Author Topic: Do you plug your TVs to any power strip or surge protector?  (Read 8922 times)

Offline bhongskie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Do you plug your TVs to any power strip or surge protector?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 02:47 PM »
medyo OT pero share ko lang to as it concerns electrical surges:

saw a program in discovery channel where they simulated a lightning storm by pumping 300,000 volts of electricity into the mains of a makeshift home to see how plugged appliances will be affected and if lightning will cause fire, explosions, electrocution, etc.

here's the observation, a person speaking in the handset could get electrocuted when lighting strikes an electrical line as electricity will flow into the phone. Interestingly, that 300K volts did not have any noticeable effect on the PC and I think a tv that were plugged in the outlet.  Those two ran fine.  Just don't know how it would affect the life of the tv and the pc.

ako as precaution gamit pa rin surge protector with avr and ups

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 03:46 PM »
again again  :)

Outlet --> LC --> Voltage Regulator --> Plasma

or

Outlet --> Voltage Regulator --> LC --> Plasma

Probably either is fine but which is the better setup?  Just bought a Bada LC.  Thanks guys.

Mas maganda siguro yung 2nd choice, Outlet --> Voltage Regulator --> LC --> Plasma.

Bakit kamo?  Kasi, pag inuna mo yung LC before the AVR, may posibilidad na ma-adulterate uli ng AVR yung conditioned current na inilabas ng LC mo.  Remember ang AVR, may motor yan at relay na pumipitik every now and then.  Yung pitik ng relay at ikot ng motor ay pwedeng mag introduce uli ng distortion sa na-conditioned mo ng current.  To all gurus and seasoned engineers hare, please comment na lang kung tama itong theory ko.

Thanks.
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 04:22 AM »
Makisingit lng po, I talked to one very experienced electronics engineer and a founder of an electronics society here in the Philippines about the benefits of avr on appliances and surprisingly he doesn't believe in avr's (including servo types). He told me no servo is fast enough to monitor and stabilize electric fluctuations. He said it's just a waste of money. He was more inclined to ups and a certain gadget that,  right now slips my mind.  :-[ 
He also told me that modern appliances and pc has built in voltage regulators just for the same purpose of avr.
What we didn't discuss is the benefits of line conditioners and surge protectors, but I guess it won't hurt (except  for the wallet  ;D) to add but within practical boundaries.  :)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 04:46 AM »
I'll join in guys... ;D

OUTLET =======>BADA LC=======>ALL MY GEARS!!! :P

I still don't have an AVR and plan to buy one soon. Any recommendations... :)

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 08:12 AM »
my setup:

outlet ---> plug type surge protector --->  APC UPS w/ surge protector ---> appliance (TV)

I haven't lost anything that could be attributed to a power surge, voltage fluctuation, in 4 years.

Oh, I should add, all my outlets are 3-prong (w/ grounding)
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 10:10 AM »
Just wanna share this and please comment. An electrical engineer told me this. Did you notice why your plasma/lcd plug is so big? He said it has a fuse inside. It acts like a surge protector to protect your plasma. So plugging it into a well grounded wall outlet should be fine. Your views please.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 12:21 PM »
Mas maganda siguro yung 2nd choice, Outlet --> Voltage Regulator --> LC --> Plasma.

Bakit kamo?  Kasi, pag inuna mo yung LC before the AVR, may posibilidad na ma-adulterate uli ng AVR yung conditioned current na inilabas ng LC mo.  Remember ang AVR, may motor yan at relay na pumipitik every now and then.  Yung pitik ng relay at ikot ng motor ay pwedeng mag introduce uli ng distortion sa na-conditioned mo ng current.  To all gurus and seasoned engineers hare, please comment na lang kung tama itong theory ko.

Thanks.

Sir, you are correct. AVR's can cause sound degradation after a filtered line. I noticed it myself. Its not a huge difference though.

BUT the problem is most of our commercially available AVR's do not have grounding plugs, w/c is important for the LC's.

Plus, in the specific instance of the Bada LC with a 3000w capacity, plugging it to a 1,500w AVR may waste the remaining 1,500w capacity, in case you are plugging everything in it...plasma tv (400w), receiver (500w), power amp (800w), HTPC (550w) subwoofer (500w) PLUS the xx% power allowance for the AVR. As long as you have a a 3000w AVR with grounding, then there is no problem. But its hard to find.  :)

Just wanna share this and please comment. An electrical engineer told me this. Did you notice why your plasma/lcd plug is so big? He said it has a fuse inside. It acts like a surge protector to protect your plasma. So plugging it into a well grounded wall outlet should be fine. Your views please.

Hi sir, contact sir Nemesis, a plasma dealer, and learn of his numerous woes on buyers who were skimping on buying protection for their TV's.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008 at 12:32 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 12:33 PM »
Hi sir, contact sir Nemesis, a plasma dealer, and learn of his numerous woes on buyers who were skimping on buying protection for their TV's.

Yup, I was there in SL&L last weekend and I noticed a plasma on the floor leaning sa wall - sabi ni ma'am Belen it belongs to a customer who just plugged the plasma sa outlet lang daw. Nag brownout daw, tapos pag balik ng kuryente - ayaw na daw si plasma :(

Right there - I bought a Bada LC at kahit wala pa akong widescreen, I'm sure it would also be helpful to my other gears :)
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM by macdon »

Offline kefq

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #38 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 01:29 PM »
Yup, I was there in SL&L last weekend and I noticed a plasma on the floor leaning sa wall - sabi ni ma'am Belen it belongs to a customer who just plugged the plasma sa outlet lang daw. Nag brownout daw, tapos pag balik ng kuryente - ayaw na daw si plasma :(

Right there - I bought a Bada LC at kahit wala pa akong widescreen, I'm sure it would also be helpful to my other gears :)

Ibang klase ka talaga bro, nadagdagan nanaman ang mga box set mo  ;D  ;D ilabas na sa kahon yan!

Ako im using "Audio Prism Quite Line" to filter out electrical noise. Cost only 1.5k pero very effective . We even tested it using a Noise Sniffer.

First we plugged the noise sniffer directly to the outlet. There was so much static going on, talagang it will tell you how dirty our line is.

We tried to plug a Line Conditioner di ko na lang sasabihin kung ano yung brand pero hindi yon Bada.  We then measured the noise, suprisingly walang pinagbago dami pading electrical noise.

We then plugged the Quiet Line next to the outlet then measure the electrical noise. 80% of the noise nawala, very minimal na lang madidinig mong static.

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 01:50 PM »
Ibang klase ka talaga bro, nadagdagan nanaman ang mga box set mo  ;D  ;D ilabas na sa kahon yan!

Ako im using "Audio Prism Quite Line" to filter out electrical noise. Cost only 1.5k pero very effective . We even tested it using a Noise Sniffer.

First we plugged the noise sniffer directly to the outlet. There was so much static going on, talagang it will tell you how dirty our line is.

We tried to plug a Line Conditioner di ko na lang sasabihin kung ano yung brand pero hindi yon Bada.  We then measured the noise, suprisingly walang pinagbago dami pading electrical noise.

We then plugged the Quiet Line next to the outlet then measure the electrical noise. 80% of the noise nawala, very minimal na lang madidinig mong static.

Sir san mo nabili itong Audio Prism Quiet Line?

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 02:17 PM »
Speaking of AVR and Line Conditioners. Is there such a thing as built in/in-wall AVR or Line conditioner? The ones that you can embed to the wall.

Offline kefq

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #41 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 04:44 PM »
Got it from Watt Hi-Fi MCS  :)

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 05:56 PM »

Whahahahahaha - box sets! Natawa ako dun ah! :D ;D

Iba talaga yan si boss Dex - yan ang audio guru ko!  ;) Yan ang dahilan at may SARS daw ako! :D ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 11:16 AM »

We also conducted that noise sniffer test using the Bada and the commercially available panther line filter. There was zero noise with the Bada (but gears have to be up & running) and with the Panther there was some 40% noise reduction in the PM , office hours. It was still noisy.

I tested the panther again at a residential area at around 2am early morning (no washing machines, industrial machines working at that time) and the panther can filter out some 80%.

So if you watch on your HT or listen to music at around 2am, maybe the panther will do.

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 05:21 PM »
....So if you watch on your HT or listen to music at around 2am, maybe the panther will do.

This is so true.  Kasi right now naka Panther power strip pa lang yung buong HT gears ko.  Pag mga 1am ako nag mumusic, parang pino at heavenly yung sound... pero pag sa hapon or early evening, medyo iba, medyo coarse yung sound eh (subjective?!? ::)).  Ipon, ipon muna for the Bada LC, sana pagbibili nako nun makakuha ako ng magandang discount!   :D
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline Plebe

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
Do you plug your TVs to any power strip or surge protector?
« Reply #45 on: Jun 08, 2014 at 01:33 PM »
APC has a promo now: ups with free surge protector.

Offline Allan_2180

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #46 on: Jun 10, 2014 at 03:08 PM »
Just want to share my current setup:
3-pronged Outlet -> Meiji 1.5KW Servo-AVR -> 1KVA PowercomAce UPS -> Devices.
I also used coaxial surge arrester on my TV, A\V Receiver and Cablebox.
all grounded using PLDT Grounding pole outside the house.

but planning to ship this from the US, replacing my 1KVA PowercomAce and probably this should also do most of the job protecting all my autovolt and 120V gears.  :)

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/pfc-sinewave-series/CP1350PFCLCD.html?selectedTabId=resources&imageI=#tab-box

Panasonic 42ST30
Optoma HD33
PCH-A200
Yamaha Aventage A810
Wharfedale 9.6+9CM+9DFS
US Audio 512D

Offline dulber32

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jun 17, 2014 at 12:51 AM »
I use a Belkin power strip the 8-outlet 3-prong black version
Ayusin ko pa grounding line ko kase ayaw umilaw ng ground indicator
Yung protected indicator lang ang buhay

Still shopping for a line conditioner - saan available yung BADA?