Author Topic: Are you collecting or are you just hoarding?  (Read 11779 times)

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Are you collecting or are you just hoarding?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008 at 11:52 AM »

OT: :o :o :o HU-WAW !!!!!  :o :o :o
Ang tindi ng collections nyo sir xage !!!!!!  ;D :D ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008 at 11:54 AM by JAQY888 »
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008 at 12:14 PM »
Holy Cow! Congrat xage.... you the man! :o

This is total obsession with DVD variants....the most dangerous syndrome of all! ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008 at 12:15 PM by pchin »

Offline throwbackchampion

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • Exquisite WWE DVD Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2008 at 02:21 PM »
xage addiction na yan! im doin that on my wrestling dvd's (double dipping & etc.) pero unlike yours WOW! multi dipping for each film exclusivity

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2008 at 07:42 PM »
whoa sir xage!!!  :o

You're absolutely hardcore.  ;D

Even if I had the money, I can't see myself buying all those variants  ???

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2008 at 08:20 PM »
Grabe thats wat i call a COLLECTION!
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2008 at 08:35 PM »
Sir xage that is a nice collection of dvd's. I can't say that is hoarding but passion with what you do.  ;D Next time kesa i-flush nyo sa bowl ibigay nyo na lang sa'kin kung ayaw nyo na. Pm me na lang.  ;D ;)  ;) 

Btw sir throwback I've also seen your collection of wrestling dvd's in your blog and they are very nice too.

Offline xage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008 at 11:04 AM »
Thanks...

;D I didnt get initially the point of the thread creator.. but heck. DVD collecting is enjoyable!

No offense upinsmoke, but your thread title differs from your curiosity which is: "ratio of single watch, unwatched, and multiple watched titles"

I've been getting philosophical with my DVD hobby lately.  I've been wondering, am I collecting or am I just hoarding DVDs?  Everytime I go to these sales, I act like it's the last sale ever and grab everything I could even the titles I only kinda want.  I'm picking up titles because they're cheap.

Out of 350+ legit titles I have, I would say 20% are still unwatched, 50% I've only watched once, around 30% I've watched more than once.  I have 4 box sets still untouched.  I consider a title to be sulit if I've watched it more than once.  That's been my goal, to watch everything twice but it's darn near impossible.  I've tried putting a quota by watching 1 DVD a day, 2 on weekend but it's difficult.  With the new titles coming out as I add more to my collection, I think it's safe to say that majority of my collection will never be watched more than once.  By the time I get around to it, DVD rot would've probably eaten some of it.

My collection is just small time compared to what some of you die hard collectors have.  I wonder what your ratio of single watch, unwatched, and multiple watched titles?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008 at 11:10 AM by xage »
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008 at 10:45 PM »
No offense upinsmoke, but your thread title differs from your curiosity which is: "ratio of single watch, unwatched, and multiple watched titles"

Sir upinsmoke is questioning why people continue buying DVDs when they're not even watching the titles they already have. 

In psychology, there's a distinction between collecting and hoarding.  Collecting refers to valuable items; hoarding refers to items with little or no value.  A collector organizes his collection and takes pride in it; the hoarder fills his house with uselless junk that he refuses to throw away because he feels he might need them someday.

OCPD (obsessive-compulsive personality disorder) is related to compulsive hoarding.  The OC Foundation's website on compulsive hoarding states:   

"Compulsive hoarding is not just an enthusiast's passion for collecting stamps, dolls, or baseball cards. Neither is it someone who likes to "tinker," and fix up old cars or broken furniture. People with compulsive hoarding syndrome may have immense difficulty throwing anything away, from the oldest paper clip, to a used food container, to an out-of-date newspaper, for fear that they might need those items in the future." http://www.ocfoundation.org/hoarding/research-articles/compulsive-hoarding-current-status-research.php

In the famous Collyer brothers case in 1947, two men living together in a Harlem town house full of junk died as a result of compulsive hoarding.  One died when a pile of rubbish fell on him, then the other, who depended on his brother for everything, starved to death.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008 at 10:59 PM by barrister »

Offline Speedracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008 at 11:18 PM »
Hoarder. Am guilty as charged  ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008 at 11:26 PM by Speedracer1 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008 at 11:26 PM »
Sir upinsmoke is questioning why people continue buying DVDs when they're not even watching the titles they already have. 

In psychology, there's a distinction between collecting and hoarding.  Collecting refers to valuable items; hoarding refers to items with little or no value.  A collector organizes his collection and takes pride in it; the hoarder fills his house with uselless junk that he refuses to throw away because he feels he might need them someday.

OCPD (obsessive-compulsive personality disorder) is related to compulsive hoarding.  The OC Foundation's website on compulsive hoarding states:   

"Compulsive hoarding is not just an enthusiast's passion for collecting stamps, dolls, or baseball cards. Neither is it someone who likes to "tinker," and fix up old cars or broken furniture. People with compulsive hoarding syndrome may have immense difficulty throwing anything away, from the oldest paper clip, to a used food container, to an out-of-date newspaper, for fear that they might need those items in the future." http://www.ocfoundation.org/hoarding/research-articles/compulsive-hoarding-current-status-research.php

In the famous Collyer brothers case in 1947, two men living together in a Harlem town house full of junk died as a result of compulsive hoarding.  One died when a pile of rubbish fell on him, then the other, who depended on his brother for everything, starved to death.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

I watched an episode of Oprah with the topic compulsive hoarding.   A woman filled her 3000 sq ft home (eerie, same kind of pic provided by barrister) with various stuff she has bought, collected, or items she said would be given as gifts.  It took a team of 100 people eight weeks to organize the stuff (to be categorize as keep, sell, donate, trash) she had accumulated, and ultimately to clean up her home.

I saw this topic the morning after I watched that episode.  Maybe the OP also saw that episode.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008 at 11:40 PM by Munskie »

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #40 on: Mar 19, 2010 at 04:49 PM »
collecting : since may specific goal ako kapag bumibili... best picture and titles na napanood ko na before na magaganda...

hoarding : basta nakasale kahit di ko gusto bumibili ako lalo na kapag buy 1 take 1 pero dapat may kasama na gusto kong title.

because of that "Amistad" dvd my wife gave me... naaddict ako sa dvds.... huwag na sana sa bluray at ht.
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #41 on: Mar 19, 2010 at 05:26 PM »
Collecting: But I'm not a collector. I see a movie I like, I buy it. I don't purchase a movie for novelty sake -- steelcase packaging, etc.

Offline mujacko2002

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 672
« Reply #42 on: Mar 19, 2010 at 07:34 PM »
I watched an episode of Oprah with the topic compulsive hoarding.   A woman filled her 3000 sq ft home (eerie, same kind of pic provided by barrister) with various stuff she has bought, collected, or items she said would be given as gifts.  It took a team of 100 people eight weeks to organize the stuff (to be categorize as keep, sell, donate, trash) she had accumulated, and ultimately to clean up her home.

I saw this topic the morning after I watched that episode.  Maybe the OP also saw that episode.

Mabuhay!
I guess, from this post, if you see your place/home/house is just like in the picture or something closer or worst, better fixed yourself first. Or at least if you feel/sense like you're starting to isolate yourself from other people or from participating in other activities, starting to neglect your responsibilities, again, go & see a doctor.

Anyway, for me, whether you're a collector, DVD addict, just a movie buff or a sucker for super sale like me or whatever you want to call it, at the end of the day the question is "does it make you a better/good person?" if the answer is YES, GO GO GO, you're in a healthy environment.

jmtcw
God is good all the time!!!
mypalhs.com
planetromeo.com

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Mar 19, 2010 at 09:21 PM »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Mar 20, 2010 at 06:05 PM »

Uso yata ngayon sa TV ang hoarding disorders.

I recently saw an episode of "Hoarders" on Sky Cable's Biography Channel.

And this afternoon, I just saw CNN's Larry King --- the show featured hoarders from TLC's "Hoarding: Buried Alive" series.

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010 at 06:06 PM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jun 10, 2010 at 08:07 AM »
Hoarding can be good.   My grandfather, may he rest in peace, hoarded 18kt gold bracelets and 24kt gold commemorative coins when he was young, accumulating a dresser full of it.  From age 40 til he died at age 76, the gold hoard was progressively sold or pawned off and used to support his medication and retirement, send his kids to college and still had enough for an heirloom for 6 bros and 4 nephews.  
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2010 at 09:46 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jun 10, 2010 at 08:43 AM »
^ I think that's more likely an investment rather than hoarding. I myself like "hoarding" pieces of paper which come from this place called the "Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas". It comes in different colors and numerical values.