Author Topic: MY BIG LOVE by Jade Castro  (Read 2086 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MY BIG LOVE by Jade Castro
« on: Feb 25, 2008 at 06:54 PM »
Jade Castro and Michiko Yamamoto's follow-up to ENDO, showing on Feb. 27.

Direk Jade Castro: From indie to mainstream
By Jerry Donato

If young director Jade Castro has one big love - and passion - at the moment, it is the movies. Proof of that is the Toni Gonzaga-Sam Milby-Kristine Hermosa starrer My Big Love which will hit theaters on Feb. 27. My Big Love is Jade's first commercial/mainstream movie after the award-winning indie Endo. The Star Cinema, post-Valentine movie offering is definitely not the "endo" (end of contract) for Jade to tell light yet heartwarming stories. My Big Love is a good start for someone like Jade who wishes to make it big in the film industry.

"I didn't feel any difference," replies Jade when asked about his shift from indie to commercial movies. "Maybe because I've been working as a writer for Star Cinema. I can do indie and commercial at the same time. As far as directing is concerned, I don't see any difference in terms of approach. My concern is always to make sure the movie is beautifully crafted and executed. As a director, I'm there to put the message across clearly and to be true to the movie's form. If it's comedy, I have to make it funny. If it's cheesy, then I have to make the movie appear that way."

My Big Love, Jade's directorial debut, was not served on the proverbial silver platter. He has had his share of humble beginnings and has eaten enough humble pie along the way. The Film graduate was a candidate of Star Cinema's directors training program where he was asked to read a script and come up with a treatment. They loved his idea. But it wasn't enough to jumpstart his directing career. He was even told to develop ideas but they never saw the light of day. The artist in Jade, however, couldn't contain the need to express himself. Thus he sought for another avenue. Indie was it. Endo, about Filipino workers who are employed for six months only, came to being. Star Cinema people watched it and were impressed. They never had second thoughts about entrusting My Big Love to Jade's hands.

But it was Jade's father, a self-confessed movie fan, who paved the way for Jade to be where he is now. At six, Jade started to watch films and Clash of the Titans was the first movie he watched.

"I was nervous," recalls Jade of his first shooting days with Toni, Sam and Kristine. "I had to take care of these big stars. As the day went on, we got along and it was a breeze working with them."

My Big Love is about finding the love you want and how it affects your self-image. It also talks about loving and accepting someone despite his imperfections. In the movie, Sam (Macky), a plus-size guy, falls for Kristine (Nina) who has a whistlebait figure. His weight seems to be getting in the way of winning the heart of his lady love. So he decides to lose weight. Helping Sam trim those extra poundage is Toni (Aira), a fitness trainer. She guides Sam in getting his ideal weight and image.

What is good about the movie is Toni's character shares exercises and tips moviegoers can actually apply in real life. My Big Love was shot at Gold's Gym. Some scenes show the benefits of working out and being healthy. Toni wears the official Gold's Gym uniform and carries activities personal trainers will do. For many years, Gold's Gym has helped celebrities to lose weight and sculpt their bodies.

"I like Ishmael Bernal, Mike de Leon and Lav Diaz, who are effective storytellers themselves," says Jade, also the co-producer of another indie Sarungbanggi and writer of D Anothers and First Day High. "As a director, what matters to me is to give what every movie I make needs."

Jade is a director who wants his audience to laugh or cry if the scene calls for it. If he does, it means he has done a good job.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2008 at 06:57 PM by keating »

Offline sinehansakanto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: MY BIG LOVE by Jade Castro
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:25 AM »
I like the advertisement. Jade! Endo! Filmmaking! Gold's Gym! Ishmael Bernal!

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: MY BIG LOVE by Jade Castro
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 06:56 PM »
Darn! I'll miss the preem tonight at Sm Megamall.  ;D

More pics from the movie.

Offline pjayg

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict