Author Topic: PLONING  (Read 7459 times)

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PLONING
« on: May 04, 2008 at 11:32 PM »
 ;D Have you guys seen this already?

Saw this tonight and I must say I really liked the film and the story. Cinematography, editing, scoring and performances especially from Juday and Gina Pareno are near flawless.  Me thinks this is the best and classiest Juday film. 

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: PLONING
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008 at 12:31 AM »

Haven't seen this movie yet but I have high regards for this movie for the main actor's passion in doing this kind of film. It is indeed a labor of love. I would rather watch and pay for this than watch WHEN LOVE BEGINS which is of course fares better at the tills but nonetheless gives you nothing new to savor about. I told my sister who went to see the other movie (and was really disappointed for a very thin storyline) that she should have chose PLONING. But of course she won't, knowing she would rather watch those local romantic dramas like the latter. I'd probably catch this on video.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008 at 07:35 PM »
It got A rating from the Cinema Evaluation Board. I hope its still showing this weekend.

Offline chalkdust_

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008 at 09:44 PM »
I've been waiting to see this for a while but I couldn't find anyone to go with me. Hopefully it'll last until Friday at least. :)

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008 at 10:02 PM »
as far as i know, exclusively siya sa sm cinemas from apr 30-may 6. starting today, palabas na rin siya sa ibang sinehan.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008 at 06:39 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008 at 05:49 AM »
PLONING (Dante Garcia, 2008)

Its still showing in Sm Megamall, and it reached 2nd week thru word-of-mouth! Beautiful, moving, poetic. One of the best films that will stand the test of time. Its like you're watching AMELIE, IL POSTINO and CINEMA PARADISO in one and it deals with hope, love, forgiveness and redemption. We seldom see movies like this and it explores again the beauty of our countryside. Not only you will gush on the technical aspects but the entire cast were all good. Judy Ann Santos as PLONING is simply pure magic! Her eyes convey all the mystery, love and longing of a woman searching and hoping for love. She simply captivates all the people around her with her quiet, restraint performance. Special commendation should also be given to Cedric Amit as the kid, he's also terrific and amazing! The lines that strucked me most......."you should face the past will all smiles in your heart because there's a reason for everything. When you love you will always get hurt and when you don't get hurt its more painful". The narrative was skillfully done and Tessie Tomas narration glued me more on my seat. Once the first scene came out on the screen you know already whether you gonna walkout from a film or not, and this film is worth seating from beginning to end.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008 at 06:46 PM by keating »

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008 at 03:26 PM »
saw this on its first week. it's far from perfect but still worth viewing. may problema sa pag-reveal ng twist pero naiyak ako sa may ending.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008 at 06:18 PM »
Only people who are stone will not be moved by the movie, and there are so many heart-breaking moments! The two dance sequence by Judy Ann, especially with Tony Mabesa, the death scene of Eugene Domingo and Tessie Tomas chatting with Judy Ann before the finale.

The film will have its theatrical run in Gateway Mall, Metropolis and Festival Mall this coming Wednesday.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 at 06:03 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008 at 05:51 PM »
Holy cow, it was submitted for Cannes but was not chosen! This is a film that can make you proud as a Filipino.

More rave reviews......

Pinoy movie showdown
MOVIE REVIEW
When Love Begins
Directed by Jose Javier Reyes

Ploning
Directed by Dante Nico Garcia
WELCOME, FANS, to the most talked about showdown in recent Pinoy movie history! In the blue corner, wearing board shorts and a bikini top, we have When Love Begins, a Jose Javier Reyes romance starring Aga Muhlach and Anne Curtis. And in the red corner, sporting a yellow-blouse-red-skirt combo, is Ploning, Dante Nico Garcia’s movie based on a Cuyonon folk song. Both clock in at 1 hour and 45 minutes; however, only one will survive this head-to-head contest consisting of several arbitrary categories. Let the fight begin!

Judy Ann Santos (L) and Mylene Dizon (R) star in Ploning Title: Let’s say you had no prior knowledge of these two films and were asked to choose which one to watch based solely on their titles. Ploning sounds like a typhoon, fit to be included among the likes of Reming and Rosing. It doesn’t give anything away and you’re left to wonder what it’s about. When Love Begins, on the other hand, has more cheese than France (no offense to the French, who are among the biggest exporters and consumers of the dairy product) and you automatically know what to expect. Ploning wins for being as enigmatic as a Zen koan.

Love Team: Mr. Muhlach goes through much of When Love Begins with a hangdog expression on his face and his boyish charm erases the big age difference between him and Ms. Curtis. They have onscreen chemistry, but the cuteness can get cloying. While we never get to see Tomas, Ploning’s lost love, we do see Judy Ann Santos (who plays the title character) and her affectionate relationship with Digo, a little boy, and almost everyone in the small town of Cuyo. Ploning wins for pulling off a love story without shoving it down our throats.

Story: When Love Begins is a predictable flirt fest between Mr. Muhlach, a lawyer-turned-environmental-activist, and Ms. Curtis, the daughter of a real estate developer. Based on that alone, it doesn’t take a genius to guess what comes next. Figuring out Ploning is harder because it takes its time before revealing its hand. At first you think it’s about Tomas coming back, and then you think it’s about Mylene Dizon’s character stealing Ploning’s queen-bee status, and then you think it’s about female relationships and sisterhood in a Steel Magnolias kind of way. Ploning’s tapestry beats the one-note performance of When Love Begins.

Anne Curtis and Aga Mulach in When Love Begins Soundtrack: What would you rather listen to, prom slow dance songs or Filipino folk music? I found the harmony of voices and guitars on Ploning soothing. As a matter of fact, I’m listening to a version of it right now via YouTube. Adding to the lyrical nature of Ploning is the melody of the Cuyonon dialect. I would never search for any of the songs on When Love Begins; I hear enough of their type in buses and cabs.

Cinematography: Ploning does a great job of showing off Cuyo, Palawan. Shots of beautiful sunsets and rough beaches will entice audiences to head to the island and experience the quiet rural life themselves. The colors on Ploning are also more vibrant; they pop off the screen and make you lean forward. The only thing outstanding about the When Love Begins version of Boracay is how uncrowded it is.

Audience Impact: Overheard while watching When Love Begins, "Ba’t tayo nandito? Wala namang kwento. Sana Ironman na lang pinanuod natin (Why are we here? There’s no story. We should’ve watched Ironman instead)." Overheard in Ploning, scattered chuckles and sniffles at the appropriate moments. Ploning wins for engaging all five of its viewers. When Love Begins also wins for attracting enough people to fill up the theater despite its lack of a story.

Final Decision: The beskirted Ploning knocks out When Love Begins with a sitout three-quarter facelock jawbreaker (better known as a Stone Cold Stunner to wrestling fans).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 at 05:57 PM by keating »

Offline telonistas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008 at 01:42 PM »
PLONING (Dante Garcia, 2008)

... Its like you're watching AMELIE, IL POSTINO and CINEMA PARADISO in one and it deals with hope, love, forgiveness and redemption...

are you serious?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008 at 07:49 PM »
Very serious......i wish it was our entry for the competition at Cannes.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008 at 06:09 PM »
Heads up!

PLONING will be screened at Paris Cinema Festival back-to-back with Chito Rono's DEKADA 70 on July 5, 2008.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008 at 08:04 PM »

Heads up!

PLONING will be screened at Paris Cinema Festival back-to-back with Chito Rono's DEKADA 70 on July 5, 2008.

Effort's all worth it. Good for Judy Ann.

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008 at 09:05 PM »
Heads up!

Caregiver will open its gala premiere.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008 at 06:16 PM »
The film looks like an art film and has positive values lacking in most Filipino films at present. And Judy Ann finally got a respect in my book, that quiet performance, she can now take a backseat for making this film.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 02, 2008 at 09:39 AM »
Finally. PLONING goes to CANADA!

Here's the full schedule :

Aug 22-28  Scarborough
Scarborough Town Centre
300 Borough Dr.
Scarborough ON, M1P 4P5
416-290-5217

Aug 22-28 Downtown Toronto
Cineplex Odeon Carlton
20 Carlton Street
Toronto ON, M5B 2H5
(416) 598-2197

Mississauga Aug 29- Sept 4
Empire Theatre at Square one
100 City Centre Dr.
Mississauga, ON  L5B 2C9
905-275-2640

Sept 5-11 Winnipeg
Globe cinema
393 Portage Ave. 3rd Floor
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3H6
(204) 694-5623

Sept 12-18 Vancouver
Empire Theatre Granville 7 cinema
855 Granville Street
Vancouver, BC  V6Z 1K7
604-684-4051

Calgary  Sept 19 – 25th
Cineplex Sunridge Spectrum
2555 32nd Street
Calgary AB, T1Y 7J6
(403) 717-1200

Fresh from its PARIS CINEMA FESTIVAL and CINEMALAYA tour, may this beautiful story of faith, hope, and love, showcasing the beauty of the Filipino and the Philippines, inspire every Filipino, of every generation, in all corners of the world.

Starring Judy Ann Santos, Gina Pareno, Mylene Dizon, Eugene Domingo, Meryll Soriano, Tessie Tomas, Beth Tamayo, Tony Mabesa, Ketchup Eusebio, Ronnie Lazaro, Joel Torre, Jojit Lorenzo and Cuyonon actors Bodjong
Fernandez, Ogoy, Lukas and Cedric Amit. Directed by Dante Nico Garcia.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2008 at 05:14 PM »
‘Ploning’ is RP’s official entry to 2009 Oscars

INQUIRER.net
First Posted 15:55:00 09/01/2008
MANILA, Philippines -- The Film Academy of the Philippines (FAP) has chosen the Judy Ann Santos-starrer “Ploning” as the country’s official entry for Best Foreign Language Film in the 2009 Oscars.

A special FAP committee, headed by National Artist for Film Eddie Romero, voted “Ploning” over the Sharon Cuneta-bannered “Caregiver,” three votes to two in a recent meeting.

The two movies were part of a six-film shortlist that included the Cinemalaya festival winner “Tribu” and “Endo.”

Committee members include Jose Carreon, secretary of the Directors Guild of the Philippines, Inc.; William Mayo, president of the Philippine Motion Picture Directors Association; Johnny Delgado, chairman of the Actors' Workshop Foundation; Pablo S. Gomez, president of the Screenwriters' Guild of the Philippines; and Manny Morfe, president of the Productions Designers Guild of the Philippines.

source

Offline syoti

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2008 at 11:02 PM »
does anyone know what company distributed this here? have been waiting for this to be released on dvd.. ???

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 02, 2008 at 06:02 PM »
The Board of Governors of the Film Academy of the Philippines approved the selection of Ploning as the country’s entry to the 2009 Oscar Awards’ best foreign language film category during a meeting Friday, August 29.

Five members of a special committee tasked to select the country’s entry which is headed by National Artist for Film Eddie Romero as chairman narrowed down the possible nominee to two films, Ploning and Caregiver. In a meeting last August 20, three members voted for Ploning and two members chose Caregiver.

The special committee members were Director Jose Carreon, secretary of the Directors Guild of the Philippines, Inc.; Director William Mayo, president of the Philippine Motion Picture Directors Association; Johnny Delgado, chairman of the Actors’ Workshop Foundation; Pablo S. Gomez, president of the Screenwriters’ Guild of the Philippines; and Manny Morfe, president of the
Productions Designers Guild of the Philippines.

The two films were initially included in a six-film short list which were all reviewed by the committee on August 12 and 14 at the FAP office at OctoArts Bldg. on Panay Avenue, Q.C.

Also reviewed were Tribu, a Cinemalaya festival winner and Endo. The producers of two other films—Pisay and Serbis (the Filipino entry in the last Cannes Film festival)—failed to submit DVD or VCD copy of their films and were not reviewed by the committee.

The result of the voting was announced during the Board of Governors monthly meeting on Friday, August 29.

Bruce Davis, executive director of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), reminded the Academy of the various deadlines which are listed hereunder:

–October 1, 2008 (Wednesday)
a) three official entry forms completed and signed by
1) the chairperson of the selection committee;
2) the selection committee; and
3) the selected film’s producer.

b) Synopsis in English of the selected entry.
c) Cast and production credits of entry.
d) Advertisement of the film’s commercial run.
e) Director’s biography and photograph.
f) Film print of entry.

The special rules for the best foreign language film award category require accurate English subtitles of the entry. The rules further stipulate that only one picture will be accepted from each country.

Entries which will be nominated on January 22, 2009 will be required to provide a second-English-language subtitled print of the film to facilitate voting screenings. This second print must be submitted to the AMPAS on January 23, 2009 (Friday).

All entries will be screened by the Academy’s Foreign Language Film Award Committee(s) whose members will vote by secret ballot to nominate five foreign language motion pictures for this award.

Academy records showed that 17 local films were shown in theaters from October to December last year. During the period from January to July 2, 2008, another 17 local films were also exhibited. Eight of these 34 films were rated A by the Cinema Evaluation Board of the Film Development Council of the Philippines and 11 were rated B.

PLONING MADE IT!

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 02, 2008 at 08:59 PM »
I haven't seen Ploning but don't you think that Tribu is much more Oscar baity?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 02, 2008 at 10:55 PM »
does anyone know what company distributed this here? have been waiting for this to be released on dvd.. ???

The dvd will be released 3rd quarter of this year.

Offline telonistas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 06:21 PM »
I haven't seen Ploning but don't you think that Tribu is much more Oscar baity?

Oscars requires 35mm print release requirement and submission. I don't think Tribu, Pisay has 35mm copy. Endo has been printed on 35mm, i think. Ploning should do a redo of color grade of many of the scenes in digital intermediate. lots of chromatic problems.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 06:44 PM »
The color grading can be improved, we need to drumbeat this film and infiltrate the international forum to get all the buzz so that it can paved the way to Oscars next year.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2008 at 06:54 PM by keating »

Offline blitzkrieg

• DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 10:55 PM »
 ;D Ploning is NOT a digital film so all the producers have to do is re-master the PQ and SQ...correct ba ako?

Anyways, I'd love to see this film represent our country. Good thing it won over the melodramatic Caregiver (what a well-thought title  >:()

Offline telonistas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 04, 2008 at 10:33 PM »
;D Ploning is NOT a digital film so all the producers have to do is re-master the PQ and SQ...correct ba ako?

ploning was shot on 35mm but they went through digital intermediate for color grading at optima using the spirit. they scanned the 35mm neg, then color graded and recorded it back to negative. they have to go back to the original data or rescan the negs again to regrade. remastering would make it worse.
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2008 at 10:34 PM by telonistas »

Offline blitzkrieg

• DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 05, 2008 at 11:43 PM »
 ;D DO YOU WANT TO CATCH THIS FILM?

Had my second serving of this film just tonight at MOGWAI BAR in Cubao X (formerly Marikina Shoe Expo). Screening is done at the 2nd floor of the bar. Sound is not that bad tho its not fully sound proof coz you can hear the goings-on downstairs. But its more cozy and intimate coz you get to lie down on the floor thanks to some beanbags scattered everywhere tho there are 6 cinema type chairs for those who have back problems.

Entrance is P120 with FREE Nestea Iced Tea in bottles and either popcorn or nachos! (go for the nachos with cheese and meat toppings coz of the hefty serving!) Dun pa lang bawi ka na plus you get to enjoy the movie up close..

Screenings will be at the following dates:

September 5, 10, 18 and 27, 2008 at 8pm. ;D

Tonight's screening has a rather respectable attendance and Ronnie Lazaro and the Director, Dante Nico Garcia were there. After the movie, you may want to get drunk downstairs hehe..

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2008 at 11:51 PM by blitzkrieg »

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 06, 2008 at 12:28 PM »

Once again, Judy Ann has been vindicated. Hear that, ABS?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 12, 2008 at 10:36 AM »
Amblig!
Cuyonon ng ‘ingat’…

‘Yan ang favorite word ko ngayon.
John Lloyd / Biogesic Cuyunon edition!
Wahahaha!

Para kasing naging malikot masyado ang imagination ko nung bata ako…
At naging matabil ang prayers ko…

Kasi ang dami Niyang binibigay ngayon sa akin na ni hindi ko maalalang hiniling ko…
Ang iba nga ni hindi ko inimadyin.

Pero sabi nga ni Spanky Manikan as Tsuy sa Ploning:

“Puso ang ipanghanap mo…
Kasi ibibigay ng Diyos ang gusto mo pag handa na ang puso mo…”

Siguro handa na ang puso ko kaya si Nay Ploning ngayon ang pupunta kay Uncle Oscar…
Bilang Official Philippine Entry sa Best Foreign Language Film Category.

Siguro noong bata ako…
Mahilig akong humiling kay God ng imposible.
Ngayon kasi ‘shy-type’ na ako…
Pero todo pa rin Siyang magbigay.

Kaya sa mga malilikot ang utak at gustong magka-Ploning…
At sa mga nag-i-imagine kay Oscar…
Amblig!

Baka ibigay ‘yan ni God pag handa na ang puso mo…
Ikaw din…

from Direk Dante Garcia.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2008 at 10:37 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 14, 2008 at 01:30 PM »

Anyways, I'd love to see this film represent our country. Good thing it won over the melodramatic Caregiver (what a well-thought title  >:()

If it will make on the Top 18 that's good enough already. Judy Ann can now take a backseat because she already made a film that will forever be stamped in her entire filmography. Just make one good film, she'll be remember 10 years from now just like Nora in HIMALA, Vilma in RELASYON.