Author Topic: Suggestion: Change of Forum Policy  (Read 22688 times)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Suggestion: Change of Forum Policy
« Reply #30 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 06:03 PM »

I'll give you a hint.  You cited 3 points.  None of those points is correct, they're just common misconceptions. 

To prove that I'm not trollling, I will not respond to any replies, just as I did not respond to sir indie boi's Reply # 4 above.

Really?  No disrespect Bro but right now I have over 200 titles of high def rips (HD-DVD, BD, HDTV) in 720p and 1080p (still in MKV containers - no time to convert them to DVD compatible format).   That's close to 1.5TB of data I've downloaded since October 2007.  If you'd like to visit my house in Pasig in June 2008 when my wife goes back to Manila, I'll prove to you 200x that my 3 points are not misconceptions (but you need to spare about 400 hours of course, and I won't pay your hourly legal fees ok  ;D).  Of course they are my opinions based on my eyes, my families eyes, my close friends eyes, and 3 other members' (of PinoyDVD) eyes to whom I gave 500GB of high def data last Xmas. 

If you can match my r*pped high def data with any real data, then I MIGHT reconsider my position.   Bring me your best PQ original R1 or R2 superbit DVD.  Fair enough?   Based on what I've seen thus far, nope, I'm not hallucinating (yet), and I'm certainly not exaggerating.   ;D ;D ;D

Personally, I don't think it's even fair to compare DVDs even with r*pped HDs.

BTW just to be clear, I have nothing to do with the sellers in Quiapo.  Last time I went to Raon area was in 1988 ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2008 at 06:20 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 06:30 PM »
As promised, I will not respond.

Pero nag-post pa rin ako kasi baka isipin mo hindi ko nabasa yung reply mo.  ;)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 10:11 PM »

In any case, what else is there to discuss other than the fact that hd-dvd and bd rips converted to DVD compatible format have very much better PQ than original DVDs, have reasonably acceptable AQ depending on the authoring, but certainly lack special features due to memory constraints?

From where I sit, I could think of some discussion scenarios on bootleg titles that would be censored under the present policy. Let me cite some:

(1) when a poster asks if title X is now available on DVD, will this site allow an answer like:  "Yes, Quiapo stall #5 has a DVD9 BD copy of that title since last month."

(2) when a poster complains about title X being grainy or not up to par with what he thinks it should look like, will this site allow a poster to post:  "Well, you can try out the BD copy at Quiapo stall #5 as its bitrate is higher than the Y-Interaction copy you have."

(3) when a poster asks what DVD titles are now available for this week or month, will this site allow a response like: "these are the titles on BD and HD DVD copies you can find at YP or BF Ruins just freshly delivered."

(4) when a poster responds saying that title X is now available on 2-disc steelbook for P1200, will this site allow another poster to add: "it's also available on 2-disc DVD9 in Coastal Mall at P150 with higher bitrates."

(5) when a poster asks if upsampling SD DVD would look good on his 42" LCD, will this site allow a response like:  "Try the BD copy of title X which at 9mpbs bitrate looks more gorgeous upscaled than what you get at Astral XL."

Those types of responses basically comprise the core of my suggestion.  It's simply recognizing and accepting the alternative sources as a normal part of any DVD discussion.  ;D  I won't even want a separate section on bootlegs.  Just treat them like any DVD retail outlet.  All, except engaging in bootleg trade.

At the end of the day, it's all up to the poster/consumer to decide based on the alternatives.  If the OP responds:  "Ok thanks, but I prefer legits."  then fine, that should end all alternative recommendations for the OP.  And with no legal infirmity to consider, I don't see how that would be difficult for a forum to allow, is it? 

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2008 at 10:34 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 06:34 AM »
Make sure you get a fast DSL connection.  Downloading 720 and 1080 movie files can take days per title at the slow speeds they have.  That's really the next trend in HT moving forwards - no more physical discs. ;D

I also do the same for music files,  It's been months since I last bought a CD.  Those APE (lossless) and 320kbps mp3 albums are just great.  I really hope local ISPs deliver real broadband of at least 1mbps throughput to the household so I can start downloading HD video files too without having to wait long.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2008 at 06:37 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 10:21 AM »
Are we allowed to discuss the question "how do you go about ripping original HD DVD or BD titles for personal use? - dummy level guideline"...that would be an extremely informative exchange of info right?.. and I don't think it would benefit the pirates because they know these things already...or should we keep this kind of topic at PM level?
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2008 at 10:30 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #35 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 10:52 AM »
Ripping for personal use isn't an issue. The DVD-ROM thread has a number of topics specific towards DVD backups and that's never been a problem.

Okay, despite the comments raised so far, I have to agree with barrister's observation: PinoyDVD's brand isn't really compatible with piracy. In fact, more than ever, it's known for the contrary - being a credible forum for legitimate releases. How "legitimate" is, in fact, an arguable point since it's always been tricky to balance this site's brazen support for other region releases, particularly R1, which is a very, very gray area for the OMB and distributors. You can see how complicated this situation already is.

Frankly speaking, PinoyDVD doesn't really gain anything from re-opening the piracy thread, and worse, it may take a credibility hit in the long run. It's also a moderating nightmare which, as I mentioned before, is one of the major reasons why we closed it in the first place.

We're keeping with the status quo for now. Again, I'd like to stress that if anyone wants to put up a forum or mailing list specific to piracy, PinoyDVD will obviously not stand in your way. It's a free country (and an even freer Internet last I checked). Like "The Q", we'll point people in your direction if they ask.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 11:33 AM »
Again, I'd like to stress that if anyone wants to put up a forum or mailing list specific to piracy, PinoyDVD will obviously not stand in your way. It's a free country (and an even freer Internet last I checked). Like "The Q", we'll point people in your direction if they ask. 

:D  I certainly appreciate your efforts in phrasing that part as politely as possible.  :D

==============================================

Kulang yata sa uniformity ang policies ng forum natin.

Kay sir firewired, OK lang ang links:

Like "The Q", we'll point people in your direction if they ask. 

Kay sir Kahon, hindi:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=78227.msg800466#msg800466
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM by barrister »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 12:20 PM »
Kulang yata sa uniformity ang policies ng forum natin.

Kay sir firewired, OK lang ang links:

Kay sir Kahon, hindi:

I thought someone would bring that up. :D

Actually we allow the link but the post/thread is supposed to be transferred to the piracy archive. Kahon's actually following the proper procedure.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 01:12 PM »
Thanks for the super-quick reply.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2008 at 01:12 PM by barrister »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 01:30 PM »
Sure thing barrister.

Since this thread has run its course, can we consider the matter closed? If there are no objections, I'd like to lock it and move it to the Piracy Archive.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #40 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 04:06 PM »
Since this point has been raised (and it's not the first time), any other members who'd like to share their thoughts and suggestions/comments?

Mr speaker .... -- after having heard the pros and cons to the issue on hand will you allow that we now proceed to voting?

We fully understand that change of policy is confined within your power. The matter of voting on the issue about a change of policy is just intended for records purposes.thank you.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2008 at 04:14 PM by jerix »
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 04:34 PM »
Not sure how we can actually subject this to a vote, but by all means, chime in with your position.

(Oh wait... did I just take your post too seriously?  ;D Sorry, long day.)
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2008 at 05:23 PM by firewired »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 06:45 AM »
Not sure how we can actually subject this to a vote, but by all means, chime in with your position.

I can open a POLL on the subject in the General DVD Discussion section where more members visit.  Unless the moderator there locks it again like he did the first time.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 07:52 AM »
When I said "chime in", I meant jerix was welcome to post an opinion. Subjecting the issue to an actual poll, particularly, in the DVD Discussion area will only cause confusion on PinoyDVD's current position on the matter.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2008 at 08:06 AM by firewired »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #44 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 07:56 AM »
it seems Firewired is amenable to the suggestion though the voting is just for records purposes. I for one respects the reasons of the owners for banning such discussion in this forum.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #45 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 08:07 AM »
Since this thread has run its course, can we consider the matter closed? If there are no objections, I'd like to lock it and move it to the Piracy Archive.

And with that word from jerix, I second this motion.  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...