Author Topic: OPPO DV983H  (Read 47829 times)

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
Re: OPPO DV983H
« Reply #540 on: Nov 02, 2008 at 01:31 PM »
Bluray is in a bit of crossroads right now because it isn't taking off despite the disappearance of HD-DVD. The main reason IMO is the emergence of upscaling DVD players like the Oppo 983 that can render DVD's at near Blu-ray quality or at least at a quality where our eyes can barely tell the difference.

I got the PS3 mainly for games, the Bluray is extra. I got the 983 because like you, I have a large collection of Region 1 DVD's which my PS3 cannot play. I think the PS3 plays DVD as well as the 983 I (different temp but resolution is equal IMO) but I hate to waste the PS3 on ubiquitous "p" DVDs.   
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #541 on: Nov 02, 2008 at 06:50 PM »
The main reason IMO is the emergence of upscaling DVD players like the Oppo 983 that can render DVD's at near Blu-ray quality or at least at a quality where our eyes can barely tell the difference.

Not really, there's still a big noticeable difference between upscaled DVD and BD.

The reason for the slow adoption of BD is price & HD downloads.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #542 on: Nov 02, 2008 at 08:23 PM »
Not really, there's still a big noticeable difference between upscaled DVD and BD.

i tend to agree, having seen the machine work (983) and also some of the bd, hddvd and nmts out there, imho, hd is hd, not even the best upscaler can beat that. but if you have a lot of dvds in your collection and don't want to repurchase all those old movies in hd, a good upscaler is indeed a must investment, way better than a progressive scan dvd.  ;D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #543 on: Nov 02, 2008 at 09:19 PM »

I think you are right about the HD downloads and price affecting BD sales but not about the difference between BD and upscaled DVD.  In my setup, Pioneer 42" Kuro with PS3 and 983, the latter comes very close to BD the justification for going HD disappears. And because of that, I think BD is in trouble.

Is Blu-ray the next Laserdisc?  Hope not.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/108657
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2008 at 09:19 PM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #544 on: Nov 02, 2008 at 09:59 PM »
For me there's a big difference when viewing with my 720p 50" DLP TV.. BD (using my PANA BD30) is way better than DVD (using my OPPO 983).. Paano na kaya if 1080p na TV ko..  ;D ;D ;D
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #545 on: Nov 02, 2008 at 11:18 PM »
It makes sense that the bigger your TV and the higher the resolution, BD's advantage over upscaled DVD becomes more apparent.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #546 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 12:56 AM »
It makes sense that the bigger your TV and the higher the resolution, BD's advantage over upscaled DVD becomes more apparent.

Exactly..  ;D ;D ;D
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #547 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 12:01 PM »
i tend to agree, having seen the machine work (983) and also some of the bd, hddvd and nmts out there, imho, hd is hd, not even the best upscaler can beat that. but if you have a lot of dvds in your collection and don't want to repurchase all those old movies in hd, a good upscaler is indeed a must investment, way better than a progressive scan dvd.  ;D

Replacing all their SDs with BD is a concept that might be OK with some people.  But we know that it's impossible to upgrade a collector's entire library to BD even if he wanted to, because many titles are simply unavailable in BD format.

Some recent blockbusters will not be seeing the light of BD for some time.  Can you believe Lord of the Rings and Star Wars still don't have a BD release?  And that Titanic, the highest grossing movie of all time, still does not have a BD release?  How about classics such as Cinema Paradiso, a cinematic gem that Roger Ebert describes as "anyone who loves movies is likely to love", will it ever have a BD release?

Video in single format is a thing of the past.  Video collections in multiple formats is the trend that is here to stay.

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008 at 12:01 PM by barrister »

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #548 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 12:07 PM »
For me, I will only be replacing DVDs that I really like.. Definitely once Lord of the Rings or Star Wars will come out in BD formt, I will be buying the series and sell my DVD copies.. Lord of the Rings I think will come out next year in BD format.. Read it somewhere..  ;) ;)  For recent blockbuster movies, definitely I buy them in BD format..

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #549 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 12:27 PM »
Ehem, reserve those "regular" DVDs for me, doc :D :D :D :D :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #550 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:26 PM »

Cge Jen, kaw first in line.. hehehe

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #551 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:29 PM »
1st dibs ka agad bro?  di pa naman naka-post  :D

Video in single format is a thing of the past.  Video collections in multiple formats is the trend that is here to stay.
dito ko lang sa pdvd nakikita yan bro   :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #552 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:34 PM »
Kapitbahay kasi si doc :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #553 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:50 PM »
Kapitbahay kasi si doc :D
ot:
taga planet kryton din?  :D
daming doctor dito ah ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #554 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 12:59 AM »
ot:
taga planet kryton din?  :D
daming doctor dito ah ;D

Davao as well :D

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2410
« Reply #555 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 09:54 AM »

I think bd players are no longer expensive. Some are below 300 dollars already, thats why there are a couple of companies that delay or no longer want to produce bd players ata. Oppo is one of them (delayed), the other one begins with an S ata (sherwood?), I forgot..Anyway, I think they postponed their bd players till next year bec of how fast player prices are falling. They are probably rethinking their strategy..The prob I think lies in prices of software. 25 dollars and above to me is a bit much. Catalogs are also expensive. But thanks to warner and sony we can get some cheap films below 16 bucks. Dvds have 5 to 10 dollar prices. People are waiting for it to fall further (this is the reason I see for the slow adoption) , bec nga upscaled is good enough na for them. Why rebuy at 19.95 when eventually they will come down to 10 dollars? :D..How many percent of the population have 50 inch and above screens? I want one also ;D..Hopefully they will be 50 thousand pesos by next year ;D

Anyway imo I think the 983 is overpriced at 399 ;D, Its overpriced for a dvd player BUT it is not overpriced if you have lots of dvds, will keep buying cheap dvds with their present pricing and don't intend to rebuy most of them in blu-ray.

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2008 at 03:28 PM by Moks007 »

Offline darth_rye

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #556 on: Nov 07, 2008 at 05:17 PM »
What po magandang combination nitong AVR?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #557 on: Nov 07, 2008 at 09:13 PM »
Kulay itim na AVR ang bagay diyan.

Offline darth_rye

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #558 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 09:07 AM »

+1

Offline darth_rye

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #559 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 09:10 AM »
Kulay itim na AVR ang bagay diyan.

aside sa kulay, what brand,model po recommended nyo? i am planning to have my dedicated HT room early next year po eh. TIA!

Pede na din po pati speaker system recommended nyo.

Newbie lang po eh.

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2008 at 06:08 PM by darth_rye »

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
« Reply #560 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 02:28 PM »
can't wait for an OPPO blu ray player.  of course as a blu ray player, it should be able to upconvert DVDs too right? hehe 

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #561 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 06:19 PM »
aside sa kulay, what brand,model po recommended nyo? i am planning to have my dedicated HT room early next year po eh. TIA!

Pede na din po pati speaker system recommended nyo.

Newbie lang po eh.

congrats! it doesnt matter what avr you choose, the oppo will be compatible. so you should try reading through the receivers thread para you can get a peak of all the receivers. yamaha, onkyo, denon, hk and etc. pero for me, lamang ng konti ang onkyo and denon because of audyssey, this system automatically measures your room and speaker set up so it will optimally tune it to your rooms specs. kaya its an invaluable system to have. as for speakers, choose an avr first then you can go hunting for speakers. good luck!

Offline darth_rye

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #562 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:18 PM »
congrats! it doesnt matter what avr you choose, the oppo will be compatible. so you should try reading through the receivers thread para you can get a peak of all the receivers. yamaha, onkyo, denon, hk and etc. pero for me, lamang ng konti ang onkyo and denon because of audyssey, this system automatically measures your room and speaker set up so it will optimally tune it to your rooms specs. kaya its an invaluable system to have. as for speakers, choose an avr first then you can go hunting for speakers. good luck!

Thank you very much sir sa info!

Right now i am leaning in getting Onkyo as my AVR i think it will also be much better pairing with Mission speakers.
Sana lang Oppo BD player will be out by that time para un na kunin ko as player.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #563 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 03:26 PM »
Thank you very much sir sa info!

Right now i am leaning in getting Onkyo as my AVR i think it will also be much better pairing with Mission speakers.
Sana lang Oppo BD player will be out by that time para un na kunin ko as player.

oppo 983 or pana BD55, hard choice to make :)

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #564 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 09:34 PM »
oppo 983 or pana BD55, hard choice to make :)

got 3 choices Oppo, pana BD55 or Samy 2500.... still leaning on Oppo and waiting what will be the MSRP... :(  :D ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #565 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 03:11 PM »
may I ask..does this player plays divx and avi files?

parang wala kasi ako nakitang ganitong feature..

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #566 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 01:48 AM »
may I ask..does this player plays divx and avi files?

parang wala kasi ako nakitang ganitong feature..

Yes.

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #567 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 10:51 AM »
thanks for the reply blue?

so sa abroad lang tlga meron nito?

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #568 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 11:21 AM »

Yep..

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #569 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 11:23 AM »

you can order it thru amazon.com or from fellow member TOYO1 :)
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2008 at 11:05 AM by ricky »