Author Topic: CDP recommendation for my Monitor Audio RS1  (Read 5695 times)

Offline trumanfools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CDP recommendation for my Monitor Audio RS1
« on: Mar 31, 2008 at 11:26 AM »
Hi to all PinoyDVD members and audiophiles :-),

Ngayon lang po ako nag-post sa forum na ito after quite sometime of reading very imformative threads. I find this website helpful for those people seeking for tips and suggestions. Dami talagang mga pinoy na mahihilig sa music (at gayun din mahihilig mag-upgrade (SARS) hehehe.

I hope someone can help me choosing a CD player. My speakers are Monitor Audio RS1, driving it with TA 10.1 t-amp and I am using my mediocre panasonic dvd player as a cd spinner. I am using copper cable for my interconnects and also for speaker cabling. As of now I found the sound of my system with so much detail and with a hint of brightness (treble is emphasized).. I am looking for a CDP that could warm up or reduce a little brightness of my RS1, sometimes I found them harsh on some rock and pop songs but for classical, voice and jazz RS1 is superb. I don't want to make my RS1 lifeless or dull, what I want is enough warm with details, engaging sound, non fatiguing, musical and with life. For bass I have no issue as I have a Tannoy sub which is musical. Right now I am eyeing to NAD C542, C525BEE, Marantz CD6002. Please recommend other brands that would match the sound I am looking for. I will bring my RS1 to some audio shops in my area for testing for those recommended CDPs. I am on tight budget so my choice would be from entry level to mid level hifi CDP.

Salamat po sa advice!

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2008 at 11:27 AM by trumanfools »

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: CDP recommendation for my Monitor Audio RS1
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 11:39 AM »
you're on the right track with NAD, also consider tube cdp like cayin mas mahal nga lang. audioamplified distributes them and other sub-distributors.
you could also consider using tube amp with it. or a NAD amp.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2008 at 11:41 AM by Philjonc »

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 02:00 PM »
I don't think its the CDP that will solve the brightness of the sound of your setup, using a t-amp can drive your speaker but it doesn't give your speakers enough power to bring out it's full potential, try to drive your speakers with a 50wpc or above (better) amplifier first, imo ;)

and if you're in search of a cdp, there are some good vintage cdps out there like the sony es series :)
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2008 at 02:00 PM by reynold »
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 03:13 PM »
Hi to all PinoyDVD members and audiophiles :-),

Ngayon lang po ako nag-post sa forum na ito after quite sometime of reading very imformative threads. I find this website helpful for those people seeking for tips and suggestions. Dami talagang mga pinoy na mahihilig sa music (at gayun din mahihilig mag-upgrade (SARS) hehehe.

I hope someone can help me choosing a CD player. My speakers are Monitor Audio RS1, driving it with TA 10.1 t-amp and I am using my mediocre panasonic dvd player as a cd spinner. I am using copper cable for my interconnects and also for speaker cabling. As of now I found the sound of my system with so much detail and with a hint of brightness (treble is emphasized).. I am looking for a CDP that could warm up or reduce a little brightness of my RS1, sometimes I found them harsh on some rock and pop songs but for classical, voice and jazz RS1 is superb. I don't want to make my RS1 lifeless or dull, what I want is enough warm with details, engaging sound, non fatiguing, musical and with life. For bass I have no issue as I have a Tannoy sub which is musical. Right now I am eyeing to NAD C542, C525BEE, Marantz CD6002. Please recommend other brands that would match the sound I am looking for. I will bring my RS1 to some audio shops in my area for testing for those recommended CDPs. I am on tight budget so my choice would be from entry level to mid level hifi CDP.

Salamat po sa advice!

Thanks in advance.

try changing the input caps of your trends with auricap or mundorf (the boutique type) maybe it will tame the highs. i am using charlize t-amp with a wharfedale evo10 and to me sakto lang ang details and warmth. dunno what i have missed when powered with a 50-watter amp? it can be very loud if crancked up without distortion. it can even play hip hop music with good bass. panalo sa detalye ang t-amp. will try to find a musical sub as my upgrade rather than a new amp and hope i'm on the right path ;D

Offline trumanfools

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 06:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies :-)

Yup t-amp is very nice little amp. It gives detail and soul to your music.. but sometimes (in case of my RS1 it gets harsh). But for classical, jazz, acoustics and voice recordings panalo talaga yun RS1 and t-amp, pero may mga Pop and rock songs na bright for my ears...

For your charlize t-amp how many watts can it give? Is this the evo you have? the evo2 10?
http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/model.php?model_id=129

I am also considering getting another bookshelf speaker for pop and rock songs.. that way I can enjoy both worlds: RS1 for being detailed and warmness of soft dome tweeter :-)

For entry level cdp, alin pa ang marerecommend nyo beside sa NAD?

TIA
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2008 at 06:06 PM by trumanfools »

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 06:24 PM »
From what I've heard from the others - Nad amps/cdps daw ang closest ss gear to tube sounding - so you may try that out. Try also those vintage cdps from the Pier - indeed may following din eto from members of this board. They're typical 100-110V thou -  so you also need a step down transformer.

It took me almost 2 months looking for a cdp - so hope its a lot easier for you. You really have to audition them using your exact gears.....and the best is if you can home audition it talaga based on your listening environment.

Goodluck! ;)   

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 07:24 PM »
One way is to replace the output caps of your "mediocre" DVD player.

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 08:24 PM »
i recently moved from a dvdp to a cdp and it tamed to a good degree the brights of my S6, still detailed but not  harsh even on pop and rock music, deeper bass with a bit more forward vocals.

though i never thought of them as fatiguing before the change, i do like what i hear now than before, as i still prefer to listen to rock/disco music with the dvdp as they are more dynamic sounding on the few occasion that my wife will play her music (im not into pop), try to audition tube cdps and see the difference.
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline trumanfools

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2008 at 03:43 PM »
thanks to all who replied to me...   

cheers!

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2008 at 08:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies :-)

Yup t-amp is very nice little amp. It gives detail and soul to your music.. but sometimes (in case of my RS1 it gets harsh). But for classical, jazz, acoustics and voice recordings panalo talaga yun RS1 and t-amp, pero may mga Pop and rock songs na bright for my ears...

For your charlize t-amp how many watts can it give? Is this the evo you have? the evo2 10?
http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/model.php?model_id=129

I am also considering getting another bookshelf speaker for pop and rock songs.. that way I can enjoy both worlds: RS1 for being detailed and warmness of soft dome tweeter :-)

the trends and charlize are using the same tripath chip, TA2020 if i'm not mistaken. same chip din sa famed 41 hz amp6. i'm using evo10, gen 1. what's the sensitivity of the RS1? the evo10 is 87db. t-amp is best suited daw with higher sensitivity, 90 db and above speakers. my 87db evo10 is already loud (maybe due to the tono pre-amp) with the charlize.

For entry level cdp, alin pa ang marerecommend nyo beside sa NAD?

TIA

Offline trumanfools

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 06:56 PM »
My RS1 has 90 dB sensitivity and it can go loud, I even use it with movies with a sub and I found it enjoyable, just in 2.1 mode.  I never surpassed 12 oclock volume position as it's too loud if I go further than that..

I check the evo2 10 and it has the same 87 dB and same 6ohm like yours.. I am actually thinking of getting a pair of another soft tweeter speaker.. Or probably sell my RS1 and get an all-rounder speaker like dynaudio audience 42, then change my amp to NAD...  Have heard the dynaudio 42 using plinus amp in a dynaudio reseller here in SG and I was amazed how sweet the sound is, from midrange to highs (not harsh but detailed), even the low end is nice as well but not deep. The midrange is liquid and right there in the center..

For dynaudio 42, can the nad 325bee make it sing? Also, is there a lot of difference form old 320bee to 325bee? Any budget amp (less than P25K or less than 600 USD) recommendation for dynaudio 42 ?

This hobby is really giving me excitement and enjoyment   :-)

TIA
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2008 at 07:05 PM by trumanfools »

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 07:44 PM »
are u in singapore? if so, check echoloft forums ang dami ng hi-end pre-owned gears for sale dun.

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 11:30 PM »
are u in singapore? if so, check echoloft forums ang dami ng hi-end pre-owned gears for sale dun.

Are you from singapore?
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline trumanfools

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 10:44 AM »
Are you from singapore?

Yup. Echoloft is where I got my RS1 with a good price as pre-owned item. :-)

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 01:36 PM »
try either nad or exposure cdp.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 06:21 PM »
i think mundorf caps will do more to tame them that a cdp would. though you still need it.

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 07:56 PM »

Pwede mapakinggan ang set-up mo? Pwede akong magdala ng cables para subukan sa system mo.

You could also dropby my place if you want to exchange views or anything na pwede natin asses sa system ko.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 10:57 PM »

is this place sells only pre-owned stuff?
are they the only store who sells pre-owned?
tnx

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 09:34 AM »
hi,
i believe this is another audio-related website and most of the items are "used" except for a very few. a lot of the items for sale here would originate from singapore.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 09:50 AM »
hi,
i believe this is another audio-related website and most of the items are "used" except for a very few. a lot of the items for sale here would originate from singapore.

oh I see, tnx!
btw, i believe your cayin cd15t cdp is perfect for trumanfools.

ps. check my price query in ws. tnx OT ;D

Offline trumanfools

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 11:00 AM »
hi,

yup, echoloft is an audio/ht forum with buy and sell section where people here post their items.. here is the website:
http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/buysell2/YaBB.pl#Forums

Edwin I sent u PM... thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2008 at 11:08 AM by trumanfools »

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 01:58 PM »
Try to audition Cayin CD-50T and upgrade the caps of your speaker to mundorf  ;D ;D
A lot of Pinoy members upgarded the caps of their speaker and they can vouch there is a big difference

Cheers

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 05:43 PM »
Cayin CDT-15A, Cayin CDT-17A, Rega Apollo, Consonance Reference 2.2 or 2.3, Rega Planet, Rotel RCD-991, Thanks and Good luck! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline trumanfools

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 06:33 PM »
I got massive responce.  thanks guys, appreciate your tips.. I will audition those once the budget is settled.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 07:35 PM »
I got a Rotel RCD-961 in PinoyBazaar if you're interested ;D Sorry sa plug at OT :D

Offline trumanfools

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2008 at 10:02 AM »
Sir Macdon pass muna ako.. fix ko muna budget ko para I can audition my setup with more choices  ;D. Thanks

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 09, 2008 at 11:29 AM »
Sir Macdon pass muna ako.. fix ko muna budget ko para I can audition my setup with more choices  ;D. Thanks

No worries sir - I decided to use it anyway ;D

Good luck in your hunt sir and may you find a suitable cdp for your system. Tama po - audition cdps as much as you can. Been doing that myself for the past 2 months  :D ;D

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 12, 2008 at 08:04 AM »
In my opinion, get an amp first. Sana nga you could consider the Audio Analogue Puccini na binanggit ko sa iyo once OK ka na sa budget mo.

Nice meeting you and hope you did enjoy the company
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 12, 2008 at 08:45 AM »
the exposure 2010 cdp posted at another forum is excellent with your MA BS sir. one of the warmest sounding cdps to tame down a bit of sibilance from the rs1.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline trumanfools

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 14, 2008 at 12:02 PM »
In my opinion, get an amp first. Sana nga you could consider the Audio Analogue Puccini na binanggit ko sa iyo once OK ka na sa budget mo.

Nice meeting you and hope you did enjoy the company

Uy sir Edwin... oonga sir, I checked the reviews of that amp.. and also the price.. verygood tube-like sound according to them, also for the price u mentioned.. really good for the budget..  I really enjoyed our listening session last time..hehehehe very nice magnepans   ;D

Sana mapakinggan ko naman sa sunod yun isa mo pa speakers hehehe
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2008 at 12:05 PM by trumanfools »