Author Topic: 3-D Movies on DVD: Soon?  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
3-D Movies on DVD: Soon?
« on: Jan 23, 2008 at 12:50 PM »
Beowulf will be released on DVD in the Philippines by Warner Bros. this March.

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008 at 05:39 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Pillow

• DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 3-D Movies on DVD: Soon?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 08:25 AM »
No 3d version for beowulf? 

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 11:00 AM »
The 3D process used is not compatible with current home video formats. Theoretically, they could convert it to red/blue, but that would be a headache, literally for the viewers.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 05:23 PM »
The 3D process used is not compatible with current home video formats. Theoretically, they could convert it to red/blue, but that would be a headache, literally for the viewers.

Actually, IMAX and Digital 3-D (which are the 3-D formats that Beowulf was converted into) employs a much more sophisticated technology than the conventional red/blue 3-D technique. The secret to their "3-D-ness" is polarized light, wherein two different light ray vibration directions are projected by the screen. Although at plain sight, the lenses of the 3-D polarized glasses look similar, they are actually different, in such a way that each lens selectively filters out light coming from the screen.  Since the screen projects light in two different vibration direction, each lens filters them out differently for each eye, giving us stereoscopic perception. Thus, unless new polarized light capable TV projectors are available in the market, the only 3-D technology available for us consumers is the dizzying red/blue color separation technique.

By the way, here's a cool trick you can do with 3-D polarized glasses: Have two pairs of 3-D glasses on hand. Place the left lens of one of the glasses over the right lens of the other. Then, rotate the glasses on top with respect to the one under. Notice the how the amount of light that passes through the superimposed lenses changes. When the ray direction of the two lenses are at 90 degrees with respect to each other, no light can pass through them. Neat, huh?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 05:40 PM »
Thus, unless new polarized light capable TV projectors are available in the market, the only 3-D technology available for us consumers is the dizzying red/blue color separation technique.

Actually, right now there's also this:

The H3D Stereoscopic Home Theater Viewing Video System, but the title choices are extremely limited and mostly B-movie-ish.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008 at 05:43 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 06:39 PM »

Like they did for Spy Kids 3D and Nightmare before Christmas (although, I heard that aside from the red/blue process, Nightmare was also done in theatrical D3D). Watching SK3D at home with the red/blue glasses kinda works. Still a headache.

If they reformat Beowulf to red/blue on the DVD, it'll surely be a headache as well and won't reflect the director's vision.

the only 3-D technology available for us consumers is the dizzying red/blue color separation technique.

There's a 3D conversion kit available locally at DataBlitz that you can use for the PC. Polarized glasses and all. Just not sure if you can use it for regular television monitors. But if you can run a DVD movie on your PC, maybe...
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2008 at 06:46 PM by Dan »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 05:51 PM »
Thus, unless new polarized light capable TV projectors are available in the market, the only 3-D technology available for us consumers is the dizzying red/blue color separation technique.

Looks like we were talking about a very hot topic. Will 3-D be the in the immediate future of home video?

Samsung is releasing its first 3-D ready televisions this March:

"The Series 4 and Series 5 lines are prime examples of how Samsung is able to provide higher-end features and performance at all price points," said Jonas Tanenbaum, vice president of Flat Panel Marketing at Samsung Electronics America. "By integrating 3D technology into the plasma category, we're offering consumers the benefits of both a flat-panel set and 3D movie viewing and gaming. We're looking forward to continuing to expand our new technologies across all of our HDTV categories."

Full article: http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS61937+06-Jan-2008+BW20080106

=====

And Hollywood has taken notice:

Turning 3-D into a business
By Carolyn Giardina

Feb 21, 2008

RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. -- A call for industry standards for stereoscopic 3-D, both for theatrical release and in the home, was hammered home during a 3-D presentation Wednesday at the Hollywood Post Alliance's annual Technology Retreat.

"It's simply the lack of standards that is preventing the studios from taking content that they have in 3-D and formatting it onto a piece of plastic and having it play back in a player to a television that is 3-D capable," said Alan Bell, executive vp and chief technology officer at Paramount. "Clearly, home video in 3-D is essential to the converging business models."

Wednesday's 3-D session explored how the format is "moving from a science project to a business." During the session, the often-cited advantages of 3-D were applauded, but speakers also identified problems and issues that must be addressed.

Disney's "Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour, " which grossed $31.5 million in its opening weekend, was deemed an overwhelming success, and Disney president of distribution Chuck Viane encouraged the retreat audience to proceed with 3-D.

But he emphasized the need for deployment of more 3-D systems, saying: "That we could only have 683 theaters to play 'Hannah Montana' is backward movement in our business. In order for this to succeed, we must be in the thousand-plus range."

But Millard Ochs, president of Warner Bros. International Cinemas, warned 3-D enthusiasts, "We are not motivated to put in more 3-D (systems) until there is more product."

Similarly, Mann Theatres CEO Peter Dobson said: "Does the business model work? So far, no. There aren't enough movies." He suggested that at least 10 titles per year are needed. So far, six have been announced for a 2008 release.

Viane said that roughly 18 3-D films have been announced, with such leading directors as James Cameron and Robert Zemeckis on board. He also reported that "G-Force," a live-action/CG feature from Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer Films, will be a 3-D stereoscopic film.

"All the major studios are producing or considering 3-D projects," he said. "As a result, it will become easier to market these films."

Buzz Hayes, Sony Pictures Imageworks' 3-D producer of stereoscopic 3-D films, explained that for an exhibitor to install a 3-D ready digital system, a digital cinema setup is needed (virtual print fee models are helping theaters owners with these costs). Then the 3-D system is needed, which would run $50,000-$100,000. Additionally, there are the costs of glasses; if they are not the disposable models, cleaning and care of the eyewear is an added expense.

Hayes also presented an analysis of the costs of producing 3-D features. He reported that the incremental costs of producing a 3-D version of a computer-animated film is typically 8%-15% of the below-the-line costs of the film, while the incremental costs for a live-action 3-D feature would be closer to 15%-25%. Converting a 2-D film to 3-D, he added, is estimated to cost $75,000-$125,000 per minute, depending on the complexity of the material.

Disney's Viane estimated the markup for a 3-D movie ticket averages 20%.

Howard Lukk, vp production technology at Disney, emphasized that when planning a 3-D production, every aspect from dailies to previews to encoding needs to be examined.

Jim Mainard, head of production development at DreamWorks Animation, cited immediate production challenges. For one, he said that rendering for 3-D can add roughly 30% to that expense. "$2 million-$3 million more on a film like ours," he said.

Paul Chapman, senior vp technology at Fotokem, the facility that posted the "Hannah Montana" film, walked attendees through the post process. He emphasized the need for technical standards.

On that subject, standards-setting body the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers has published 3-D file format standards and is working on additional 3-D theatrical standards. Some theatrical 3-D recommendations have been presented to the community by studio consortium Digital Cinema Initiatives. No group has started to address standards for home entertainment.

Home entertainment was, however, a big part of the discussion. "I think it is very possible that we will have a 3-D home release this year," said Texas Instruments' Doug Darrow, pointing out that 3-D-ready TV sets have entered the market.

"The real issue is going to be (identifying) the distribution format," he added.

Source:  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i29f65a05efb31b937c3fca0ddcccab01
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008 at 05:52 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 02:49 AM »
Here's the 3D kit I was talking about:

Click Me!!!

Some of the Datablitz shops are selling this. Just saw one in a couple of them including the branch in Robinson's Place Ermita. I have no clue how effective it is or what the "effect" may be. I'm guessing if your movie or application isn't in sync with the kit, the 3D effect may just be simulated.