Author Topic: Do you believe that expensive cables really work ?  (Read 25651 times)

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
Re: Do you believe that expensive cables really work ?
« Reply #210 on: Sep 09, 2008 at 12:10 AM »
meron talaga, expensive things are always a joy to have and be proud of....pwede kasing ipagyabang ...... ;D

i agree...

my expensive transparent speaker cables sound the same as my inexpensive 2 wired 12awg royal cord (around P36.00 per meter) which are very much available from most hardware stores... 

cheers!!
fer

Offline dindop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Primus Inter Pares
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #211 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 01:22 AM »
Parang hindi eh  :(

I tried comparing my audioquest cable vs a thin figure of 8 lamp cord. I ran a test tone, measured the voltage across my speaker terminals, and maintained it... i think i was getting around 1.61V using a 500Hz tone. That became my point of comparison between the 2 cables. I listened to spanish harlem, grandma's hands, bass test, and the brute force drum test on chesky's ultimate demo disc - over and over again, interchanging the 2 cables after each set.... all the while ensuring that prior to listening, the volume was adjusted so that the speaker voltage was the same using the 500Hz test tone.

If ever there was a difference, i couldn't hear it. If i didn't adjust the volume to maintain the speaker terminal voltage, there is a difference, i.e., the el-cheapo cable was more silent, but once volume is raised by a wee bit... nada!  :o

I didn't have the energy or gusto to continue testing at other test frequencies... nakakapagod magpalipat-lipat ng kable  ;D
RCD1072 RT-1080
Bravo,Overture
RB1090,RMB1095,RSP1098
B&W 805,HTM2,705,685
PDP428XG, 32C4000

Offline banesto

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #212 on: Apr 02, 2021 at 11:35 AM »
S-Y-N-E-R-G-Y

This is the Key!

I have used (and tried) both budget and expensive (meaning P10,000 and above)...some would work, some would not, what matters is SYSTEM MATCHING! I have tried using P50,000++ cables BUT does not match my system and those generics even sound better...
Very very correct sir jen hehehehehe

Offline stevesonk

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • apo ng magniniyog kaya siponin,ang tatay utotin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4457
« Reply #213 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 02:34 AM »
expensive audio cables do really works.. the question for individual listeners were.., is it audible..? can they hear the difference..? or if they hear a big/slight difference, is it worth it..? are you satisfied with it..?
Omega 2
Krell KAV 300i
Marantz CD6004
REGA DAC
HP DV3
Transparent cables
Tara Labs
PSB M4U 2

Offline neilc

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #214 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 06:23 AM »
expensive audio cables do really works.. the question for individual listeners were.., is it audible..? can they hear the difference..? or if they hear a big/slight difference, is it worth it..? are you satisfied with it..?

How will you know if it works if you can’t hear the difference?

I have tried expensive cables (10k range) vs decent cables and there’s no audible difference. These are speaker cables.

For connectors, it’s different for me. There’s a difference of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Apple enthusiast. PlayStation Addict

Offline stevesonk

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • apo ng magniniyog kaya siponin,ang tatay utotin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4457
« Reply #215 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 06:47 AM »
How will you know if it works if you can’t hear the difference?

I have tried expensive cables (10k range) vs decent cables and there’s no audible difference. These are speaker cables.

For connectors, it’s different for me. There’s a difference of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
simply by playing a song several times at an acoustically treated room.., you can hear a difference, but by playing a song one time, at blind test, im one of them failed to hear the difference of a mid range speaker cable vs high end cables..  :'(
Omega 2
Krell KAV 300i
Marantz CD6004
REGA DAC
HP DV3
Transparent cables
Tara Labs
PSB M4U 2

Online Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 688
« Reply #216 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 02:48 PM »
Sa akin, basta up to standard yung pagkagawa at walang flaws or defects ng audio cable at speaker wires, ayos na. Kung mukhang matibay at maganda yung design, willing to pay more.

Sa USB cable lang ako nakarinig ng difference pag USB-powered yung DAC. Pinag-isa kasi yung power line at data line sa cable. Sa low quality printer USB cable, dinig ko yung harshness. Parang may interference. Bumili ako nung WireWorld USB cable. Mahal pero flat cable siya kasi parang hiniwalay yung data sa power line. Nawala yung harshness.

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #217 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 03:45 PM »
IMO, there's no point in discussing this. It's like religion, either you believe it or you don't, either you hear it or you don't. Science/measurements based sites like audiosciencereview and audioholics say their machines don't detect any difference in response curves and IMD, and they can't hear any difference as well (though there are some instances where expensive battery powered AQ cables have more distortion). Some people swear by it despite any lack of evidence apart from their subjectivity. Personally, I've tried kimber, chord, qed, zu, van damme, mogami, monoprice, diy pure silver, diy silver plated, and all of these whether speaker wire, digital coax, interconnect or power cable did not make any difference in my room with all the gears i've tried it.  If it makes your gears sound better, then good for you.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #218 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 06:08 PM »
simply by playing a song several times at an acoustically treated room.., you can hear a difference, but by playing a song one time, at blind test, im one of them failed to hear the difference of a mid range speaker cable vs high end cables..  :'(

IMO, there's no point in discussing this. It's like religion, either you believe it or you don't, either you hear it or you don't. Science/measurements based sites like audiosciencereview and audioholics say their machines don't detect any difference in response curves and IMD, and they can't hear any difference as well (though there are some instances where expensive battery powered AQ cables have more distortion). Some people swear by it despite any lack of evidence apart from their subjectivity. Personally, I've tried kimber, chord, qed, zu, van damme, mogami, monoprice, diy pure silver, diy silver plated, and all of these whether speaker wire, digital coax, interconnect or power cable did not make any difference in my room with all the gears i've tried it.  If it makes your gears sound better, then good for you.

Case to case basis talaga. Minsan kaya hindi mo madinig kasi your system is not transparent enough to make the difference audible. Sometimes it's the pre-amp and power amp, minsan sobrang colored ng sound to a point where maski palitan mo ng source or DAC walang difference... It's a system talaga...

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7152
« Reply #219 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 06:26 PM »

Case to case basis talaga. Minsan kaya hindi mo madinig kasi your system is not transparent enough to make the difference audible. Sometimes it's the pre-amp and power amp, minsan sobrang colored ng sound to a point where maski palitan mo ng source or DAC walang difference... It's a system talaga...

so it is not the cable, itself, pricey or not pricey...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 06:28 PM »

dati very heated ang mga debates about cables......ngayon ChiFi na ang uso......
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 06:53 PM »
so it is not the cable, itself, pricey or not pricey...

There is not a concrete answer to your question. Like I said, it's a case to case basis. Wait i'll highlight my answers so you'd understand my replies better.

In short, it's NOT JUST THE CABLES. You should also consider the system. It may be the cable, but it also may not be.

Siguro for me ang magandang question for those who have heard the difference is:

Is the price that you paid for the cables worth the audible difference in sound?

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #222 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 07:24 PM »
Cables can either MAKE or BREAK a really good system. Do not take them for granted.

If a system isnt good enough to start with, do not bother.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2021 at 07:25 PM by accastil »
im allan - 09178087173

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 07:39 PM »
Like I said, it's like religion. Science will point to facts and measurements. Believers will resort to faith and special cases.

Let's put this in perspective.

Cables can either MAKE or BREAK a really good system. Do not take them for granted.
If a system isnt good enough to start with, do not bother.

What is a good enough system for cables to start to matter? and what starter cables would you recommend to them?

Transparency - probably not, those peeps in ASR have the most transparent systems using the cleanest/highest SINAD systems with DACs like AK4499s/ESS9018s and Hypex/Purifi systems and they cannot hear the difference.

Which systems have you encountered which cables mattered?

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #224 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 07:45 PM »
I just change my cables running thru from the Receiver & Power-Amp last week on whatever I could find in my cabinet. Coz the braided RCAs were giving the speakers some buzzing sounds when it was sticking side by side w/ the amp's power cable. I remember the braided cables were expensive & the black (Mogami) was more on the cheaper side, all are using Switchcraft plugs. Now even the Mogamis are hitting the powercords it's super quiet. As for SQ, I can't tell  ;D

The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 854
« Reply #225 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 07:56 PM »
popcorn mode na lang ako dito. Nice to read different points of view
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Online Own7

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 840
« Reply #226 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 09:38 PM »
When i started this hobby a couple of decades ago, i am on of those that dont
Believe in this “cable upgrade” arguement. Now that my system is so revealing
Of everything, i resort to cables to either improve or alter the sound or gives
Me the colouration that i want.

if your system is not revealing enough, you might not hear any improvement.

Para nyo namang sinabing sira ulo namin to spend mega bucks sa cables if we cant
Hear any significant improvements.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2021 at 09:45 PM by Own7 »
raidho td 2.2
dali epicon 2
vitus sia 025
chord dave
chord m scaler
aurender s10
transparent cables

Online Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #227 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 09:59 PM »
If you are happy with your purchase and you can supposedly hear the difference then good for you. I have a lot of friends who are buying the most expensive cables they can afford and I don't really tell them whether it's worth it or not. 

Do I think that the price difference with cables is audible?

I am of the opinion that it doesn't make a difference because I have not seen a peer-reviewed study (with all the boring charts and data, of course) that actually proves there is a difference. 

It's all about the data for me. 

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #228 on: Apr 17, 2021 at 10:33 PM »
May nag regalo sa akin ng speaker cable dati na Kimber 8TC sa pag kaintindi ko ay mapakamahal nya nung panahon na iyon mga 10 years ago ata. Syempre tuwang tuwa ako kase mamahalin eh. Mula sa oridnaryong cable to Kimber 8TC mas luminaw at gumanda at nadidnig ko. After a few months nag pagawa ako kay Cal ng speaker cable at sinubukan ko ikumpara ang tunog gamit ang Kimber at yung gawa ni Cal, wala na akong marining na pagkakaiba.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 589
« Reply #229 on: Apr 18, 2021 at 12:41 AM »
when asked with this questionpreviously, I would always say that there's no difference on the audio quality whether it is expensive material or not ... this is based on my experience being in this hobby for more than 30 years ... I used to have a Japanese manager who only uses 14 gauge power cables for his expensive system and it still sounds great ... but on a hindsight, although I've been on this hobby for so long, I haven't really used those very high end systems - my most expensive speaker would cost around 50k a pair, and my most expensive amp (with add on components - equalizer, reverb amp, etc.) would probably cost just about 80k ... I've tried the cheapest speaker wires and interconnects as well as those that are relatively more expensive Monster cables without finding any difference in SQ - the more expensive cables though last longer (connectors do not corrode, etc.) ... maybe the difference can only be observed with those high-end systems which I haven't owned ... my conclusion is that for entry-level to mid-range systems, there's no observable difference ... maybe for the high-end systems there is an observable difference

Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Apr 18, 2021 at 04:26 AM »
I already have made peace with myself regarding cables. Hehe!

First, different materials have different conductivity, Inductance, resistance etc., hence the difference.

Second, cables cannot add anything to a system to make it sound good or bad. For me it's a passive material. Just because a system sounded good, it means that everything in that system is good. It's the synergy of the system (everything in it) including sound interaction with the room.

Third, it doesn't matter (for me) if a cable is cheap or not as long as it fits my preference and sounded good in my system.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #231 on: Apr 18, 2021 at 05:27 AM »
Phelps Dodge nalang tayo mura pa, ang tibay pa  ;D
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Online Own7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Apr 18, 2021 at 05:34 AM »
If you buy expensive watches, is it worth it ba?

If you buy expensive cars is it worth it ba?

If you buy expensive toys like bicycles, scooters, motorycles, headphones etc.
It worth it ba?

Of course they are all worth it. If you go about the satisfaction vs value
Proposition. assuming you’re satisfied, if not, then thats when the arguement
Begins.

Others will tell you na “snake oil” yan. But the problem is wala pa ako nakikitang
Local manufacturers na kayang gumawa ng speaker cables/ interconnect na
Ka level ng transparent reference or nordost. Buti pa speakers me nakakagawa
Ng local.
raidho td 2.2
dali epicon 2
vitus sia 025
chord dave
chord m scaler
aurender s10
transparent cables

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Apr 18, 2021 at 12:17 PM »
the thing with cables and interconnects is that the plastics used an harden overtime, the pins o the rca plugs can tarnish and so make poor connectios, that is why i recomend rca plugs with pins that are slotted at the end so you can fit is closely to the rca jack and this alone can make a huge difference....

ditto with banana plugs, the leaves can come loose fitting with the binding posts, i almost replaced output traffos because of loose fitting banana plugs...

of course getting good cables regardless if it cost big or not makes sense.

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Apr 18, 2021 at 12:18 PM »
I already have made peace with myself regarding cables. Hehe!

First, different materials have different conductivity, Inductance, resistance etc., hence the difference.

Second, cables cannot add anything to a system to make it sound good or bad. For me it's a passive material. Just because a system sounded good, it means that everything in that system is good. It's the synergy of the system (everything in it) including sound interaction with the room.

Third, it doesn't matter (for me) if a cable is cheap or not as long as it fits my preference and sounded good in my system.

agreed on all points...

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #235 on: Apr 19, 2021 at 04:55 AM »
Quality does not need to be expensive. It's just that people who are so deep into the hobby, well any hobby, usually want to separate themselves from the average consumer.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #236 on: Apr 19, 2021 at 06:21 AM »
just choose your own poison.

it doesnt sound better. it  just sounds different

Online Own7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Apr 19, 2021 at 07:22 AM »
I hope members here are expressing their opinions on actual listening experience
With their own equipment. If not?...then he/her opinion should be taken with a
Grain of salt.

I have done it, i was a non believer, but now, i cant see myself not including
Or giving importance to the power of good /expensive cables.
raidho td 2.2
dali epicon 2
vitus sia 025
chord dave
chord m scaler
aurender s10
transparent cables

Offline jh@meeh

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #238 on: Apr 19, 2021 at 07:36 AM »
Meron akong local brand at imported cables din at base sa experience ko, meron talagang pagkakaiba ang mga SQ, depende na rin kung how transparent ang system mo. Merong improvement but the price performance ratio is not scaled to proportion. But who cares if you are happy? Isnt that the meaning of true audio nirvana, to find the smallest bits for SQ improvement? At the end of the day, ikaw pa rin ang makikinig, people cannot judge your hearing! Cable is only part of the setup, if you really want a good SQ, look somewhere else, i.e. speakers.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2021 at 07:38 AM by jh@meeh »
LG OLED
Kef Reference
Denon Receiver
Power Sound Audio
JL Fathoms

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: Apr 19, 2021 at 10:58 AM »
I hope members here are expressing their opinions on actual listening experience
With their own equipment. If not?...then he/her opinion should be taken with a
Grain of salt.

I have done it, i was a non believer, but now, i cant see myself not including
Or giving importance to the power of good /expensive cables.

For me it was the other wary around, I've spent more than 100k in different cables, and I could swear they were all different. Then a friend challenged me to a blind test. We used his system, and I failed. I couldn't consistently tell the difference between my Kimber 8TC and a monoprice 12AWG. For interconnects, it was the same thing, I had pure silver DIY inteconnects and wasn't any different from monoprice RCAs. For power cables, we used Zu Audio Event vs generic. The system used was CXN -> Chord Hugo 2 -> Hegel H190 -> KEF Ref 1. It is a treated room that was done by Nelson. I did another A-B comparison with my system and even if it wasn't blind anymore, I couldn't tell anymore... like I woke up from the Matrix and couldn't get back LOL.

I don't regret spending that much as I do consider it part of the hobby and I do think I it is an itch that you need to scratch. I've tried and I've made my peace with it. But I would recommend to those who want to try, is to buy the best speakers you can, have your room treated by Nelson, then the best amp you can, then DAC. then springs/couplers/decouplers, then when you have your perfect system, spend what you have left with cables. and hope your system will reveal the sound of cables.