Author Topic: Universal Studios Goes Blu!!!  (Read 3925 times)

Offline sweetmisery

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Universal Studios Goes Blu!!!
« on: Feb 20, 2008 at 01:48 AM »
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/

Breaking: Universal Studios Goes Blu
Tue Feb 19, 2008 at 12:14 PM ET

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will release its titles on Blu-ray.

Though details of the studio's transition away from HD DVD were still sketchy at press time, Universal Studios Home Entertainment President Craig Kornblau officially confirmed the move for the longtime-HD DVD supporter in a just issued statement:

"The path for widespread adoption of the next-generation platform has finally become clear," stated Craig Kornblau, President, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Universal Pictures Digital Platforms.

“Universal will continue its aggressive efforts to broaden awareness for hi-def’s unparalleled offerings in interactivity and connectivity, at an increasingly affordable price. The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate. While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray."

We'll have more on this breaking story as it comes to us.
------------

Wow that was fast...

Not really "breaking news" though since its expected. Still, it warrants its own thread.

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: Universal Studios Goes Blu!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 02:26 AM »
When something like this happens....you know what's next???

SARS ALERT...SARS ALERT...SARS ALERT!!!
Upgrade to Bluray... ::)

Offline darkwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 02:52 AM »
Bourne Trilogy in BD50 pls!!!!

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 08:05 AM »
Eh, expected na to... Next should be Paramount and Dreamworks

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 08:21 AM »
King Kong is coming to town soon in BLUE costume! :D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 08:21 AM »
What's taking Paramount too long to make an announcement?   Still negotiating "sukli" with Toshiba, or, getting punished by BDA for a while???

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 08:53 AM »
Should I be happy about this? Of course!!! Bourne and the rest of my favorite Focus Features movies would be coming soon...
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 08:59 AM »
What's taking Paramount too long to make an announcement?   Still negotiating "sukli" with Toshiba, or, getting punished by BDA for a while???

Good things come to those who wait...hehehe

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 09:02 AM »
King Kong is coming to town soon in BLUE costume! :D

i was wondering, will any of the HD-DVD adopters buy blu-ray versions of the movies they already own?

with the profile 2.0 players not even out yet, what about those HD-DVDs with the internet connectivity? will the blu-ray versions of those be delayed until the profile 2.0 players are out or will they be nerfed just for the sake of being released early?
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2008 at 09:04 AM by animated »

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 09:03 AM »
SERENITY on BLU-RAY please!!!!!!!
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 09:27 AM »
SERENITY on BLU-RAY please!!!!!!!

count me in this also...  :D

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 09:41 AM »
if the hd dvd early adopters still have their players working i dont see the need to buy it in blu ray.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 10:03 AM »
i was wondering, will any of the HD-DVD adopters buy blu-ray versions of the movies they already own?

with the profile 2.0 players not even out yet, what about those HD-DVDs with the internet connectivity? will the blu-ray versions of those be delayed until the profile 2.0 players are out or will they be nerfed just for the sake of being released early?

There is no way I will rebuy my hddvd titles in blu (cost too much na), unless of course my favorites will be way better in blu. I will be more selective. I'm waiting for more hddvd discs to go down to 10 to 12 dollars and snap it up.  Maybe there will be buy 1 take 3 ;D  Also LG will continue to support  hddvd (so that is a little relief for me bec of my hddvd library, for backup player, just in case), I think that is a great move by LG bec some with only hddvd will buy their dual player to get into blu, once those toshiba players run out. However, we don't know how many people  that would  be.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 10:33 AM »

Here comes Randy Jackson again.  A million billion trillion percent NO unless they can develop a technology to simulate scent within the scene.   :) :) :)  By the time my HD DVD player finally conks out, masuka-suka na malamang ako sa kauulit ng HD DVD titles ko right now.   

Just like DVD, BD versions of the same title will probably be released in 2 - 3 iterations regardless of the profile of the BD player.   :) :) :) 

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 01:10 PM »
Here comes Randy Jackson again.  A million billion trillion percent NO unless they can develop a technology to simulate scent within the scene.   :) :) :)  By the time my HD DVD player finally conks out, masuka-suka na malamang ako sa kauulit ng HD DVD titles ko right now.   

Just like DVD, BD versions of the same title will probably be released in 2 - 3 iterations regardless of the profile of the BD player.   :) :) :) 

Yup paulit ulit din ako watching some favorites, esp. Notting Hill with my wife, hehe..Great love story movie. We love Hugh Grant.

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 05:02 PM »
i guess i forgot to add "if they enhance the blu-ray version" to my question.

but i hear you, i'm sick of double dips.  :P

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 08:05 PM »
Universal joining Blu-ray bandwagon in the summer
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Universal Studios, once Hollywood's top backer of the doomed HD DVD video format, will soon release all its new videos on the victorious Blu-ray rival at the same time as its standard DVDs.

The studio is set to announce Thursday that the program will kick off in the summer with the recent box office flop "Doomsday."

Universal's Blu-ray strategy includes plans to release about 40 titles in the second half of the year.

Among them are the studio's five big feature films of the summer, including "The Incredible Hulk," with Edward Norton, William Hurt and Liv Tyler; "Wanted," an action thriller starring James McAvoy and Angelina Jolie; "Hellboy II: The Golden Army"; "Mamma Mia," the adaptation of the musical starring Meryl Streep; and the sequel "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," with Brendan Fraser and Jet Li.

Universal officially will enter the Blu-ray market July 22 with a trio of films from its "Mummy" action-adventure franchise: "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns," both starring Fraser, and the spinoff "The Scorpion King," with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Also planned for domestic Blu-ray before the year is up are the catalog titles "American Gangster," "Knocked Up," "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," "Miami Vice," "End of Days," "U-571" and "Land of the Dead," among others.

Universal had been HD DVD's biggest studio backer ever since the next-generation optical disc format came to market in April 2006. But when Toshiba pulled the plug on the format in February, the studio wasted no time switching its allegiance to Sony's Blu-ray.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1740482320080417?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 01:56 AM »
Not planning to rebuy my Uni or Paramount titles on Blu.  I'm actually still buying more of their remaining HD DVD stock because of the fire sales going on all around me! Atonement, Pan's Labyrinth, and Eastern Promises for $8 each? Yes, please...

That being said, I am glad that Uni finally went Blu. People who don't have HD DVD players can finally get their hands on titles that they have been waiting for that was previously exclusive to the format. Now I'm just waiting for Paramount to make their "return to Blu" announcement so I can get There Will Be Blood (and hopefully The Godfather Trilogy and Indy Trilogy) on Blu.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2008 at 02:00 AM by kings5504 »
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 07:40 AM »
Universal Unveils Inaugural Slate of Film and TV Offerings Coming to Blu-ray(TM) Disc Day and Date With DVD

Heroes: Season Two Will Mark the Studio's First Global Event Release

Lineup to Include Summer 2008's Most Anticipated Films From Universal Pictures: THE INCREDIBLE HULK, Wanted, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Mamma Mia! and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, As Well as Some of the Studio's Other Biggest Titles

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., April 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal Studios Home Entertainment revealed its initial lineup of film and television properties arriving later this year on Blu-ray(TM) Disc, day and date with DVD, it was announced today by Craig Kornblau, President, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Universal Pictures Digital Platforms. Marking the rollout of the studio's first global release on Blu-ray(TM) will be the "Heroes: Season Two," which will debut beginning August 26, 2008.

The highly anticipated premier of the sophomore season of NBC's "Heroes" will be buoyed by the simultaneous debut of "Heroes Season One" on Blu-ray(TM). Later in the year and in time for the holidays, five of the year's most promising feature films will arrive in high definition: THE INCREDIBLE HULK, the action-packed new chapter of one of the most popular Super Hero sagas of all time that stars Edward Norton, William Hurt and Liv Tyler; Wanted, the action-thriller from stunning visualist director Timur Bekmambetov that stars Morgan Freeman, James McAvoy and Angelina Jolie; Hellboy II: The Golden Army, the epic vision of imagination from acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro; Mamma Mia!, the musical romantic comedy in which Meryl Streep leads an all-star cast in the adaptation of the beloved musical; and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, the next installment in The Mummy franchise in which Jet Li, Maria Bello, Michelle Yeoh and newcomer Luke Ford join the returning Brendan Fraser and John Hannah for a supernatural adventure that shifts the series to the Far East.

"We are thrilled that our preliminary slate of Blu-ray(TM) offerings comprises such a brilliant collection of high-def centric fare," said Mr. Kornblau. "As awareness for Blu-ray(TM) continues to grow, consumers will learn to rely on the superior quality picture, sound, interactivity and connectivity that only high-definition home entertainment delivers."

The first wave of Universal Blu-ray(TM) releases, which hits U.S. stores July 22nd, gives fans of The Mummy franchise a chance to relive the iconic blockbuster films' thrilling beginnings in crystal-clear high-definition. The Mummy and The Mummy Returns, starring Brendan Fraser, and the hugely successful action-packed spin-off The Scorpion King, starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, all will be released on Blu-ray(TM) for the first time that day.

The first of Universal's new theatrical Blu-ray(TM) releases hitting store shelves this summer day and date with its DVD counterpart is the apocalyptic thrill-ride DOOMSDAY, starring Rhona Mitra, Malcolm McDowell and Bob Hoskins. Other titles on deck for 2008 include American Gangster, Knocked Up, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Miami Vice, End of Days, U-571 and Land of the Dead, among others.

Furthering Universal's aggressive rollout of Blu-ray(TM) product globally, Universal Pictures International Entertainment, the company's international home entertainment arm, is concurrently announcing its initial slate of Blu-ray(TM) releases for the international marketplace today.

Universal Studios Home Entertainment is a unit of Universal Pictures, a division of Universal Studios (http://www.universalstudios.com). Universal Studios is a part of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80%-owned by General Electric, with 20% owned by Vivendi.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #19 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 09:06 AM »
This should be very good news esp for those previous BD fanboys.  ;)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 02:33 PM »
Keep It Comin' Baby!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 08:45 PM »
Haven't bought any Heroes yet... and I'm thrilled to have this on BD!!!  ;D