Author Topic: Speakers for Tube Amp  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Speakers for Tube Amp
« on: Feb 25, 2008 at 01:12 AM »
Anybody can recommend the best speakers B/S or F/S for a Cayin tube amp?  Im considering EPOS.

Offline mrquery

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • I'm here and there....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Speakers for Tube Amp
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 04:11 AM »
hello,

I used to own cayin A-50T tube amp and paired it with aurumn cantus leisure 2sv. Try and check if this matches your preference.

- cris
US Gears: Eico | Tannoy | Thorens | MHDT
KL. Gears: Arcam | Castle | Thorens
PH Gears: HK | Infinty

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 11:18 AM »
Thanks Cris.  Im thinking of getting a British brand.

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 11:27 AM »
Acoustic Energy AE ELITE

the wood thickness of this speaker and weight is comparable to mission volare's; and its size is like a 602s3.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2008 at 11:29 AM by ctlim »

Offline Saxman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Parabellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 11:42 AM »
EPOS is a good choice (IMO  ;D).  Pair your cayin with the Epos M12 or better yet, there's a slightly used M22 for sale at Watt HiFi.  Its being sold for only around 60t while the brand new price is around 75-80t.  You will not regret it  ;)

Offline Philjonc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 12:46 PM »
Anybody can recommend the best speakers B/S or F/S for a Cayin tube amp?  Im considering EPOS.

what particular cayin tube amp do you intend to use?

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 02:35 PM »
id go for the most neutral sounding speakers you can find... imho, the acoustic energy is a little bit more like it than the epos. (although its very hard to find na)

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 04:50 PM »
what particular cayin tube amp do you intend to use?

Well honestly, I do not have a tube amp yet.  I went to Watt Hi Fi and Elmo made me audition an Epos F/S and a Cayin Tube amp with an Apolllo cd player.  I was literally blown away.  Para kaming nakadrugs habang nakikinig.  Sarap sa tenga.  My first tube experience.  Hindi na tuloy ako virgin kaya hinahanap hanap ko na. ;D

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 08:12 PM »
hmmm... try to audition pa, medyo maliit kasi ung space na yun e...

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 10:23 PM »
hmmm... try to audition pa, medyo maliit kasi ung space na yun e...

Thanks Christian.  Will definitely do.  What do you suggest brand and model of tube amp and speakers na reasonably priced.  Cayin talaga im considering pero speakers medyo di ko pa alam.  Just like what you said, AE's are hard to find. 

Offline ches

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 10:41 PM »
id go for the most neutral sounding speakers you can find... imho, the acoustic energy is a little bit more like it than the epos. (although its very hard to find na)

last dec. i saw there is still some acoustic enerygy elite in digital dreams north edsa cyberzone.

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 10:46 PM »
ano budget mo lance? i believe the cayin a50-t costs 45k?

i listened to the AE Elite on a Cayin and liked it better than the Epos due to its better overall balance and mids that put me to sleep faster than yoga.

btw, dont count out the aurum cantus speakers just because they are not made in the UK. before taking the plunge into a 45k cayin a50-t, try to check out some of the branded 2nd hand tube amps for sale at wiredstate... baka may kasamang speakers ka na for the mere budget of the amp.

so are you inclined to get an EL34 based tube amp?

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 08:11 AM »
ano budget mo lance? i believe the cayin a50-t costs 45k?

i listened to the AE Elite on a Cayin and liked it better than the Epos due to its better overall balance and mids that put me to sleep faster than yoga.

btw, dont count out the aurum cantus speakers just because they are not made in the UK. before taking the plunge into a 45k cayin a50-t, try to check out some of the branded 2nd hand tube amps for sale at wiredstate... baka may kasamang speakers ka na for the mere budget of the amp.

so are you inclined to get an EL34 based tube amp?

Christian, ikaw ata nag BI sakin eh.  It all started when I went to your house. :)

Budget?  The more money I save, the better.  I don't know if an EL34 is better than a KT88.  Whats the diff?  Im really new at this.

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 09:03 AM »
Christian, ikaw ata nag BI sakin eh.  It all started when I went to your house. :)

Budget?  The more money I save, the better.  I don't know if an EL34 is better than a KT88.  Whats the diff?  Im really new at this.

KT88 more power, more versatile if you like to listen to all kinds of music.  Medyo mabibitin ka sa EL34 if you're listening to rock, alternative, bass-heavy songs.  Otherwise, EL34 is good.

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:43 AM »
^^^ actually we are talking generalities. the type of speaker, cdp, wires also contributes to overall contentment. keyword... matching your equipment.

choose a tube amp based on what music you normally listen to but don't limit your choices to a specific genre... kasi, once you listen to other music yari ka... non-stop upgrading ang gagawin mo and in the end, you dont know what you want anymore. versatility is important.... and it doesnt start and end with the amp... it goes all the way to your speakers.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:59 AM »
Bro Lancito, i think there are still AE speakers at Spectra park square 1, try to check na lang bro. Seryoso ka na talaga mag-tube ha, try to audition as many as you can para marami ka pagpilian (tube amp and speakers) :)

Goodluck ;)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 11:04 AM »
Yup the only pair left is the AE i posted above. AELITE 2. 37k less 20% on cash.

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 12:03 PM »
Thanks for the input Christian and Reynold. 

When I spoke to Tyrone of Audio Amplified, he recommends that I first get a good cd player.  Gusto ko sana Cayin cd player pero around 26K.  Medyo butas bulsa ko nun.  Can you recommend a good CD player?  Also, I might go for the KT88 nga.

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM »

When I spoke to Tyrone of Audio Amplified, he recommends that I first get a good cd player.  Gusto ko sana Cayin cd player pero around 26K.  Medyo butas bulsa ko nun.  Can you recommend a good CD player?  Also, I might go for the KT88 nga.

if you're serious on going tubes and you listen to all types of music and you want to go for cayin, then the recommended tube integrated amp for you is the A-70T. This amp accepts kt88/EL34/6550 tubes, designed as to tube roll to accomodate slow and fast music. But you would definitely shed out moolah.Then go for any SS cd player nalang, NAD/Cambridge para di masyado damaging sa bulsa.

Offline AudioAmplified

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 01:04 PM »

My recommendation to upgrade the CD player first is because it is currently the weakest link in your system.  You mentioned a gradual upgrade and hence you start with the component that will give you the biggest improvement and its your CD player for now.

Try to listen to different tubes before you decide on any.  Some people swear by KT-88.  Others would kill for EL-34.  I personally like 6550.  And guess what.  The KT-88 alone has different brands - all of which have different sound charactertistics.  Thats the beauty of tubes. You can tailor fit your system to what you prefer.  At the end of the day my reco is Audition the system.  Bring your speakers in and we can spend one afternoon trying different combinations.  After you are certain with one we can even let you home audition it.  Thats the best way to judge a system.

Enjoy the hunt

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 02:28 PM »
I would go for:

1) buy an amp first
2) buy both the cdp and speaker (bring your amp during the process)

why? because you are already "decided" on a Cayin KT-88. might as well get that out of the way, since your system now revolves around a particular brand of tube amp that you prefer. Will it matter if we let you listen to a non-cayin branded tube amp that sounds better? probably not.

http://www.tubedepot.com/6550kt88.html

the beauty of this is now you can decide what speaker goes best with your Cayin. Without being brand bias. Its hard to find an amp to fit your system once you already have a speaker and a cdp because what may sound nice might not be the one you can afford.  ;D (and last time I checked, cdp's and speakers still have more brand choices that tube amps)

I believe the cheapest cd players come 2nd hand. bnew, your best, most economical bet would be a NAD (16k). I know of a Cayin cd-50t selling for 23k.

btw, ches, I went to digital dreams over lunch and they do have a AELITE 1 & 2 (at 17k and 24k) big drop from the spectra price of 30net for the AELITE 2. problem lang is black finish (instead of the classier rosewood) and there are imperfections on the cabinet as they used to be demo units.

also while it is true that tube types and tube brands have different characteristics, it still can be influenced. from time to time I swap my AE bookshelf to my V62 FS to get more thump when listening to other music. When time comes that you say ah... this tube doesnt sound right with this music, (it sucks!) then you probably didnt get the right balance to start off with. Its hard to make a decent system sound bad (using different cd genres) just because of different tube types. Good sound is good sound. Just put emphasis on what "parts" of it you would like to be more evident.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2008 at 02:44 PM by ctlim »

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 01:48 PM »
I would second what the others have said.  Since you've decided on the Cayin KT88, then the best place to go is the Libis branch of Audio Amplified, so you can mix n match and audition all the speakers to your heart's content.

I'd recommend the Castle Richmonds, but since they're no longer available, try the ERA speakers if you're short on space, or the Vandersteens if space is not a problem for you.

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 01:52 PM »
I got my Cayin tube cd player today from Audio Amplified.  Next project would be the speakers and tube amp.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 02:43 PM »
I got my Cayin tube cd player today from Audio Amplified.  Next project would be the speakers and tube amp.

Nice, Congrats on your new toy bro ;)
Magkano score mo? thanks :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 02:44 PM »
Nice, Congrats on your new toy bro ;)
Magkano score mo? thanks :)

sent you PM.

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 04:20 PM »
sent you PM.

sir ako din pa pm if ok lang  ;) yan din ang dream ko na tubes kt88
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 09:55 PM »
sir ako din pa pm if ok lang  ;) yan din ang dream ko na tubes kt88

Sorry but I didn't get a tube amp.  What I got is a tube cd player. :)

Offline ae_evo1

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 11:40 AM »
last dec. i saw there is still some acoustic enerygy elite in digital dreams north edsa cyberzone.

Sir try to ask people sa Digital Dreams they can give you a big discount pa dun they have black at cherry color pa

kung gusto mo get my AE evo 1 for 8.5K im selling it still brand new raffle won ko. ;D

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 12:46 PM »
bro Lancito - congrats on the new CDP pre - ganda cguro ng sound nyan :)

I did enjoy the Epos speakers at watt hifi in MCS - mapapabili ka talaga ng mga audiophile CDs dun ;D

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 05:02 PM »
bro Lancito - congrats on the new CDP pre - ganda cguro ng sound nyan :)

I did enjoy the Epos speakers at watt hifi in MCS - mapapabili ka talaga ng mga audiophile CDs dun ;D

Thanks Macdon!  I am soooo tempted to buy the Epos M12.2.  Since I do not have a tube amp, my receiver with tube cdp will do for now.  Kung meron lang Epos M8 na center speaker dito upgrade nako dapat eh kaso hindi available.

Sarap din mamili ng cd's sa Watt HiFi.