Author Topic: Weng's World 7.2  (Read 89841 times)

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Weng's World (all SVS on page 1)
« Reply #240 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 12:10 PM »
yes, i replaced the LCR from SCS-01 to SCS-02. but not so sure if both series have different sensitivity.

the sub does not sound like it's going to get toasted. my concern is the sub may be way, way hotter than the rest of the speakers. tried FOTP and haunting a few times with the new settings but did not hear any distortion on the driver. but in effect my room is distorted, rattling ceiling and door ;D

sa center lang ang may pinagkaiba sir.  remember your "01s" are actually 02's sans the grill.
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #241 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 01:50 PM »
I think this is pretty normal. The Ultra goes really deep so it will shake stuff that you didn't hear shaking before. The solution to that is to start looking for those individual rattling points and fix them one by one. It's not an easy nor a pleasant task.

will look into that soon. but is it safe to use a fixed tone to run for a long time?

will there be any benefit in raising the speaker attenuations after calibration compared to just leave them "as is" and raise the master volume instead?

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 01:50 PM »
sa center lang ang may pinagkaiba sir.  remember your "01s" are actually 02's sans the grill.

thanks

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 01:51 PM »
will look into that soon. but is it safe to use a fixed tone to run for a long time?

nope, not safe, besides the fact each frequency will excite a different thing in your room.

i guess yung SMS-1 sweep will do the same job (at least in terms of 15-200hz)
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #244 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 02:19 PM »
nope, not safe, besides the fact each frequency will excite a different thing in your room.

Yup, good idea.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #245 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 03:04 PM »
puwede din siguro pang test yung Pearl Harbor instead of The Hauting & FOTP  ;) i like the over-all LFE effect of Pearl Harbor vs U-571

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #246 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 06:12 PM »

will there be any benefit in raising the speaker attenuations after calibration compared to just leave them "as is" and raise the master volume instead?

i normally just raise the attenuation, parang di ako sanay na itaas ang master volume compared to my usual listening level but i raise all channel with the same level.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 06:26 PM »

Ok,good that you warned me.

SMS-1 tone does not cause any rattle on the ceiling at 70-80db level.haven't tried bumping up the volume though.

The most irritating sound on the ceiling is caused by a 40-60hz tone. Nag iingay ang metal ceiling joist. But at 30hz and below ang gypsum board na mismo. Kapag di kaya mahigpitan,baka ipabaklas ko at palitan ng wooden joist.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 07:11 PM »
Ok,good that you warned me.

SMS-1 tone does not cause any rattle on the ceiling at 70-80db level.haven't tried bumping up the volume though.

The most irritating sound on the ceiling is caused by a 40-60hz tone. Nag iingay ang metal ceiling joist. But at 30hz and below ang gypsum board na mismo. Kapag di kaya mahigpitan,baka ipabaklas ko at palitan ng wooden joist.

Actually, ang ginawa ko dati is that I kept on playing (repeat function) the part which causes the rattle till mahuli ko saan exactly ang rattle. Dati, ang grabe was the Celine Dion bluray ng Titanic song. Naayos ko ang rattle. Now that I got 2 Ultras, bumalik ang rattle but much stronger than before! Haha! Parang mas malalim pa lalo ang signal cuz of the Ultras.  ;D ;D

Offline obsi

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 07:46 PM »
Naka wooden joist na ako but my ceiling shakes so much nag dedezoom yung pj. Had to mount the pj directly to the cement ceiling. Considering baklas ng ceiling para cemento nalang lahat.
"All Your BASS Are Belong To Us..."

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 10:21 AM »
thanks mark and alfie.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 10:45 AM »
i normally just raise the attenuation, parang di ako sanay na itaas ang master volume compared to my usual listening level but i raise all channel with the same level.

that is also my concern before regarding raising the master volume from the usual. but is it not the same where power is drawn from the same amp no matter you raise it from audyssey or the master volume? naka tago lang ang setting ng audyssey kaya di tayo kabado ;D

isa pang pampagulo ;D

lately with the SCS speaker set, my master volume setting is at -17db to -12db when i'm watching alone. if few friends are around, it can go up to -10db to -5db (i raised this observation before in another thread that more people will dampen the sound). tried to bring the volume up to reference for a few times, no distortion was observed.

here's the question.
- is audyssey reference level the max safe volume you can use?

- if i will upgrade to a high powered receiver (ie. 135wpc, my current receiver is only 100wpc) what benefit will i get if my max listening setting is below reference?

- will the sound quality be better with the 135wpc than the 100wpc receiver below reference? baka ang benefit ko lang is watching the receiver's screen that it is stil -xx db instead of -5db of my current amp ;D

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2011 at 11:30 AM by GneW »

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 10:58 AM »
mukhang nangangamoy upgrade yung query sa taas brader weng ;D ;D

parang swak na swak yung denon 4310 dyan sa query mo na yan hehehehe

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 11:01 AM »
lately with the SCS speaker set, my master volume setting is at -17db to -12db when i'm watching alone. if few friends are around, it can go up to -10db to -5db (i raised this observation before on another thread that more people will dampen the sound). tried to bring the volume up to reference for a few times, no distortion was observed.

here's the question.
- if audyssey reference level the max safe volume you can use?

- if i will upgrade to a high powered receiver (ie. 135wpc, my current receiver is only 100wpc) what benefit will i get if my max listening setting is below reference?

- will the sound quality be better with the 135wpc than the 100wpc receiver below reference? baka ang benefit ko lang is watching the receiver's screen that it is stil -xx db instead of -5db of my current amp ;D

Reference level is not an Audyssey feature. It's the standard level at which movies are mastered and it's very loud. Reference level has no connection with safety. Your speakers or amps can blow at reference level, below it or above it - depends on your system. Hook up a tiny HTIB speaker and try to make it reproduce reference level -- sabog yun.

If the amp is not clipping, if it's not being stressed, then don't worry. You need a bigger amp if you have a huge and well-damped room, speakers with low sensitivity, you listen at very loud levels, etc.

The difference between 100 wpc and 135 wpc is negligible. You won't hear any difference in a blind test. If you spend a lot of money for your new amp and you don't do a blind test, you will swear that there is a huge improvement.  ;D ;D

If you are thinking of an AVR upgrade, there are many other reasons for upgrading. Power is one of the tiniest reasons. Newer AVR's have much better features. By the way, @Gaol is selling his Denon 4310.  ;D ;D

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 11:32 AM »
mukhang nangangamoy upgrade yung query sa taas brader weng ;D ;D

parang swak na swak yung denon 4310 dyan sa query mo na yan hehehehe

;D ;D ;D

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #255 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 11:55 AM »

lately with the SCS speaker set, my master volume setting is at -17db to -12db when i'm watching alone. if few friends are around, it can go up to -10db to -5db (i raised this observation before in another thread that more people will dampen the sound). tried to bring the volume up to reference for a few times, no distortion was observed.

here's the question.
- is audyssey reference level the max safe volume you can use?

Maybe you should check with sir Jao143 what his listening volume is with his Onkyo 608. Though I'm not sure if his speakers are SCS 01 (87db sensitivity) or SCS 02 (84.5db sensitivity).
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 12:01 PM »
Reference level is not an Audyssey feature. It's the standard level at which movies are mastered and it's very loud. Reference level has no connection with safety. Your speakers or amps can blow at reference level, below it or above it - depends on your system. Hook up a tiny HTIB speaker and try to make it reproduce reference level -- sabog yun.

If the amp is not clipping, if it's not being stressed, then don't worry. You need a bigger amp if you have a huge and well-damped room, speakers with low sensitivity, you listen at very loud levels, etc.

The difference between 100 wpc and 135 wpc is negligible. You won't hear any difference in a blind test. If you spend a lot of money for your new amp and you don't do a blind test, you will swear that there is a huge improvement.  ;D ;D

If you are thinking of an AVR upgrade, there are many other reasons for upgrading. Power is one of the tiniest reasons. Newer AVR's have much better features. By the way, @Gaol is selling his Denon 4310.  ;D ;D

near-reference level (-5db volume) of my setup now is screaming loud if there are explosion scenes. but if it's just a dialogue with music background it does not sound like you're in the club ;D with about 4-6 pax in the room, -5db is enough to let everyone hear at decent loudness. i am not nuts about volume, only plays it to a comfortable ear level. with my previous wharfedale set, the highest i tried was only -10db but that was with 7.1 set while the SVS now is only 5.1 set.

i also noticed on my denon 2308 display, sometimes i can see "DTS -4db offset (or something)" flashing screen before a movie starts. is this normal? i could not find in the menu where to adjust it.

it crosses my mind to upgrade to a high powered receiver thinking it can do wonders about not going near reference. if it has negligible effect then i will just hold on to that upgrade. i'm using a media player as source so HD audio for me is not that important as i have only few BD rip files. also, it was proven before with the blind test about lossless and lossy audio that the difference is very minimal if there was any.

oh btw, i wanted the new front high feature of the new receiver ;D ;D ;D

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 12:10 PM »
tama si sir mark re: wattage ... you need at least double the power ata to be able to distinguish an upgrade.

then again, like i computed before, anechoically and 4 meters away, 84db sensitivity

1w = 84db at 1 meter distance
2w = 90db at 1 meter distance
4w = 96db at 1 meter distance
8w = 102db at 1 meter distance
16w = 102db at 2 meter distance
32w = 102db at 4 meter distance

long term exposure to continuous 32watt input = hearing damage :)  sa peaks lang naman natin kailangan yung mga high wattage. so if you need more power for SPL or SQ improvements, it's better to get an external amp with at least 200w.

BUT, ibang usapan na yan kung gusto mo ng front height and wide, si sir mark ang dapat tanungin kung alin ang masmalaki ang dagdag sa effect or if dapat pareho for 11 speaker channels.  :) 
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 12:23 PM »
Maybe you should check with sir Jao143 what his listening volume is with his Onkyo 608. Though I'm not sure if his speakers are SCS 01 (87db sensitivity) or SCS 02 (84.5db sensitivity).

onkyo has different volume setting than denon. the guy who bought my SCS-01 uses an onkyo 508 and he told me his volume is around 45-55 (0 to 80 range). his room is slightly bigger than mine, around 27 sqm (mine is only 25 sqm).

what is reference point in db, is it 75 or 80?

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 12:24 PM »
i also noticed on my denon 2308 display, sometimes i can see "DTS -4db offset (or something)" flashing screen before a movie starts. is this normal? i could not find in the menu where to adjust it.

it crosses my mind to upgrade to a high powered receiver thinking it can do wonders about not going near reference. if it has negligible effect then i will just hold on to that upgrade. i'm using a media player as source so HD audio for me is not that important as i have only few BD rip files. also, it was proven before with the blind test about lossless and lossy audio that the difference is very minimal if there was any.

There are lots of reasons for an AVR upgrade and power is one of the smallest reasons. If you need power, get an external power amp.

Some of the reasons to upgrade the AVR:
- Better room correction (say Audyssey MultEQ XT vs MultEQ only)
- Additional speakers (heights or wides) with Audyssey DSX
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which enhances bass and treble at volumes below reference
- Better GUI (the graphical GUI's of the higher-end Denons are much better and easier to use)
- Better video processing (newer Denons use the Anchor Bay chips which have a better performance than most other AVR's
- Better DACs
- Internet connectivity
- More HDMI inputs

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #260 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 12:33 PM »
onkyo has different volume setting than denon. the guy who bought my SCS-01 uses an onkyo 508 and he told me his volume is around 45-55 (0 to 80 range). his room is slightly bigger than mine, around 27 sqm (mine is only 25 sqm).

hmmm... im not sure but with my onkyo 806, im also using the -db level for my volume, not sure with the 6 series.

for me:

mkv movies, listening volume is from -2.5db to 0db
bluray movies, listening volume is from -10db to 8db

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 12:39 PM »
tama si sir mark re: wattage ... you need at least double the power ata to be able to distinguish an upgrade.

then again, like i computed before, anechoically and 4 meters away, 84db sensitivity

1w = 84db at 1 meter distance
2w = 90db at 1 meter distance
4w = 96db at 1 meter distance
8w = 102db at 1 meter distance
16w = 102db at 2 meter distance
32w = 102db at 4 meter distance

long term exposure to continuous 32watt input = hearing damage :)  sa peaks lang naman natin kailangan yung mga high wattage. so if you need more power for SPL or SQ improvements, it's better to get an external amp with at least 200w.

BUT, ibang usapan na yan kung gusto mo ng front height and wide, si sir mark ang dapat tanungin kung alin ang masmalaki ang dagdag sa effect or if dapat pareho for 11 speaker channels.  :) 

i don't think i need an external amp if playing -5db is safe. wala naman distortion narinig at that level. all i'm worried is the volume is near reference and i don't listen beyond that. most of the time i watch movies alone, so the volume is only -12db max. only few times a month i watch with friends and there's where my worries trying to sink in.

what if i bump the individual speaker volume level uniformly para di na ako mag wo-worry na near reference. is it putting the same stress on the amp? baka tuloy mas risky na masira kasi malakas ang individual setting at kung may magkamali na todohan ang master volume, masira tuloy ang amp.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 12:47 PM »
There are lots of reasons for an AVR upgrade and power is one of the smallest reasons. If you need power, get an external power amp.

Some of the reasons to upgrade the AVR:
- Better room correction (say Audyssey MultEQ XT vs MultEQ only)
- Additional speakers (heights or wides) with Audyssey DSX
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which enhances bass and treble at volumes below reference
- Better GUI (the graphical GUI's of the higher-end Denons are much better and easier to use)
- Better video processing (newer Denons use the Anchor Bay chips which have a better performance than most other AVR's
- Better DACs
- Internet connectivity
- More HDMI inputs

thanks sa above info. aside from front height speaker, i also like feature #1 and #5 but can only be found on the high end models
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2011 at 01:01 PM by GneW »

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 12:50 PM »
hmmm... im not sure but with my onkyo 806, im also using the -db level for my volume, not sure with the 6 series.

for me:

mkv movies, listening volume is from -2.5db to 0db
bluray movies, listening volume is from -10db to 8db

my friend uses 508 and not 608 sir. haven't tinkered an onkyo receiver yet kaya i don't know why his volume was from 0 to 80 range.

are you always playing at -2.5db to 0db when watching mkvs? how big is your room brader? if so, i'm happy to know na may nag 0 db at di na ako kabado sa -5db volume ko.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #264 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 01:17 PM »
my friend uses 508 and not 608 sir. haven't tinkered an onkyo receiver yet kaya i don't know why his volume was from 0 to 80 range.

are you always playing at -2.5db to 0db when watching mkvs? how big is your room brader? if so, i'm happy to know na may nag 0 db at di na ako kabado sa -5db volume ko.

yup. my room is 18 ft x 11ft x 8ft (height) approximately. yes, in my case mkvs audio encode seems to be a bit thin for my taste, and i have to use -2.5 - 0db to get to an acceptable overall sound quality. but for bluraydiscs. there are even movies (red cliff) that at -15db is already good enough for me.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 01:29 PM »
yup. my room is 18 ft x 11ft x 8ft (height) approximately. yes, in my case mkvs audio encode seems to be a bit thin for my taste, and i have to use -2.5 - 0db to get to an acceptable overall sound quality. but for bluraydiscs. there are even movies (red cliff) that at -15db is already good enough for me.

thanks ;)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 02:14 PM »
thanks sa above info. aside from front height speaker, i also like feature #1 and #5 but can only be found on the high end models

Actually, when you don't listen at reference level, lalo na kung mga -12 db ka lang makinig, malaking bagay ang Dynamic EQ.

The GUI is important if you do a lot of tweaking and so you access the menu a lot.

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #267 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 04:18 PM »

Onkyo has two options for volume setting, Relative - which is the THX standard (same as Denon with 0 being reference) and Absolute (0 to 80). I always use the Relative setting.

My volume setting is a max of -41db with Dynamic EQ on and Dynamic Volume set to Light.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2011 at 04:27 PM by Conan »
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 05:10 PM »

0db is equivalent to 82db sir weng

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 05:18 PM »
Actually, when you don't listen at reference level, lalo na kung mga -12 db ka lang makinig, malaking bagay ang Dynamic EQ.The GUI is important if you do a lot of tweaking and so you access the menu a lot.

this is the feature that i like the most, at my listening level of 65db( maximum for my htrc180 is at 99db), i get the best sound quality im looking for. the LFE is just right to compliment the LCRs, i always get this activated everytime i watch, i have never breached the 65 db level anytime

by the way, the results of my calibrations may have been caused by my room size ( around 9 sqm only)versus the Ultra tuning of 10hz. I have consulted sir mike c and will revert to 15 hz tuning and re run audyssey again.