Author Topic: NBA 07-08 Season on BTV/ESPNSTAR/CS--PLAY-OFFS NA!!  (Read 67320 times)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NBA 07-08 Season on BTV/ESPNSTAR/CS--PLAY-OFFS NA!!
« on: Jan 12, 2008 at 10:09 PM »
Since yung isang thread is about the off-season, created a thread for the ongoing season.

Currently, two teams in the East are lording it over (Boston and Detroit).   Sa west naman, a logjam for the West lead between San Antonio, Phoenix, Dallas, and gulp, (hold your breath), the Lakers!!!!  ;D ;D

Created the thread out of excitement created by the media attention the young center, Andrew Bynum of the Lakers had been getting.  His averages the past 5 games, all Laker wins:  18.8 pts, 12.8 rebs, 2.8 blks.   Scary fact, he's just 20.  ;D ;D   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM by Munskie »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: NBA 2007-2008 Season on BTV/ESPN/STAR
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 10:11 PM »
Yeah, it seems they were right not to trade him after all. Now if only they can get Butler back for Kwame.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2008 at 10:12 PM by sardaukar »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 10:20 PM »
Yeah, it seems they were right not to trade him after all. Now if only they can get Butler back for Kwame.  ;D
Hehehe, you win some, you lose some.  But with their line-up, for me, Im set.  Player development, maturity and experience will get them far, and will be contenders, if not now, but soon.

Mitch Kupchak would have been known as the guy who traded away Shaq and Kobe.  But instead weathered the Kobe demands, and is looking like a genius now.   Drafting Bynum, Farmar and Turiaf are looking like good choices now.  So is the trade for Trevor Ariza.

If they would redo the 2005 draft, Im pretty sure Bynum is in the top 3.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2008 at 10:25 PM by Munskie »

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 11:42 PM »
so possible na to have an La-Boston title series again just like in the 80's?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 11:45 PM »
so possible na to have an La-Boston title series again just like in the 80's?
8) sana......

Offline Battousai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 12:39 AM »
LAkers started strong, too, last season but injuries made the cookie crumble. I hope the same doesn't happen this season. Fisher's been a great add-on, as well as the Ariza trade. Bynum's improvement is helping El-Ay a lot coz now they have an inside presence on both ends of the floor. I think he leads the league in FG% (62% ata) and is averaging more than 2 blocks a game.

With Kobe not having to worry about the scoring, he can now concentrate on defense (of course, scoring is an afterthought with Kobe). Kwame's a decent back-up for Bynum as he's probably the LAkers' best low post defender (just have to live with his inability to hold on to the ball). I was hoping that Mihm would stay helathy coz that would give the LAkers a trio of big men who can play D.

Farmar's game has improved and he's showing fans why the team was high on him when they drafted him out of UCLA. I feel for Javaris Crittenton coz he's got a lot of talent, but Phil just won't play rookies. Vujacic now has confidence with his shooting, which is what the LAkers need when they have to kick out when they post Bynum or Lamar. Radmanovich has been pretty much inconsistent, but I think injury to a shooter's hand can be the worst type of injury when a team expects you to provide outside firepower.

Luke and Lamar looks like they're coasting and sometimes, I feel like I'd rather see Ariza start than Luke coz Ariza can flat out play D and is very athletic to boot.

*sigh* A Boston-LA Finals match up is premature and wishful thinking at thiis point; but hell, with the way the LAkers (and how about them Blazers, huh?!) are playing, it looks like they have a shot at the Western Conference Finals. Go El-Ay!!!  ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 09:14 AM »
LAkers started strong, too, last season but injuries made the cookie crumble. I hope the same doesn't happen this season. Fisher's been a great add-on, as well as the Ariza trade. Bynum's improvement is helping El-Ay a lot coz now they have an inside presence on both ends of the floor. I think he leads the league in FG% (62% ata) and is averaging more than 2 blocks a game.

With Kobe not having to worry about the scoring, he can now concentrate on defense (of course, scoring is an afterthought with Kobe). Kwame's a decent back-up for Bynum as he's probably the LAkers' best low post defender (just have to live with his inability to hold on to the ball). I was hoping that Mihm would stay helathy coz that would give the LAkers a trio of big men who can play D.

Farmar's game has improved and he's showing fans why the team was high on him when they drafted him out of UCLA. I feel for Javaris Crittenton coz he's got a lot of talent, but Phil just won't play rookies. Vujacic now has confidence with his shooting, which is what the LAkers need when they have to kick out when they post Bynum or Lamar. Radmanovich has been pretty much inconsistent, but I think injury to a shooter's hand can be the worst type of injury when a team expects you to provide outside firepower.

Luke and Lamar looks like they're coasting and sometimes, I feel like I'd rather see Ariza start than Luke coz Ariza can flat out play D and is very athletic to boot.

*sigh* A Boston-LA Finals match up is premature and wishful thinking at thiis point; but hell, with the way the LAkers (and how about them Blazers, huh?!) are playing, it looks like they have a shot at the Western Conference Finals. Go El-Ay!!!  ;D

yeah....go LA!!!    Nice analysis sir.   Bynum though is 2nd to Biedrins in FG percentage.   Im really pretty high on Bynum right now.   He really plays taller than his height (7'0") because of his wingspan.   And notice that the last few games, he's been showing some of his low post moves, proving thats he's not just a lob, putbacks kind of center.

Big difference in LA right now is their commitment to play better defense this year.  As good as they started last year, it was aided by an easy schedule.     Opponent's FG is a big indicator of team defense, last year they were 18th, now they are 4th in the league.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 09:21 AM »
could a good soul please post tv skeds or where such skeds can be viewed. thanks!

btv schedule  http://www.btv.com.ph/btv_grid.pdf

espnstar schedule  (ill post it later)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 12:33 PM »
crap...the curse of the thread....down goes Bynum with an injury.....shucks!!!  >:(

Offline choy

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 12:37 PM »
my Heat sucks this year :(

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 12:57 PM »
my Heat sucks this year :(

Riley mortgaged the Heat's future but got a ring as a result.  Now they are feeling the effects of those trades.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 01:01 PM »
Riley mortgaged the Heat's future but got a ring as a result.  Now they are feeling the effects of those trades.
yeah, I agree.  Quite a rebuilding to do now...

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 01:33 PM »
btv schedule  http://www.btv.com.ph/btv_grid.pdf

espnstar schedule  (ill post it later)

hey thanks for this bud, very helpful!  ;)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 09:02 AM »
The curse of January.....Bynum out for 8 weeks!!   shucks!!!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 11:29 AM »
foe those looking for ESPN and Star Sports NBA games

http://www.espnstar.com/tvtimes/tvtimes_index.jsp

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 01:06 PM »
yeah, I agree.  Quite a rebuilding to do now...

Shaq's $60M for the next 3 years is killing their cap. The Diesel and the Flash should just sit out the rest of the season. Hehe. But I believe Wade returned from injury prematurely. That shoulder of his w/o the proper surgery is a concern.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2008 at 01:08 PM by dobler »

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 01:30 PM »
derek fisher is also one reason why the lakers has good chemistry, a role imho not suited for kobe...
buti na lang kupchak did not pull the kidd/bynum trade last season...

as for miami, yes 2006 ring is a product of a "win now" game plan but they are still contending if not for the injuries (shaq's hip, ZO's knee, wright's jwill's ankles and wade's whole body) that plague the team...
oh well might as well tank the season and get lucky with pingpong balls

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 05:06 PM »
LA is now the top seed in the western conference if playoffs starts today. So is Boston in the East.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 06:15 PM »
When Bynum went dowm El-Ay struggled and barely beat Memphis and they barely got out of Seattle with the W, needing a jumper by Kobe with 4.2 to go in OT.

Someone really has to step up and be a second option for the LAkers and supplant what they lost when Bynum got injured. The rebound, I think they can make up for coz their frontline is doing a pretty good job so far. The inside presence is what they'll badly need and I think this is where Odom should start making his presence felt, since, he's pretty good at posting up if he puts his mind to it. And with the Suns coming up, I'm sure Lamar will be asked to do more offensively. Good thing he's pretty much good at posting up the smaller Suns.

Teka, napansin ko dominated by the LAkers na itong thread. Ibahin naman natin ito.

I was sort of amused at what I read at Yahoo where a Pistons player called Tracy McGrady "half man, half a season". LOL. I can't  understand why Tracy can't seem to fit in every team he's been to. Maybe its his work ethic or maybe he really isn't the the leader type. IMHO, he's more of the complimentary type of player. He's pretty athletic, no doubt about that, but he and Grant Hill reminds me so much of Samboy Lim coz these high flyers usually get injured a lot. Mr. Glass may be a more apt nickname for these type of players. Rumor has it that Tmac is asking for a trade. I pity the team that he'll be sent to.

And how about the Wizards back-to-back win over the mighty Boston Celtics? What's so effing amazing is that they didn't even have Agent Zero when they beat the Cs. Caron Butler's having another All star season and I think they've pretty much adjusted without Gilbert.

And New Orleans pretty much improved on what they did last season.They have a young core that would probably compete for years to come. Chris Paul is putting up MVP numbers with averages of 21 ppg, almost 11 apg and almost 3spg. They're currently at 25-12, which is good for third in the tough South West division.

Dissapointing team so far would be the Chicago Bulls. They've been great the past two season and everyone was hoping that this might be the year they get to the Finals. I really don't know what happened, but it seems like their players have lost the "hunger" that they've shown in the past. You can add the fact that two of their players Gordon and Deng didn't get the contracts they wanted. And man, I used to think the signing of Ben Wallace was a sound investment, but the former Defensive Player of the Year's been pretty much a non-factor.

And dayum! Are those Blazers for real?! Everyone pretty much wrote them off when this season's number one pick, Greg Oden, suffered a season-ending injury. But these young team caught everyone by surprise with their December rampage as they won 13 straight games that month and have been 18-3 up to January with wins over New Orleans, Denver (twice), Utah (twice) and Golden State (twice). I hope they sustain that momentum and reach the playoffs.

Share nyo pa ibang observations nyo (wag na muna Lakers hehehe) about what's happening in the NBA.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 10:04 AM »

as for miami, yes 2006 ring is a product of a "win now" game plan but they are still contending if not for the injuries (shaq's hip, ZO's knee, wright's jwill's ankles and wade's whole body) that plague the team...
oh well might as well tank the season and get lucky with pingpong balls

Sad but true, the quickest way the Heat can remedy their situation is to hope that Shaq will retire soon, and agree to a buyout.  That would leave some salary cap relief that would be beneficial for them in seeking a big time free agent next season.   The only untouchables for them I believe is Wade and Haslem.   And oh yes, if they cant improve the way they play in the next ten games (with Shaq around this time), yeah better to tank the season.... :)

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 02:31 PM »
pare do remember that ricky davis contract will soon expire...

there are big names in the trade rumor mill....here's a link tamad na ako mag post he,,he
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/-quot-Name-quot-players-could-be-dealt-before-F?urn=nba,61426

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 339
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 05:34 PM »
Share nyo pa ibang observations nyo (wag na muna Lakers hehehe) about what's happening in the NBA.

Sorry, Laker fan here.  :)  Just had to throw this in - here's an interesting write-up on the latest melodrama involving the Lakers. 

It was really agonizing to see Bynum go down, just as the Lakers were starting to surge.  Bynum will be missing something like 20+ games, including a stretch of about 12 road games (9 straight) in February!  I just hope the other Lakers like Odom, Fisher, Farmar, Turiaf, Ariza step up too and help Kobe, who will now become the target of opposing team's defenses.       

There are rumors that LA is thinking of signing Chris Webber, PJ Brown or even Mbenga (huh?) to shore up that frontline.  Check out InsideHoops.com.  My vote goes to the veteran PJ Brown.  Malas ata si Webber.   
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2008 at 05:35 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM »
As much as PJ Brown is more of a fit coz of defense and inside presence, he hasn't played in more than a year (?) and you can't just shake rust off. and I doubt he'd really want to go back into active play.

Webber is more of a fit in the Triangle offense and the LAkers would benefit from his inside scoring coz that's what they lack (coz Odom seems to be in cruise mode at times) and his passing is superb for a big man. You might never see Chris Webber and Defense in the same sentence, but hell, he's still a big body who can rebound and box out.

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 06:36 AM »
Sabi dati Webber will only be playing for the Pistons...so I don't think C-Webb in LA will happen.

Heat...rebuilding mode na yan. Actually dapat this off season they started it na. Kaso la sila masyado trade pieces. Masyado nila inasa na makakahabol sila sa 7th or 8th seed with Wade's return. Kaso wala talaga support...aside from Udonis. Trades (PG: Bibby or Andre Miller and someone to replace Zo) will probably help them reach the playoffs but not win another ring.

Suns will still rule the Pacific, especially with Bynum out for 2 months. Kwame won't do half what Bynum was doing. And we know what happens when Kobe start taking more shots  :P

How about them Blazers...contending for the Northwest Division! When almost everyone thought that they will be a lottery team again because Oden (who is he again!?) was out for the season. Roy is outstanding...All Star baby!
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 07:30 AM »
If Webber badly wanted to play for Detroit, he would've been with them right from the start of the season. I think he's really choosing his options as he wants to piggy-back for his sought-after championship. Chances are, he'll try his luck with the Celtics.

I don't think having Bibby or Andre Miller wil help the Heat reach the playoffs since both will take some time to adjust playing with their new team. Having Shaq would help, but I doubt his body would be able to stand the rest of the season.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 12:16 PM »
If Webber badly wanted to play for Detroit, he would've been with them right from the start of the season. I think he's really choosing his options as he wants to piggy-back for his sought-after championship. Chances are, he'll try his luck with the Celtics.

Walang tatalo kay Mitch Richmond when he piggy-backed his way to a ring with the Lakers! Opps, LA ulit. Hehe, sorry. Bulls naman, Joakim Noah's had two altercations with the assistant coach and Ben Wallace. Team mates voted to suspend him for a few games. He's boy among men. Just shut up and play.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM by dobler »

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 07:59 PM »
Miller/Bibby, Davis, Wade, Udonis and Shaq -- plus some role players (Wright, Cook, Jackson) I think that's possible. Considering how bad the east is (except for the Pistons and Cs) any team has a chance in the East. Imagine you can reach the play offs even if you are under .500.

But thie thing is you have to give some of the pieces I mentioned above in order to get either Miller or Bibby. So it's really a long shot.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2008 at 11:36 PM »
Argh! As if Bynum's injury wasn't enough to remind us of last year's collapse, more bad news comes by way of Trevor Ariza's foot injury. The once big men-heavy frontcourt of the LAkers have been cut down to size with Chris Mihm, Andrew Bynum, Vladimir Radmanovich and now, Ariza, all in the injured list.

When it rains, it pours.  :'(

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 339
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2008 at 11:52 PM »
^ Just read about that injury to Ariza too.  If it's a broken foot/toe, that will probably take a long time to heal.  :'(  I hope LA can still salvage some momentum...  I also read somewhere that they will probably settle for Mbenga to patch up their frontcourt.  All I know is that he is a 7-footer with big ears..  Great.
We deserve better.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2008 at 08:51 PM »
^ Just read about that injury to Ariza too.  If it's a broken foot/toe, that will probably take a long time to heal.  :'(  I hope LA can still salvage some momentum...  I also read somewhere that they will probably settle for Mbenga to patch up their frontcourt.  All I know is that he is a 7-footer with big ears..  Great.
they just signed up Mbenga.    At least they won vs Denver.   2-1 of 26.