Author Topic: Bluray VS DVD  (Read 20635 times)

Offline superpogi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bluray VS DVD
« on: Apr 02, 2008 at 03:31 PM »
Why is Bluray so much more expensive than DVD?
Just how much better Bluray really is than DVD?
Are you people willing to pay the premium price for bluray?
If so then it means you people are not satisfied with DVD, am I right or am I correct? ???

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: Bluray VS DVD
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 04:03 PM »
maybe it's not really that we are not satisfied with DVD, we only want to maximize our new gears which offers better technology. IMHO DVD will not allow us to appreciate fully our new gears. i hope dumating agad yung time when the prices of BD will be the same as the price of DVDs now. Well again, maybe by that time there will again be new and better gears thus another new format  ;)

by the way i only buy BDs that I know i will never get tired of watching over and over again. the rest DVD pa din ang binibili ko  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2008 at 04:43 PM by vtec3 »

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 05:01 PM »
It all boils down to your eyes and ears. As for me, blu ray movies offer better or if not the best picture and audio quality.
For its price naman, you cant compare prices for local release dvds as against blu ray, malayo talaga. if you happen to visit online shops like Amazon.com, prices for sd dvds and blu ray are almost the same.

Local shops naman dito grabe kung mag presyo ng blu ray movies  >:(

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 05:03 PM »

Because you are comparing the price of a 2 year old product with approx. 2% market penetration to a 10 year old product that owns 98% of the market.  My 1st DVD player was over $600 and it didn't even have component video output.

About 6 times better (based on claims from the HD DVD camp when it was still actively competing).

Based on the fact that I invested more money on DVD equipment and software initially, my opinion is, I'm not really paying that much premium on HDM...but yes, having seen lots of HDMs, I'm willing to pay premium on HDMs if that's what you consider it.

If so then it means you people are not satisfied with DVD, am I right or am I correct? ???

If a title is available in HD and you have a chance to compare the DVD version, then you should easily see how lossy DVD is...something most of us didnt even realize until HDMs started to get released.  I still watch (rent) DVDs though I don't buy new titles anymore.

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 05:11 PM »

BDs are expensive compared to SDVDs not only because it's a new format, but because it has features that are not available in SDVDs. eg., SQ: DTS-HD, True-HD.

With new gears, you can definitely see the difference in PQ & SQ between BDs and DVDs. How much better is BD compared to DVD, well IMO, much much better. People are willing to pay a premium for BDs considering that they have new gears where to try it. Why upgrade to Plasma or LCD when you can't test the true potentials of these units?

It's not that we're not satisfied with DVDs, something better just came out, as mentioned in some other thread. Although I do purchase BDs, I still continue on purchasing DVDs just the same.

Try out/audition BDs and you will personally see the difference vis-a-vis DVDs.
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 05:20 PM »

agree ako 1000% if only the prices of BD here is similar to what it is online then malamang puro BD na din ang bibilhin ko  ;)

to add sa comment ko above, even i use an upconverting player to watch DVD I still feel ang layo ng difference in terms of PQ vs watching a BD movie. Lalo na kapag pinagusapan natin ang SQ  ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 05:42 PM »
With new gears, you can definitely see the difference in PQ & SQ between BDs and DVDs. How much better is BD compared to DVD, well IMO, much much better. People are willing to pay a premium for BDs considering that they have new gears where to try it. Why upgrade to Plasma or LCD when you can't test the true potentials of these units?

+1 The better(or bigger) the gear, the more obvious the difference is... :) :) :)

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 09:24 PM »
mag co-exist po yung BD and DVD, not all can afford an HDTV, ilan lang % ang meron HDTV

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 11:27 PM »
I'm satisfy with DVD but if you own a HD display then that's another story. Syempre you want to maximize your display resolution & see the best PQ. But due to the high price of BD, I'm very selective....mostly got those on sale or bargain price. ;D

Offline JAQY888

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 05:09 AM »

Oh yes, agree ako dyan !!!!!

Saw some guys purchasing BDs at a GH store, and this store sells BDs at prices ranging between 1.9K to 2.3K (single BDs)..... sabi ko, kawawa mga ito.... they don't know that they're being ripped-off. There are very few local shops which sell BDs, thus, those shops that do...... harang naman ang price!!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(
50pv70;AX200E
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 05:11 AM »
diba cheaper ang BD sa SonyStyle stores, from 1.3k to 1.9k  ::) lol

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 07:09 AM »
BD are not expensive. It's about the same price when DVD was new more than 10 years ago.

I remember Sony DVD player we bought was 27T in HK, 19T for Pioneer locally. We got our R1 DVD from Amazon for $18 to $30. since there are only very few DVD movies here in the Phils before. There are still no pirated DVD movies.

We considered BD expensive bec. of so many pirated DVD in the market now.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 08:22 AM »
Just how captivating high def contents are:

Brother-in-law is visiting Tokyo right now and yesterday I showed him Wrestlemania 2008, XC Elite Shamrock, American Idol and Teagan's Juice all in HD glory.

Result:  Pre-planned Tokyo Disneyland tour for today is cancelled.  Nood nalang daw muna sya maghapon magdamag ng high def tutal marami pang days to visit Disney Resort... ;D ;D ;D.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 08:34 AM »
Nice one Clondalkin.  ;) That's the power of Hi-def...& it's also addicting! :D

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 09:09 AM »
Just how captivating high def contents are:

Brother-in-law is visiting Tokyo right now and yesterday I showed him Wrestlemania 2008, XC Elite Shamrock, American Idol and Teagan's Juice all in HD glory.

Result:  Pre-planned Tokyo Disneyland tour for today is cancelled.  Nood nalang daw muna sya maghapon magdamag ng high def tutal marami pang days to visit Disney Resort... ;D ;D ;D.

Nice one  ;D  Buti na lang postponed lang hindi sinabi na yung gagastosin sa Tokyo Disneyland will be use to buy BD titles. 5000 Yen for Disney entrance = 2 BD Movies  ;)

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 04:18 PM »
Coming to Blu-ray and DVD, not DVD and Blu-ray
By Scott Hettric

Has anyone noticed that some ads and press releases are starting to position Blu-ray ahead of DVD?
For instance, a recent Warner trade ad for "P.S. I Love You" lists "Blu-ray and DVD Order Due Date."
That's compared to a Sony trade ad for "Untraceable" that says, "DVD, Blu-ray & PSP May 13th."

Sure, it's a seemingly little thing but, believe me, every word and placement on every ad is scrutinized by a team of people.

The subconscious placement of Blu-ray ahead of DVD in an ad and in a press release like the one I got today from Sony for "First Sunday" -- "The Laughs Begin On Blu-rayâ„¢ High-Def, DVD and PSPâ„¢ May 6th -- is a notable strategic shift.

There are sporadic examples of Blu-tay listed first in ads going back weeks and months (Warner's early February ad for "I Am Legend" said, "Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD Street Date...").

It may not always be a top-level corporate decision, especially on a press release, and the adjustment is clearly not conistent yet from studio to studio or even from title to title at the same studio. And sometimes the decision for a press release may be seat-of-the-pants and not necessarily part of a consistent studio message (the press release for "Untraceable" listed Blu-ray first even though the ad had it reversed).
But, believe me, the person making the final decision consciously decided to move Blu-ray ahead of DVD. (One publicity person told me the decided to move Blu-ray ahead of DVD because Blu-ray is the cooler and edgier format and the one that is growing.)

It is no different than Sony adding the term "high-def" alongside "Blu-ray" months ago, followed closely by Disney and Warner and others (Warner uses "Hi-def" instead of "High-def"). That was no accident or arbitrary decision either.

The bottom line is that it 's little things like this that initiate subtle shifts in the consumer mindset, awareness, and interest in new products.
So that's a good thing for those of us anxious to have Blu-ray become a mass market format.

Source: http://www.hollywoodinhidef.com/blog_detail.php?id=188

Offline JAQY888

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 08:40 PM »

Providing you with further info (gathered from the net), bro, regarding your query:

Blu-ray movies

Blu-ray movies feature high definition video and audio as well as advanced interactive features. The problem with today's DVDs is that they only support standard definition and don't have the necessary storage capacity to satisfy the needs of high definition (HD). That's where Blu-ray comes in, it offers up to 50GB of storage capacity and enables playback, recording and rewriting of HD in all of the HD resolutions including 1080p. Blu-ray discs are also more resistant to scratches and fingerprints than today's DVDs, while still preserving the same look and feel.

Video

Compared to standard definition, which is the resolution used in today's TVs and DVDs, high definition offers up to six times the amount of detail.

HD comparison

Comparison of standard definition (PAL/NTSC) and high definition (720p/1080p) resolutions.

Blu-ray movies can be encoded with different codecs, which codec that will be used for a specific movie is up to the movie studio that has made that movie. Some studios might prefer one codec and other studios another, but the specific movie also affects the codec of choice. However, all this means little for the consumer since it's mostly a technical aspect and not something that's visible for the eye (unless you are a video expert).

Supported video formats

# MPEG-2 - enhanced for HD, also used for playback of DVDs and HDTV recordings.
# MPEG-4 AVC - part of the MPEG-4 standard also known as H.264 (High Profile and Main Profile).
# SMPTE VC-1 - standard based on Microsoft's Windows Media Video (WMV) technology.

Audio

Blu-ray movies support HD audio formats and lossless audio. As with the video codecs, it's up to the movie studios to decide which audio format(s) they use for their releases.

Supported audio formats

# Linear PCM (LPCM) - offers up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio.
# Dolby Digital (DD) - format used for DVDs also known as AC3, 5.1-channel surround sound.
# Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) - extension of DD, increased bitrates and 7.1-channel surround sound.
# Dolby TrueHD - extension of MLP Lossless, lossless encoding of up to 8 channels of audio.
# DTS Digital Surround - format used for DVDs, offers 5.1-channel surround sound.
# DTS-HD - extension of DTS, offers increased bitrates and up to 8 channels of audio.

Extras

In addition to the outstanding video and audio quality, the extra storage capacity also means there will be plenty of room for additional content and special features. This combined with the new BD-J interactivity layer adopted by Blu-ray will bring the menus, graphics and special features to a whole new level. For example, you will be able to bring up the menu system as an overlay without stopping the movie, and you could have the director of the movie on the screen explaining the shooting of a scene while the scene is playing in the background. The advanced interactivity combined with the networking features of Blu-ray will also allow content producers to support new innovative features such as downloading extras, updating content via the web, and watching live broadcasts of special events.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2008 at 08:49 PM by JAQY888 »
50pv70;AX200E
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 10:00 PM »
Coming to Blu-ray and DVD, not DVD and Blu-ray
By Scott Hettric

Has anyone noticed that some ads and press releases are starting to position Blu-ray ahead of DVD?
For instance, a recent Warner trade ad for "P.S. I Love You" lists "Blu-ray and DVD Order Due Date."
That's compared to a Sony trade ad for "Untraceable" that says, "DVD, Blu-ray & PSP May 13th."

That's because studios and CEs want to replace the 10 year old DVD format.  That's the proposition for the high def format.  They are meant to replace DVDs eventually.  In the same vein that in 1997, the ads had DVDs ahead of VHS in their stellar billing. 

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 07:01 AM »
Actually SD DVDs aren't bad.  Something better just came out.  If Bluray didn't exist we wouldn't know any better.  We would still be enjoying our DVDs and feel we have the best audio and video source there is.  Even upscaled DVDs aren't bad at all.  In small TV screens where the majority of us still use, the video difference would be minimal between SD and HD for us to shell out that extra dough.  The big difference would only be appreciated with PJ owners who I think are a minority in the general viewing public.

IMHO, upgrading to Bluray at this point is too early.  Prices of software is still high & a lot of upgrading of hardware is still in the process to fix the bugs.

I just bought a PS3 out of curiousity.  Whenever a title I want comes out, I am still contemplating on buying a DVD rather than Bluray primarily because of the cost of the software.   The enjoyment of watching that title would be on par with watching it in Bluray anyway.  Actually, I can sell my PS3 without remorse at this time and still enjoy standard DVDs.  The dilemma would be gone.

If BD software prices plummet down then there will be no contest.  ;)

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 08:18 AM »
The studios see bluray as a way to fight piracy. Each film has unique serial code to hamper bluray piracy. There are no pirated Bluray disc yet. Burners and blanks are still not widely available and are expensive, and duplicating machines maybe restricted. However there's jack sparrow bluray sourced DVD 9s in the market offering superior PQ over SD DVDs.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2008 at 08:23 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 09:09 AM »
Actually SD DVDs aren't bad.  Something better just came out.  If Bluray didn't exist we wouldn't know any better.  We would still be enjoying our DVDs and feel we have the best audio and video source there is.  Even upscaled DVDs aren't bad at all.  In small TV screens where the majority of us still use, the video difference would be minimal between SD and HD for us to shell out that extra dough.  The big difference would only be appreciated with PJ owners who I think are a minority in the general viewing public.

IMHO, upgrading to Bluray at this point is too early.  Prices of software is still high & a lot of upgrading of hardware is still in the process to fix the bugs.

I just bought a PS3 out of curiousity.  Whenever a title I want comes out, I am still contemplating on buying a DVD rather than Bluray primarily because of the cost of the software.   The enjoyment of watching that title would be on par with watching it in Bluray anyway.  Actually, I can sell my PS3 without remorse at this time and still enjoy standard DVDs.  The dilemma would be gone.

My experience and views diverge from yours nerve.  I think its high time to upgrade to Bluray.  Bluray has emerged as the new standard and HD TV sets are selling like hotcakes. But the main thing is there's just no comparison between DVD and Blu-ray in terms of picture quality. The difference is huge. Audio quality?  I am not yet convinced but that's probably because I'm still using an AVR that can't decode the newer formats.

Prices of HD software and hardware are still on the high side but that's no different from when DVD or Betamax were new, except that Blu-ray has been here for quite a while now and the technology has matured while prices have actually started to go south. Then there's the PS3.  If you are into gaming as well as movies, and a lot of us are, then pricewise buying one is a no brainer.   :)
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2008 at 09:16 AM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 03:29 PM »
The picture quality for me is really far (on the really good transfers). The others puede na dvd..This is where I think studios should really concentrate, but there are so many films out there I doubt they  all will be great transfers, great master copy. But I think it is really worth the upgrade over dvd if you have hdtvs and the other equips.  However, I have totally cut down on buying bluray discs. Im buying the cheaper hddvd discs at the moment ;D. Last year for me was totally diff bec of the buy one get one deals, buy 2 take 1 etc. I went on a buying frenzy bec of the these deals  ;D and also I get additional 10 percent discount from amazon. This year however Im no longer getting the addtl 10 percent discount and no great deals for bluray so far ( not as much as last year.) After a while the cost is adding up, therefore I'm cooling down na. There are so many bluray titles on my must have list like Ind day, I robot, No country for old men to name a few. Im still waiting for the deals ;D

The no holds bar purchase for me is the dirty harry series and the original batman with Adam West hehe.., I'm pre-ordering these for sure ;D I'm more selective now
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2008 at 04:50 PM by Moks007 »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 07:57 AM »
The problem with my Sony S301 is that it cant read my R3 DVDs but when i tested my "sidewalk" bluray design DVDs it played flawlessly--reason that i stopped buying now.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 02:16 PM »
Bluray VS DVD?????
You are like comparing DVD  with VCD
This is for me! ;D
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2008 at 11:36 PM »
bluray vs dvd is not dvd vs vcd. more like SACD/DVD Audio vs CD.

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 05:07 PM »
bluray vs dvd is not dvd vs vcd. more like SACD/DVD Audio vs CD.
I agree in terms of AQ
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline bono vox

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 06:21 PM »
sir odyopayl and sir daigoro, both of you are correct... difference is like comparing the two...  ;D ;D ;D
dvd vs. vcd
sacd/dvd audio vs. cd
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2008 at 06:22 PM by bono vox »

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 07:17 PM »
For the audio quality, it would be very hard to notice the difference b/w the two IMO. More here: http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby_TrueHD_DTS-MA_versus_Uncompressed_PCM
In addition, you need a very high end room if you want to notice that little difference.

I think this was also proven here by the EB held last Sept at sir Mark's HT.
Eto pa nga sabi ni sir Mark:
Sir nerve, pa-copy ha  ;)
Best line sabi ni sir Mark nung nakita yung results ng DD/Dolby True HD test:

Ambibingi nyo!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Palinis muna tayo tenga kay Esi....

For the video quality, it depends on your screen size and viewing distance. There will be a distance(I think far enough) in which the human eye cannot anymore resolve the fine details which would result to the two looking the same. But I would agree that screen sizes greater than 32" will benefit greatly from the resolution and fine details that bluray can give.
Just my two cents.  :D

With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2008 at 08:17 AM »
Just because BDs and DVDs are of different generations, it doesn't mean that we can't compare them.

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2008 at 08:38 AM »
For the audio quality, it would be very hard to notice the difference b/w the two IMO. More here: http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby_TrueHD_DTS-MA_versus_Uncompressed_PCM
In addition, you need a very high end room if you want to notice that little difference.

I think this was also proven here by the EB held last Sept at sir Mark's HT.
Eto pa nga sabi ni sir Mark:
Sir nerve, pa-copy ha  ;)
For the video quality, it depends on your screen size and viewing distance. There will be a distance(I think far enough) in which the human eye cannot anymore resolve the fine details which would result to the two looking the same. But I would agree that screen sizes greater than 32" will benefit greatly from the resolution and fine details that bluray can give.
Just my two cents.  :D

QFT
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio