Author Topic: Unlocking HD DVD Players  (Read 3893 times)

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Unlocking HD DVD Players
« on: Mar 19, 2008 at 03:59 PM »
Does anybody have any idea how to unlock a Toshiba HD-A2 to make it region-free when playing SDVDs??

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Unlocking HD DVD Players
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2008 at 08:22 PM »
Does anybody have any idea how to unlock a Toshiba HD-A2 to make it region-free when playing SDVDs??

It cannot be unlocked..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 09:32 AM »
I posted this in one of the threads before when I was also looking for a hack to make the A2 region free.
and I found this. However, I never tried it because it sounds extremely tricky to do  :)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=981941

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 10:16 AM »
The thought of making our players brick is simply too scary to give it a try.  :-\

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 12:07 PM »
paul,

That sums it all up! Besides after comparing the DVD performance of the A2, A3 and A30 vs. an entry level non upscaling sony player, the latter was a clear winner! These were my observations but can vary depending on the equipment and software used. ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2008 at 01:45 PM by ESi »
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 01:47 PM »
If you look for minguy on page 3 of the avforum, he was able to successfully hack the a2 to be region free

Offline athos45

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 01:23 PM »
paul,

That sums it all up! Besides after comparing the DVD performance of the A2, A3 and A30 vs. an entry level non upscaling sony player, the latter was a clear winner! Thise are my observations but can vary depending on the equipment and software used. ;)

really?  :( so the 1080i or 1080p is no use pala kung mas maganda ang 480i/p na regular dvd player na Sony? May i ask how big is the TV you tested it in?

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 01:59 PM »
sir athos45,

I all due respect to the TOSHIBA HD-DVD players ive mentioned ( I personally own an A3) I found out that it consistently failed in several tests from the HQV disc. Of particular mention is the BLACKER THAN BLACK and the MOTION ADAPTIVE TEST. It may also be possible that the film mode of my SAMSUNG DLP with Faroudja chip is enabled wit the use of the sony and is bypassed with the TOSHIBA once upscaling is done by the said player. The TOSHIBA HD-XA2 has a built in Silicon Optix Reon HQV chip which probably makes it perform a lot better than the others. I have yet to see one in action. Hope this helps bro. :)
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline athos45

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2008 at 12:58 AM »
so whats the model of the Non Upscaling Sony model para ma check ko rin, it probably is cheap since it doesnt upscale yet.

Offline tetablanco

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 12:47 AM »
More than anything else, I think the superb PQ you get from using the Sony player instead of A2 upscaling comes from the outstanding internal upscaler of your TV.

For my 42PV70, I use a basic LG DVD player (hacked to region-free) that I bought at S&R for P1900+ when watching SDVDs and PDVDs.  The Panny's internal Vreal2 upscaler does a great job of upscaling the LG's 480p output to 720p / 1080i.  I exclusively use my A2 for watching HD-DVD videos (and not for upscaling) on the same TV.

Offline athos45

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 12:54 AM »
More than anything else, I think the superb PQ you get from using the Sony player instead of A2 upscaling comes from the outstanding internal upscaler of your TV.

For my 42PV70, I use a basic LG DVD player (hacked to region-free) that I bought at S&R for P1900+ when watching SDVDs and PDVDs.  The Panny's internal Vreal2 upscaler does a great job of upscaling the LG's 480p output to 720p / 1080i.  I exclusively use my A2 for watching HD-DVD videos (and not for upscaling) on the same TV.
i have the same TV and when i use my samsung HtiB it displays only 480p according to the info on the TV. Anything i'm doing wrong?

Anyway, back to topic, I'm hoping the local Toshiba guys @ department stores can help us unlock the region lock, I renmember w the Samsung I have now, na unlock ko lang sya over the phone w a technician from Ansons. :) But that was to be able to play R1 dvds naman.

Offline tetablanco

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 02:22 AM »
i have the same TV and when i use my samsung HtiB it displays only 480p according to the info on the TV. Anything i'm doing wrong?

Anyway, back to topic, I'm hoping the local Toshiba guys @ department stores can help us unlock the region lock, I renmember w the Samsung I have now, na unlock ko lang sya over the phone w a technician from Ansons. :) But that was to be able to play R1 dvds naman.

Even if the inputed signal is 480p via component ports, the Vreal2 internal upscaler automatically upscales the signal to 720p/1080i.  If the Vreal2 upscaler detects that the inputed signal has been upscaled already, the Vreal2 circuitry is bypassed.  I noticed that the Vreal2-upscaled PQ from my basic P1900+ LG DVD player was better than the externally-upscaled input signal I got from my Toshiba A2 HDMI HD-DVD player. 

Offline athos45

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 01:47 AM »
Even if the inputed signal is 480p via component ports, the Vreal2 internal upscaler automatically upscales the signal to 720p/1080i.  If the Vreal2 upscaler detects that the inputed signal has been upscaled already, the Vreal2 circuitry is bypassed.  I noticed that the Vreal2-upscaled PQ from my basic P1900+ LG DVD player was better than the externally-upscaled input signal I got from my Toshiba A2 HDMI HD-DVD player. 

great.  i'll just turn off the upscale feature sa old samsung dvd ko and see what happens.. thanks

Offline JAQY888

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 06:06 PM »

You might want to check out juancho's thread. He was able to successfully unlock his A2.
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 06:13 PM »
You might want to check out juancho's thread. He was able to successfully unlock his A2.

He is selling one of his region-free A2s for 10k..  bilibili na kau..  ;D ;D ;D
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 09:57 PM »
He is selling one of his region-free A2s for 10k..  bilibili na kau..  ;D ;D ;D

hehe  ;D

bili na! making the unit Region Free added tremendous value to the player.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 10:07 PM »
Does the unlocking code apply to the A30?

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 10:19 PM »
Does the unlocking code apply to the A30?

No bro, I'm afraid it's only applicable to the A2

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #18 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 07:14 AM »
No bro, I'm afraid it's only applicable to the A2

Schucks!