Author Topic: I just wanted to familiarize myself with Wharf speakers. Hay Naku!!  (Read 2298 times)

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but, I just want to release my frustration lang.
Because this is the first time this ever happened to me

I was at EDSA Shangrila a while ago and just happily bought my 2 new DVD's Rescuers and Over the Hedge.
I am not familiar with Wharfedale speakers so when I saw Ambassador Appliances I decided that it would be a great time to familiarize my self with the speakers.
Went in, all the sales peoples appear to be watching a poorly upscaled Bee Movie on the SkyWorth LCD on display.

I was just leisurely admiring all the speakers on display until I asked one of the salesmen if they could give me a list and pricing for their Wharf speakers.
He gave me hard copy of the list and I asked if he could give me a copy that I could take home.

He said that "bawal mag-bigay ng kopya ng price"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does he expect me to memorize all the models and prices of the speakers.
So I asked him again, he gave me the same response.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again does he expect me to just blindly buy these speakers.

Ganun ba talaga? Is it really part of their practice not to give customers a copy of the speakers list and pricing?

Now, a grey haired dude came in looking at the Digi cams on display, and the sales man turned away from me and asked the grey haired dude "Yes sir, ano po yun?"

Now, smoke started to fume out of my nostrils.
I did not want to get into an argument so I quietly walked out.

At least the sales man in Western appliances Megamall was very accommodating when I inquired about the Mordaunt-Short speakers.

I have no intention of putting anyone down here.
Anyway, I'm cool now.

Can anybody recommend a store where I can familiarize myself with Wharf speakers?
Also a list of the speakers and price that I could use for reference.

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2008 at 02:19 PM by juancho »

Offline Chito C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Hay Naku!! Here's what happend
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2008 at 02:20 PM »
Sa sights and sounds 4th floor ng edsa shang.

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Jeff or Jen at Theater Works Trinoma #9013975
Mr. Vic Chua or Jun at Sights and Sounds Shanri La #6341789.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.  It is a bit more expensive in the store you entered than the ones listed above.  Weird cause the one in Virramall even gave me a pricelist when I was scouting for speakers.

Good Luck on your search!

Black
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline onedown

• DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
juancho,

sorry about your not-so-pleasant experience while hunting for a speaker.

folks here might be able to help you better if you state yur budget for the speakers, as well as your listening habits. [do you plan to sue it exclusively for home theater, or home theater and audio] if you're gonna use it for audio, what kind of music is your preference?

posting what amp you plan to use can also help, as well as the size of your room.
peace man!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Hay Naku!! Here's what happend
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2008 at 02:27 PM »
I once asked a store for a list of prices on their iPods and Nokia cellphones and was flatly refused as well.  They told me they can give me the price if I told them the specific model.  But at least they gave me a sensible reason: it was to protect them from competing stores who could copy or try to beat their prices. A printed list would often be proof of a store's prices.  (I think this was Ambassador which indeed has the lowest prices among many appliance stores and they don't release price lists to customers or anyone.)  

Having said that, some AV shops give you a product cataloque from, say, Onkyo or Rotel and their sales people will just write the prices on the corresponding models on the catalogue you are interested in.  
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2008 at 02:28 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
got mine (9.5) from Spectra in Park Square 1, no hassles, was able to audition with ss and tube amp. Spent almost 4 hours there auditioning Wharfs...

they also gave a "very" good price.

good luck and happy hunting this time.

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I have no particular budget and I'm not really planning to buy new speakers.

It's just that Wharfs are the most popular and widely available speakers out there.
So I just wanted to familiarize myself with the different models for future reference.

thanks  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2008 at 02:34 PM by juancho »

Offline onedown

• DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
juancho,

in that case, ask around if you can listen to the system of whardale owners. in my opinion, listening to a sysem in a typical room can give a better feedback of a system compared to listening to a system in a showroom.  :)
peace man!

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
Spectra sa Park Square 1 Makati.

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2008 at 07:14 PM by barrister »

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Sorry to hear your experienced...but sometimes we have to understand the salesman's situation, he's just following store management policy not to hand-out hard copy of price list (nobody wants to lost job now a days,if we don't want to find ourselves queeing for NFA rice :( ) .
You won't go wrong with wharfe.. lots of wharfe happy owners here. I used to own 9.5 but decided to let it go rather than keep them in the box...  ;D

Happy Hunting and Good Luck...  :D

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2008 at 10:39 PM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline squatt3r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Advanced Micro Devices fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
sir sa TheHomeTheater sa Makat. They gave me a good deal sa Wharfe diamond 9 speakers ko.

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Thanks all for pointing me to the different shops I could check out.  :)