Author Topic: Did the rise in PESO value affected your DVD buying behavior?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Those P299 DVDs doesn't look that tempting as they used to.  Back then P299 = $5.30.  Now it's $7.15.  I know that P299 is still P299, but it does give you $2 reason why you should order them from Amazon doesn't it?  Sadly, I still saw a lot of DVDs here priced at P900 price range, costing more than Amazon.  At that price, why not just start collecting blue-ray or HD-DVD?

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
Re: Did the rise in PESO value affected your DVD buying behavior?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:49 AM »
Most of those P895 DVDs are being slashed to 50% off during weekends quite regularly over the past several months. Then again, cost of living in the US is different so... I'm personally not sure how to calculate for that with regards to the weakening dollar.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 01:09 AM »
Those P299 DVDs doesn't look that tempting as they used to.  Back then P299 = $5.30.  Now it's $7.15.  I know that P299 is still P299, but it does give you $2 reason why you should order them from Amazon doesn't it?  Sadly, I still saw a lot of DVDs here priced at P900 price range, costing more than Amazon.  At that price, why not just start collecting blue-ray or HD-DVD?

You're right. It seems you have to spend your Philippine-earned money abroad to actually feel its increased value. Prices here didn't exactly decrease, so it's as if the peso didn't appreciate by 20% for the past year.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 02:18 AM »
Darn...the Peso appreciation tempted me to spend 5x more than my normal budget. I kept justifying it's ok cos "I'm spending less but getting more"....When my card statement comes...tears of joy! :'(

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 06:53 AM »
You're right. It seems you have to spend your Philippine-earned money abroad to actually feel its increased value. Prices here didn't exactly decrease, so it's as if the peso didn't appreciate by 20% for the past year.

I read somewhere that the peso appreciation tempered the increases at the gas pump.  If it had remained in the high 40s to 1$ when fuel has now reached $100 per barrel, you could be spending P55 per liter or more by now.  The problem is that when the peso appreciates, prices of goods tend to remain the same so importers, local manufacturers and their retailers can enjoy a higher profit margin. Rarely is the benefit passed on to consumers.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2008 at 07:06 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 06:59 AM »
Darn...the Peso appreciation tempted me to spend 5x more than my normal budget. I kept justifying it's ok cos "I'm spending less but getting more"....When my card statement comes...tears of joy! :'(

When the peso appreciates, your peso income has more real value.  But when you spend for goods whose prices remained the same, you are actually spending more.  ;D

Just imagine an extreme case scenario when the exchange rate becomes 1:1 but the prices of goods remained the same.   Your P299 DVD would then be equivalent to $299.   ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2008 at 07:05 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 10:09 AM »
Those P299 DVDs doesn't look that tempting as they used to.  Back then P299 = $5.30.  Now it's $7.15.  I know that P299 is still P299, but it does give you $2 reason why you should order them from Amazon doesn't it?

Not at all in my book, since:

a. Most older catalog titles still retail at Amazon for $9.95-14.99;

b. A large number of Magnavision's 299 titles have been selling for 199. I just repurchased The Fast and the Furious for 199 (my old R1 is missing :(), and it's a DVD9 of exceptional quality;

c. In addition to the $4.99 per shipment rate, you now pay an additional $3.99 PER DVD that you buy from Amazon; and

d. The post offices are a lot more strict these days when applying the "You're taxed over $50" rule for your bigger shipments, and $50 buys far less DVDs that it used to, so your shipments are smaller.

It's actually because of these reasons that I now almost never buy R1s from Amazon if they're available locally. Unless, of course, they're C-Interactive releases.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2008 at 10:12 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 11:05 AM »
Speaking of which, the Inquirer's headline today reads "Peso rises to 40.75/dollar"
Man speaks well for the economy but the OCWs earning in $ who are bringing in the 'dough' are clearly not jumping for joy. 

Anyway on my end, the floored-price of DVDs definitely enticed be to grab a few titles here and there but am actually saving up more for my HD drive.  Now here is where you see the peso-appreciation is working wonders for me given that most of the HD items am purchasing is via Amazon - US.  ;)

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 03:35 PM »
Some stores follow the decreasing value of the dollar. I know of one comic book shop that does, also a videogame store. But the latter is slow in enforcing it.

Offline taurus_cute

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 07:27 PM »
FOR FOLKS who could apportioned expendable or serious money for impulse or cultural commodities like a DVD disk - a peso appreciation is a godsend, it should be welcomed with glee & fully opened arms. A peso's dampening in value is by all rules always a bad, demeaning thing for us, for our national economy. Pagbalik-baliktarin mo man ang lahat ng dimensions ng peso devaluation - there is no qualifiable good that it could bring. I'm an aged fellow and my youthful days in the 1970s & the 1980s resonated well in me that devaluation harmfully impacts our collective lives immeasurably, that we should defend our currency at all cost. Can anyone in here closely recall the days when the peso is P8 to every dollar, that was 27 years ago and life was qualifiably better, the day after is more predictable, fewer souls are in monetary anguish or anxiety.

That the peso has bounced back and is now at that reasonable & reassuring exchange level makes the moment the most superb season to beef up one's DVD collection, especially if one happens to be taking DVDs that has an archival or educational value - not Hollywood, slam-bang action, types DVDs which could be had at any moment's notice anyway from a Maranao vendor. This is your season collector, exploit these opportune days. If not for the rampant, rapacious thievery in our post offices (which is a moribund industry because it harbors so many thieving worthless scoundrels), these are the seasons to import small, non-industrial, things from North America.

Its ironic that some people prodigiously sustained their collecting when the peso was at its bleak point - at P56 - fearing the misguided forecasts from doomsayers and the perpetual cycle of socio-economic chaos  - that the devaluation would mire the peso into the P60-level mud. Now that it has recovered and pegged precariously at P40 - the strengthened peso, at least in my hands, could not find many things of interest to buy, ah the ironies of our short, lamentable life......

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 06:19 PM »
Can anyone in here closely recall the days when the peso is P8 to every dollar, that was 27 years ago

Ang naabutan ko was P15-P20 to $1. Ah, good times.

Offline Xavier

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 10:41 AM »
What I meant from my original topic was, the increased value of the peso narrowed the price difference between ordering R1 DVDs from Amazon to buying R3 here.  It gives us more reason to go after R1.  The price of Fantastic Four Rise Of The Silver Surfer 2 DVD set is cheaper in Amazon than buying it here.  If the dollar kept sliding down further to around Php35/$1 then to those of us who have relatives and contacts in the US will start collecting R1 exclusively or start collecting blueray/HD titles.

If you're buying exclusively R3 here then the dollar depreciation won't affect you.  Although I think the surge of quality Php199 titles has a lot to do with it.

Offline choy

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 02:19 AM »
aren't the 299 DVDs the cheap quality DVDs?  like no bonus content, no surround sound, etc?

and the 899s are the ones that are more or less identical with the R1 versions?

by the way, don't think that its only in the Philippines that prices don't change when the currency appreciates.  here in Canada the loonie appreciated from 83US cents to 1 Canadian dollar up to 1.10 US$ per 1 CAD.  but prices didn't change much until much consumer uproar.  and its not the uproar that really changed the minds of the retailers about lowering their prices.  its just the fact that the US is about an hour drive away for most Canadians and there were a record number of people crossing the border just for bargains and the businesses actually started having lower than normal sales.  unfortunately in the Philippines, a great majority doesn't have this options of buying abroad even via the internet.  people can protest all they want but in the end they have no choice but to buy from these same retailers

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 12:42 PM »
aren't the 299 DVDs the cheap quality DVDs?  like no bonus content, no surround sound, etc?

and the 899s are the ones that are more or less identical with the R1 versions?

No. The 299-peso DVD's from Viva (and some from Magna) are the high quality DVD's that in many cases mirror R1 DVD's. They're originally the 895, 750 and 550 DVD's that have been slashed down to 299 or 199 bucks.