Author Topic: Pinoy Films You'd Like To See on DVD  (Read 117882 times)

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pinoy Films You'd Like To See on DVD
« Reply #60 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 06:25 AM »
Komikero I'm pretty sure, you're referring to Darna. :D

Hello kakabanas! Welcome to PinoyDVD! You really know your Filipino films. I wish I could say the same for myself.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 06:32 AM »
Thanks Phoebus.

I also would like to see a DVD version of a concert I saw ages ago. It was called The Best of Manila with Basil Valdez, Kuh Ledesma, Zsazsa Padilla and Gary Valenciano... that was a really great concert.

And I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of flak about this, but what what the best episodes of Anna Liza or Flor de Luna on DVD ? Night time soap operas when I was growing up were cool and unlike the ones now that I just can't swallow. I guess I am not that naive anymore and I know now the difference between good and horrible. I hate movies and tv shows that make me feel stupid.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 07:02 AM »
Thanks Phoebus.

There are also some movies I remember seing on tv when I was young. They were in black in white and being shown in the afternoon .... I'm sure they're gone now since there's no movie preservation in the Philippines unlike in US where they have American Film Institute that restores and preserves classic movies voted on by the artists and historians.

I would like to see on DVD these very old movies :

Korea
Anak Dalita
Badjao
Juan Tamad
Dahil Sa Isang Bulaklak
Waray-waray
Manang Biday

and some great movies made by these following great thespians :

Rosa Rosal
Marlene Dauden
Amalia Fuentes

I just remembered the Nora's great line in one of her movies .. "my brother is not a pig !"

This was in Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo

I think the following would also classify as classics :

Pinakamagandang Hayop sa Balat ng Lupa (Gloria Diaz)
Burlesk Queen
Lumakad Kang Hubad Sa Mundong Ibabaw
Scorpio Nights
The Boatman

Gay Subjects :
There's this one movie where Mark Gil played a gay character and won an award, I forgot the title but that was really good. Also,Dolphy and Nino Muhlach in Ang Tatay Kong Nanay ... that was really funny and yet near the end, it was very sad and leave a lump in your throat. Pusong Mamon have a good premise but it was badly written and directed. Too bad, the good cast were not utilized to their fullest potentials.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2002 at 02:11 PM by ßa®tmaniac »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 08:30 AM »
I just remembered

Tubog Sa Ginto
Maruja
Nunal Sa Tubig
Shake Rattle and Roll (the first one)

and some FPJ-Susan Roces comedies like
Mahal Saan Ka Nanggaling Kagabi ?

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 07:47 AM »

Viper, Agila is a good choice !!! I think that's the best FPJ movie ... and I would love to see his movie as a boxer, sort of Rocky Balboa, with Charo Santos and the very young Julie Vega.. I forgot the title of that movie.

You may be referring to Kamaong Asero  ??? or Totoy Bato. I never get to see the movie Totoy Bato but followed up religiously its serialized version in Superstar komiks (Nobela ni Carlo Caparas, Guhit ni Mar Santana  :))

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 08:11 AM »
Viper, I think you are right. I think the title sounds like Durugin Si Totoy Bato.

Should we start an internet campaign so that FPJ Productions would release the following movies on DVD ?

Agila
Durugin Si Totoy Bato
FPJ-Susan Roces comedies like Mahal Saan Ka Nanggaling Kagabi

Well, it's just a thought. If they find out there's a market out there for these classic films, maybe they'll make them after all (wishful thinking ? :-/)

Offline phlong

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 02:38 PM »
I'm rather curious how would our local film industry would restore those old films. Would they do it here or send them to other countries (US probably)? Oh man..I cannot imagine the cost of justifying quality for DVD relase for local consumption.

We may never be able see the light of day for most of those old films that are really worth restoring.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 03:25 PM »
I am not that picky. They can release them on VHS tapes and I'll transfer them to a VCD or something. Sound system/effects in the Philippines are not that great anyway, especially the old ones. I don't really care as long as I get a copy of these classic films. If would be great to see them from time to time ... and make the new generation see how great Pinoy movies were. Great actors, directors, story, and can actually compete with international films in terms of the totality of the film.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 06:36 PM »
If local film companies want to capture the market with our movies, I think they should at least start manufacturing DVDs that are playable in other countries.

I mean there is a considerable number of Filipinos abroad who are willing to buy local films but wouldn't be able to watch them since all of them are R3 encoded. They should at least release an R1 version of these titles or better yet, do away with region encoding and manufacture R0 discs.

Offline sisidapa

• Apprentice
  • ?
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 10:34 PM »
ora pronobis
maynila sa kuko ng liwanag
lucia
pinulot ka lang sa lupa
tinimbang ka ngunit kulang
pare ko
sakay
asero
galawgaw
pacifico falayfay
starzan
booba
mang kepweng
scorpio nights
the boatman
patayin sa sindak si barbara (both versions)
tiyanak
huwag kang hahalik sa diablo

on shake rattle and roll(can they choose which stories) i'd like:
  • ate (with gina alajar)
  • ???? (one with the ghost refrigerator)
  • ??? (one with manilyn reynes and ana roces - town of cannibals)

ei! who knows the movie that stars rebecca sandoval the story was like: she took criminology, her parents(?) died causing her to have a nervous breakdown/got crazy, then she, over and over, listens to this same song.. then she took revenge for her parents' death...
at tayo'y putok sa buho

Offline phlong

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Apr 18, 2001 at 03:07 AM »
Really not a bad idea. I wonder how many Millions of Filipinos there are abroad? Market and financial comparison with regards to the purchasing power compared locally would one prime consideration our local movie production company would consider.

If our local film companies sees that they could get a "bang" by shelling out huge amounts of "bucks" to press DVD of local films, it would be no problem if Region 0 or 3 with the abundance of Codefree and multi-region ("chipped") players.

RCE sucks though.

If local film companies want to capture the market with our movies, I think they should at least start manufacturing DVDs that are playable in other countries.

I mean there is a considerable number of Filipinos abroad who are willing to buy local films but wouldn't be able to watch them since all of them are R3 encoded. They should at least release an R1 version of these titles or better yet, do away with region encoding and manufacture R0 discs.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Apr 18, 2001 at 04:58 PM »
Ora Pronobis was great too... and Sakada by Behn Cervantes.

With all the actors/people in the entertainment business in the Senate and Congress, you'd think at least one of them would have thought of creating something like the American Film Institute that would restore and preserve classic Filipino movies ... ugh !!! This is so frustrating ...

And these movie studios, if they are really businessmen, they should milk their cows in every possible way like what Disney is doing. Disney has been recycling and re-releasing (theather, video or DVD ) their film library since The Little Mermaid made bug bucks back in 1988.

What is happening to the world ???? !!!!!  >:(

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Apr 20, 2001 at 07:23 AM »
Lack of vision? Lack of business sense? Lack of common sense?

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Apr 21, 2001 at 09:07 PM »
Back in 1998, I think it was the 100th Anniversary of Philippine Independence, there was a Film Festival of selected Filipino classics and selected Lino Brocka masterpieces @ the Lincoln Theather in NYC. And this was with the cooperation of Cultural Center of the Philippines. Can someone in Manila find out from CCP if they are selling copies of classic films in VHS/DVD ? I am really desperate and I have no idea how to get in touch with CCP.  ???

Offline sisidapa

• Apprentice
  • ?
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Apr 24, 2001 at 11:01 PM »

With all the actors/people in the entertainment business in the Senate and Congress, you'd think at least one of them would have thought of creating something like the American Film Institute that would restore and preserve classic Filipino movies ... ugh !!! This is so frustrating ...

yeah.. but the actors/movie people who got in the bandwagon were not interested in improving the arts - even when they were in the business they were not there at least to save or improve the industry. they're there for only themselves. di tumatanaw ng utang na loob.. look at gomez, he's wanting to represent MAD in the partylist system rather than the actors' guild or some other movie-business-related org so they can lobby for legislations favoring the industry....
nuff... ;D ;D
at tayo'y putok sa buho

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Apr 25, 2001 at 09:23 AM »

yeah.. but the actors/movie people who got in the bandwagon were not interested in improving the arts - even when they were in the business they were not there at least to save or improve the industry. they're there for only themselves. di tumatanaw ng utang na loob.. look at gomez, he's wanting to represent MAD in the partylist system rather than the actors' guild or some other movie-business-related org so they can lobby for legislations favoring the industry....
nuff... ;D ;D

I know what you're saying. Gone are the days when actors are devoted to their craft. Today, people who are KSP are hogging the limelight and doesn't even bother to improve their "acting abilities". The Philippine entertainment industry is going down the drain ... or maybe it did already.  :'(

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2001 at 08:31 PM »
come to think of it i'd would also like to see .........

darna....!!!!
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2001 at 07:34 AM »

come to think of it i'd would also like to see .........

darna....!!!!

Darna was cool until some fat megastar wore the costume in a cameo role in a forgettable movie ... and until a certain star for all seasons overdid it. The first two were cool.

Dyesebel was cool too. I liked the one with Alice Dixson. I can feel it ! (shampoo plugging) hehehe.

Offline bochog

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2001 at 02:40 AM »
Hi ppl. I have nothing bout local films. But I'll definitely not buy any local film on dvd . :)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2001 at 01:41 PM »

Hi ppl. I have nothing bout local films. But I'll definitely not buy any local film on dvd . :)

Well, if you are looking for magnificent sound or picture quality, sure you wouldn't find them in our local films. I just love the films that I saw when I was growing up in the 70s. I simply think those were the best years in Philippine cinema. Besides, most of us only wanted the classic ones ... not just some cheesy, corny, stupid movies with forgettable titles, storylines and actors.

I do respect your opinion though. I wouldn't buy anything that was made after 1986 ... except for a couple of really good ones like Bayani or Sakay.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2001 at 07:36 PM »
i would like to see the old dolphy films when he was in his prime..like
ibon adarna...and john and marsha sa america :)
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2001 at 08:53 AM »
Here's an interesting list of important Pinoy films from Noel Vera.

http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/fafr/articles/filipino.htm

I liked your choices Noel and enjoyed your observations a lot. Your top eight choices could be switched into any of the top eight positions and it would still be a great list (post-60s).

And yes, finally, someone who's with me about Kisapmata. It is truly a GREAT film, with it's simple story and yet the scenes speaks a lot about the characters and story. The ending alone was worth my time (although totally unexpected for a Filipino film). Thank you !!!

I am just wondering though why the following films didn't make the cut ? I think they are a lot better than the rest of the films in your list (although they didn't start any trend or something like that ):

Ganito Kami Noon, Paano ....
Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo
Kapit sa Patalim
Himala
Itanong Mo Sa Buwan
Aliw
Bona
Batch '81

I would love to know what your thoughts were about these films ... if you have the time...  thanks.  :)

By the way, you seem to be a big Mario O'Hara fan. I think that's great and the guy deserves the recognition that was once afforded only to Brocka, Gerry de Leon, Mike de Leon, Bernal, and their contemporaries.  I love his Nora Aunor movies (Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos, Condemned and Bulaklak ng City Jail).

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2001 at 05:18 AM »
I just hope Noel_Vera sees your post kakabanas. You may want to IM him or something since he tends to limit his visits to the Film & TV Talk forum only (I hope I'm wrong though, his input would be more than welcome in the other fora even though he does not yet own a DVD player. ).

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2001 at 06:48 AM »

I just hope Noel_Vera sees your post kakabanas. You may want to IM him or something since he tends to limit his visits to the Film & TV Talk forum only (I hope I'm wrong though, his input would be more than welcome in the other fora even though he does not yet own a DVD player. ).

Yikes, I know he's a busy guy. Should I write him a plea in the John Woo thread to check out this thread? I see him posts there all the time. I don't want to look like I'm imposing. It's not a big deal. Thanks though.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #84 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 10:14 AM »
Hi, saw kakabanas post by sheer accident.  You could have posted me anytime, I'd be glad to answer.

"Ganito Kami Noon, Paano ....

This was a bitter disappointment.  I've heard so much about this film and when I saw it, I was shock to see how uncinematic it was--it looked like a telecine.  Eddie Romero, as you can also see in Aguila, doesn't really have a filmmaker's eye.  He's more a literate person, the script of the film easily being the best element there.  It is one of the rare attempts by Filipino filmmakers to do winsome light comedy, and it has wonderful performances by Boyet as Kulas, Gloria Diaz as a deceptive seductress (tho you see similarities to between her and the Faye Dunaway character in Little Big Man), and a great comic turn from Leopoldo Salcedo--never thought he had it in him, he's so serious in his other roles.  It's smart and sophisticated up to a point, but it's not really a film.

Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo

Was another disappointment. Lupita Kashiwahara (don't know if spelling's right) doesn't put much subtlety into her films (Babae was strident, but had a great performance from Nora Aunor), and doesn't put much subtlety into this one.  It's a cry of anger and pain, but clumsily done.  The scene where she greets her brother's body, seen today, was unintentionally funny to me, I'm sad to say.

Kapit sa Patalim

Or Bayan Ko.  This is late Lino Brocka, and you only have to see the films from his great period in the '70s to see the difference.  In films like Insiang, Tinimbang, and Maynila, he worked on so many levels--personal, social, theatrical; in his late films, he was mainly political.  I could even tell you the turning point--when he took Jaguar to Cannes, and this film Yol, by Yilmaz Guney, got all the attention because the director was in jail.  That was when he noted how political films travelled better internationally, and this film and Orapronobis are the result.

Mind you, I still do like them--they're superb agitprop, vivid and brilliant posters for the opposition.  But they can't compare to his truly great works.

Himala

Came so very close--it's Bernal's most hallucinatory and surreal work, and prophetic, in that it evokes the lands around Pinatubo and the despair and religious fanaticism of the people living there.  It just got edged out of the list.

Itanong Mo Sa Buwan

Didn't like it.  Something about the complex plot, which was inventive and clever, didn't gell for me.  Also the dialogue felt fake, which is surprising, considering Amando Lao's work for Jeffrey Jeturian and in Takaw Tukso is superb.

Aliw

This I like very much, but again got edged out.  It is much better than his Working Girls.  I also regret not including Relasyon, or Salawahan.  

Bona

ditto.

Batch '81

I did like it, but someone familiar with frats told me where it fails to get the details right and that spoiled it for me somewhat.  I still think it's a wonderful sustained piece of filmmaking, and full of energy (unlike his Sister STella L, which I felt lacked conviction).

And yes, I'm a fan of Mario O'Hara...which I think I can defend in so many words (a LOT of words).  

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 11:35 AM »
THANKS NOEL. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR REACTION TO THE FILMS I MENTIONED. I WAS NOT STARTING A DEBATE, JUST CURIOUS WHY THEY DIDN'T MAKE YOUR CUT.

YOU DON'T NEED TO DEFEND MARIO O'HARA. I THINK HE'S A VERY GOOD DIRECTOR AND DESERVES MORE APPRECIATION.

:)

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 12:33 PM »
Why are you shouting? Surely you know that in netiquette, typing in ALL CAPS means you are shouting?  ;)
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 12:42 PM »

Why are you shouting? Surely you know that in netiquette, typing in ALL CAPS means you are shouting?  ;)

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT. NOW I AM SHOUTING !!!!!

:P

Offline shirtless

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 02:00 PM »

are any of the films in these lists in video?  i would certainly appreciate any  info on where i can get them.
thanks!
btw, i'm in the us.

Here's an interesting list of important Pinoy films from Noel Vera.

http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/fafr/articles/filipino.htm

I liked your choices Noel and enjoyed your observations a lot. Your top eight choices could be switched into any of the top eight positions and it would still be a great list (post-60s).

And yes, finally, someone who's with me about Kisapmata. It is truly a GREAT film, with it's simple story and yet the scenes speaks a lot about the characters and story. The ending alone was worth my time (although totally unexpected for a Filipino film). Thank you !!!

I am just wondering though why the following films didn't make the cut ? I think they are a lot better than the rest of the films in your list (although they didn't start any trend or something like that ):

Ganito Kami Noon, Paano ....
Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo
Kapit sa Patalim
Himala
Itanong Mo Sa Buwan
Aliw
Bona
Batch '81

I would love to know what your thoughts were about these films ... if you have the time...  thanks.  :)

By the way, you seem to be a big Mario O'Hara fan. I think that's great and the guy deserves the recognition that was once afforded only to Brocka, Gerry de Leon, Mike de Leon, Bernal, and their contemporaries.  I love his Nora Aunor movies (Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos, Condemned and Bulaklak ng City Jail).

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 02:07 PM »

are any of the films in these lists in video?  i would certainly appreciate any  info on where i can get them.
thanks!
btw, i'm in the us.

I know someone who said he knows somebody in New Jersey who can get some of them on video. He's going there on the 16th. I'll post it here if he's really got them.