Author Topic: 5.1 analog outputs  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
5.1 analog outputs
« on: Feb 17, 2008 at 01:38 AM »
which is better for DVD movies, 5.1 analog output to receiver or the conventional digital coax/toslink?  I read in the Pioneer dvd player manual that it is best to use 5.1 analog output.  Anyone knows?  AV_Phile1, im sure you know.  Please comment.  Tnx.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 5.1 analog outputs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2008 at 11:39 AM »
Yes, for now, it is best to use the 5.1 analog output of your player if it's HD DVD or Blu Ray.  Because you can enjoy the new lossless tracks easily, even using last year's receiver models without HDMI 1.3  You can also use their older HDMI 1.1 where the digital LPCM signals can pass together with the video signals.  But many pundits in other forums debate on their superiority due to jitter issues.  The decoders in the new HD players are all cutting-edge at the moment.  There's really nothing superior or new that HD decoders in new receivers can offer in this area at this time.

And more so because you cannot enjoy the HDi interactivity available in most HD DVD discs authored in Advance Content if the decoding is done outside the player.  This is part of the HD DVD specs and has more to do with the disc than the hardware.  That goes for BD discs as well, but that's still irrelevant as there are still no BD players with BD spec 2.0 as far as I know.

Bear in mind that Toslink and digital coax connections can only carry the older DD and DTS bitstreams.  They don't have the required bandwidth to carry DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD or MA.  But that doesn't mean you cannot use toslink for HD discs.  The HD players downconvert the lossless tracks to DTS and many HD discs do have secondary audio tracks containing DD or DTS. 

« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2008 at 11:51 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2008 at 10:50 PM »
The ever reliable AV_Phile1 has answered my question!  Anyways, Im referring to the 5.1 output of the DV-696 only and hot Blu-Ray nor HD DVD.  Will I have an advantage using these outputs as compared to coax/toslink?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 12:17 AM »
Yes, for now, it is best to use the 5.1 analog output of your player if it's HD DVD or Blu Ray.

So if it's not, then....it's not the best route.

Unless your player has a DAC circuit superior to your receiver's.  Or maybe some unique surround enhancing digital feature you prefer over anything your receiver offers.

Your player is DVD-audio and SACD capable - a universal player.  So while its 5.1 analog output may not be the best, you have no choice but to use them to enjoy DVD-Auidio and SACD. I have yet to see a receiver with outboard SACD and DVD-A decorders.

You really shouldn't have a problem choosing.  Because you can have both analog and digital connections to your receiver.  And just switch to either whichever appeals to you.  But you have to switch the receiver input to analog when listening to DVD-A and SACD,
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008 at 12:37 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 08:04 AM »
Thanks AV!  You should start billing people as a side line. hehehe.  ;D

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 01:11 PM »
Granting that the dolbytrueHD or DTS-HD or MA are the better audio formats now, can we really enjoy or maximize the benefits it promised to offer under our present HT setup. My point is, if we are so serious enough to endulge on those necessary upgrades, we have to focus first on tightening up the issues affecting our viewing environment.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 05:02 PM »
Unless your player has a DAC circuit superior to your receiver's.  Or maybe some unique surround enhancing digital feature you prefer over anything your receiver offers.

If you are using a good quality DVD player with analog outputs, it can be an alternative. I tried to use the analog outputs of the Pioneer DV-600 to an integrated 5 channel power amp (no DSP's) for my secondary setup and the DAC's of the DV-600 were comparable to entry level receivers. If you have high level receivers, of course, go for their DACs.

I was listening to concerts w/ this setup yesterday & it was great!
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008 at 05:13 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline otepsy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2008 at 07:06 PM »
sir i have dv-600 and hk avr 135 which is better connection for dvd movie and music audio?

my current setting is coax for dvd movie and analog for music audio...

can you suggest a better set-up? Thanks.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2008 at 07:49 PM »
sir i have dv-600 and hk avr 135 which is better connection for dvd movie and music audio?

my current setting is coax for dvd movie and analog for music audio...

can you suggest a better set-up? Thanks.

I would suggest to verify which unit has better DAC installed  and take advantage of it's qualities. Also, since you have connected both, compare them and let your hears decide which sounded better from different sources (Movie/Music) ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2008 at 08:27 PM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2008 at 08:01 PM »
Granting that the dolbytrueHD or DTS-HD or MA are the better audio formats now, can we really enjoy or maximize the benefits it promised to offer under our present HT setup. My point is, if we are so serious enough to endulge on those necessary upgrades, we have to focus first on tightening up the issues affecting our viewing environment.

In a word, YES.  Provided your receiver has 5.1 analog input, using the 5.1 analog output of BD or HD DVD players, you can enjoy the new lossless formats.  Last year's receivers with HDMI 1.1 can better gain the benefits using the LPCM data coming out of the high def players.