Author Topic: Dilemma or The Unofficial HD-DVD players owners' thread :(  (Read 9743 times)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
My HD-DVD player will arrive this week. I purchased it in the first week of November last year, back when everybody was prediciting the demise of blu ray (due to, among others, paramount's decision to support HD, the price-cut on HD-DVD players). In the interim, Toshiba has announced its surrender to blu-ray.

I am now faced with a dilemma. On the assumption that no one will be interested in buying the player from me, do I just cut my losses (about 8-9K for the player) and just think of it as an upscaling player for my R1 DVDs? Or do I buy more HD-DVD discs, take advantage of what I expect to be price cuts on the titles (for retailers wanting to dispose of them)? While I would prefer the latter option, I am a bit hesitant as to what would happen if my HD-DVD player conks out in the future. Then I will have a bunch of HD-DVD discs and no player to play them with, and no available replacement in the market.  :(

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2008 at 11:06 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
Re: Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 06:46 PM »
If you have no hddvd discs then I would just sell it. If you have 30 or more hddvd discs already or lots of region 1 dvds then I would just keep it. If your player conks out, you can always sell your 30 or more hddvd discs. 300 to 400 pesos a piece ;D,

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 09:55 PM »
Or you have 30 -40 silver coasters...Hehehe. Don't buy any HD-DVD discs since the player can still be unloaded, but at a loss of course.

Offline nukee

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 03:36 PM »
I'd sell the player at around half the cost you bought it and at least cut the cost of my loss in half. I'd rather get a universal uscaler at least i can still use it for r1 dvd or r3 dvd's. Just my opinion though.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 08:01 PM »
You will first get frustrated at the loooonnnnggggg time for the machine to boot and another loooonnng time for the disc to play. Unlike ordinary SD DVD upscaler which plays almost instantly :D :D :D

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 07:51 AM »
Got the same problem recently... my mom-in-law got me the HD-A3 from wallmart. When she called me up I insisted that she should return the unit and get a blu-ray. Buti na lang pumayag walmart. I requested them to use and test for 2 months so they could return in case of a problem. If everything will be fine, they will send this to me by April...with all the blu-ray discs they will purchase and use for testing.  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 08:04 AM »
just curious, what BD player did you get?

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 08:26 AM »
One month to obsolence...

Amazon Alert

Product Alert: On February 19, 2008, Toshiba officially announced that after a "thorough review of its overall strategy" they have decided to no longer develop, manufacture, and market HD DVD players and recorders. The company has reduced shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels and expects to be out of the HD DVD business by the end of March 2008. Future availability of HD DVD discs is unknown. HD DVD players will continue to play HD DVD discs and upconvert standard DVD discs to 1080p high-definition resolution. Check our High-Def 101 page for the latest information on the high-definition-player landscape.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008 at 08:27 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 08:58 AM »
What's the model BTW? Is it unopened?  What's your asking price in case?

If it's an HD-A3 or HD-A20 which currently sells for about $100, I'd offer to buy it for $80 anytime before 14 March.   
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008 at 09:01 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 02:26 PM »
just curious, what BD player did you get?

bro Sony BDP-S300
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 05:06 PM »
I'm using mine as an R1 upscaler. No offense to those that are buying HD DVDs right now, but I think doing so is a bit crazy, since as you said, when your player conks out, you'll basically be stuck with useless silver coasters. That thought flashed through my mind when I was holding the HD DVD of Beowulf in my hands last Wednesday, and I came to my senses and placed it back on the shelf.

Unload it if you can, use it if you must (Is your collection predominantly R1?), do not buy discs unless you're willing to buy the same titles again on Blu-ray in a few years when  your HD DVD player inevitably dies.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008 at 05:10 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 09:47 PM »
My HD-DVD player will arrive this week. I purchased it in the first week of November last year, back when everybody was prediciting the demise of blu ray (due to, among others, paramount's decision to support HD, the price-cut on HD-DVD players). In the interim, Toshiba has announced its surrender to blu-ray.

I am now faced with a dilemma. On the assumption that no one will be interested in buying the player from me, do I just cut my losses (about 8-9K for the player) and just think of it as an upscaling player for my R1 DVDs? Or do I buy more HD-DVD discs, take advantage of what I expect to be price cuts on the titles (for retailers wanting to dispose of them)? While I would prefer the latter option, I am a bit hesitant as to what would happen if my HD-DVD player conks out in the future. Then I will have a bunch of HD-DVD discs and no player to play them with, and no available replacement in the market.  :(

my suggestion is for you to just use it, its going to be such a big loss if you sell it. Maybe toshiba will leak out the codes by march for it to be a region-free player.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM »
sell it. cut your losses. ;D

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 11:34 PM »

Hi bro, as mentioned above, if you have a library of R1s and a coupla red discs, then just keep it (unless you direly need SARS money).
One thing's for sure though, in light of Tosh's 'discontinuation' announcement, best you refrain from buying t buy any hd-dvd discs anymore IMO. 

Stand firm and don't be tempted cause I'm sure they'll be flooding the marketplace with red titles but keep in mind that if your HD-DVD machine breaks, hello silver coasters / paperweight.  ;)

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 06:51 PM »
If you have no hddvd discs then I would just sell it. If you have 30 or more hddvd discs already or lots of region 1 dvds then I would just keep it. If your player conks out, you can always sell your 30 or more hddvd discs. 300 to 400 pesos a piece ;D,

i just counted. have 6 HD-DVDs and 30 R1s. still undecided...

@pekspert,

Oo nga ano? That would be a good way to salvage the Toshiba. Just treat it as an upscaling player. Sana may maka discover na ng pang-unlock sa kanya so it's capable of reading DVDs from all regions.

@Clondalkin,

I have the HD-A3. Its been opened and used - but mostly to test if it works. Haven't watched a full movie yet. Just tried the connections and the discs (heard there were some problems reading some discs, though so far, no problem on my end).

Will think about your offer :)

@All,

I've officially converted this thread to an HD-DVD player owner's thread. Para may karamay :)

Anyway, will tinker with it in the meantime, while deciding. Have 6 HD-DVDs to watch. Tamang-tama long weekend. Some questions:

1. Did you guys upgrade the firmware?

2. I have a Panasonic 42pv70. So far, setting ko is 720p ang resolution, not 1080i, tama ba?

3. I got tired of having to unplug and plug the cables from the Pioneer dvd player to the Toshiba, so I've decided to do the following:
a. Video: connect the Pana to the HD-A3 via HDMI (thanks to CDR-King!), while using component video to connect the Pioneer DVD to the 42pv70; and then
b. Audio: connect the Pioneer DVD to my Onkyo 494 via co-axial cable, while using optical cable to connect the Toshiba to the receiver.

ok ba ginawa ko?

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2008 at 10:22 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Dilemma or The Official HD-DVD players owners' thread :(
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 07:03 PM »
buying the current dual format players wont do any good either.. as it probably is the last of its kind... same as hddvd players...

sell your hd-dvds nalang... baka may bumili pa.

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 08:25 PM »
i have a gut feeling that toshiba may sell their dead hd-dvd technology to the chinese electronics manufacturer. NOw if that happens then bootleg hd-dvd's will proliferate as is the usual case in china. Then hd-dvd may live on. Which is good for us.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2008 at 09:16 AM »
buying the current dual format players wont do any good either.. as it probably is the last of its kind... same as hddvd players...

sell your hd-dvds nalang... baka may bumili pa.

right, you can sell them to me at a discount ;-)

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
Re: Dilemma or The Unofficial HD-DVD players owners' thread :(
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2008 at 10:10 AM »
Tonedeaf, hello
1. I did not upgrade my firmware yet, Im running 1.3 ok naman at the moment.
2. If you set to 1080i your tv will downscale to its native resolution, I think 720p ( you have to confirm with others, Im not sure on this stuff)
3. To me ok ginawa mo. But if you want both players to run hdmi, they have those hdmi switchers, but added cost pa to purchase those. If you dont run hdmi on your pioneer you cant upscale your region 3 dvds ata. I dont think it will upscale thru component.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 09:04 AM »
Why not maximize the use of the HD DVD?

I respect the suggestion of others as regards not buying (or not recommending to buy) disks anymore but here's my opinion.

I have been buying select R1 DVDs since 1999 but renting most of the time.  Among those titles that I have bought, even with various kinds of machines that are capable of playing DVD in every corner of my house, I've not touched most of my owned titles for a looooong while mainly because there are always new releases every week that can be accessed through the rental shops or through the net.  My daughter has also grown not to rewatch her favorite titles like 1000x as she did until grade school. The only value those catalogue DVDs have right now, is when I look at them neatly stacked in the shelves and realize "oh this was a nice movie."  I'm not using them as coasters, but I'm not using them at all either, so what's the difference.

2nd, my early 1999 generation DVD player that didn't even have component video output still works as well as it did when I first opened it.  Assuming the current HD DVD players are not as reliably built, do you really think it would die in 1 or 3 years of normal usage?

3rd, right now I only have about 30 HD DVD titles. I've watched them all fully at least 2x each and I have the habit of popping in a disk while doing the ironing - a chore you "spoiled" husbands and wives with maids based in the Philippines should learn to appreciate for a better perpective of real life outside the Philippines - he he he.

In any case, the chances of me buying the BD transfers of already available HD DVD titles is practically ZERO even if my HD DVD player conks out.  So despite Toshiba's defeat, I'm always on a look-out for fire sales of disks, not for collection purpose but to actually watch.  If I can get titles I've never watched or would like to rewatch in high def 1-3 times for $15 or less, that's a great deal for me already considering it would cost me $4 to rent SD DVD and worse, $18 for a movie ticket.  Besides, SAYANG lang HDTV ko if I don't do that.  The HDTV is much more valuable than the HD DVD player, so I've got to maximize it's use.  It's a high def experience travesty to have an HDTV and use it mainly for upscaled DVD watching.

But real collectors have already posted that the fun is more on collecting discs than actually watching.   I cannot appreciate that at all obviously but are you that type or not?

So in my opinion, if you decide to keep your HD DVD player, you'd better maximize it.  If not, you'd better unload it now while it still has some value.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 09:26 AM »
I'm using my HD-A2 and I'm quite happy with it.

In regards to durability, I hope the unit lasts long.
What I really like about my A2 is that it has a quiet fan and it does not heat up even after watching n entire movie and its special features.

I will continue to buy select HD-DVD titles for now.

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 04:57 PM »
I've been tinkering with the connections - audio and video - of the HD-A3.

Initially, I used component video cable to connect the HD-A3 to my TV. When I tried playing R1 S-DVDs, the resolution was still at 480p. When I was finally able to install the HDMI cable, the resolution for S-DVDs was already at 720p. Searched the internet and realized that the HD-A3 only upscales S-DVDs if you use HDMI. It can't upscale with component video.

The one other thing I have discovered is that the HD-A3 is much better paired with an HDMI-capable receiver. Unfortunately, mine isn't. So I'm stuck using optical cable. Apparently, using this connection, the sound will be mala-S-DVD lang, rather than HD-DVD.

I have both the R3 S-DVD Bourne Identity and the HD-DVD version of it. I tried to compare the resolution of both movies (in effect, 480p na S-DVD versus 720p na HD-DVD). Maybe because it was already 1 am (and antok na ako), but I couldn't see much of a difference. Hehe. Parang pareho lang sila. I was so sure pa naman that HD-DVD would be noticeably better in terms of resolution.

Sa sound naman, S-DVDs sound louder. In terms of detail, halos equal lang, with a slight edge to HD-DVD. When I was testing out the HD-A3 parang walang sound coming from the rear speakers. Pero parang nawala na 'to, with me not knowing how I solved it. Hehe.

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2008 at 05:07 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 08:58 PM »
Tonedeaf, hello
1. I did not upgrade my firmware yet, Im running 1.3 ok naman at the moment.

I just checked my firmware, it's 1.1 pa lang. From what I know, up to 2.0 na ngayon. I figure I probably shouldn't upgrade unless I encounter problems?

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 12:40 AM »
If anyone is unloading his HD-DVD collection, pls PM me your best prices... 

:)

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 05:24 AM »
while some are having a dilemma of having a HD DVD, I just bought my second HD DVD player [A3] yesterday at Best Buy. Two free disc inside the box ang 5 more from mail in rebate. The disc alone is already worth the price. But i will be selling the two free disc [300 and Bourne Identity] since I already have those.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 06:12 PM »
same here. unload your hd dvds to me heheheh.

im pretty sure you can get your hands on a dual format player in the future. or a cheap new one even 5 years down the road.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 09:59 PM »
For those who are interested, a lot of paramounts hddvds are on sale 11.95 nalang now on amazon. I got We were soldiers, Failure to launch, Tomb raider and Sky captain. :)

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 06:33 AM »
while some are having a dilemma of having a HD DVD, I just bought my second HD DVD player [A3] yesterday at Best Buy. Two free disc inside the box ang 5 more from mail in rebate. The disc alone is already worth the price. But i will be selling the two free disc [300 and Bourne Identity] since I already have those.

Sir, just asking ha. How much? BTW, I got the 300 hddvd free when i purchased my hddvd player and unfortunately, it wont play. Even with all the firmware update, it just wont work. If you plan to sell it to me, pa-try na ser ok lang maski unsealed, lets discuss the price offline!  ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 10:19 AM »
For those who are interested, a lot of paramounts hddvds are on sale 11.95 nalang now on amazon. I got We were soldiers, Failure to launch, Tomb raider and Sky captain. :)

Such a pain when the title you want costs only $12 yet you've got to pay $8 for international shipment ne.  Oh well, I decided to get Untouchables and Top Gun para masulit ng konti shipping fee.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 11:41 PM »
Such a pain when the title you want costs only $12 yet you've got to pay $8 for international shipment ne.  Oh well, I decided to get Untouchables and Top Gun para masulit ng konti shipping fee.

Ya disadvantage talaga tayo in terms of shipping  versus living in america  :(..I also try to maximize on all my shipping but always end up spending more bec will tend to purchase more discs ;D..But all of these hddvd discs promos at these low prices is way worth it for me.