Author Topic: CDP recommendation for my Monitor Audio RS1  (Read 5696 times)

Offline trumanfools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CDP recommendation for my Monitor Audio RS1
« Reply #30 on: Apr 14, 2008 at 12:07 PM »
the exposure 2010 cdp posted at another forum is excellent with your MA BS sir. one of the warmest sounding cdps to tame down a bit of sibilance from the rs1.

thanks sir, I will consider that.. I see it's also available here.. might try to audition that as well.

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Apr 14, 2008 at 09:26 PM »
Uy sir Edwin... oonga sir, I checked the reviews of that amp.. and also the price.. verygood tube-like sound according to them, also for the price u mentioned.. really good for the budget..  I really enjoyed our listening session last time..hehehehe very nice magnepans   ;D

Sana mapakinggan ko naman sa sunod yun isa mo pa speakers hehehe

Anytime, text mo lang ako at pagtripan naman natin iyong isa kong speakers.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline trumanfools

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: CDP recommendation for my speaker
« Reply #32 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 12:22 PM »
Hi Guys, update ko kayo sa setup ko :) I sold my trends audio t-amp, also sold my Monitor Audio RS1. Then after quite sometime of auditioning with my music and reading reviews I decided to take a plunge and bought this combo:

Marantz cd6002
Marantz pm7001 KI

I auditioned them first with Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 speaker and I liked the combo. The sound of Mezzo is less forward than RS1, still dynamic and detailed but not overly detailed. It has a decent bass for my type of music. But (IMO) I still miss the midrange quality I am looking for. Then I listened to other speakers again with soft dome tweeter. This time I listened the Marantz combo with Heco speaker and I liked it better than Mezzo 2. The voice is more melodic and the treble is refined. That time I knew what I was looking for - a smooth and relaxing sound, and not a very detailed, not a kind of speaker that will impress you only for 5 mins listening test nor a speaker that sounds good only on well recorded album like jazz or vocals (again in my opinion).

Then few weeks of waiting for a good deal in 2nd hand market I bought a speaker made by AVI UK. The AVI Neutron IV.

The gentleman was very kind and allowed me to test the speaker before buying it. It impressed me like the feeling that you dont care for the weaknesses of the speaker, you just listen to the music..  I know the speaker  has a weak bass, but for the midrange and treble positiveness I tend to forgot the weak bass. When I brought it at home I tested first in my living room and I got similar result on the bass but when I moved it in to my small bedroom the bass weight was increased and is sufficient for most of my music (for some rock music and HT - I just press speaker B on my amp to activate my sub). The neutron's bass is tight, rhythmic, defined and detailed but it lacks the deep bass. For mids, I liked how it rendered the voices especially female voices (lovely and sexy voice hehehe), also how the wind instruments sound, like saxophone- it has a melodic and relaxing sound that is music to the ears. For the treble, it doesn't have the extended treble like other speakers, nor the last bits of details, nor the best dynamics; but I can say it has a decent treble. To conclude how I would call this speaker, I would say it is a sweet sounding speaker. Now I am happy and contented on my speaker/ setup. I probably keep this for many years to come hopefully I will not be bitten by upgradiditis  ;D

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2009 at 04:32 PM by trumanfools »

Offline trumanfools

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 09, 2008 at 02:47 PM »
Another update guys  :) I changed my speaker cable from copper to QED Silver Anniversary XT cable and here's what I noticed:

-it adds up details especially on treble, guitars and cymbals are more alive but not aggravating to the ears.. I can say 'sakto' lang. Kung baga solve na sa konting detail improvement na binigay ng upgrade ko to silver-plated copper...
-it adds up midrange texture, voices are more pronounced and detailed but still not so sibilant, I can say I am seeing the benefit of silver-plated copper on my system.
-it gives better separation of instrument, but I still give credit to monitor audio for separation of instrument and dynamics, MAs are great, revealing and detailed speakers, however MAs are too bright and too detailed for my taste.

Imaging, I can not hear any much improvement maybe because my amp has a little 'laid back' characteristic which put you on an audience level when you are in concert or performance.. Parang nasa 5th row to 8th row ka kasi I'm hearing some air/ambience on the voice and instruments. Not sure also if my speaker is contributing to it's laid back characteristic. Anybody can give feedback on my setup's laidback characteristic?
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2008 at 03:07 PM by trumanfools »