Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: The War is Over - Toshiba Gives Up on HD DVD  (Read 16416 times)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BREAKING NEWS: The War is Over - Toshiba To Give Up on HD DVD
« Reply #60 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 12:25 PM »
Come on, that's NHK. It's not as if it was reported on TV Patrol.
 ;D

NHK has had history of bogus documentaries FYI.  But I trust it more than Bill Hunt and I don't think NHK would bother to sensationalize and/or speculate about the high def war just like Bill Hunt.  If Toshiba is preparing to make an announcement in English, then perhaps it will be American time.    :)  If there is none, then it will be very interesting indeed.

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #61 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 12:42 PM »
Angbilis ng mga pangyayari.
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline 1ringwd4s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • One Ring with The Force
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 01:35 PM »
This is happening too fast. So long HD-DVD.
One Ring with The Force

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 01:59 PM »
Had the real powers allowed the consumer to actually decide on this format war, it would not have been this fast.

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 05:25 PM »
BLU RAY Fanbois Spokeperson...hehehe

MY TWO CENTS - 2/18/08 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

Okay... here's an early morning update with the latest news, and there are a few new pieces of information.

First, Forbes is now reporting 1) that the publication has confirmed today (Monday) with Toshiba that they're considering bowing out of the next-generation videodisc business, and that 2) the news has "met with approval from analysts and investors". And in what may be a bit of a silver lining in all this, Toshiba shares have apparently surged 5.9% on the news so far in afternoon trading today in Tokyo. From the text:

Cutting its losses on HD DVD could boost Toshiba's operating profit by 20% in the next fiscal year, Nikko Citigroup analyst Hiroyuki Masuko said Monday. He raised his rating on the stock to "buy" from "neutral."

Also, The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the announcement will likely happen "early this week." Here's a key new piece of information found in the WSJ article:

If Toshiba withdraws from the HD DVD business, Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures and General Electric Co.'s Universal Pictures, both of which support the format exclusively, would be immediately released from their commitments, one of the people familiar with the situation said. Warner Bros., which is obligated to sell HD DVD movies through May under its contract, would also be freed from those terms. All three studios couldn't be immediately reached for comment.

We do, however, expect some kind of official statement from these studios in the next few days. Also reported in the WSJ piece:

Toshiba will likely continue to provide customer support for HD DVD players that it has sold, but it had no compensation plans in mind for consumers who have already purchased them.

The folks over at ars technica have some interesting new information on this today as well, including word that Toshiba's decision to bring an end to HD-DVD was in the works BEFORE the Netflix, Best Buy and Wal-Mart announcements last week, and that those companies were aware of the plans when they made their announcements.

Obviously, this is going to be the major topic of discussion in the industry over the next few days, so we ask your patience as we (and assuredly many others) follow new developments as they unfold.

We'll be back later this morning with any additional breaking news, as well as Barrie's new column. Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008 at 05:33 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 05:35 PM »
in a war, we had to take sides ^_^

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 03:31 AM »
ineresting news here from the Nikkei publication

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/18/toshiba-expected-to-announce-death-of-hd-dvd-tomorrow-stop-sale/

"Despite Red's inability to make any real public statement, Japanese publication Nikkei has it that Toshiba president Atsutoshi Nishida will be announcing the final discontinuation of HD DVD tomorrow, as well as halted sales of hardware and media by March (as in days from now). Apparently Toshiba will pull its units from retail shelves, but has no intention to give burned early adopters any refunds (no kidding?); it sounds like the ceasefire will include the bare PC drives as well, so those hoping to keep using HD DVD as a personal data storage medium probably won't have much luck. Apparently the announcement will come alongside Toshiba's plans to build new semiconductor fabs, which we're sure they'll try to spin as an advancement that far overshadows the hill of beans (read: hundreds of millions) they've lost in the format war."

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 06:33 AM »
Bilis natapos ah... :D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 07:45 AM »
24 hour watch na ngayon. All the news agencies (CNN, BBC, CNBC, WSJ...)  have already picked up the story and are waiting for the OFFICIAL announcement. If it does become OFFICIAL, will this immediately affect software production and distribution too?
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2008 at 07:46 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #69 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 08:17 AM »
For now it looks like Blu-ray won the format war. But in my opinion, the real winner in the future is the SSD (solid state device) and Hard drive manufacturer. I can see that most digital content will resides in a "memory or hard drive". Look what happened to music: from vinyl to cassete tapes to MiniDisc to CDs to MP3 players (iPods,iPhones, Zune, etc). And there are signs that video/movies will follow the same route.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #70 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 08:33 AM »
For now it looks like Blu-ray won the format war. But in my opinion, the real winner in the future is the SSD (solid state device) and Hard drive manufacturer. I can see that most digital content will resides in a "memory or hard drive". Look what happened to music: from vinyl to cassete tapes to MiniDisc to CDs to MP3 players (iPods,iPhones, Zune, etc). And there are signs that video/movies will follow the same route.

I really dont like hd downloads, I like readily available discs better. Looks better for collection purposes hehe...Our internet speed is too slow for downloads. Hi speed internet here cost too much. Sabagay cheaper than buying discs na yan if you compare the pricing monthly. 3 thou lang ata monthly the 2MB speed?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 09:43 AM »
With music, you only need to listen.  With video you need to listen and watch (and in the Wife's case - read).   MP3 was such a success because of portability, convenience, and I guess a lot of people, especially the younger ones, just don't care or learned not to care (as in my case) about lower fidelity music from such ultra-portable devices.  If you're gonna watch a movie on any screen sized 1" to 6", I don't think you need a high-def content because a DVD-quality movie would nearly look just as fine.

I am a fan of downloadable high def contents,  but I consider the experience of watching downloaded movies through PC,  and that of original disk through a full sized HT,  as two complementary ways of enjoying high def.  As many people think, HDM's main competition for a while will still be DVD.

For lack of any real developments on this topic at this moment, OT muna.   Sabi ni Bill Hunt 5pm Tokyo today pa eh.   :) :) :)  Is Bill Hunt's fee hourly or lump-sum?   Don't you think it is for Bill Hunt's financial benefit that this format war gets protracted?  What will he write about after the war is over?     :) :) :)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #72 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 11:12 AM »
I really dont like hd downloads, I like readily available discs better. Looks better for collection purposes hehe...Our internet speed is too slow for downloads. Hi speed internet here cost too much. Sabagay cheaper than buying discs na yan if you compare the pricing monthly. 3 thou lang ata monthly the 2MB speed?

HD downloads cannot be saved permanently nor shared with friends.. Maybe if downloads of a full length movie takes only seconds then maybe its worth it.. Maybe 5 years from now its possible..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 03:41 PM »
Here is the news link to which Bill Hunt referred:

http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/main/20080219AT1D180DU18022008.html

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 04:18 PM »
as expected at 5pm Japan time

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm

"Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand."

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 04:45 PM »
Yep HD DVD is dead. So when will Universal and Paramount start releasing in Blu Ray?  :)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #76 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 04:53 PM »
So let's move on and enjoy Blu-ray movies..  ;D ;D ;D
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 06:14 PM »
I guess we can now re-name the HD forums to just Blu Ray...

From Blu-ray fanbois posterboy...

MY TWO CENTS - 2/19/08 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

It's official. It's over. The Fat Lady is Singing!!!

At a press conference with reporters just moments ago at the company's Tokyo office, Toshiba president Atsutoshi Nishida waved the white flag, confirming that his company is shutting down its HD-DVD operations.

Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses

Company Remains Focused on Championing Consumer Access to High Definition Content

(FULL STATEMENT)

TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

HD DVD was developed to offer consumers access at an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content and prepare them for the digital convergence of tomorrow where the fusion of consumer electronics and IT will continue to progress.

“We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop,” said Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation. "While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality.”

Toshiba will continue to lead innovation, in a wide range of technologies that will drive mass market access to high definition content. These include high capacity NAND flash memory, small form factor hard disk drives, next generation CPUs, visual processing, and wireless and encryption technologies. The company expects to make forthcoming announcements around strategic progress in these convergence technologies.

Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand.

This decision will not impact on Toshiba’s commitment to standard DVD, and the company will continue to market conventional DVD players and recorders. Toshiba intends to continue to contribute to the development of the DVD industry, as a member of the DVD Forum, an international organization with some 200 member companies, committed to the discussion and defining of optimum optical disc formats for the consumer and the related industries.

Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP. Toshiba will study possible collaboration with these companies for future business opportunities, utilizing the many assets generated through the development of HD DVD.

---

We'll have additional details as they come in.

Interestingly, it's being reported by Nikkei this morning (registration required) that some Toshiba executives actually considered suing Warner last month in response to what they considered the studio's betrayal. However (according to the article text):

But the firm realized that such action was impossible "without preparing for the worst, considering Hollywood's overwhelming influence on the U.S. industry," said one executive. America is Toshiba's main market for core operations like computer chips and nuclear power. A misstep there could easily cost a huge amount of business.

The piece also confirmed that as early as February 4th, Paramount was still willing to stick with Toshiba and HD-DVD, but a "sense of crisis grew" at Toshiba nonetheless. From the text:

In visits to U.S. firms in the HD-DVD camp and listening to what was being said between the lines, the executive sensed that things had changed.

Not surprisingly, the position now being adopted by at least one company executive is that "The new generation of DVD will be short-lived. There will be no winner." We imagine that said exec would be singing a slightly different tune were Toshiba in Sony's position this morning. In any case, now that HD-DVD is done, one would expect that Paramount, DreamWorks and Universal will announce their official changes of heart soon.

Oh, by the way... Fidel Castro also just resigned as president of Cuba. No, seriously. I'm not kidding. Busy day.

Stay tuned...

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2008 at 06:26 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #78 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 06:57 PM »
Whoa finally the war has ended.

Offline wilson

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 07:42 PM »
time to buy that ps3 :)

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #80 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 08:01 PM »

We have the same sentiments and I totally agree with you. A lot of my friends ask me why do I still buy CD's and DVD's given that it is readily available for DL. I guess the thrill of "searching" and paying over the counter your most wanted titles still makes our day after all.  ;)

Hate to say but we want it or not, that’s where it’s going. I guess that’s why some still have their LPs or 4/8 tracks! Remember the time when Sony has the Walkman with cassette tapes? I bought the 2nd generation noong bagong labas yan. Come to think of it Sony again didn’t capitalized the digital Walkman… now called MP3 player!!! Funny how times flies!

Now, is it time to but those 2TB HD's?  ::)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 08:57 PM »
Now that its over, its time to move on and hope for more titles in Highdef.    Hoping for more pristine highdef transfers and lossless soundtracks.  Hoping too that hardware and software pricing will decrease gradually and for more ordinary consumers to adopt the format.   

At least now that the HD DVD is dead, I hope that there would be no more bickering about the war, in this board and other forums. ( and hoping to see less of Bill Hunt's rants and raves.....  ;D ;D ;D)

I would also take this opportunity to thanks Toshiba and HD DVD.  The format gave me my first glimpse of high definition, and I never looked back since.   If there is one thing that the format war gave, it gave enthusiasts like me to adopt easier thru competitive pricing, BOGOs and other deals.

Its now time for studios to deliver movies like Jurassic Park, Star`Wars, LOTR, The Godfather and the like in Blu-ray.  Bring them on so we can now turn are attention to watching and enjoying highdef movies!!  ;) 

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2008 at 09:00 PM by Munskie »

Offline sweetmisery

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 09:10 PM »
Dead Red indeed.

Now bring on Cloverfield, King Kong, and the upcoming Iron Man movie to Blu-ray!

WOOOOOOO!!!

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #83 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 09:14 PM »
and hoping to see less of Bill Hunt's rants and raves.....  ;D ;D ;D)

Michael Bay should be very happy by now... ;D

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 09:49 PM »
Michael Bay should be very happy by now... ;D

i just hope its a BD50 encode lols

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 09:57 PM »
The consumers have spoken!

Finally, time to buy/upgrade to a dedicated BD player!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Panasonic DMP-BD30 or the Panasonic DMP-BD50?

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:12 PM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:16 PM »
The consumers have spoken!

Finally, time to buy/upgrade to a dedicated BD player!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Panasonic DMP-BD30 or the Panasonic DMP-BD50?

that depends, if you really want the BD Live functionality, i mean that player has 1 GB of memory XD so its expensive, for me BD30 will suffice

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:34 PM »
C'MON UNIVERSAL AND PARAMOUNT! ANNOUNCE YOUR CAPITULATION AND GIVE US BLU RAY MOVIES!!!

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:46 PM »
C'MON UNIVERSAL AND PARAMOUNT! ANNOUNCE YOUR CAPITULATION AND GIVE US BLU RAY MOVIES!!!

and pls re-encode them for BD50

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 11:55 PM »
Transformers on Blu-ray! Woohoo!