Author Topic: Bitrate quality of DVDs  (Read 2639 times)

Offline upinsmoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bitrate quality of DVDs
« on: Apr 26, 2008 at 11:03 AM »
I'm still amazed by the picture quality of Ghost Rider.  The average bitrate is 7.8 mb/sec.  The same with Fantastic Four 2, which is at 7.64 mb/sec.  They match or even surpassed the superbit DVDs I've bought.  I understand why all DVDs can't have superbit quality because they have to fit the special features for added value.

Most of the new titles are in 2 DVD set.  One disc for the movie while the second one is for the special features.  With almost 9 GB of space dedicated for the movie alone, why can't 7 mb/sec be the standard?

I was watching 28 Days Later last night.  The picture quality was good back when I first bought it because I had a smaller TV.  Now that I'm playing it on a larger size TV, the picture quality becomes below average.  It's very blurry, grainy, and pixelated.  The average bitrate is 5.39 mb/sec.  Even today they are still releasing titles in low bit-rate quality such as Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (4.83 mb/sec).

What do you guys think?  I think if all new titles are released in high bitrate like Ghost Rider, it would prolong the life of DVDs.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2008 at 11:18 AM by upinsmoke »

Offline jiggs84

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Bitrate quality of DVDs
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2008 at 06:08 PM »

this is great information.
how were you able to determine the bit rate of the movies you are watching?
what tool/instrument are you using?

thanks...
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2008 at 06:42 PM »
Many DVD players have a menu option to display bitrates.  Otherwise, you can play the DVD on the PC and most video playback software like PowerDVD gives you the option to display this information while playing. 

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 09:36 AM »
Many DVD players have a menu option to display bitrates.  Otherwise, you can play the DVD on the PC and most video playback software like PowerDVD gives you the option to display this information while playing. 

thanks for the info. maybe mine does not have one. its an HTIB -samsung. will try to check it out.
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 12:55 PM »
you might want to try pressing the display key on your remote, for pioneer players this will display several info regarding the DVD. Hope this helps  ;)

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 01:12 PM »

okay will do that.
i recall some of the infor being shown when pressed is the time, chapter, DTS/DD, Video angles, no. of subtitles... will try to look further if there is information regarding the bitrate...
thanks
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 04:00 PM »
Pardon the ignorance gentlemen,

Does it mean that the higher bitrate transfer of our beloved DVDs, the better the video and audio quality,
I tried to research on this, but all articles seems debatable...

Regards,
ABC

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2008 at 08:36 AM »
You could verify it out yourself and experiment with some image files on a PC using an image editing tool.

Take a pic with a digital camera set to capture and save on TIF file format at maximum resolution.  Upload that to a PC.  A TIF file is uncompressed bitmap image.  Using the same resolution, save it as a 20% compressed JPG file and another at 90% compressed JPG file.  The former has a higher file size than the other, indicating a higher bit information than the other - equivalent to your bitrate in video or moving images.  A bitrate is just the number of bit information flowing to your display per second. 

Similarly, our beloved DVD uses compressed video file information - with about 16 frames per second or 16 compressed images each one is just like your compressed jpg files.  The higher the bit information, the more details and color information you get per image in the mpeg2 video file. 

Just FYI:

Video bitrates at 1.5mbps is VCD quality, 4mbps-6mbps is DVD quality (at 480i), 7mbps - 9mbps is Superbit DVD quality, 15mbps - 18mbps is HDTV broadcast quality(typically at 720p), 35mbps - 45mbps+ is HD DVD and Blu-ray quality(at 1080p). 

That's proof positive that in general, the higher the bitrates, the better quality you get.  Also for audio.  ;D  But the efficiency of the compression algorthm also determines the bitrate.

In Blu-ray, some titles go as much as 56mbps because BD used the older mpeg2 compression used for standard DVD in their early releases.  While HD DVD can go even lower than 30mbps because they use a more efficient VC-1 compression, with the same gorgeous HD quality.   ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2008 at 09:09 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2008 at 02:27 PM »
That was truly enlightening,...

thanks for the detailed explanation....

Regards,
ABC

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008 at 09:56 PM »
I read somewhere that Men In Black(superbit) bit rate clocked in at 11.3 mb/s

I'm not sure of this though, can anybody confirm this?  :-\

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008 at 08:40 AM »

thanks for all the information here.
i finally saw the "bitrate" you are all referring here when i bought a PS3.
saw that blu-rays have average bit rate of 20++ Mbps... and regular dvd about 8Mbps.

i could not find the same button in my sammy htib... but thats okay.

thanks to all...
lovin' my Panny 42X20