Author Topic: BBC's Planet Earth DVD Boxed Set: Now Available  (Read 25275 times)

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BBC's Planet Earth DVD Boxed Set: Now Available
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008 at 01:20 PM »
Whoah. It went down to P750?
d**n, I missed it.

hahahaha. Yup, P750 for the boxset. It's ok, there'll be other Astro sale pa naman.  ;D ;D ;D
Irresistable na yung 50-off nila during the last sale, kaya I grabbed it .... baka makuha ng iba e. hehehe.   

50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2008 at 02:07 PM »
I think the BBC one (R1, R3 available) is Attenborough while the Discovery version (R1 only) is Weaver.

good thing i read this, i thought i made a mistake. David Attenborough and Kenneth Branaugh (Walking with Dinosaurs)  are the best narrators employed the BBC.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008 at 02:32 PM »
good thing i read this, i thought i made a mistake. David Attenborough and Kenneth Branaugh (Walking with Dinosaurs)  are the best narrators employed the BBC.

Attenborough is a naturalist. He didn't only narrated a lot of BBC's series, he was also part of the of the whole development process of the show.

In fact his he even wrote books on the subject (Living Planet and LIfe on Earth).

His other series even have bloopers on them like when they can't perfect a shot because the animal subject kept on moving. I don't know if this series have that.

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM »
 ;D I love this series...Episode 5 pa lang ako coz of the busy sched but truly worth watching over and over. I also like the Diaries part of the episodes. Really insightful and admirable of those involved in the production. Just to take shots of a herd of rare yet elusive wild camels it took them more than a month to shoot. 

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008 at 12:10 AM »
His other series even have bloopers on them like when they can't perfect a shot because the animal subject kept on moving. I don't know if this series have that.
Not exactly bloopers, but as Blitzkrieg mentioned it include a 'Diaries' part,these are usually ten minutes or less and deals with the hazards of filming the perfect situation/shoot.  These diaries together with the extra episode are DVD exclusive - wala sa high-def.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline jrcrunch

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008 at 02:30 AM »
hows does the blu-ray compare to this? layo ba?

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008 at 11:01 AM »
hows does the blu-ray compare to this? layo ba?
From DVD Talk review of the DVD release:

"Presented in its original 1.78:1 aspect ratio, Planet Earth has been enhanced for widescreen displays. The color palette is bold and black levels are solid, but the overall image quality is quite lacking in certain respects. Digital combing is easily spotted during many fast-paced sequences , while pixellation, compression artifacts and edge enhancement are most noticeable during crowded compositions. Planet Earth obviously involved a great deal of time and effort to assemble, which makes these digital blemishes all the more frustrating. One can only assume that the HD-DVD and Blu-ray releases are substantially crisper and more detailed, because what's here almost ruins the entire production. In an otherwise well-rounded release, this remains the largest disappointment by far.

It's not often that nature documentaries obtain widespread public attention, but Planet Earth astounds audiences with spectacular sights and an amazing atmosphere. This 11-part series dissects areas of our planet seldom seen in such detail, highlighting countless new species and their curious behavioral patterns...but it's not just educational, it's supremely entertaining. BBC's DVD package, while sadly lacking in the visual department, delivers an exceptional audio presentation and an assortment of valuable extras. Though it's not polished enough to earn a higher rating, Planet Earth should still be considered a worthwhile purchase that the whole family will enjoy. Videophiles should certainly opt for the high-def versions, but most everyone else should still consider this release  Recommended. The material's simply too good to ignore."

From DVDTalk Bluray review:

"These discs were mastered in 1080p and the image looks simply amazing.  If you want to show some guests just why you spent all of that money on a Blu-ray player and HD display, just throw this puppy in and watch their eyes pop out.  The level of detail is excellent, with individual drops of water being easy to discern when a whale exhales from its blow-hole.  The colors are also stunning; they are bright, solid, and just pop off the screen.  From the radiance of an endless field of wild flowers to the bright feathers of the Bird of Paradise, this set really brings forth all of the hues in glorious brilliance.  Likewise the undersea shots and low light images (such as winter in the Antarctic) are clear and detailed with a wide range of gray tones.

The only problem I could find was a very slight amount of posterization in some of the low light sequences, but this was very minor and I doubt that many people would even notice it if they weren't specifically looking for it.  It's almost not worth mentioning.  Other digital defects, mosquito noise, aliasing, and macro blocking are not a concern what so ever.  This is an excellent looking set that is sure to please the most discriminating viewers. "

Reviews from DVDTalk.com
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008 at 11:02 AM by techdude »

Offline jrcrunch

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008 at 01:53 PM »
 thanks for the info! will get the bluray! hehehe...

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008 at 08:26 AM »
We are still in Disc 1 and my kids are asking why the visible pixellations especially in dark shots. I got the R3 version and m projecting this in a PJ. To control the pixellations, i just adjust the size and it helps a bit.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline JAQY888

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008 at 09:22 AM »
We are still in Disc 1 and my kids are asking why the visible pixellations especially in dark shots. I got the R3 version and m projecting this in a PJ. To control the pixellations, i just adjust the size and it helps a bit.

Same here. Got the R3 version also.
Noticeable pixellations on the PJ too, so had to adjust the screen size to "compensate". But I have to admit, PLANET EARTH is one h**l of a show !!!!! Simply stunning  :D :D :D
Enjoying it best with Attenborough as the narrator. Had been enjoying listening to  him in his numerous "nature/wildlife shows" since the 80's.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008 at 09:54 AM by JAQY888 »
50pv70;AX200E
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline jiggs84

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2008 at 01:30 PM »

hmmmm... thanks for the inputs/reviews.

its still on sale anyway at P750.

im thinking... and thinking...
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline Speedracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2008 at 10:55 PM »
From what I gather, a must-own for dvd fanatics :)

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2008 at 12:48 PM »
hmmmm... thanks for the inputs/reviews.

its still on sale anyway at P750.

im thinking... and thinking...

Where did you see this on sale?

Offline Reymer

• Trade Count: (+144)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2008 at 08:45 PM »
thanks for the info! will get the bluray! hehehe...

YES. Get the bluray. Worth collecting  ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008 at 08:47 PM by Reymer »

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2008 at 11:20 PM »

Astro Robinson's Galleria until tomorrow only I think

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2008 at 03:46 PM »

ON sale again bro...
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline Jun_P

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2008 at 04:33 PM »
where??  :o

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2008 at 12:19 PM »
Bought the set at Astro SM Pampanga. The price tagged on the box was P1500.00. I mistakenly remembered that I saw in this thread that the price was only P1200 so I told them that the boxset was only sold for P1200 at other Astro branches (particularly Metro Manila branches). I said I'll only buy the boxset if it were the same price (P1200) as with other branches and they agreed and changed the price to P1200.00.

Now after browsing through this thread again, I felt guilty when I saw that the price for this boxset is indeed P1500. I'm afraid that the P300 might be charged to the cashier/supervisor. But I'm also thinking how can they just change the price of an item without verifying from their head office or other branches? Are they actually allowed to do that?

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2008 at 01:08 PM »
on sale the item is just 750, so tubo pa sila ng 450 (compared to sales).  You can return to the shop a few times and try to feel the 'vibe' pag hindi ka na pinapansin, then the supervisor did shell out the difference.  But the most they will probably get is a reprimand and warning not to do it again, after all, as stated, I doubt they lose money over it...

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2008 at 04:41 PM »
there'll be a sale again at astrovision - festival mall this coming weekend. it was sighted last saturday and sunday at 750pesos.

Offline JAQY888

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jun 13, 2008 at 09:08 AM »
Dropped by M1 Greenbelt yesterday and this boxed set on sale (again) at P750  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2008 at 02:15 PM by JAQY888 »
50pv70;AX200E
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jun 16, 2008 at 01:06 PM »
Dropped by M1 Greenbelt yesterday and this boxed set on sale (again) at P750  ;)

still have time to get this one for those who's looking for it.
got mine from the Astro Festival sale some weeks ago, but they got no more stocks rightnow.
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 16, 2008 at 01:41 PM »
Bought mine last friday... all i can say is, it's a must-have dvd collections, you'll love mother earth for sure :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 09:42 AM »

anyone here who owns both the DVD and Blu-ray? comments/reviews, pls.

is there a big difference in the picture quality when viewed? side by side perhaps...
is it worth getting the blu-ray copy, given the chance.

how about the sound quality?
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline Papaber

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #54 on: Jul 14, 2008 at 12:32 PM »
Got a copy from Astro Podium for only P750. Great bargain. Fantastic DVD.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 14, 2008 at 02:08 PM »
Finally, i've finished watching the last disc of Planet Earth last sunday. All i can say is, it's a must have dvd, great features, you will love mother Earth for sure :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #56 on: Jul 14, 2008 at 08:35 PM »
darn. i knew i should have picked this up (@P750) when i was at astroplus last weekend. won't have time to go back to podium. maybe during the next sale.

Offline jonster

• Collector
  • Bring me to life.
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 10:20 AM »
I was disappointed with the picture quality.. its grainy and pixellations are noticeable... also the sound is parang bitin.. I have to adjust the volume level to appreciate.. :(
Ewan ko kasi parang nanibago ako when a friend lend me his BBC's Earth (Narrated by Patrick Stewart), mas maganda ang SQ and PQ, considering its only a P*dvd copied from bluray daw. ??? 
Advice lang sa mga nagtatanong if bluray or dvd and bibilhin, mag blu-ray version na lang kayo...
I'm my own worst enemy

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #58 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 02:04 PM »
I was disappointed with the picture quality.. its grainy and pixellations are noticeable... also the sound is parang bitin.. I have to adjust the volume level to appreciate.. :(
Ewan ko kasi parang nanibago ako when a friend lend me his BBC's Earth (Narrated by Patrick Stewart), mas maganda ang SQ and PQ, considering its only a P*dvd copied from bluray daw. ??? 
Advice lang sa mga nagtatanong if bluray or dvd and bibilhin, mag blu-ray version na lang kayo...

It's give and take. The DVD version has features that the Bluray doesn't have. But the Bluray has better picture quality than the DVD.

I have the R3 DVD release and have no problems with the sound quality on my setup. Others may not have the same setups, though.

I'll just quote what Techdude posted above on this page:

From DVD Talk review of the DVD release:

"Presented in its original 1.78:1 aspect ratio, Planet Earth has been enhanced for widescreen displays. The color palette is bold and black levels are solid, but the overall image quality is quite lacking in certain respects. Digital combing is easily spotted during many fast-paced sequences , while pixellation, compression artifacts and edge enhancement are most noticeable during crowded compositions. Planet Earth obviously involved a great deal of time and effort to assemble, which makes these digital blemishes all the more frustrating. One can only assume that the HD-DVD and Blu-ray releases are substantially crisper and more detailed, because what's here almost ruins the entire production. In an otherwise well-rounded release, this remains the largest disappointment by far.

It's not often that nature documentaries obtain widespread public attention, but Planet Earth astounds audiences with spectacular sights and an amazing atmosphere. This 11-part series dissects areas of our planet seldom seen in such detail, highlighting countless new species and their curious behavioral patterns...but it's not just educational, it's supremely entertaining. BBC's DVD package, while sadly lacking in the visual department, delivers an exceptional audio presentation and an assortment of valuable extras. Though it's not polished enough to earn a higher rating, Planet Earth should still be considered a worthwhile purchase that the whole family will enjoy. Videophiles should certainly opt for the high-def versions, but most everyone else should still consider this release  Recommended. The material's simply too good to ignore."

From DVDTalk Bluray review:

"These discs were mastered in 1080p and the image looks simply amazing.  If you want to show some guests just why you spent all of that money on a Blu-ray player and HD display, just throw this puppy in and watch their eyes pop out.  The level of detail is excellent, with individual drops of water being easy to discern when a whale exhales from its blow-hole.  The colors are also stunning; they are bright, solid, and just pop off the screen.  From the radiance of an endless field of wild flowers to the bright feathers of the Bird of Paradise, this set really brings forth all of the hues in glorious brilliance.  Likewise the undersea shots and low light images (such as winter in the Antarctic) are clear and detailed with a wide range of gray tones.

The only problem I could find was a very slight amount of posterization in some of the low light sequences, but this was very minor and I doubt that many people would even notice it if they weren't specifically looking for it.  It's almost not worth mentioning.  Other digital defects, mosquito noise, aliasing, and macro blocking are not a concern what so ever.  This is an excellent looking set that is sure to please the most discriminating viewers. "

Reviews from DVDTalk.com
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2008 at 02:06 PM by Dan »

Offline penguin230

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 02:22 PM »
ive watched the planet earth dvd boxed set bought from thailand, it has the "diaries" per episode. the diaries add an extra chapter per episode (11 in all), another 10-15 mins i think. the diaries explain some of the difficulties that the team went through, which was helpful because throughout the series you would somehow ask how were they able to film the shots. 

great buy, good for the family. :)
the best nature documentary ive seen so far.
ive already watched the dvd and im still keen on having the hd version. :)

- jb