Author Topic: Smallville  (Read 20988 times)

Offline DViant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
Smallville
« on: Mar 03, 2002 at 01:49 PM »
At long last Studio 23's picking up the series. Now I don't have to download Video CDs to get my weekly dose of the lovely Kristin Kreuk.  ;D She is just sooo hot even though she's short!
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2008 at 01:23 PM by Mr. Hankey »

NY152

Re: Smallville's coming to Studio 23
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2002 at 08:59 PM »
It's a new take on the "Superman" origin, with Clark slowly developing his powers one-by-one as he also deals with the typical problems of being a high school student. I've finished the first 12 episodes already... very good for this type of show, but it seems to have borrowed its concept from another popular show that originated on the WB, but has since moved to UPN. The way they explained why weird things happen in Smallville seems a lot like "Sunnydale is a Hellmouth" for me. Relax, that's not a spoiler.

The producers have promised we won't see Superman flying in his costume, since that's not what the show is about.

For 80's trivia fans, The Dukes Of Hazzards' John Schneider and Superman III's Annette O'Toole play... Clark's parents - Jonathan and Martha Kent! What a transition for her, to go from playing Superman's girlfriend to playing his mother in... 19 years?

When I saw this casting decision, I immediately knew I was old.

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2002 at 09:15 PM »

For 80's trivia fans, The Dukes Of Hazzards' John Schneider and Superman III's Annette O'Toole play... Clark's parents - Jonathan and Martha Kent! What a transition for her, to go from playing Superman's girlfriend to playing his mother... in... 19 years?

When I saw this casting decision, I immediately knew I was old.

We've come a long way, haven't we? :) I still remember the old superman comics where Pa and Ma Kent looked like grannies instead of parents to a bespectacled Clark. Then there was Glenn Ford, in his 60's, as a long-toothed Jonathan Kent counselling a high school Clark in the first Superman movie. Then, in Lois and Clark TV series, the Kents became hip fiftysomething parents totally at home in the 20th century.

John Schneider and Annette O'Toole may be in their forties, but I still remember them in their young glory. After all, they were the teen idols in my day. :) I can still remember high school buddies debating on who was cuter - John or Tom Wopat? Then of course there was Annette taking Robby Benson's heart away in that feel-good basketball movie.

Back to Smallville...

SPOILERS

So far all the reviews I've read are good. The young Lex Luthor also happens to be a good guy and Clark's best friend - which would make their future enmity all the more interesting. There are also plans to  star a young Bruce Wayne, whose dark and bitter heroism should prove to be a fascinating counterpart to Clark's naivete.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

NY152

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2002 at 09:26 PM »

Then of course there was Annette taking Robby Benson's heart away in that feel-good basketball movie.

One On One! I think we might be the same age, trekker.  ;D Been waiting for that film on DVD. So long that I actually bought the VHS from Amazon, and due to a mix-up, they sent me 2 copies. Anyone want it?

As much as I like Annette O'Toole, I can't help but feel sorry for the actress they originally cast as Martha Kent. She even completed work on the pilot, but her scenes were reshot when they got O'Toole, the bigger name with the interesting Superman connection.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2002 at 01:18 AM »

As much as I like Annette O'Toole, I can't help but feel sorry for the actress they originally cast as Martha Kent. She even completed work on the pilot, but her scenes were reshot when they got O'Toole, the bigger name with the interesting Superman connection.

The original actress billed to star as Martha Kent bailed at the last moment cause she didn't like the stresses of a weekly TV series. I've seen the unaired pilot and I feel that O'Toole does a much convincing and better looking Mrs Kent. :)

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2002 at 01:49 AM »
NY152, where/how have you seen the first 12 episodes?

DViant, where/how have you seen the unaired pilot episode?

???

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
OT: One on One
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2002 at 02:29 AM »

One On One! I think we might be the same age, trekker.  ;D Been waiting for that film on DVD. So long that I actually bought the VHS from Amazon, and due to a mix-up, they sent me 2 copies. Anyone want it?

I'm interested. Anything for nostalgia! But depends on the price. PM me so we can work it out. Thanks!

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2002 at 04:30 AM »

???

I have the first 11 episodes on Video CD. I haven't had the chance to get the latest ones cause my ISP mysteriously downgraded me last Valentines Day. :( When I get a better connection I'll consider getting Super VCDs of these episodes. :)

I was able to get the episodes from the Internet. That's how far I can tell you cause I'm prohibited by the UA to elaborate. :)

NY152

« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2002 at 08:51 AM »

The little thing called Morpheus (May God rest its soul), and currently Kazaa.

I actually have the unaired pilot as well. I can't say I disliked Cynthia Ettinger's portrayal of Martha Kent. She was very competent, IMHO. Besides, the role is strictly window-dressing in the pilot. I do like Annette O'Toole better, though... for nostalgic reasons stated above.  ::)

NY152

Re:Smallville's coming to Studio 23
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2002 at 01:21 AM »
Bumping this thread, since I heard one of the Studio 23 VJs say that the show will probably debut locally in June.

I have two episodes to go before finishing the first season, and the show's finally taken a few steps beyond its "villain of the week" theme, which was getting tiresome. Yes, there's still a villain-of-the-week, but the relationships between the characters are already being further explored. Previously, it was just the Clark-Lex friendship that had any noticeable development. Sadly, Jonathan and Martha Kent have returned to window dressing status.

For those of you with Canadian connections, the first 2 episodes are being released on DVD in Canada only on July 2:

Specs:

Length: 91 mins.
Aspect Ratio: 16x9, Full Frame
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish 2.0
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
UPC: 0-85396-07392-0

Features:

Audio Commentary by Producers Alfred Gough & Miles Millar and Director David Nutter
Interactive Map of Smallville: Storyboard to Screen
Interactive Menus
Trailer
Scene Access

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2002 at 06:39 AM »

For those of you with Canadian connections, the first 2 episodes are being released on DVD in Canada only on July 2:

I think it is possible to get this at www.dvdboxoffice.com since this site is from Canada.

just a suggestion
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2002 at 01:53 AM »

NY152, would you know why they decided putting just the first two eppies in this disc? ???  I'm sure there would be subsequent releases but aren't TV series box-sets come with at least three to four episodes per disc?  Parang di sulit...Kristin Kreuk is not even on the cover! >:(  ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2002 at 02:06 AM by ßâ®tmåñ¥ä¢ »

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2002 at 02:13 AM »
OH WAIT!

in this DVD case I've seen

it says (a blurry) 'pilot' below the Smallville title.  Can you guys see it?  Squint your eyes a bit more. ;D  I guess the said DVD only includes the premiere which is more understandable for such a release.  A RIP-OFF >:( ... but understandable. ;D

NY152

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2002 at 02:58 AM »
Yup, it's just the pilot and the second episode, bart... if you noticed, the two episodes are actually connected to each other.

This video release is similar to what they did with the pilot of Lois & Clark, which came out on VHS HERE but not in the States. Same with the pilot of E.R..

Come to think of it, the pilot of the new The Fugitive series also came out on DVD here but not in the States. Hmm...

Maybe we're going to see the Smallville pilot on Region 3 DVDs, too.  8)

(Pambawi man lang sana sa Superman: The Movie R3 na maraming problema...)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2002 at 03:05 AM by NY152 »

NY152

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2002 at 03:51 PM »

Maybe we're going to see the Smallville pilot on Region 3 DVDs, too.

Weird quoting myself there, but I THINK I'M RIGHT!

I just saw Smallville on Original Warner VCD at Astro today (P292.50 cash price). That usually means we'll be seeing it on DVD in a week or so, right?

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2002 at 04:47 PM »

I just saw Smallville on Original Warner VCD at Astro today (P292.50 cash price). That usually means we'll be seeing it on DVD in a week or so, right?

Hey I saw that VCD as early as 2 weeks ago on the shelves of Astrovision.

NY152

« Reply #16 on: Jun 27, 2002 at 08:25 PM »

Hey I saw that VCD as early as 2 weeks ago on the shelves of Astrovision.

Hmm... that's what I get for only checking Astro Virra Mall.  :P

Offline Henry

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 03, 2002 at 03:39 PM »
Hi, I just bought a SMALLVILLE DVD at Astro Vision,  SM North Edsa Branch, for P670.50 cash.  SM North Edsa is having a 3-day sale (Aug. 2, 3 & 4) and it's 10% off for cash purchase on selected dvds at Astro.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2002 at 03:44 PM by henry »

Offline Downhill Boy

• Collector
  • I have Buffy. You don't.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 19, 2002 at 01:28 AM »
Rented a DVD copy of the 1st/2nd episode in a video store called MIRU in Bacolod (yes, we have DVD's here and yes, we're first world enough to carry lovelies like Ghost World, Memento, Lagaan, etc...)

All in all, Smallville should be a pretty entertaining series, it should gather a Buffy-like cult following. Tom Welling as Superboy isn't going to take home any Emmys for acting soon but his "aww shucks" hickory boy charm should get the dalagitas searching the Net for worship sites about him. As for the guys, don't worry...Kristin Kreuk as Lana Lang will make you swoon. Haven't seen a TV actress this appealling since Alyssa Milano on Who's The Boss? Damn nice to look at. She also appears in the latest Snow White flick, with Miranda Richardson (siguro naman you can distinguish who's playing Snow White and the Evil Queen from the two? ;D).

I'm kinda sheepish  to admit that I like the Superman story retold in Dawsonesque fashion, complete with a Creed-like powerballad that plays as camera cranes out to a wide shot of a young Clark Kent pining over Lana. I half expected Katie Holmes to climb in thru his window.

Hurry the hell up S23!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2002 at 08:58 PM »
Smallville Season One premieres in the Philippines on Studio 23 on Tuesday, October 8, 2002, 9:00PM (Replacing Angel).

Smallville Season Two begins in the US on The WB on Tuesday, September 24, 9:00PM.

I find it amusing that the creators of SMALLVILLE were tapped to write the sequel to SPIDER-MAN, while the creator of ALIAS is writing the new SUPERMAN movie.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2002 at 12:01 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Bacon

• Collector
  • Wassup! Wassup!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 12:36 PM »
I was able to watch some of the upcoming episodes of Smallville. Its really like Dawson Creek with super powers.  BUT DAMN!  Kristin Kreuk is really beautiful
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2002 at 05:38 PM by Bacon »

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 01:08 PM »
Friends laaang?

<saw the pilot. chortled at how gay it was. yes, folks, a show that is gayer than Angel has arrived>

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 02:15 PM »
Friends laaang?

<saw the pilot. chortled at how gay it was. yes, folks, a show that is gayer than Angel has arrived>

Bwahahaha.  That show has given rise to the Fag Hag Faction!

Really, watch Smallville and tell me if the chemistry between Lex and Clark isn't off the scale.
Join the Pinoyslayers, the most kick-ass club of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans in the country.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 02:38 PM »
What the??? So finally a show that has a ball to show the real side of the MANash of STEEL
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 05:36 PM »
Friends laaang?

Bwahahaha.  That show has given rise to the Fag Hag Faction!

Really, watch Smallville and tell me if the chemistry between Lex and Clark isn't off the scale.

Are you guys serious? (Note: this is an honest question.) Or are you pulling our proverbial leg? 8)

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 05:48 PM »
Serious like a tumor, me darlin.' In fact, series EPs Alfred Gough and Miles Millar were chortling about it on the DVD. Over the CPR scene, which we first watched during the Pinoyslayers Son of Buffython, they allegedly said: "Here is where they kiss. We like that."

We didn't watch the DVD, we didn't hear the commentary, and we TOTALLY noticed.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2002 at 06:23 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 06:02 PM »
Serious like a tumor, me darlin.' In fact, series EPs Alfred Gough and Miles Millar were chortling about it on the DVD. Over the CPR scene, which we first watched during the Pinoyslayers [url] Son of Buffython, they allegedly said: "Here is where they kiss. We like that."

We didn't watch the DVD, we didn't hear the commentary, and we TOTALLY noticed.

OK, you got me curious. How much is the DVD again and where can Ibuy one? (I can always sell it if I don't like it.)

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 06:22 PM »
Ach. No clue. P800 something. i think it's available on Adventure Videos, if you're a member.

ClarkNLex4EVAH!
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2002 at 06:24 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 07:52 PM »
OK, you got me curious. How much is the DVD again and where can Ibuy one? (I can always sell it if I don't like it.)

Hmm... that's strange. I seem to remember giving you a copy of the first 13 episodes of Smallville Season One. Never figured out how to view them?
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 19, 2002 at 10:28 AM »
Remind me nga to post "The Very Secret Diaries of Lex Luthor" and "The Very Secret Diaries of Lana's Unnamed Boyfriend" here after the premiere. With permission from Pagan and Redmary of course, because they wrote the bulk of it. I think I added some stuff to the end, though.

Mr. Hankey - Are you willing to donate the first 13 eps to a needy TV fan? Please? *blink, blink*