Author Topic: Pinoy Films You'd Like To See on DVD  (Read 118255 times)

Offline GENDEMMIT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pinoy Films You'd Like To See on DVD
« Reply #90 on: Jun 09, 2001 at 03:46 AM »
 I believe there's a site called www.pilipinosuperstore.com that has Tagalog videos.  Not sure wether they have these specific titles, though.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Jun 09, 2001 at 04:28 AM »

I believe there's a site called www.pilipinosuperstore.com that has Tagalog videos.  Not sure wether they have these specific titles, though.

Nope, they don't have them ....  :(

Offline Homeland

• Kapitan
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #92 on: Jun 09, 2001 at 07:31 AM »
You may also want to try http://www.divisoria.net/movies.html

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #93 on: Jun 09, 2001 at 02:10 PM »
Most of the films on my list and mentioned on this thread are shown on Cinema One, on Skycable.  

I don't know about VHS tapes or dvds, sorry.

Kabakana, I know you weren't questioning my admiration of O'Hara.  Just confessing a weakness of mine--Iif I really like the filmmaker or his films, I can talk about them for hours.  

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Jun 10, 2001 at 10:15 PM »
If no one objects, my Singapore Film Festival article on Mario O'Hara:

The Quiet Man

Noel Vera

Ask any critic of Asian cinema to name the great Filipino filmmakers and they will in all probability mention Lino Brocka ("Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag" [Manila in the Claws of Neon], "Insiang"), perhaps Ishmael Bernal ("Himala" [Miracle], "Manila By Night").  If said critic has more than a casual knowledge of Philippine cinema he or she might add Mike De Leon ("Kisapmata" [Blink of an Eye]), Celso Ad. Castillo ("Burlesk Queen," "Pagputi ng Uwak, Pagitim ng Tagak" [When the Crow Turns White, When the Heron Turns Black]), Eddie Romero ("Ganito Kami Ngayon; Paano Kayo Noon?" [We Were Like This Then; What Are You Like Now?]) or Lupita Concio, ("Minsa'y Isang Gamu-Gamo" [Sometimes There Is A Moth]).  

Rarely, if ever, does the name Mario O'Hara come up; mention his name to any Asian film critic--even, until recently, to any Filipino film critic--and all you will get is a blank stare and profound silence.  This is understandable--O'Hara tends to stay in the background and rarely (actually, never) bothers to promote himself as a filmmaker, much less a filmmaker that deserves international stature.  Yet he was as much a force in the seventies and eighties as any of these names, and in a more varied range of guises--not just as filmmaker but as actor and writer as well.  He wrote the screenplay for two of Brocka's best works--"Insiang" (1976), about a girl (Hilda Koronel) raped by her mother's lover (Ruel Vernal), and "Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang" [You Were Weighed and Found Wanting, 1974], about a boy named Junior (Christopher de Leon) growing up in a small provincial town.  O'Hara, incidentally, gives a great performance in "Tinimbang" as Berto, the town leper and Junior's adoptive father.    

O'Hara's first three film projects showed a daring and ambitious artist in development.  "Mortal" (1975), about a man who went insane and killed his wife, was a dark and experimental work (O'Hara begins the story inside the man's psychotic fantasies, from which gradually emerges the story of what really happened).  It was a failure at the box-office and was one of the reasons Brocka's film production company, Cinemanila, folded.  

For his second project O'Hara was given a big-budgeted historical epic starring popular actress Nora Aunor, as a young provincial girl struggling to survive during the Japanese Occupation.  "Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos" [Three Years Without God, 1976] represented a quantum leap in scope and filmmaking skill for O'Hara, and is regarded by many as his finest film.  

For his third project O'Hara wrote and directed most of "Mga Bilanggong Birhen" [The Captive Virgins, 1977], but left before shooting ended; the picture was finished without him.  The film, about women at the turn of the century surviving oppression in a patriarchal family, achieves moments of intense feeling and lyricism despite its unpolished state.  

There is a subgenre where Filipino filmmakers try to create their version of Manila as a lower circle of Hell; examples range from Brocka's classic "Maynila sa Kuko Ng Liwanag" to Ishmael Bernal's "Manila By Night."  From 1984 to 1986, O'Hara directed not one but three films set in Manila.  "Condemned" (1984) is a noir thriller about a brother and sister on the run and the gang-lord matriarch that wants them both dead; "Bulaklak sa City Jail" [Flowers of the City Jail, 1985] is about a pregnant woman in prison.  "Bagong Hari" [The Neoteric King, 1986] is an intensely nihilistic action film about a professional killer who takes revenge on the people who have wronged him.  Taken together, O'Hara's "Manila Trilogy" represents a range of genres (from noir to drama to action) and social milieu (from street hustlers to women convicts to an almost alternate-reality vision of Manila) that few Filipino filmmakers have even approached in terms of sweep and intensity.

In 1998, after years of relative inactivity, O'Hara wrote and directed a pair of films: "Babae Sa Bubungang Lata" [Woman on a Tin Roof] is O'Hara's elegy to the Filipino film industry, a heartfelt celebration of what it once was and a scathing critique of what it is now.  Shot in ten days and made for a mere 2.5 million pesos ($60,000), the film's technical crudity actually becomes part of its style--as if the poor, desperate people the film is about had gone behind the camera and made the film themselves.  His "Sisa" is perhaps the most radical reinterpretation of Philippine national hero Jose Rizal yet made, with Rizal involved in a passionate love affair with Sisa, his most famous literary creation.  O'Hara's latest film, "Pangarap ng Puso" [Hope of the Heart, 2000], is a boy-meets-girl love story set in the violent political turmoil of the Negros provinces.  In its mix of mythological folklore and actual military atrocities, it evokes the fantastical yet at the same time grimly realistic fiction of Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Some qualities of O'Hara worth mentioning--he is one of the few Filipino filmmakers still active today who is not exclusively film-literate, or even film-oriented.  He readily admits to having never seen a film by Jean Renoir, Jean-Luc Godard, Federico Fellini, Sergei Eisenstein, D. W. Griffith, or Buster Keaton.  Unlike Brocka or Bernal or practically any significant Filipino filmmaker you can mention, he never went to a major university like the University of the Philippines or the Ateneo de Manila, but instead studied chemical engineering in the less prestigious Adamson University (from which he never graduated).  He actually started his career in radio, having landed a role in a Proctor and Gamble radio show in 1963.  He met Brocka in 1968, joining his television series "Balintataw," then acted for him in "Tubog sa Ginto" [Dipped in Gold].  Brocka also talked him into going into theater, and he joined the prestigious Philippine Experimental Theater Association (PETA), starring in the original theater production of "Bubungang Lata."  He still occasionally works in theater, having played Mephistopheles in a 1995 Filipino translation of Goethe's "Faust," and Mack the Knife in a production of "The Threepenny Opera" [Operang Tatlong Pera, 1999].  He won first prize from the 1998 Philippine Centennial Commission for his first-ever published play, a "zarzuela" (an indigenous form of musical drama) titled "Palasyo ni Valentin" (The Palace of Valentin).  It's a gothic love story between an actress and a piano player working in a "zarzuela" theater, and it covers a period stretching from the end of the nineteenth century to the beginning of World War 2.

He has worked effectively with both large budgets ("Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos") and small ("Babae sa Bubungang Lata"), but it is with the smaller budgets that he works his miracles.  He notes that while his films don't often make much money, they don't lose money either, because their production costs are so small.  

The results are far from perfect--"Sisa" and "Pangarap ng Puso" (both made for around $60 to $70,000) suffer from less-than-perfect camerawork (out-of-focus shots, dim lighting) and an embarrassing lack of production design (papier-mâché prison cells, Styrofoam skulls, a helicopter sequence without the helicopter)--but O'Hara compensates with sheer moviemaking technique.  Because he is from theater, he is unafraid of on-camera or "theatrical" tricks; he may use them even if they look bad, because he is often able to "finesse" the result with judicious cutting--and in fact, editing is a consistent strength in O'Hara's films.  

(to be continued)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Jun 10, 2001 at 10:16 PM »
(cont'd)

O'Hara admits that editing is often an act of "salamangka" (black magic) for him.  He's able to trick the audience into thinking a poor effect works, or a bad shot is less than awful (because it doesn't last long), or a poor performance is actually good (because all the overacting has been trimmed).  At the same time, this rapid-fire editing style often gives his films a nervous, unsettled quality--as if they were the work of a restless storyteller, trying to pull a tale together from various disparate elements.  

O'Hara has said he edits his films like radio shows…and you can see this from the deft use of transitional voiceovers, bridging musical cues, sound effects; you also see this from the swift way his scenes begin, develop, end (in radio, silence [not pauses in dialogue, there is a difference] is called "dead air"--not a good thing).  When asked what he thought of Orson Welles' "Citizen Kane" (Welles, it must be remembered, also worked in radio and theater before coming to film), O'Hara had only one comment: "It's so radio!"

O'Hara spends part of his time writing for television, radio, theater, and film; he spends part of his time earning bread and butter in either radio or television (for one year he directed "Flordeluna," a well-known Filipino TV soap opera).  Rarely, he acts; even more rarely, he directs a film (he shot "Babae sa Bubungang Lata" and "Sisa" back-to-back in a gruelingly sleepless period of thirty days).  The rest of his time he spends walking (he has been known to wander the streets from Binondo to Luneta Park for a distance of several kilometers) and talking to people.  He claims that most of his stories and characters are inspired by people he encounters while walking the streets; in fact, the conceit of his "Sisa" is that Jose Rizal could not have created so vivid a character without knowing (or falling in love with, or making love to) her in real life.  He claims that the story of "Insiang" was inspired by what happened to his back-yard neighbors in Pasay City, and that the one false note in Brocka's otherwise excellent film was in setting it in Tondo, Manila.  Hilda's beauty would have been instantly recognizable in Tondo, while in Pasay, which is full of red-light districts, she would have been taken to be just another prostitute (Brocka made the switch because he wanted the visual drama of Tondo's slums).  

O'Hara has been linked to Lino Brocka, particularly in the early years when they worked in collaboration; it's wrong, however, to call him Brocka's imitator.  While he's every bit as capable of the social realism that is Brocka's specialty ("Babae sa Bubungang Lata"), he is also adept in other genres--historical epic ("Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos"); horror ("Halimaw sa Banga" [Monster in a Jar, 1985]); and gothic drama ("The Fatima Buen Story," 1994).  He is also Brocka's superior when it comes to making noir ("Condemned'), and action pictures ("Bagong Hari")--there is a fluidity. coherence, and visual imaginativeness to his action sequences that Brocka never quite managed to achieved.

A final difference: Brocka tended to paint the world in Manichean terms of "us vs. them," "good vs. evil."  This was true in "Maynila Sa Kuko Ng Liwanag," where the hero's innocence ultimately remained unsullen, and only intensified in his later films--in "Bayan Ko" (My Country), and "Orapronobis" (Fight For Us), the central figures were mere walking allegories, making ideological points for the audience.  It was, however, not true of O'Hara's scripts for Brocka; they retain a many-sided complexity Brocka lost as his cinema grew increasingly political.

In "Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang," the leper played by O'Hara is first seen as a rapist, while the film's villainous patriarch (Eddie Garcia) is given his moments of nostalgia and regret.  In "Insiang"--possibly Brocka's finest work--the line between good and evil disappears completely; by film's end, you can look at each of the three main characters--Insiang (Hilda Koronel), her mother (Mona Lisa), and her mother's lover (Ruel Vernal)--and honestly say you don't know who was wronged, or who the wrongdoer; who was the victim and who the rapist.  

It was ever so in O'Hara's work; he never follows trends, never goes for what is politically or culturally fashionable, never makes films for the international film festival circuit.  "Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos" was attacked when it came out for its sympathetic portrayal of the wartime Japanese.  "Fatima Buen" was controversial for its unlikable, almost irredeemable heroine.  "Bagong Hari" was rated "X" by the Board of Censors not just because of its violence, but also because everyone in it was morally repulsive--even the hero, a modest and caring young man, is an accomplished killer with a long list of victims.  "Pangarap ng Puso" failed in the boxoffice presumably because it was dark and uncategorizable--the shy, sensitive boy (Alex Alano) becomes a feared terrorist (who somehow retains something of the boy deep inside him) while the equally shy girl (Matet de Leon) finds herself picking up a gun by film's end and using it.  If, as Renoir once famously put it, "everyone has his reasons," O'Hara's films demonstrate Renoir's proposition in intensely dramatic, unmistakably Filipino terms.

A final word: Jolicco Cuadra, an elderly maverick of an art critic and a formidable (some say impenetrable) prose stylist, considers O'Hara the finest Filipino filmmaker he knows--this having seen the films and met the likes of Lino Brocka, Ishmael Bernal, Eddie Romero, even Gerardo De Leon (not to mention--or so he claims--Orson Welles and Vittorio de Sica, way back when he was a young scholar in France…but that's another story…).  One of Cuadra's favorite films of O'Hara is "Bagong Hari," and of the lead star of "Hari," Dan Alvaro, he had this to say: "(Dan) was perfect.  So quiet!  Real killers are like that.  The loud man walking down the street, threatening death, I don't notice.  I'm afraid of the quiet man."  That's an observation he might just as easily have made of the film's maker as well.

(Article originally published in the 14th Singapore International Film Festival catalogue, as part of the tribute to Mario O'Hara)

(With thanks to Philip Cheah)

(Singapore International Film Festival website located at http://www.filmfest.org.sg)

Offline Krazyfu_tangerine

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Pchan, oink oink!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #96 on: Jun 22, 2001 at 07:52 AM »
movies i would love to see on dvd.
1.Zuma (the green snake guy)
2.Anak ng Zuma
3.Shake Rattle and roll box set (7 movies i think)
4.Anak
5.Bulaklak ng maynila
6.Darna and Kaptain Barbell (box set)
7.Panday (fpj???)
8.Gangland
9.Sana Maulit Muli
10.Tiyanak
* these are the only ones i can remember right now.

Offline JepX

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Jun 23, 2001 at 03:11 AM »
I'd like to see The Jose Rizal movie
that starred Cesar Montano released
on DVD.
If Ya Smeeellllllll....

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Jun 28, 2001 at 03:04 PM »
My favorite is _Jaguar_.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Jun 29, 2001 at 11:36 AM »

are you a golfer?

as to getting back on topic here...
although some filipino titles has surfaced on dvd,
i heard that the video and audio is not dvd quaility!
so i think i would hold off on buying a filipino dvd
until they can show me one that has a dolby 5.1 mix and a Widescreen anamorphic format.

I am not a golfer but I do gulp a lot (corny no? LOL). But hey, I'll be spending the second weekend of August in Myrtle Beach to visit some friends.

Getting back to the topic, are you nuts ??? Have you seen any NEW Filipino movie in a theater ? The picture quality and sound can be compared to the ones made back in the 70s. How do you expect that to translate to dvd quality ? You are expecting too much and heading for a very huge disappointment. Philippine cinema is NEVER going to progress as long as there are producers running the industry who are content in making quickie movies with low budgets, tired subject matter, second class equipments.  They only care if the movie is commercially viable and have good actors.

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Jun 29, 2001 at 11:24 PM »
But are technical achievements the only things that matter? I've seen a battered copy of _Jaguar_, and I see it as far superior to any of the Hollywood movies released on DVD today. In fact I've reached that stage where I've seen too many U.S. movies with special effects that I'm now more keen on plot, character development, and acting, with cinematography, editing, and music as secondary aspects.

I am not a golfer but I do gulp a lot (corny no? LOL). But hey, I'll be spending the second weekend of August in Myrtle Beach to visit some friends.

Getting back to the topic, are you nuts ??? Have you seen any NEW Filipino movie in a theater ? The picture quality and sound can be compared to the ones made back in the 70s. How do you expect that to translate to dvd quality ? You are expecting too much and heading for a very huge disappointment. Philippine cinema is NEVER going to progress as long as there are producers running the industry who are content in making quickie movies with low budgets, tired subject matter, second class equipments.  They only care if the movie is commercially viable and have good actors.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Jun 30, 2001 at 07:21 AM »

But are technical achievements the only things that matter? I've seen a battered copy of _Jaguar_, and I see it as far superior to any of the Hollywood movies released on DVD today. In fact I've reached that stage where I've seen too many U.S. movies with special effects that I'm now more keen on plot, character development, and acting, with cinematography, editing, and music as secondary aspects.

Hey, I'm with you danzig. If you read my previous posts on this thread, I mentioned that I wasn't asking for too much, even a VHS copy would do. I was just saying if people want a Filipino movie on dvd and expect dvd quality picture and sound, they better look the other way coz it ain't gonna happen baby. Not in this lifetime !

And if I remember it right, Jaguar was a really good film by Lino Brocka. Was that the one with Philip Salvador as a security guard ? This was in the 70s ... before he did Ina Ka Ng Anak Mo and Bona ...

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jun 30, 2001 at 10:00 AM »

i'm just a weekend golfer, and most of the time i would bring a six pack on my bag and gulp when i golf ;D.

for the past 10 years i have not seen any NEW Filipino movie in a theater :-[ , just from rental vhs tapes...

that is sad to hear that our new movies are so technically behind. i guess, i would just continue renting filipino movies on vhs tapes :-/
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Jun 30, 2001 at 01:59 PM »
If you're interested, you can borrow a copy at Video 48. The address is 48 West Ave. in QC.

Hey, I'm with you danzig. If you read my previous posts on this thread, I mentioned that I wasn't asking for too much, even a VHS copy would do. I was just saying if people want a Filipino movie on dvd and expect dvd quality picture and sound, they better look the other way coz it ain't gonna happen baby. Not in this lifetime !

And if I remember it right, Jaguar was a really good film by Lino Brocka. Was that the one with Philip Salvador as a security guard ? This was in the 70s ... before he did Ina Ka Ng Anak Mo and Bona ...

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Jun 30, 2001 at 07:59 PM »

If you're interested, you can borrow a copy at Video 48. The address is 48 West Ave. in QC.

They have the old Filipino classic films on VHS ???? That's great. I can ask a friend of mine to check them out. Thanks.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Jul 01, 2001 at 11:54 AM »
Jaguar was 1979, same year (and yes, probably before) Ina Ka ng Anak Mo and Bona (1980).

Jaguar has a terrible video copy, but the film on the big screen--with cinematography by the great Conrado Baltazar--is memorably noir, particularly the final chase through Smoky Mountain, which with its smoking fires and darkly terrifying shapes could very nicely substitute for one of the lower circles of Hell (all you need are pitchforks).  

That said, just getting these films on DVD and video would be an enormous help--it would disseminate them to people and remind us underconfident people that we did--and still do, in rare cases--great films, that went to Cannes (I'd like to see Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich go Cannes).  I'd take Jaguar, which has more honesty and urgency and realism, over Spielberg's sugarcoated Schindler's List, or romanticized Privete Ryan.  

And three films out on VHS, bad transfer, I consider brilliant--Babae sa Bubungang Lata, Sisa, and Pangarap ng Puso.  All made for $50,000, which wouldn't cover Julia Roberts' hairdo expense.  But I'd rather watch these films than her entire ouevre (sp?), Erin Brockvich included.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Jul 01, 2001 at 05:16 PM »

I'd take Jaguar, which has more honesty and urgency and realism, over Spielberg's sugarcoated Schindler's List, or romanticized Privete Ryan.  

But I'd rather watch these films than her entire ouevre (sp?), Erin Brockvich included.

I think comparing honesty, urgency and realism between foreign and local films was not fair. We know where Smoky Mountains are and know people who have lived such life, meaning we know how it is and was in the Philippines. When watching Filipino films, we can relate since it's our culture and environment. None of us were ever in a war, experienced what a Jew went through, or complained about contaminated water that we drink everyday. Sure they were romanticized, but does that necessarily mean they were not honest or close to reality ? Even Lino Brocka romanticized some of his films (like using Ligaya Paraiso I think as a name for one of her characters)...

But we all look at things differently. I am not trying to start a debate, just writing what my tiny brain was thinking... ::)

And just an FYI, SPR's plot, saving one soldier in the middle of the war, does not sit with me well either. ;)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Jul 02, 2001 at 03:40 AM »
Actually, it's not that simple--I've seen a few docs and feature films on the Holocaust and World War 2, while I've never seen Smoky Mountain except from a distance (could smell it, though).

And I really, really don't make a difference between Filipino films and foreign films--treat them both the same way.  The results can be surprising.

Yeah, a little debate is healthy for the mind, but too much can leave a sour taste on the tongue :)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Jul 03, 2001 at 10:29 PM »

Jaguar was 1979, same year (and yes, probably before) Ina Ka ng Anak Mo and Bona (1980).

I knew it. I remember Ina Ka Ng Anak Mo winning Best Actress for both Nora Aunor and Lolita Rodriguez in the annual Metro Manila Filmfest. I think the film swept the major awards with wins by Raul (turned Raoul) Aragon, Brocka and the film as Best Picture.  ;)

Offline radzeykimosabi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Jul 16, 2001 at 11:46 PM »
;D Ang Panday Box Set, sana DTS at may Special Features pa

8) Nino Muhlach Collection (nung bulilit pa sya) especially Bokyo. Sana may commentary at storyboard!
"In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape by sight! Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power Green Lantern's light!" - Green Lantern Oath.

Offline dividinoy

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Jul 22, 2001 at 08:21 PM »
Tinimbang ang Langit (C. de Leon & Kuh Ledesma)
Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang ( C. de Leon & Lolita Rodriguez)
Real good old movies like:
   Maruja (Susan Roces)
   Adriana (Amalia Fuentes)
   Wanted Perfect Mother (Boots Anson Roa)
   Dolphy & Pilar Pilapil movies
   Igorota (Charito Solis)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Jul 22, 2001 at 11:24 PM »
The print and negative of Wanted: Perfect Mother, Lino Brocka's first ever film, is gone forever.

Cherry Blossoms is going fast.

Tubog sa Guinto is gone.

Same with Burlesk Queen.

I think we are going to have a very limited DVD collection.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Jul 23, 2001 at 12:03 PM »

The print and negative of Wanted: Perfect Mother, Lino Brocka's first ever film, is gone forever.

Cherry Blossoms is going fast.

Tubog sa Guinto is gone.

Same with Burlesk Queen.

I think we are going to have a very limited DVD collection.

How did you find out ?  :-[Aside from being Lino's first, I don't care much for Wanted Perfect Mother (The Sound of Music rip off) but Tubog sa Ginto and Burlesk Queen ? Oh man !
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Jul 24, 2001 at 09:39 AM »
I have my sources.

Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos has only one print left.

Bagong Hari has disappeared, and the producer is dead.

Gerry De Leon's Dyesebel, 48 Oras, the crucial reel of Moises Padilla Story, El Filibusterismo...all gone.

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Jul 24, 2001 at 10:55 AM »

I have my sources.

Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos has only one print left.

Bagong Hari has disappeared, and the producer is dead.

Gerry De Leon's Dyesebel, 48 Oras, the crucial reel of Moises Padilla Story, El Filibusterismo...all gone.

Gerry Deleon? Great filipino film taste. My compliments Noel

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Jul 24, 2001 at 11:40 AM »
Great taste--IF I had actually seen the films.  Of the ones mentioned, I've seen El Filibusterismo (One of the greatest Filipino films ever made) and Moises Padilla (a great, riveting performance from Joseph Estrada, no less!).  The rest I might never see.

We are losing our heritage, folks.  We are losing our collective memory, these films, and any memory at all of our past greatness--and we were great.  Brocka went to Cannes and Berlin.  O'Hara's film, if it ever survives, may be similarly appreciated.  James Agee loved Manuel Conde's Ganghis Khan; David Lean appreciated Gerry De Leon and even today, there are French film critics who place De Leon in the same league with Fritz Lang.  

All that gone, if no one does anything about this.  

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Jul 24, 2001 at 04:21 PM »
That is truly sad, Noel. Something has really got to be done to preserve our films. As a simple consumer, I really don't see what I can do about it, except to patronize them if they're available. If these films become available at some point in DVD, heck even in VCD, I'd be the first to buy them all up....

It's a shame about those films whose prints are long gone. But who knows? Some of them may pull a "Passion of Joan of Arc", a film long known to be lost to fire until a complete copy in perfect condition was discovered in the closet of a Norweigan mental institution in 1981...

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Jul 24, 2001 at 04:48 PM »
 Me too, I will surely buy them DVD or VCD. I hope there is a some kind of movie museum or movie archive that store all the movies from the beginning up to the present. And release them little by little. . I will surely want to watch those movies I'd miss before or i already forgot
There's something to learn everyday

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Jul 24, 2001 at 08:33 PM »

Some of them may pull a "Passion of Joan of Arc", a film long known to be lost to fire until a complete copy in perfect condition was discovered in the closet of a Norweigan mental institution in 1981...

Hmmm ... maybe we should check out the one in Mandaluyong. Who know what we'll find in there ? LOL. <Sorry Komikero, just couldn't resist>

But seriously, in my ealier post, I would even buy a VHS copy of these films and transfer them myself. I think some TV stations have copies of them but I don't think they can reproduce them coz of copyright laws. Doesn't University of the Philippines have some sort of film archives?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Jul 26, 2001 at 11:37 AM »
The best archive is ABS-CBN, 24 hours aircon.

But the best collection is in CCP.  ONly aircon in daytime, not good enough.

VHS recordings aren't as clear.  Neither is DVD. The best is a film print, also the most lasting.  

They are proposing an archive.  Some say Mt. Makiling; others say Tagaytay.  No real money, nothing concrete put up yet.

It's not sad.  It's infuriating.  I've been trying to get Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos restored for years.