Author Topic: CARTOOOOOON NETWORK thread  (Read 8686 times)

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CARTOOOOOON NETWORK thread
« on: Nov 08, 2001 at 11:09 PM »
i love the cartoon network!
do you?

;D
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
Re: CARTOOOOOON NETWORK thread
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2001 at 12:58 PM »
I loved Johnny Bravo (the first series set yata)
before Carl, Pops and the thin Susie showed up.

I looooooove PowerPuff Girls!

I don't like Dexter.  I wonder how Samurai Jack is doing.
but Justice League (Justice Friends?) is pretty interesting

I think Van Partible and Craig McCracken are greater than Gennady Tartovsky.

Courage the Cowardly Dog is actually a pretty brave dog, considering what he has to put with.

I used to watch Crocadoo a lot, I dunno y.  Then I watched Eek! Real Monsters, y, I dunno, too!

on the Nickoledeon side

I love Action League Now
and I sorta like Race Rabbit

but I hate the hosts of Kablam
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2001 at 06:35 PM »
My son and I are avid followers of the ACME HOUR.  My son loves the Popeye Show and Cow and Chicken.  I like Little Lulu.

Over at Nickelodeon, I like watching Hey, Arnold. And my son enjoys Sponge Bob Square Pants, Little Bill and Blues Clues.

FYI:  Blue's Clues host, si Steve, was voted by People Magazine as one of the 100 Hottest Bachelors last year.  I think he  was the 90th. Cute, no?

Offline GENDEMMIT

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2001 at 12:06 AM »
   Care for some "inside dirt" on your favorite CN shows?  As I posted on previous threads, I used to work as in-betweener and animator in Fil-Cartoons, which for the longest time was a direct subsidiary of Hanna-Barbera.  Bill Hanna used to visit the studio a lot, and he was one of the nicest men on the planet.
 Anyway, we did the premiere episodes of Cow and Chicken,
 PP girls, Dexter's Lab,Cow other shows for the "What a Cartoon" block, some of which got their own series, while others didn't make the cut.  One of the shows that hit it big was Dexter's Lab, as you all know.  Well, one story goes like this.  Our GM at the time (a Mr. Bill Dennis),got the go signal to make all the first season episodes for Dexter's Lab.  We already did a few, if I remember correctly, like the first appearance of Mandark, and so on.  During a casual conversation with series creator Gendy Tartakovsky, our GM asked, innocently enough, whether he (Gendy) got the idea for Dexter from an old Felix the Cat character called Poindexter, who was portrayed as some kind of boy genius/scientist, who had a big pair of glasses on all the time, very much like Dexter.  Insulted (or so the story goes), Tartakovsky left in a huff, and consequently demanded that all Dexter shows be pulled out from Fil-Cartoons.  We never did an episode of Dexter after that.  

Nice guy, huh?

Another story is more on Hanna-Barbera itself, and the Walt Disney studios, and has little to do with CN in general.  A grade school in the US had a great idea to have their kids pull out their paintbrushes and decorate the school walls with their favorite Disney characters (you know, Mickey, Donald, etc.), much to the delight of the kids.  Well, one entity that was NOT delighted was Walt Disney Studios.  Seems one of their bright corporate lawyers had the idea that it would be in the company's best interest, in the name of intellectual property, to demand that the school erase all likenesses of their characters from the school's walls, which the school did, much to the dissapointment of the kids, who worked so hard on their paintings.  Well, one of the people who heard about this was Bill Hanna, who immediately after sent a bunch of his best artists over to the school, and had them paint all the major HB characters on the school's walls, with the participation of the kids. :)  The paintings, I believe, are still there today.

That man sure  had class.  It's pretty sad that he passed away a year or so ago.  As for Disney, I think the Magic Kingdom should ban all their lawyers, and re-assess what their company stands for.

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2001 at 04:43 AM »
wow great inside stories gendemmit!

you know i never liked Gennady Taratovsky for some reason
he just rubbed me the wrong way
Craig McCracken seems to be the one who rocks!
;D

its nice to see Mr. Hanna is a nice guy
the problem with Disney is that they are no longer run by Disney (or at least someone like him)
it is now a big, bad corporation, still produces some nice stuff, but it just ain't the same

but wow!  Bill Hanna visits this country a lot pala!
sarap to interview him siguro, do any of the cartoon creators like mccracken, partible, etc. visit here too?

more kuwento, gendemmit, more!  ;D
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2001 at 04:47 AM »
;D ;D  Hey Mrs. Cruzack,

I love watching Little Lulu too!! hehehe!! kakatawa yung mga antics nya dun!! heheh!!  lalo na yung mga start kung san nasa stage sya at patawa sya!! hahaha!! LOL!! ;D

Offline GENDEMMIT

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2001 at 06:01 AM »
  Okay, joeypogi!   Ever wonder why there's a gajillion episodes of Captain Planet on CN?  Remember a few years ago when Ted Turner was still head honcho of CNN, Cartoon Network, and so on, before the AOL-Time Warner mergers?  Well, aside from his other duties, he and then wife Jane Fonda were active members of Greenpeace.  And, as one of his contributions to the group, Lord Ted created and produced the environmental superhero we now know as Captain Planet.  
   The reason that the show lasted for so many seasons was not really ratings, but for the simple reason that it was Ted turner's pet project.  I don't think anyone really watched the damn thing, and the artists at Fil-Cartoons certainly did NOT enjoy making the shows.  The only motivation we had for doing it was it had one of the highest rates from among the other shows we did.  In fact, while working on the show, we "affectionately" referred to it as "Captain PANGET". ;D

And on a side note, I never really saw the other creators from the other shows, although I'd heard from the other staff that they saw McCracken I think, and the other creators.  What usually happens is they'd send over other expats to serve as creative directors/supervisors instead, and those were the guys who usually stayed in the Philippines for months while the project was ongoing.

And if you see Van Partible in person, you'd swear he was Filipino, or a Fil-Am.  I'd never confirmed this myself, pero mukhang pinoy talaga siya.

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2001 at 08:53 PM »
Hey guys, lets not forget Justice League is about to air in Cartoon Network in a few days. :)
Listen to the silence...

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 12:29 AM »
is Justice League
the one with Crunk, Val Halla and Major Glory?
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline GENDEMMIT

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 12:44 AM »
  That would be Justice Friends, correct?  Hey Starman!  By Justice League, do you mean the DC characters?  I heard that there was a Justice League series, drawn in the same manner as the Batman and Superman Animated series.  Is this what you're talking about?

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 10:03 AM »
Para lang hindi magkalituhan, paki-indicate lang kung anong version ng CN yung dinediscuss natin. I understand that there the CN in the US have different cartoons compared to the CN here in PI (ex. Samurai Jack - never seen it here in da Phils.)

In relation to the different CN versions, I was told by my brother based in Singapore that they do not have Powerpuff girls in the CN feed there. Nung nandoon ako, wala akong makitang PPG merchandize sa mga malls para sana sa mga anak. Kaya pala, unknown yung cartoon na iyon doon. Instead, they have Josie and the Pussycats na wala naman dito sa Pinas! Meron din silang Herculoids (remember this cartoon?). Bakit kaya bawal yung Powerpuff Girls sa Singapore?   ??? ???

Para sa anak, I bought 4 CDs from Amazon containing cartoon network tunes (cartoon medley, dexter lab, PPG heroes and villains and the latest PPG CD soundtrack)

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 12:08 PM »
I'm talking about Cartoon Network here in the States.  And Yes, the Justice League, featuring Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern John Stewart, Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl and the Martian Manhunter.  Looking at the line up above, people might think its the Super Friends, but Paul Dini and Bruce Timm swear its going to be a lot better.  This time storylines will make sense and its not just a super hero club.

It's animated by the same people who brought us Batman, Superman and Batman Beyond.   The reviews are very very good.  

It's suppose to continue the storylines in Batman and Superman the animated series.  You can learn more about it in the Cartoon Network webpage at:
www.cartoonnetwork.com/jl
Listen to the silence...

Offline GENDEMMIT

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 12:22 AM »
   Zoiks (a la Shaggy)! Ang ganda naman!  I checked out the link, and I think it's great!   I'd give an arm and a leg to see this on CN Asia!   Hey, mga US based members, baka naman some of you can tape these episodes and "disseminate" it to  pinoydvd members, I, for one, will greatly appreciate it.  Kahit pilot episode lang!

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 09:11 AM »
i just remembered other "cult" cartoons I used to watch as a kid

do any of you remember

Dangermouse?

or

Count Duckula

or

The Spiral Zone

or

Hong Kong Phooey?

hehehe, i love those toons!
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 09:17 AM »
when I heard of Samurai Jack, I thought of that Samurai who appeared in that Monkey episode where Monkey fought the greatest warrior in the world

"I craaaaaave challllleeengggeee!"

hehehe
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2001 at 08:16 PM »
Talking about the Powerpuff Girls, I just received the Meet the Beat-Alls DVD and watched it with my kids (7 & 3). What struck me regarding the title episode is that it appealled more to the adults especially a Beatle-maniac like me. I do not expect the kids to appreciate the Beatles-related jokes but I really enjoyed the one liners.

I'm looking forward though to the PPG Movie come July 2002 (US release). I expect the DVD to be available early December 2002. Hope the movie is also released locally (like Rugrats) and unlike Pokemon (which I believe was never released in the local theaters.)

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2001 at 12:59 AM »
more childhood cartoons and tv shows

fraggle rock!
muppet show!

the power of a great children's cartoon or show is its ability to cater to kids and adults alike, like powerpuff girls or the muppetshow!

hence they become classics

i frown upon this continuing trend of children's show to go towards the gross, like ren and stimpy, cow and chicken, etc.  they guys are just hacks who try to get attention through shock rather than creativity
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline GENDEMMIT

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2001 at 01:32 AM »
    Fraggle Rock! Yeah!  Which leads me to ask, what happened to the Kermit channel?   Inaabangan ko pa naman yung Fraggle Rock on a semi- regular basis, tapos it was dropped for Sky.  Or was it cancelled by the broadcasters  themselves?  It was tied up with Hallmark, wasn't it?

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2001 at 08:33 AM »

Fraggle Rock! Yeah!  Which leads me to ask, what happened to the Kermit channel?   Inaabangan ko pa naman yung Fraggle Rock on a semi- regular basis, tapos it was dropped for Sky.  Or was it cancelled by the broadcasters  themselves?  It was tied up with Hallmark, wasn't it?

The Kermit Channel was folded into the Hallmark channel to maximize satellite utilization. It was the programmer's call, not the operator.

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2001 at 12:48 AM »
I love dexter's lab but I guess you can only get so many situations regarding a kid.

Cow and Chicken - who can go wrong with a cow and a chicken. Is it just me or that doesn't make any sense.  ;D

But my favorite of all are the Dick Dastardly and Muttley shows. "Muttley Do Something!!!!"

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2001 at 10:20 AM »
;D I like Cow and Chicken. They are soooooo hilarious and weird. And also Cowardly the Courageous(?)Dog.

Since we're talking about cartoons, I'd wish THE LOONEY TUNES aired over Cartoon Network. Bugs, Daffy, Porky, Tweety, Sylvester, Sam, Taz, Granny, Speedy, Roadrunner, Coyote, Elmer and even the Martian.  Just love these cooky, oddball characters coz they have ATTITUDE. And theirs transcended over time. Kung baga, theirs is Classic and Timeless. Not even Donald Duck can beat the wit and tantrums of Daffy Duck. ;D  And that Sylvester one-liner "GIMME, GIMME....GIMME THE CAN OPENER" (remember that one where he hilariously chased a mouse for the lone can opener in a locked house?), I often use that line when asking for something he he he.. ;D

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2001 at 01:17 PM »

Since we're talking about cartoons, I'd wish THE LOONEY TUNES aired over Cartoon Network. Bugs, Daffy, Porky, Tweety, Sylvester, Sam, Taz, Granny, Speedy, Roadrunner, Coyote, Elmer and even the Martian

Isn't Cartoon Network showing them already.  I remember my daughter watching an old Bugs Bunny episode the other night.  I think that was during the "Night Shift" time.

I like Dexter's Lab, Power Puff and Johnny Bravo. In Nickolodeon, it's Hey Arnold! (good moral values) and Rugrats. I watch it with my little girl :)

And that Sylvester one-liner "GIMME, GIMME....GIMME THE CAN OPENER" (remember that one where he hilariously chased a mouse for the lone can opener in a locked house?), I often use that line when asking for something he he he.. ;D

I remember that!  My most vivid memory from that episode is of a grand piano falling on Sylvester.  When he pop out of the shambles, he smiled with piano keys for his teeth ;D  

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2001 at 06:31 PM »
that sylvester piano bit was hilarious. but who could forget the "duck season, rabbit season" and the "buck and quarter quarterstaff" sequences...

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2001 at 06:51 PM »
how about bugs bunny and yosimite sam in that civil war area spoof...

sam: " ahoy, enemy ahoy!!!"
bugs: "wats up doc"
sam "hahahaha...a rabbitt"

well cant seem to recall the next lines hehe

i remember sam marching towards bugs fort..tapos pagbukas ng gate, may malaking cannon...and then he runs back to his fort... (well its funnier when u see it)

...how about that episode where bugs was singing "no more teacher, no more books, no more teacher dirty looks..summer time...summer time"

i remember channel 13 or was that 9, replaying the same shows over and over and over..

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2001 at 08:42 PM »
I liked the Marvin the Martian episodes 8)

check out this BBC article on the real Christopher Robin from Winnie the Pooh!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/arts/newsid_1677000/1677945.stm
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2001 at 09:33 AM »
Next Year:

Samurai Jack!

Adult Swim!

Could Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z and Cowboy Bebop be far behind?

Then again, maybe not. It's funny how CN jumped the Toonami segment and went straight for Adult Swim. I guess they have no rights to broadcast their anime in Asia :(

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2002 at 11:34 PM »
Nawala ang TCM. Yan ang masama.
::)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2002 at 04:06 AM »
TCM is a great loss, agreed, but anyone checked out Adult Swim?  Space Ghost Coast to Coast and that Attorney at Law thingie are surreal, even witty.  I wouldn't mind having this on at night, as long as TCM has a 24 hour channel of its own...

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2002 at 09:53 PM »
omigosh!

I love Space Ghost: Coast to Coast! ;D
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2002 at 08:22 AM »
I had an uncontrollable laugh trip last night with Adult Swim, especially the "Moon-nites" episode from Aqua Team Hunger Force. Classic!