Author Topic: DVD price drops, blessing or curse?  (Read 8724 times)

Offline thomastipp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DVD price drops, blessing or curse?
« on: May 02, 2008 at 03:04 PM »
Hi, with the prices of dvds sold in local stores dropping constantly, this hobby is becoming dull. DVD collecting used to be for those privileged few who could afford such luxuries.

I started collecting because it made me feel special since not all could afford original dvds. But now everyone can buy an original for as low as 150.

Price drops have also severely devalued my collection. I mean these dvds were once selling for P895 a pop back then.

Another thing, this trend is severely affecting those selling R1 dvds in the marketplace since people have become more accustomed to R3 prices. How hard is it to sell used R1's for 500 when a year ago that was the norm.

I'm not against these price drops, it's just that it might be too low already, close to being worthless. And I don't want my collection to be worthless.

Time to upgrade to blu-ray I guess :-\

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
Re: DVD price drops, blessing or curse?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008 at 03:26 PM »
its all because of piracy in our country.... 

going hi def doesnt solve the problem, since high definition movies can now be easily downloaded thru the net.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008 at 03:31 PM by skylynx888 »

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008 at 03:46 PM »
my view is that original dvds will never become worthless as long as you get enjoyment out of them. pirated dvds won't be able to consistently match the quality of original dvds as they don't follow any standards.

Offline Dingdong Amandy

• Collector
  • isang HT and Audio lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008 at 04:09 PM »
my view is that original dvds will never become worthless as long as you get enjoyment out of them. pirated dvds won't be able to consistently match the quality of original dvds as they don't follow any standards.

well said..

i remember during those days that i eventually bought Saving Private Ryan for 1kplus, but now, around 250 na i think
also Behind Enemy Lines....

At least, anyone will now urge to buy dvd origs for as low as 150
Kaya lang din, R3's are not well presented, so prefer ko pa rin ang imported one, which cost 450 up..

http://dcph.info/v2008/

Offline amethyst_arr

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008 at 05:12 PM »
collecting stuff in general is not about how much money you spend in getting the stuff (assuming you got it at a "reasonable price" the moment you acquired it), it's about the satisfaction you get by owning the stuff...saka hindi naman talaga magmamahal yan, unless you keep it sealed (and unless very extraordinary yung dvd/edition nung movie)...but then, there's minimal, or no satisfaction at all there kasi hindi mo napanood...for me, the declining price of original dvds is more of a boon than a bane...for the same amount of money (more or less), you get to buy more dvds now...

yep, nakakahinayang minsan dahil yung mabibili mo ngayon ay mas mura bukas...BUT, di ba mas maganda kasi mabibili mo na bukas yung di mo kayang bilhin ngayon?...and with the peso getting stronger, medyo mas affordable na ang mag-online shopping sa amazon...just a thought!  :)

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008 at 05:55 PM »
Very well said, amethyst_arr. And I'm glad to have heard a fresh perspective on the subject.

I think it's great that local (and imported) DVDs are becoming more affordable. How would you rate the value of a movie like Lawrence of Arabia, for example? By the rare, out-of-print Superbit DVD release or the single disc bare-bones DVD release at Astrovision?

And then, there's the pricing. The Superbit can run you around P299 nowadays, if you can find it. The single disc is about P199 and under. Do those low prices affect the value of the movie itself? To be fair, PQ and SQ are my only criteria. That's why I got a copy of Batch '81 despite already owning the VCD release.

I have over 400 original DVDs in my "collection", but I refuse to be called a "collector" simply because value is semantic. If I saw a sealed R3 Superbit DVD copy of LOA at Astrovision for P100 I'd snatch it up without even thinking of its current or future "investment" selling price.

Cost should never dictate the worth of one thing.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008 at 09:07 AM »
For me, it's a double edged sword.

DVD prices are going down that means more DVD's for me  :D
However, it's difficult to save some money  :-\

Especially with all the recent sales

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008 at 09:16 AM »
DVD prices are dropping because the studios as pushing for the new HD formats. SD DVD is now on its product decline stage.  They want the market to shift to HD - a new product milking cow, er, life cycle.   ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008 at 09:23 AM »
With R3 DVD prices plummeting down, somehow I tend to question the quality of the discs and packaging specially those that maintain their prices low all year round. Some of them are no better than those p-dvds.

No question on those that lower the prices on sale days. 

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008 at 10:05 AM »
DVD is not an investment.  Like cellphones and computers, it lost its value the minute you bought it.  There's also the lack of quality of the products - how can you say your fullscreen DVD5 version of Saw has more value than the widescreen high-bitrate R2 DTS-ES DVD9 version Bobot just bought from the street vendor?  I can't even sell all my legit DVD5 titles.  They're nearly worthless.

The pricing plan is just screwed up.  They've trained their customers to buy DVDs only during the P175/P199 sale.  That is the now perceived value of their DVDs.  They price their new release titles as high (and often higher) than Amazons.  When it won't sell, they drop the price and expect people to buy it.  When it drops down to P550, it's not "new release" anymore.  It doesn't carry as much bang as when it first landed on the shelves and so we'll just keep waiting until it hits rock bottom.  Ghost Rider 2-DVD dropped from P895 to P199 in just 11 months.

All new DVD titles (blockbuster hits) should be priced at P500, it should be the 2-DVD version and forget about the "budget" edition.  This will get people excited again on release dates.  For every DVD they sell during its release date, that's one less P199 they have to sell 11 months down the road.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008 at 10:48 AM »
The pricing model of CDs and DVDs and most other merchandise is hinged on recovering production and distribution cost in the first delivered batches, say the first 1000 units or so or the first 6 months.  That includes some hefty profits already.  After this recovery period, anything sold is just icing on the cake, so they can afford to discount heavily as all the sales proceeds are essentially profits.     ;D  Also, the mix of popular titles and not-so-popular titles create cross-subsidies, meaning the popular ones can recover the costs of unpopular titles.  Sometimes just one popular title can subsidize 3-5 or more unpopular titles.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008 at 10:50 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline activeweekender

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008 at 09:09 AM »
It's a blessing if you are buying dvds on sale, but its a curse, when you are the ones selling it, because you cannot have it sold at a good price anymore.  Wala ng bumibili ng 500 and above. Lahat gusto 199, 299, 300. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008 at 10:11 AM »
Yup, it's a blessing to consumers. It's a curse to those who think that DVD collection is an investment.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008 at 10:12 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008 at 10:40 AM »
Wala ng bumibili ng 500 and above. Lahat gusto 199, 299, 300. 

True dat. When I see something P375 or over, I think to wait a few more months before getting it.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008 at 01:42 PM »
For me its a Blessing!

Around 9 to 8 years ago, standard DVD movies' prices were at $20++ and before in Philippine Stores the prices for region1 movies were atleast $1500 (this is back in yr1999 to 2000) but now you can easily get a DVD movie for $3.99 to $5.99.

I beg to disagree on "not a collectible" or "hinde nagmamahal". I think that thought is basically applicable depending on the geographical location and the type of DVD (standard, Limited Edition or Exclusive). In Phillipines, maybe applicable but in North America and Europe its a different ballgame.

[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008 at 08:48 AM »
I guess that was also said about laser discs when DVD was just starting.  These days, they fetch anywhere from 25 cents to 50 cents apiece in the US. Could be more to individual collectors.

Selling your Laser Disc collection

We pay 25 to 50 cents for many Laser Discs. We are uncertain how long we will continue to buy Laser Discs due to the expanding market in selling DVDs and selling CDs. Because of their relatively low value, we will only buy these at our store; sorry, no mail collections.

http://www.prex.com/sell.html

So dispose of your DVD collection while you can.  They still command good prices in the US, up to $4 apiece and higher for criterion and boxed sets.  Once Blu-Ray becomes mainstream, there's a high chance DVDs too will go the way of Laser Discs.  ;D  Maybe longer for nicely packaged editions.

Selling DVDs

When Selling DVDs to us, we pay up to $4.00 per disc for most feature-length movies; higher prices for many TV on DVD Box Sets and more for some deluxe issues such as Criterion Collection editions. As with CDs, when selling DVDs, the discs, liner notes and cases must be in excellent condition to get full price.

http://www.prex.com/sell.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008 at 08:56 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008 at 08:54 AM »
DVD won't go as fast as Laserdisc simply because it is very well established and

all HD players are backwards compatible, so that tells me that a number of collector's will still hold on their DVD's.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008 at 09:01 AM »
Yup, not as fast.  Again, that really depends on how successful Blu-Ray can replace DVD, if at all.  ;D  But right now, I wouldn't place a bet on it, either way.  ;D

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008 at 11:00 AM »
Is DVD collecting really just for the "privileged few"??
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008 at 11:16 AM »
What is the picture and sound quality of Laserdisc comparable to? VCD or DVD? I can't seem to remember.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008 at 11:16 AM by Dan »

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008 at 11:49 AM »
What is the picture and sound quality of Laserdisc comparable to? VCD or DVD? I can't seem to remember.

Laserdisc PQ is definitely much better than VCD
Its resolution is 435i while DVD is 480i
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008 at 07:42 PM by juancho »

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008 at 06:17 PM »
DVD is here to stay for a long time.  I still see racks of VCDs in Astro and Videocity.  We haven't even phased that out yet.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008 at 06:26 PM »

No more na...a lot of ordinary folks can afford it na esp when there's a sale. :)

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008 at 07:46 PM »
DVD is here to stay for a long time.  I still see racks of VCDs in Astro and Videocity.  We haven't even phased that out yet.

Yes, I still see a lot more VCD's in the Top Ten Bestsellers of Odyssey than DVD's.

To an average Juan Dela Cruz, DVD's are still "kinda high end".

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008 at 04:09 PM »

Is it the DVD or the Home Theater Setup that's for a privileged few?  An average Juan Dela Cruz can own a P175 Superbit title but not any "Juan" ( pun intended ) can own a 40" LCD TV and an Onkyo HT setup which are quite expensive.  It doesn't mean that if you own an original DVD you'll have the ultimate HD experience, which is only available for the privileged few.  True the dvds are now cheap.  But we must realize that watching that cheap superbit title from a regular 21" inch CRT and watching it in a giant LCD screen with a 6.1 speaker system are two different experiences.  The latter, I believe, is for the so called privileged few.

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008 at 04:31 PM »
Yup, it's a blessing to consumers. It's a curse to those who think that DVD collection is an investment.  ;D

Are you a collector?  Or are you a businessman?  If you're a collector, the drops are welcome.  Now you can enjoy more dvds with your kids at less expense.  If you're a merchant, you have a problem.  I agree with upinsmoke that DVDs are never an investment from a salesman point of view.  But if you're just a collector, like most of us, it still is fun really.  As I've said before in a previous thread, the greatest adrenaline rush for me is not buying per se but in the FIND - finding a title that's cheap and affordable. 

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008 at 04:53 PM »
Hi, with the prices of dvds sold in local stores dropping constantly, this hobby is becoming dull. DVD collecting used to be for those privileged few who could afford such luxuries.

I started collecting because it made me feel special since not all could afford original dvds. But now everyone can buy an original for as low as 150.

Price drops have also severely devalued my collection. I mean these dvds were once selling for P895 a pop back then.

Another thing, this trend is severely affecting those selling R1 dvds in the marketplace since people have become more accustomed to R3 prices. How hard is it to sell used R1's for 500 when a year ago that was the norm.

I'm not against these price drops, it's just that it might be too low already, close to being worthless. And I don't want my collection to be worthless.

Time to upgrade to blu-ray I guess :-\

same as my cassette tapes beta/vhs collection inamag lang pinamigay ko na...

thats the way it is bro. just grin and bear it

as to orig dvd? i think affected sila sa proliferation P-dvd (excellent pq copied from orig/hd/br) @50-70php@- still way much cheaper than the orig. & pls lets not blame the buyer, sa hirap ng buhay ngayon...; blame the system just look around manila ;D

« Last Edit: May 06, 2008 at 04:59 PM by oweidah »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008 at 05:54 PM »
Is it the DVD or the Home Theater Setup that's for a privileged few?  True the dvds are now cheap.  But we must realize that watching that cheap superbit title from a regular 21" inch CRT and watching it in a giant LCD screen with a 6.1 speaker system are two different experiences.  The latter, I believe, is for the so called privileged few.

True. Thanks to technology advancement, nowdays many average 6PJ can own an affordable HTIB 5.1. :)
In reality many ordinary folks are still happy watching DVD with their small TV w/out a proper 5.1 setup.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2008 at 05:57 PM by pchin »

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008 at 09:37 PM »
Sooner or later, you wont need a DVD to watch. With the latest technology of rent a movie eg; Netflix or by downloading, all you need is a (2) or more terabyte hard drive to watch your collection. Simply plug your flat or Pj then your ready to go.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008 at 11:00 PM »

Not here.  But in many other countries, VCDs are unheard of.  ;D   When the evolution of the home theater and home video formats are discussed, VCDs only merit a footnote.  ;D

While I won't bet that BDs will replace DVDs anytime soon.  I can bet that DVDs will still be here long after their last day of production in the US.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008 at 11:05 PM by av_phile1 »