Author Topic: Bluray VS DVD  (Read 20634 times)

Offline supotman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • don't throw BAGs and supot to the earth.recycle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bluray VS DVD
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2008 at 06:32 PM »
probably the difference between bluray and dvd will be apparent in TVs that have the highest definition and resolution...t think ::) ???

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2008 at 06:33 PM by supotman »

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2008 at 08:42 PM »
probably the difference between bluray and dvd will be apparent in TVs that have the highest definition and resolution...t think ::) ???

Not necessary the highest definition and resolution, you can fully appreciate the difference between bluray and dvd in LCD or plasma capable of displaying at least 720p.

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2008 at 05:16 PM »
The difference is noticeable but considering the low price of DVDs these days, I just can't force myself to buy more Blu-Ray discs.

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 02:10 PM »
I'd say VERY LOW PRICES.. But for the big popcorn movies, BluRay is a must..
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #34 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 07:21 PM »
Not necessary the highest definition and resolution, you can fully appreciate the difference between bluray and dvd in LCD or plasma capable of displaying at least 720p.

Particularly noticeable for 50" and larger displays at a resolution of 1080p..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 07:57 PM »

I'm using a 32" hd ready lcd and I must say that there is a very significant improvement over upscaled SD. ;) I'm sure that the differences will be more apparent in fullHD sets and bigger screens. :)
SARS!!!

Offline john martin

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #36 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 08:03 PM »
Particularly noticeable for 50" and larger displays at a resolution of 1080p..

Agree to larger screen sizes that definition are quite noticeable. I have the Sony SXRD Bravia and it offers full HD 1080p.

High Definition (Bluray) is the future of Home entertainment.  BD players are bound to get cheaper in a couple of years.  DVD is already 20 years old.  Its just a matter of time that the market will have acceptance.  The emergence of pirated DVDs is the reason why both movie outlets and manufacturers support this format. 

Bluray, as of this time cannot be cracked yet.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 09:03 PM »
I can discern the BD pq on my HDTV 720p at 42" size so you can imagine the 1080p at a 50" screen & above...whoa all I can say it's HD nirvana! :D

Can't wait to get my very own 1080p HDTV in the future.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #38 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 09:44 PM »

Bluray, as of this time cannot be cracked yet.

bd+, the copy protection being used by bluray has been cracked a year ago by slysoft with their anydvd hd program. but the thing with bd+ is they can change the security key or update so to speak through patches but slysoft has just cracked the new revision a few days ago. this was the reason how sony was able to get some of the studios to support the format (+ the money they paid) because hddvd did not have this upgradable security concept, and this was readily cracked by the same slysoft team even before they cracked bd+.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/179/1050179/slysoft-re-cracks-bd-

i think the difference with this era is transferring these to jack sparrow bds is harder because of this security patches. that is why hardware now are full of firmware upgrades for people to update their machines to be able to play the new discs with these new patches. remember some newer bd releases that were having problems with some older bd players etc. this is the result of this on going battle. but what slysoft has done is to give "wise" people the chance to rip bds and get the hd file which is now the norm and readily available in the net.

sony to be honest is really fighting a losing battle, but you can't blame them for trying. its a business.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2009 at 09:47 PM by iiinas »

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 06:37 AM »
Can't wait to get my very own 1080p HDTV in the future.

Same here. A 40" would be fine by me. :) ;D
SARS!!!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 08:44 AM »
Same here. A 40" would be fine by me. :) ;D

The cost of buying a 40" HDTV 3 years ago is the same or even cheaper than the 50" size nowdays.

jojitv, if you go fullHD 1080p, try to go all out for a 50" even you will have to save longer.... :D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 09:18 AM »
The cost of buying a 40" HDTV 3 years ago is the same or even cheaper than the 50" size nowdays.

jojitv, if you go fullHD 1080p, try to go all out for a 50" even you will have to save longer.... :D

+1 sir paul. bigger the better!

go go go brader jojit!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 09:38 AM »

+1 sir paul. bigger the better!

go go go brader jojit!  ;D ;D ;D

How I would love to have a 50" screen. But I'm afraid my rack will not be able to handle a tv that big. But who knows? If the prices continue to drop, we might be able to afford the bigger screens. I'll just replace the rack along with the TV. ;D ;D ;D
SARS!!!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 09:48 AM »
How I would love to have a 50" screen. But I'm afraid my rack will not be able to handle a tv that big. But who knows? If the prices continue to drop, we might be able to afford the bigger screens. I'll just replace the rack along with the TV. ;D ;D ;D

hehehe. yan ang right decision brader!  ;D

Offline imperialcog

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 10:58 AM »
hehehe. yan ang right decision brader!  ;D

I have a 37" 1080i and I was already satisfied. But when I saw a preview of what it was like with a 50" screen, I nearly cried... hahaha. :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 12:04 PM »
If the prices continue to drop, we might be able to afford the bigger screens. ;D

Count me in...I'm planning to get a new HDTV 50" in year 2010...provided the price would meet my "low budget"  ;D

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 12:19 PM »
I have a 37" 1080i and I was already satisfied. But when I saw a preview of what it was like with a 50" screen, I nearly cried... hahaha. :)

Hahaha. ;D

Count me in...I'm planning to get a new HDTV 50" in year 2010...provided the price would meet my "low budget"  ;D

Let's just hope for the best ;). Those 42" plasma prices are really tempting. ;D
SARS!!!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 12:33 PM »
Yes i know what you mean, even the perception of sound becomes different just because of the bigger image. Mas enveloping and dating!

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #48 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 01:07 PM »
I have a 46 incher, bought from last year and already I find it small (I'm not bragging but small to see the big diff of bd and dvd). The prices of the 50 incher and above are really just too much for me at that time. It really pays to wait and have patience. I did not have patience bec I already have the hddvds and blu-rays (was watching on 32 incher)and really want to enjoy them "now." The itch was just too much.  ;D I don't know, but there are really some dvds that really look hidef to me on my tv  ;D. I'm one of the dvd advocates that is really saying there is not much difference on some movies :D. Especially the recent jack sparrow ones where I swear they really look good, like hidef talaga ;D (I'm not promoting piracy, just stating reality of whats available out there ;D). This is where the "good enough" comes in I guess. I sit around 8 plus feet from my tv.

Anyway I was at ansons trinoma last week and I was at the counter when I noticed their 42 inch pioneer kuro playing Daredevil. From where Im standing (from the counter), which is around 10 to 12 feet ata, man it really look like hidef. I was so stunned that I went to check out what player they have and what connections. Its just a progressive player. Tuloy I wanted to buy that movie sa viva just to check it out.  It could be the magnificent kuro, or the viewing distance. But I think they all came into play. I told my wife to check it out and she just ignore me bec. she knows I'm trying to convince her on a new tv or a bigger tv ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 01:30 PM »
I have a 46 incher, bought from last year and already I find it small (I'm not bragging but small to see the big diff of bd and dvd). The prices of the 50 incher and above are really just too much for me at that time. It really pays to wait and have patience. I did not have patience bec I already have the hddvds and blu-rays (was watching on 32 incher)and really want to enjoy them "now." The itch was just too much.  ;D I don't know, but there are really some dvds that really look hidef to me on my tv  ;D. I'm one of the dvd advocates that is really saying there is not much difference on some movies :D. Especially the recent jack sparrow ones where I swear they really look good, like hidef talaga ;D (I'm not promoting piracy, just stating reality of whats available out there ;D). This is where the "good enough" comes in I guess. I sit around 8 plus feet from my tv.

Anyway I was at ansons trinoma last week and I was at the counter when I noticed their 42 inch pioneer kuro playing Daredevil. From where Im standing (from the counter), which is around 10 to 12 feet ata, man it really look like hidef. I was so stunned that I went to check out what player they have and what connections. Its just a progressive player. Tuloy I wanted to buy that movie sa viva just to check it out.  It could be the magnificent kuro, or the viewing distance. But I think they all came into play. I told my wife to check it out and she just ignore me bec. she knows I'm trying to convince her on a new tv or a bigger tv ;D

Hehehe, sir raymond, hindi nag work ang plan m for convincing your wife. Anyway, i think its the viewing distance first, then the kuro then the player and the material. For the 42 incher kuro, 5-6 feet is the optimal viewing. But i agree with you that some dvds, orig or jack sparrows are really good. Its only when you do a side by side comparo before you can tell the difference between bd and dvd.

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 01:51 PM »
as i always say, the difference would be on the detail. try to compare crowd scenes, the larger the crowd the better... especially those with panning motion. there you will see much of the difference. for close ups of faces, hands, feet, legs, etc... you really won't see much difference.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 03:09 PM »

... I told my wife to check it out and she just ignore me bec. she knows I'm trying to convince her on a new tv or a bigger tv ;D

Hahaha. ;D She knows our tactics too well. ;)
SARS!!!

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 05:24 PM »
as i always say, the difference would be on the detail. try to compare crowd scenes, the larger the crowd the better... especially those with panning motion. there you will see much of the difference. for close ups of faces, hands, feet, legs, etc... you really won't see much difference.

Right. In addition, what I have noticed are:

1) Look for panning of multiple vertical or diagonal lines which are close together. SD will often have "moire" effects. Parang sumasayaw ang mga lines.

2) Look for dark scenes with a lot of subtle shading. SD will not have the shading. Parang solid black lang.

3) Look for large surfaces with a uniform color, such as sky scenes or a wall. SD will have a lot of "noise" - parang kumikislap. Good BD movies usually have very minimal noise.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 07, 2009 at 01:29 PM »
I told my wife to check it out and she just ignore me bec. she knows I'm trying to convince her on a new tv or a bigger tv ;D

When anybody finds a tactic that works, please share it naman!! hahahahaha

Did anybody see Sony's 70inch?? with the price close to 1 million, dream nalang ako... :'(

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 10:43 AM »

Did anybody see Sony's 70inch?? with the price close to 1 million, dream nalang ako... :'(

tell her that movies such as twilight,sisterhood of the traveling pants and mama mia would look good on a bigger tv. :D :D :D

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 11:47 AM »
BD VS DVD? Don't forget also the SQ of the BD. Pictures are nothing without good SQ
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 01:24 PM »
tell her that movies such as twilight,sisterhood of the traveling pants and mama mia would look good on a bigger tv. :D :D :D

:D :D :D actually tried that but instead got a 30 minute lecture on how is should be content... back to the drawing boards for me.. ;D

BD VS DVD? Don't forget also the SQ of the BD. Pictures are nothing without good SQ

Yes, i agree.. SQ does the finishing touches on the movie..without it, watching would be so different..but alot of people still dont have the equipment to maximize the use of HD DTS,ect...

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 07:18 AM »
Especially the recent jack sparrow ones where I swear they really look good, like hidef talaga ;D (I'm not promoting piracy, just stating reality of whats available out there ;D). This is where the "good enough" comes in I guess. I sit around 8 plus feet from my tv.

;D

I agree.. just like this one  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 06:02 PM »

Hehehe, sir raymond, hindi nag work ang plan m for convincing your wife. Anyway, i think its the viewing distance first, then the kuro then the player and the material. For the 42 incher kuro, 5-6 feet is the optimal viewing. But i agree with you that some dvds, orig or jack sparrows are really good. Its only when you do a side by side comparo before you can tell the difference between bd and dvd.

hehe.. hi iiinas, ya I think its the viewing distance, I was really far ;D, but man it looked good and its just dvd :D

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 06:11 PM »
Hahaha. ;D She knows our tactics too well. ;)

hehe..A good day to convince our wives is just a few weeks away, Valentines Day, ;) when we wine and dine her at a steakhouse  or at lolo dads :D ;D..forget lolo dads nalang (this place scares me bec I heard its expensive, never ate there, but heard its really really good), it cost an arm and a leg so i will save that money for some upgrade nalang ;)

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2009 at 06:34 PM by Moks007 »