Author Topic: Smallville  (Read 21024 times)

Offline Lex Luthor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Smallville's coming to Studio 23
« Reply #90 on: Feb 28, 2003 at 04:25 PM »
season 2 is entirely different from season 1, not just a rehash.... for one thing, there's not too many episodes dealing with the "Freak of the Week" anymore...

now it's more concentrated on the story, Lex going more evil, the love triangle between Clark, Chloe and Lana, and other more interesting stories... there's been 2 red kryptonite episodes already, and many more... and don't forget the Christopher Reeve episode :)

yup, noticed this change of event too. in fact, my system was so used to the "freak of the week" style of season one that i kinda miss it. not that i'm complaining. this current approach, i think, is much better...
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2003 at 11:16 AM by Lex Luthor »

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Mar 01, 2003 at 04:11 PM »
just saw the Chris Reeve episode, galing sobra! one of the best episodes so far for smallville... makes the series more interesting as well :)

Offline Calhoun

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • We don't discuss business on the table.
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Mar 07, 2003 at 12:57 AM »
it's really amazing how the writers keep us enthralled when we know already what'll happen to these characters.

I'd like to think that the writers and creators of Smallville are retelling the Superman myth in the best way they can, even at the risk of disturbing some of what has been written, or shown onscreen, before.  

The very friendship of Lex and Clark, one of the most vital relationships in the show, should not exist at all if they followed the comics right? (Superman experts feel free to correct me, I only collected the comics briefly during the death and resurrection saga, my knowledge has a good possibility of being limited).  

Now for the guilty admission, I'm a sucker for a good romance and I just want Clark and Lana to have a happy ending.  A real happy one, not one of those great romantic tragedies where one of them dies but both of them felt true love (but if this were written and shot well I might not mind).  The suspense and drama between them every other episode might be getting to me.  

Then there's Chloe.  In S2E16 "Fever" she reads her true feelings for Clark while he's asleep.  It's so poignant and touching it makes my heart go to her too, her knowledge that right now Clark's heart belongs to someone else yet she's willing to wait for her turn because she knows he's worth it.  Call it what you want but these are the rare moments when I'm happy to be paying my bills, my electricity and cable bills in particular.  

However I still lean slightly towards Lana ending up with Clark.  I know it might just be a beauty bias, but I remember how disparate their levels seemed to be at the start of the series.  Lana being at the top of the school "heirarchy".  Being a cheerleader, dating the captain of the football team, and having the looks of an angel, Lana was on top of her world.  Clark was the geeky boy who always got literally weak kneed whenever he came close to Lana.  Eventually their statures gravitated closer and closer, as well as their friendship.  Lana came down to earth as her world was shaken by her relationship with Whitney and developments in her family.  Clark grew in stature not because of his growing powers, but because he was learning to harness them better.  The things he learned about himself and the tests that came his way also added to his growth.  

But we've seen how fate kept throwing a monkey wrench at them everytime they seemed to grow too near.  I wish at the end they'd be together because after all they've been through they deserve each other.  I also wish Chloe find her happiness, if not in Clark then in someone else.  

For all we know the producers have a surprise for us.  Rumors swirled about Season 2 for some time, an appearance from Bruce Wayne or even Lois Lane.  In the meantime let's continue enjoying the show...  :)

Offline Swiss Knife

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Mar 07, 2003 at 07:41 AM »
The other night's episode of Smallville was special.

Their guest was Christopher Reeve as Time Man of the Year - Virgil Swann = a brilliant scientist who uncovered the secrets of planet Krypton, and holds the key to the mysteries about Clark's past and future. They were even playing the Superman(the movie) theme song as the background music while Virgil Swann was revealing to Clark that his true name is Kal-el and the mysteries of his planet and his origin. Virgil Swann showed to Clark the galaxy were Krypton used to be.

I'm so happy to hear this.  I can't wait to see this one.  I'm sure it's the best  episode of Smallville.  Its giving me goosebumps already.   :)

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Mar 21, 2003 at 06:40 PM »
Like the others, I definitely agree that the second season is better. Not that the first wasn't solid but all the episodes in the new season seem to delve deeper into all the main characters personalities. Rosetta, (the Christopher Reeve ep.) being the high point of season 2 so far.

The first of six new episodes will air on April 15 in the US, with the finale scheduled on May 20. I've read that the writers plan to introduce a young Bruce Wayne during season 3 or 4.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #95 on: Mar 23, 2003 at 05:22 PM »
Any Smallville fans? Join The Talon!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Smallville's coming to Studio 23
« Reply #96 on: Apr 04, 2003 at 08:32 AM »
finally, season 2 started! caught it last Tuesday, almost missed it 'til some friends reminded me. once again, I was blown away like the first episode last season. cool songs too.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Apr 04, 2003 at 10:09 AM »
yeah, I was able to catch parts of it, nagulat ako season 2 na dito... quite fast, considering season 2 isn't even over yet sa US... :)

Offline johndoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Apr 04, 2003 at 06:43 PM »
i downloaded the fifth episode(REDUX) of season 2.. in kazaa... ;D ;D..

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Apr 11, 2003 at 10:03 AM »
the second episode was a scorcher. lex's fiance was hot but kristin was even hotter. nothing beats seeing her in heat. sana ganito lagi sa lahat ng episode.  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2003 at 02:36 AM »
Reposting this news article from SciFi.Com, since I thought it was funny:

Smallville's Clark To Stay Pure

Smallville executive producer Al Gough told TV Guide Online that Clark Kent will remain a virgin for the foreseeable future. "Yes, Clark is a virgin ... and will remain so," Gough told the site. "The show is about romance, not about sex, like Dawson's Creek, where they just hop into bed with each other."

Clark (Tom Welling) is in a love triangle with Lana Lang (Kristin Kreuk) and Chloe Sullivan (Allison Mack). But, Gough said, "once you cross that line [of sex], then you forever change the character and the series. It's not something we want to do at this stage of the game. It'll definitely be down the road."
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline GL2814

• Collector
  • In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night...
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2003 at 06:10 AM »
I think Clark remains a virgin until he gets married to Lois in Superman 2.   :D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2003 at 08:34 AM »
it's molly dodd! it's freakin' molly dodd on smallville!!!  :o

he he he... please excuse the enthusiasm, it's always so nice to see blair brown back on the small screen.  :D

it's a bit of a stretch to think that someone who looks like tom welling is a wallflower in real life 'no?

also, i think it was a great move for the series' creators to include chloe's character... and how clark would eventually find himself falling for her... i mean, how would they explain his attraction to lois lane-type characters if he falls for prom queen-types like lana lang. i think that was very smart of them to do that...  ::)

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
Season 2 Finale
« Reply #103 on: Jun 01, 2003 at 12:17 AM »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Dec 03, 2003 at 04:41 PM »
Since November Sweeps just ended and all the shows I like to watch are in reruns, I finally caught up completely with Season Three of this show.

Considering they originally planned for this show to end after its 5th season, I think Lex should be a bit more evil at this point. Hopefully his current "condition" is the start of this aspect of the story arc.

I still don't understand why they don't bring Lana and Clark together. Lana was Clark's girlfriend in the comics, right? Not just some crush he never acted on? Maybe they're afraid ratings will parallel what happens on other shows when two characters with sexual tension finally consummate their relationship.

The Smallville 1961 episode was fun, but it's been done before on countless other shows.

I also have a problem with Perry White in Smallville having suspicions about Clark having powers. This is the "new" Clark, who doesn't even wear glasses. The editor-in-chief will be really stupid not to know it's him in the future when Superman appears and Clark is his employee.  ::)

The writers also need to learn how to improve their continuity since this is a serial. I mean, it borders on ridiculous. In episode 2, Lex is recovering from malaria, then in the very next episode, he says he's never been sick for even one day in his life since the meteor shower.

Maybe the malaria affected his short-term memory?  ;D

Lastly, poor Pete Ross. In three seasons, he's moved from token black character to best friend who knows the secret to extra. I don't think he's uttered more than 3 sentences this entire season.

Well, it could be worse. He could be Whitney'ed.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2003 at 01:31 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Dec 04, 2003 at 04:56 AM »

I still don't understand why they don't bring Lana and Clark together. Lana was Clark's girlfriend in the comics, right? Not just some crush he never acted on? Maybe they're afraid ratings will parallel what happens on other shows when two characters with sexual tension finally consummate their relationship.

actually... i'm alittle confused as to what version of the superman/smallville story the writers of this show are being faithful to:

golden age (in which case clark's mom would've been "mary" kent and lana DID become clarks girlfriend),

the silver age (matha kent na... but lana was clark's "unrequited love" since he was already under a "geeky" facade by the time he was in high school)

or the "post-byrne" superman (in which martha ken pa rin and clark was a school jock while he and lana were an "item" all through high school).

??? (really confusing! although i always figured they were following the silver age timeline.)

Offline meledson

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Smallville's coming to Studio 23
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2004 at 04:46 PM »
Aside from Charmed, Smallville ia nother fav series of my wife and I usually watch it with her.  Hindi tala kung minsan ay ikumpira mo ang mga Superman movies sa smallville.  Siguro sa comics medyo naiiba rin sa TV and film.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2004 at 05:38 PM »
Aside from Charmed, Smallville ia nother fav series of my wife and I usually watch it with her.  Hindi tala kung minsan ay ikumpira mo ang mga Superman movies sa smallville.  Siguro sa comics medyo naiiba rin sa TV and film.

i think they (smallville's producers) really intended to stray from the comic book mythos naman. IMO it's more geared towards the dawson's creek crowd than comic book aficionados.  ;D

the movies naman (with christopher reeves) are very faithful to the "pre-byrne" superman.  :)

wouldn't it be a hoot if they put in the lana/manhunter storyline into smallville... i'd bet that stirs things up.   >:D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004 at 05:40 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline zerone_null

• Apprentice
  • read between the lines.
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2004 at 08:49 AM »
the way smallville veers from any superman storyline is genius.

"superman-iacs" will always love superman.
not doing the same old story (stories) always gives everyone something to look forward to.

Airing the same thing over and over could dull SUPERMAN's luster.
OT: To be fair, it (somehow) works on some sagas like STAR WARS.. which if one would read through books created after the original trilogy, would find that the story-line is actually incredibly in-line (with very very slight variations)
~~~spfft.

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 07:52 PM »
 Wonder when will Studio 23 start airing season 4? I already saw the first 2 episodes and so far it looks promising. Clark has now met Lois Lane. Lana Lang still looks better than Lois which is similar to Superman 3 where Anette O' Toole starred as Lana. She looks better than Margot Kidder too who also appeared in episode 2 of season 4. Too bad Chris Reeve won't be around anymore for future episodes.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2004 at 07:53 PM by aszamora »

Offline Silent Stinger

• Apprentice
  • A Matrix fanatic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Dec 23, 2005 at 12:09 PM »
At long last Studio 23's picking up the series. Now I don't have to download Video CDs to get my weekly dose of the lovely Kristin Kreuk.  ;D She is just sooo hot even though she's short!

Here's a trivia about Kristin Kreuk. Besides having stunning looks, she has also the brains to match her looks! ;D She studied Environmental Science and she also wants to get into Criminology.  ::)

Offline Silent Stinger

• Apprentice
  • A Matrix fanatic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Dec 23, 2005 at 12:17 PM »
I think Clark remains a virgin until he gets married to Lois in Superman 2.   :D

Question: Would there be any possibility that the screenwriters of Smallville changes the original story line of Superman? Specifically, the part where Clark marries Lois....
I actually prefer Lana better! haha.  ;D  I don't get why I really hate Lois for Clark. I even think Cloey is better than Lois.   :-X

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Dec 23, 2005 at 06:09 PM »
Question: Would there be any possibility that the screenwriters of Smallville changes the original story line of Superman

They have been, constantly... so anything can happen.  :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Dec 31, 2005 at 10:35 AM »
Reposting this news article from SciFi.Com, since I thought it was funny:

Smallville's Clark To Stay Pure

Smallville executive producer Al Gough told TV Guide Online that Clark Kent will remain a virgin for the foreseeable future. "Yes, Clark is a virgin ... and will remain so," Gough told the site. "The show is about romance, not about sex, like Dawson's Creek, where they just hop into bed with each other."

Clark (Tom Welling) is in a love triangle with Lana Lang (Kristin Kreuk) and Chloe Sullivan (Allison Mack). But, Gough said, "once you cross that line [of sex], then you forever change the character and the series. It's not something we want to do at this stage of the game. It'll definitely be down the road."

I guess in this case, "down the road" meant "two years."  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2005 at 10:44 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 01:31 PM »
Catch Season 5 on Studio 23 beginning March 14th, 8:20PM.

Yes, this is the season with James Marsters from "Buffy", Aquaman, Lana as a lesbian vampire, the death of a major character... and Lois' pole dancing.  ;D

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 01:57 PM »

Yes, this is the season with James Marsters from "Buffy", Aquaman, Lana as a lesbian vampire, the death of a major character... and Lois' pole dancing. ;D

This is also the season that Clana did 'it' ;D

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Apr 08, 2006 at 11:56 AM »

Yes, this is the season with James Marsters from "Buffy", Aquaman, Lana as a lesbian vampire, the death of a major character... and Lois' pole dancing.  ;D

Haven't reached the 100th episode yet but last Tuesday was the vampire episode. The head of the vampire sorority was Buffy.  ;D

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2006 at 10:49 AM »
Finally, Lex vs. Clark next season! Can't wait.

Off-topic:

CW did not push through with the Aquaman series. You may see the trailer if you click the title.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2006 at 12:49 PM »
The head of the vampire sorority was Buffy.

What was even funnier was that "Spike" was the one telling Clark that there's no such thing as vampires.  ;D

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Nov 16, 2006 at 10:40 AM »
Season 6 have started but not on Studio23.

Lana is pregnant....but who's the father?