Author Topic: ALL Toshiba A35/A30 Owners - How good is the upconversion of SD DVD?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline revskie

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Now that the prices of these players are falling down, I am planning to get one to play my SD DVDs and upconvert them to my HD Display.

Sayang kasi yung mga SD DVDs ko.

Is the upconversion really that good?

Thanks,

Rev

Offline SirLaw11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Now that the prices of these players are falling down, I am planning to get one to play my SD DVDs and upconvert them to my HD Display.

Thanks,

Rev

Both the A35/A30 HD players have the same ABT scalers that the semi high end denon players carry thus giving you a very good upconverting capabilities. The only player that can beat these 2 in terms of upconverting is the XA2 with its reon chip.
Format neutral

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247

Thanks,

Rev

Sir you must have a collection of R1/all region SD-DVDs to make this as your upconverting DVD player.  The limitation is that it is R1 specific. 

Offline revskie

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Yes.  95% of my SD DVDs are R1.

I was just thinking. 

I will use it to upconvert my SD DVDs and throw it to a 106" diagonal screen via an AE-2000.

How does it compare with the locally available upconverting Pioneers and Sonys?

Any of you able to compare by chance?

Thanks,

Rev

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
Question:

Will the A30 bitstream the HiRez audio codecs to a capable receiver with built in decoders?

TIA

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
Question:

Will the A30 bitstream the HiRez audio codecs to a capable receiver with built in decoders?

TIA

Only the A35 and HD-XA2 can bitstream HD audio codecs such as DTS HD MA. But don't worry since there are only a handful of HD DVD disc with DTS HD MA before the format was killed off. The other more dominant HD Audio codec, DD TrueHD, can be decoded internally the outputted as PCM by just every other HD DVD machine including the A30.   ;) ;) ;)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Compared the upscaling capabilities of the Toshiba A30 vs. a Pioneer DV400.  The Tosh has better video quality output hands down compared to the Pio.  Tested this on a Toshiba Regza 42" LCD.  This is just based on my personal experience though.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
I totally agree the A30 and A35 wins hands down in upscaling versus the less than 10 thousand pesos hdmi players (playing on 46 inch lcd), I also compared it to my Pioneer dvd recorder 1080p, The toshibas really look good. I will do further testing. I don't know how it will compare to those higher end dvd players. Anyway I experimented with Raiders of the lost ark and some ultimate editions of james bond. It's very nice to me, the pics on my dvd hdmi players are dirtier, not as sharp. The toshibas are clearer, smoother, colors I think are better. My wife was more exaggerated  (when we were viewing Raiders) by saying "Grabe parang hidef ah..(ya I know exaggeration ito, She's a woman (nothing against women) but you guys know they are really not into these video stuff like us guys ;D but Raiders of the lost ark really looks good ;D) " She also said this (A35) is the best dvd player I bought hehe.. ;D. Im glad she is happy with it or she might kick my butt by spending too much on these toshiba players ;D.

I will do further testing to confirm. But the really good region 1 dvd discs looks really good. I wanna try star wars series and lord of the rings series. ;)