Author Topic: Do you believe that expensive cables really work ?  (Read 25815 times)

Offline aHobbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Do you believe that expensive cables really work ?
« Reply #150 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 05:56 PM »
uy he's baaack! ;D

TAyA siya!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Monster are made by Dai - and it is not a fake - and it is not expensive.

The only expensive in Monster is the profit!  ;D  ;D  ;D

So if you get bulk, either of the 2 is correct
(1) the selling price is cheaper (if the cost is reasonably passed to consumer)
(2) the profit is better (if the hyped cost is maintained to retail buyer)

yes, I agree with you sir. pero pagsobrang higpit naman nagagasgas yong coating ng connector... :(

and herein is another mystery of hobbyist ... that those coating is something helpful in their audio ... the fact is ... it is better to remove those coating for good conductivity ... of course, it is a choice for anybody - your eyes or your ears, anything in between is a compromise!

IMHO ... many are documented fakes ... not in the usual sense of the word ... have you heard cheap cable re-clad in high-end nice-looking heavy insulation? ... it is labeled a good brand high-end name and sold high end as well ... of course it is a high end name, what else is there! ... Of course, its construction is good, why not for the price.

As for the sound ... oh please, visit the matrixhifi.com if you are a newbie in pdvd and in the hobby ... oooh ... aaah ... what else is new? Just monster's price - relatively cheaper than before - and now challenging more expensive one the same challenge for which they were subjected before. Who's kidding who?

Back to fita!
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2008 at 06:13 PM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 06:24 AM »
Monster are made by Dai - and it is not a fake - and it is not expensive.

Is this correct? Are Monster products (at least some of them, I guess) manufactured by Dai-Ichi? Any documentation to prove this?
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 07:33 AM »
Is this correct? Are Monster products (at least some of them, I guess) manufactured by Dai-Ichi? Any documentation to prove this?

:o  :o   :o 

;D  ;D  ;D

Belief is one thing, facts is another thing!

If you live in belief system with your hobby, you will be in Nirvana ... a non-existent make belief audio world ... no more no less ... founded on concepts built on a shaky sand ... easily swayed to and fro by audio & marketing hypes

Facts are hard to come by ... and only comes to those who study and investigate their hobby before plunging to anything supported by everything except brains and common sense ...

but for fita ... just let your money work ... and then ... imagine things ... but be sure you express it poetically ... using hollow adjectives like oohhh aahhh wide high 3D soundstage ... so people can at least believe you ... and also buy!

Newbies ... start and learn RIGHT from the start ... so you end RIGHT in your hobby ... search your facts and filter your consultants ... there are lots of snake oils in the audio world - even your closest friend maybe one of the cult ... good luck!

For those born yesterday ... good luck as well ... may you have more money to feed the monsters, the imaginative and very creative manufacturers of 'high-end' gears ... whatever high-end means there (to me, its only the price - but not their product)!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 09:26 AM »
@aHobbit,

Frankly, I am only curious and intrigued that a local company might be making some of the Monster products. Are you saying that this is true, but that for some reason, you cannot disclose any documentation to prove this? As you said, facts are what are important and if you can't show any proof, I guess I will take your statement with a grain of salt.

It's not that I am a fan of Monster. I'm just curious.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 10:48 AM »

It's hard to prove, that's why I never mention it here.  Documentation will be hard to find, since Dai-ichi and its OEM client surely have a confidentiality agreement.

But I have heard whispers and speculations about it.  As for documentation, these are the best I can find:

" ... on March 13, 1989, SAISHO ONKYO INC., was formed in Cavite Export Zone to take over the production and operation for loudspeaker for its export market, customers and to name a few that include: Armstrong World Industries, Inc. KH Manufacturing, Klipsch, Mitek Corp, Stamina Int'l, BG Corporation, KEF, Celestion, Macrom, Phoenix Gold, Radio Shack, Kenwood, TDJ, Coustic, MTX, Cerwin Vega, Magnadyne, Peavey, and Monster Cable and others."

http://www.daiichi.ph/aboutus.htm

" ... supplying to almost all the OEM market, and majority of the branded market. To name a few : Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, LG, Samsung, Fujitsu Ten, Toyota, Mistubishi, Nissan, Honda, Isuzu Ford. Export OEM and ODM supplier to more than hundreds of satisfied customers of major brands, and to more than 46 countries world wide such as KEF, Celestion, Macrom, Phoenix Gold, Radio Shack, Kenwood, TDJ, Coustic, MTX, Macrom, Cerwin Vega, Magnadyne, Mito, Peavey, Monster Cable, and automotive speaker custom built for Freightliner, Peterbilt, and major R/V in the US. Replacement OEM after market speaker for Chrysler, Daimler, Volkswagen Volvo. Had been supplier also to JVC, Polk Audio, Jensen etc."

http://co-ph.com/~Dai-1chi/profile.html
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2008 at 10:51 AM by barrister »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 10:58 AM »
@barrister, thanks for the info. Quite possible nga but very hard to prove.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #156 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 12:55 PM »
ot:
does thicker means better? (regardless of the brand)
ninjababez online ..

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 01:05 PM »
I believe there's nothing wrong if ever it's true that a local company like Dai-Ichi is making monster products as long as there's excellent quality control.Big name brands ususally have their products made in countries with cheaper labor like Phils, China, Mexico etc. Besides, many U.S/Imported brands are really having their products made here and then exported back to their countries

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 01:29 PM »
There's no question about the quality.  What is controversial is the pricing.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 01:39 PM »
thats the thing bro .. i mean if theres a better alternative ... id glady choose it .. :D
like 100 pesos per 3 mtr ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2008 at 01:40 PM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 03:04 PM »
ot:
does thicker means better? (regardless of the brand)

For one, many in the audio hobby do impute different meaning to better - thicker cladding, thicker metal, thicker sound, thicker money - means better.

Then they will further put more vagueness to describe the better as - wider soundstage, crispier high, tighter bass, deeper depth, more realistic imaging, etc etc. In english, whenever you add -er in an adjective/word, you are comparing two things (or you have a reference point).

This is what is called in audio tech lingo as poetic measurement. Means nothing really. it's like 2 babies talking to each other in baby talk, and they seem to understand each other!

;D  ;D  ;D

So to answer your questions - it depends what you are talking about? thicker wire - from a standpoint of resistivity, has less resistance, better power transfer - so better.

from the standpoint of carrying your small power - may not be practical due to cost with no advantage at all - so not better.

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 03:19 PM »

That's what am pointing out ... you can get the same quality from other not known brands if you are paying attention to what quality should be looked at in a product - be it cable ... than just paying attention to name brands that ... as I said ... is just a "fake" (meaning recycled non-brand in shining armor for bigger profits)  ;D  ;D  ;D

If you are looking for good gold plating, thicker clads, screw-type or gasgas type, mabigat, mamahaling pangalan ... hay ... di ko alam kung ano pinaggagawa ng mga hobbyist na ito ... at panay quote lang sa mga technical ek-ek na di rin nila naintindihan!

I buy chinese no-name brands ... cheap ... buy one, disect, check ... if ok, buy more. Unless you really believe those monster and xindak have factory of cables!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Some curious head bought expensive cables ... and dissected it ... and traced the source in far flung eastern europe ... so cheap ... and yet so expensive!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2008 at 03:23 PM by aHobbit »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 03:31 PM »
thats the thing bro .. i mean if theres a better alternative ... id glady choose it .. :D
like 100 pesos per 3 mtr ;D

The first 1 I saw an IC with good insulation workmanship, transparent blue, with foil shielding the 2 wires inside. I bought 2. Good IC at 100 only. Tried to get more, gone! Tried to look from other sources, found cheaper immitation - not good! Recently visited deeco in ever commonwealth, found 3m of similar quality. Got 3 each @ P100. planning to cut into three pieces, so got heavy RCA's in the store as well in praparation. Of course you can buy less quality at higher price, why not.

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 04:43 PM »
nice and interesting discussion, marking it for future reference  ;D

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM »
@aHobbit,

Frankly, I am only curious and intrigued that a local company might be making some of the Monster products. Are you saying that this is true, but that for some reason, you cannot disclose any documentation to prove this? As you said, facts are what are important and if you can't show any proof, I guess I will take your statement with a grain of salt.

It's not that I am a fan of Monster. I'm just curious.

Shipping bulk together with elemental audio right from their warehouse ... to the land of the green and money!  ;) ... monster is just the tip of the iceberg  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 07:06 AM »
Shipping bulk together with elemental audio right from their warehouse ... to the land of the green and money!  ;) ... monster is just the tip of the iceberg  ;D  ;D  ;D

Ahh .. baka naman pwede sila mag-sale sa Divisoria ng export overrun.  ;D ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 07:33 AM »
Ahh .. baka naman pwede sila mag-sale sa Divisoria ng export overrun.  ;D ;D
speaking of divi .. ill try to drop by raon and check out em cables :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #167 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 08:05 AM »
o.t.

kaya ako, pag napadpad sa sm.megamall, laging bumibisita sa daii, bakasakali... ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2008 at 08:13 AM by oweidah »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 09:39 AM »
speaking of divi .. ill try to drop by raon and check out em cables :D

Their new creation ... a low sensitivity line speaker is in demo ... with the matching sub for each ... a Yamaha RX-V630 cant put a decent sound into it ... 4 ohms  ;D  ;D  ;D

The first time I saw it, the sub is just filled with primers of diff colors, and the welds in the tower are just spot welds  ;D  ;D  ;D

Due it is thin, I thought it is an array of 2" speakers  :P ... only to find out they are N8 planars  :o  :o  :o  ;D  ;D  ;D ... You need 200wpc amp to rock the house with loud and clean unobtrusive sound  8)  8)  8)

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 09:43 AM »
Their new creation ... a low sensitivity line speaker is in demo ... with the matching sub for each ... a Yamaha RX-V630 cant put a decent sound into it ... 4 ohms  ;D  ;D  ;D

The first time I saw it, the sub is just filled with primers of diff colors, and the welds in the tower are just spot welds  ;D  ;D  ;D

Due it is thin, I thought it is an array of 2" speakers  :P ... only to find out they are N8 planars  :o  :o  :o  ;D  ;D  ;D ... You need 200wpc amp to rock the house with loud and clean unobtrusive sound  8)  8)  8)

wow neo8 ribbon planars (3k/pair)...magkano naman kaya yun set? ::)

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 09:44 AM »
o.t.

kaya ako, pag napadpad sa sm.megamall, laging bumibisita sa daii, bakasakali... ;D

ako mas type ko ... auto electrical shop  :)  :)  :) ... especially for cable DIY projects ... sulit pera sa quality   8)

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 09:46 AM »
wow neo8 ribbon planars (3k/pair)...magkano naman kaya yun set? ::)

Di daw pinagbibili ... di ko din type bilhin eh ... ngetpa  ;D  ;D  ;D ... mahal kuryente para sa amp  :P  :P  :P

Pero nakapost na yung model na yun before dito sa pdvd ... mahal!

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 09:47 AM »
o.t.

oops...clarification...i dont go to daii for cables, i go there to look for interesting speakers ;D

Di daw pinagbibili ... di ko din type bilhin eh ... ngetpa  ;D  ;D  ;D ... mahal kuryente para sa amp  :P  :P  :P

Pero nakapost na yung model na yun before dito sa pdvd ... mahal!

k, mapasadahan nga minsan, baka meron "reject" na mura ::) ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2008 at 09:48 AM by oweidah »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 09:55 AM »
oops...clarification...i dont go to daii for cables, i go there to look for interesting speakers ;D

k, mapasadahan nga minsan, baka meron "reject" na mura ::) ;D

Me inofer din sa kin dati eh ... k...... ::) ... di ko gets ... pero d price is tempting especially if you know how much the profiteers are splashing it to your face  ;D  ;D  ;D . Now super k has new manufacturer ... siyempre not as good as before with mighty D ... cheaper but the price is still expensive, bigger profits ... and guised as their new models with substantial improvements ;D  ;D  ;D ... what a salestalk  :P  :P  :P

Who among the pdvd believes this Xindak, monster, kimber, XLO are manufacturing and have cable factories? Is it a fact? Its like saying HP manufactures their printers and IBM manufactures its own servers!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Welcome to the 21st century!
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2008 at 09:58 AM by aHobbit »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 10:01 AM »
i believe we all agree that expensive cable really do work......i believe the real issue here is wether the cost is worth it or not...i don't think it is... ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 10:19 AM »
i believe we all agree that expensive cable really do work......... ;D

Of course we do ... after all they are cables, what else to expect ... but we just want to say that a similar small-fraction-price cable also works the same (in fact, identical manner for this application) ... they being cable as well ... what else is there?

okay ... okay ... i know ... nobody is listening  ;D  ;D  ;D ... its all sight and not sounds!  :D  :D  :D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 10:45 AM »
im dropping by ace hardware later .. may magandang cables ba dun?
ninjababez online ..

Offline kraut

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • wink, wink .....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #177 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 11:02 AM »
yup, i noticed nga na sobrang tight and ang hirap tanggalin ng monster digital coax ko either sa dvd or sa logitech z-680 ko.... :o
I am he as you are me and we are all together !!!

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #178 on: Aug 24, 2008 at 05:25 AM »
Of course we do ... after all they are cables, what else to expect ... but we just want to say that a similar small-fraction-price cable also works the same (in fact, identical manner for this application) ... they being cable as well ... what else is there?

okay ... okay ... i know ... nobody is listening  ;D  ;D  ;D ... its all sight and not sounds!  :D  :D  :D

so i guess it works...for visual pleasure ;D may psychological effect sya na pag gwapo at mahal cables mo it indeed sound good din ;) well it better! mahal eh!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Aug 24, 2008 at 03:27 PM »
so i guess it works...for visual pleasure ;D may psychological effect sya na pag gwapo at mahal cables mo it indeed sound good din ;) well it better! mahal eh!

Yun nga yung magulo ... better ... looks ... sound good (say "high end cable") ... o di ba sound good ... to the ears kapag nabigkas mo!   ;D  ;D  ;D