decide to drop HD DVD, the situation will turn dire, and HD DVD could become more of a replacement to DVD on the PC client than as a movie-distribution playback format.”

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 08:19 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 05:30 PM »
MY TWO CENTS - 1/10/08 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has just released a brief statement with regards to its HD-DVD support. EVP of HD strategic marketing Ken Graffeo says the following: "Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format."

It's worth noting that nothing in this statement negates the possibility of Universal announcing Blu-ray support (in addition to HD-DVD) in the future. This is similar to Paramount's recent official comments that they intend to continue supporting HD-DVD as well, which does not preclude possible future Blu-ray Disc support. One would expect a similar statement out of Toshiba and/or the HD-DVD Promotions Group soon as well. Regardless, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to realize that they're being careful about their phrasing so as to keep their options open. We'd frankly expect both studios to continue releasing HD-DVD product for some time, regardless of any Blu-ray plans they might announce in the future.

By the way, we contacted The Weinstein Company and Genius Products today. A spokesperson told us that the company hadn't firmed up their HD plans yet.

Meanwhile, the bad mainstream press for HD-DVD keeps mounting. The New York Times' technology section features a report entitled "HD DVDs Fall Like Dominoes" today. And The Wall Street Journal's Digital Digital column goes a step further with "Mistah HD DVD - He Dead..." It will be interesting to see how all these press reports out of CES, in the wake of Warner's Blu-ray move, will impact the high-def hardware and software sales numbers over the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 08:18 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 06:49 PM »
its really sad. i chose HD DVD as at that time... the xbox addon was too good a deal to turn down. then i got an A3. i preferred HD DVD to win as the standards were more set... and more "open" in a way.

hope it doesnt die completely. competition was good...until this happened. hd dvds were going down in price..players as well.

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 08:46 PM »
its really sad. i chose HD DVD as at that time... the xbox addon was too good a deal to turn down. then i got an A3. i preferred HD DVD to win as the standards were more set... and more "open" in a way.

hope it doesnt die completely. competition was good...until this happened. hd dvds were going down in price..players as well.

Yup, not only on the HD DVD side but a lot of BOGOs on the blu-ray side as well. ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 08:47 PM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 05:38 AM »

it was competition that drove Warner to chose a side, confusing kasi with two formats, ok lang if all studios were neutral but it's not

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 08:36 AM »
Ok this just came in from a known HD DVD fanboy site...Marami nagagalit na >:( >:( >:(

Universal: 'current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format.' Currently.

Universal Studios issued a terse statement today, denying rumors that the HD DVD stalwart is looking to take advantage of that lapsed exclusivity contract and jump ship for cross-town high-def adversary, Blu-ray. Ken Graffeo – veep of HD strategic marketing at Universal and also co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group – said simply "Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format." That Universal's response was almost verbatim to HD DVD ally Paramount's should come as little surprise. How about this, movie executive types: let us know about your future plans and we'll skirt this whole song and dance, okay?

[Thanks to everyone who sent this in!]

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/10/universal-current-plan-is-to-continue-to-support-the-hd-dvd-fo/
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2008 at 08:43 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 08:47 AM »
How about this, movie executive types: let us know about your future plans and we'll skirt this whole song and dance, okay?

Very similar to the previous news...yeah we want to know teh answer to that question! ;D