Author Topic: "Handshake" Problem  (Read 1428 times)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
"Handshake" Problem
« on: Mar 13, 2008 at 08:38 AM »
When I connected my 5mter new generic HDMI to my PJ the PJ is just blinking. I may be experiencing the so-called "handshake" problem. I got the same problem before though i was able to resolve it by placing a "tukod" that will hold the HDMI cable firmly on its way to the HDMI slot of my PJ. The "tukod" does not seem to remedy the situation this time with this longer HDMI cable now in placed.

Danrd is recommending a device that ensures a good signal but this costs around 3k.  :-[

I do not experienced this problem with my coaxial a/v connections. Is this really the disadvantage of using  HDMI

So is there another way to solve this other than buying a new cable or that expensive device and pray that somehow this will work this time?

I think a thorough discussion on the matter will help us all. thanks for your inputs  :)

Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Handshake" Problem
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 08:47 AM »

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 09:56 AM »
When I connected my 5mter new generic HDMI to my PJ the PJ is just blinking. I may be experiencing the so-called "handshake" problem. I got the same problem before though i was able to resolve it by placing a "tukod" that will hold the HDMI cable firmly on its way to the HDMI slot of my PJ. The "tukod" does not seem to remedy the situation this time with this longer HDMI cable now in placed.

Danrd is recommending a device that ensures a good signal but this costs around 3k.  :-[

I do not experienced this problem with my coaxial a/v connections. Is this really the disadvantage of using  HDMI

So is there another way to solve this other than buying a new cable or that expensive device and pray that somehow this will work this time?

I think a thorough discussion on the matter will help us all. thanks for your inputs  :)

HDMI is a pretty sensitive cable. I had a similar problem before and after a lot of experimenting, it turned out that I had a bad cable, even if it was an expensive and branded cable. Have you tried the connection using another cable? Kahit ilapit mo lang muna ang source (or receiver) sa pj. Just to isolate the problem.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 11:14 AM »
HDMI is a pretty sensitive cable. I had a similar problem before and after a lot of experimenting, it turned out that I had a bad cable, even if it was an expensive and branded cable. Have you tried the connection using another cable? Kahit ilapit mo lang muna ang source (or receiver) sa pj. Just to isolate the problem.

Bro my pio 600 used to sit on the deck just below my pj. Ive been using that PS3 HDMI bought from Toy Kingdom and had no problem with it since i placed that DIY Cable "tukod". I just transferred the pio on a shelf beside my front screen, so i can use only one cable once my Sony Bluray S300 arrives this April.  Maybe i will have to return the pio again back to its usual place and use the PS3 cable to check too whether the real culprit is the new 5 meter HDMI cable.

The Sony S300 comes i think with a meter long HDMI cable. So if the problem is my new 5m cable, then maybe i will just add another layer or deck in my PJ ceiling shelf so that all of them, the pio, sony and pj will be very close together. Another option though is just to buy the 25ft cable from sir Munski.  ;)

Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 12:12 PM »
Kailangan talaga ma-isolate muna problema kaya dapat i-check kung ang cable nga ang defective. Matrabaho lang to check it out but its worth it. In my case, I never thought that the problem could be the cable. Yumpala, kahit mahal at branded na cable, pwedeng may problem pa rin.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 08:56 AM »
Both of my HDMI cables cannot transmit the signal to the PJ. My pio 600s' HDMI indicator is lighted so i think this is not the problem. It seems that i need to have another HDMI cable to confirm if the problem is the cable or the HDMI slot of the PJ.. magastos  :'(

Btw, is there somebody here using a cable amplifier? tnx

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 09:25 AM »
Both of my HDMI cables cannot transmit the signal to the PJ. My pio 600s' HDMI indicator is lighted so i think this is not the problem. It seems that i need to have another HDMI cable to confirm if the problem is the cable or the HDMI slot of the PJ.. magastos  :'(

Btw, is there somebody here using a cable amplifier? tnx

You can buy a cheap CD-R King HDMI cable, just to make sure. P200 lang naman.

Or you can bring your HDMI cable to your favorite AV shop and have them test it.

I think its still worth it to do this just so you isolate the problem.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 10:53 AM »
You can buy a cheap CD-R King HDMI cable, just to make sure. P200 lang naman.

Or you can bring your HDMI cable to your favorite AV shop and have them test it.

I think its still worth it to do this just so you isolate the problem.

I think this is a better idea.  ;D thanks bro

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 07:56 AM »
i reversed the cable and my HDMI cable worked again... m just wondering my cable may have a signal direction  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 03:45 PM »
That's incredible.  ;D

But it sounds more like a loose connection. Faulty cable lang siguro.

Offline glacierfrost

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM »
Maybe it is a loose connection. I used to have problems with my 5meter hdmi cable, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't work I need to jiggle the head a bit until I find the "sweet spot". After a while the hdmi head just broke off, I guess it was loose all along.

Offline edalbau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2010 at 05:22 PM »
I recently had this problem..

turning the TV on first, then the AVR then the PS3 seems to work for me without changing any cables...

still waiting for any other problems to arise though...