Author Topic: LPCM vs. DTS/Dolby Digital  (Read 4278 times)

Offline romevenom

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • ROME 24
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LPCM vs. DTS/Dolby Digital
« on: Feb 13, 2008 at 10:51 PM »
Which is better? Thanks!
Samsung 51P5000
Samsung Blu-ray Player
Sony PS3
HK 347
Infinity Primus PC350, 160 & 150

Offline darkwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: LPCM vs. DTS/Dolby Digital
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 01:15 AM »
LPCM talaga coz it's uncompressed sometimes at the back they say it as 5.1 Uncompressed

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 06:52 AM »
Pardon my innocence...but what does LPCM stand for? ???

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 07:48 AM »
Linear Pulse Code Modulation, its like hmmm a WAV file instead of being an MP3, well I'm sure someone else can provide a more technical explanation hehe
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008 at 07:49 AM by darkwing »

Offline romevenom

• Collector
  • ROME 24
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 08:04 AM »
Linear Pulse Code Modulation, its like hmmm a WAV file instead of being an MP3, well I'm sure someone else can provide a more technical explanation hehe

Thanks sir Darkwing! That's the same comment I read on avsforum, I guess I'll use 5.1 LPCM now thru HDMI. :)
Samsung 51P5000
Samsung Blu-ray Player
Sony PS3
HK 347

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 08:07 AM »
Which of the these uncompressed audio codec is better: LPCM, DTS HD Hi-resolution, DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby Digital TrueHD? Are all sonically equal and hard to tell apart? :D :D :D
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008 at 08:08 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 08:24 AM »
Which of the these uncompressed audio codec is better: LPCM, DTS HD Hi-resolution, DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby Digital TrueHD? Are all sonically equal and hard to tell apart? :D :D :D
DTS HD high resolution I think is not lossless, its like dolby digital plus.....just higher bitrates of the regular DTS and DD.  Of the three (PCM, DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD), only PCM is uncompressed, but all are lossless.   Noticed that PCM and DTS-HD MA encoded movies are louder.  But louder doesnt necessarily makes it better.  Hmmmmmm.   Maybe a movie with an uncompressed PCM and Dolby TrueHD can be a reference for comparison.    :)

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 06:24 PM »
Tama si sir Munskie. :-\ Thanks for the correction ;D ;D ;D

Some things I picked up...

DTS-HD Master Audio is capable of delivering audio that is a bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. DTS-HD Master Audio delivers audio at super high variable bit rates -24.5 mega-bits per second (Mbps) on Blu-ray discs and 18.0 Mbps on HD-DVD - that are significantly higher than standard DVDs . This bit stream is so "fast" and the transfer rate is so "high" that it can deliver the Holy Grail of audio: 7.1 audio channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depths that are identical to the original. With DTS-HD Master Audio, you will be able to experience movies and music, exactly as the artist intended: clear, pure, and uncompromised.

DTS-HD High Resolution Audio can deliver up to 7.1 channels of sound that is virtually indistinguishable from the original. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio delivers audio at high constant bit rates superior to standard DVDs---6.0 Mbps on Blu-ray discs and 3.0 Mbps on HD-DVD to produce outstanding sound quality. It is capable of delivering up to 7.1 channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depth resolution. It allows content creators to deliver rich, high definition audio on movies where disc space may not allow for DTS-HD Master Audio.

Dolby Digital Plus offers new levels of enhanced audio resolution and fidelity, further complementing the superior video performance of HD DVD. These extensions to the existing Dolby Digital format extend the peak 640 kbps data rate to 3 Mbps and beyond. Dolby Digital Plus is also designed with the flexibility to permit future channel expansion beyond the traditional 5.1-channel model, to 7.1 discrete channels or more.

DVD Forum has selected Dolby Digital Plus as a standard audio format for HD DVD video. HD DVD, a next-generation optical disc format, promises to deliver high-definition picture quality in a packaged media format. Dolby Digital Plus is also an optional format for the Blu-ray Disc.

Dolby® TrueHD is Dolby’s next-generation lossless technology developed for high-definition disc-based media. Dolby TrueHD delivers tantalizing sound that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, unlocking the true high-definition entertainment experience on next-generation discs. When coupled with high-definition video, Dolby TrueHD offers an unprecedented home theater experience that lets you enjoy sound as stunning as the high-definition picture.

Features
100 percent lossless coding technology.
Up to 18 Mbps bit rate.
Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio.*
Supported by High-Definition Media Interface (HDMI™), the new single-cable digital connection for audio and video.
Supports extensive metadata including dialogue normalization and dynamic range control.
*Dolby TrueHD can support more than eight audio channels. HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc standards currently limit their maximum number of audio channels to eight.

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008 at 06:30 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 12:44 AM »
  Maybe a movie with an uncompressed PCM and Dolby TrueHD can be a reference for comparison.    :)
Bro Munskie,
       Meron ba movie na aviallable na  yung tatlong tracks? AFAIK, uncompressed LPCM is an exact copy from the Studio Master which could be the best option.

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 01:25 AM »
i think Spiderman 3 has the LCPM and Dolby TrueHD, and some other BD titles

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 02:36 AM »

Thanks Sir Darkwing...it's good to learn a little something everyday!!! ;)

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 02:54 AM »
300, the 5th element remastered & ghost rider are also a few movies w/ all 3 tracks

Offline romevenom

• Collector
  • ROME 24
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 11:23 PM »
Thanks for all your comments and info!!!!  ;D
Samsung 51P5000
Samsung Blu-ray Player
Sony PS3
HK 347

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2008 at 12:42 PM »
LPCM is uncompressed, similar to your wav files.  That's the format recording studios use when processing digital audio files.  DTS-HD and DolbyTruHD are compressed files, though lossless, designed mainly to be stored efficiently in such medua as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and even DVDs.   Think of them as zipped LPCM files.   When DTS-HD/MA and DolbyTrueHD get uncompressed by being decoded,  they are unzipped and you get LPCM files.  Similarly, DD and DTS are lossy compression codecs that when decoded, also end up as LPCM files. 

Now having said that, LPCM files can also have different resolutions like 192/24, 96/24, 88/24, 48/24, 48/16, 44/16 (which is CD-quality), etc.  DD and DTS tracks are decoded and become LPCM files at the standard 48/16.  DTS-HD/MA and DolbyTrueHD get decoded at 96/24 LPCM.  LPCM tracks in BD and HD DVD discs are at 48/16.  Movies are more commonly  mastered at 48/24 LPCM.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2008 at 12:51 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline antikryst

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 06:07 PM »
follow up question here.

when playing a dvd i go for DTS (if available) then DD

for hd dvds...what should i look for? DTS HD then DD HD? say i have different options? is the better one set as default?

what i noticed is that dvds default to DD even if it has DTS.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 09:42 AM »
I have a newly bought PS3 and in the audio menu, i was asked if bitstream or lpcm? What's the difference?

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 04:22 PM »
I have a newly bought PS3 and in the audio menu, i was asked if bitstream or lpcm? What's the difference?

hmmm to what sound system are you connecting to? for now select bitstream

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2008 at 05:48 AM »
hmmm to what sound system are you connecting to? for now select bitstream

I'm just using an optical cable connected to my receiver.

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2008 at 09:00 AM »
I'm just using an optical cable connected to my receiver.

then bitstream for the meantime, LPCM on an optical only carries 2 channel, you need HDMI for all the LPCM channels

Offline antikryst

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 10:16 AM »
follow up question here.

when playing a dvd i go for DTS (if available) then DD

for hd dvds...what should i look for? DTS HD then DD HD? say i have different options? is the better one set as default?

what i noticed is that dvds default to DD even if it has DTS.

anyone has an answer to this? :)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2008 at 10:48 AM »
The default video and audio codec is often the minimum defined by the format standard.  In the case of standard DVD, the default audio track is DD because that is mandated by the DVD specification.  DTS is optional.   In Blu-ray, the default audio track is often LPCM.  In HD DVD, it's Dolby Plus of DolbyTrueHD.  The default is a MINIMUM following the format specification.   So it's not always the best.