Author Topic: Are you collecting or are you just hoarding?  (Read 11782 times)

Offline upinsmoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Are you collecting or are you just hoarding?
« on: May 09, 2008 at 11:06 AM »
I've been getting philosophical with my DVD hobby lately.  I've been wondering, am I collecting or am I just hoarding DVDs?  Everytime I go to these sales, I act like it's the last sale ever and grab everything I could even the titles I only kinda want.  I'm picking up titles because they're cheap.

Out of 350+ legit titles I have, I would say 20% are still unwatched, 50% I've only watched once, around 30% I've watched more than once.  I have 4 box sets still untouched.  I consider a title to be sulit if I've watched it more than once.  That's been my goal, to watch everything twice but it's darn near impossible.  I've tried putting a quota by watching 1 DVD a day, 2 on weekend but it's difficult.  With the new titles coming out as I add more to my collection, I think it's safe to say that majority of my collection will never be watched more than once.  By the time I get around to it, DVD rot would've probably eaten some of it.

My collection is just small time compared to what some of you die hard collectors have.  I wonder what your ratio of single watch, unwatched, and multiple watched titles?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 11:10 AM by upinsmoke »

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Are you collecting or are you just hoarding?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008 at 11:37 AM »
collect.  i only get the movies i like. i dont see the need to get every title out there, sale or no sale,

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008 at 02:37 PM »
I've been getting philosophical with my DVD hobby lately.  I've been wondering, am I collecting or am I just hoarding DVDs?  Everytime I go to these sales, I act like it's the last sale ever and grab everything I could even the titles I only kinda want.  I'm picking up titles because they're cheap.

Out of 350+ legit titles I have, I would say 20% are still unwatched, 50% I've only watched once, around 30% I've watched more than once.  I have 4 box sets still untouched.  I consider a title to be sulit if I've watched it more than once.  That's been my goal, to watch everything twice but it's darn near impossible.  I've tried putting a quota by watching 1 DVD a day, 2 on weekend but it's difficult.  With the new titles coming out as I add more to my collection, I think it's safe to say that majority of my collection will never be watched more than once.  By the time I get around to it, DVD rot would've probably eaten some of it.

My collection is just small time compared to what some of you die hard collectors have.  I wonder what your ratio of single watch, unwatched, and multiple watched titles?

I don't hoard or get movies just for the sake of building up a "collection." There's a ton of special edition gift set DVDs of uninteresting or really bad movies out there that I don't even go near to.

Rhetorical question time: If you're grabbing DVDs left and right only because they're cheap or what have you, what do you think that says about you and your attitude towards movies/films and television shows? If these were books, would you buy all the titles on the bargain bins? Would you get Arthur C. Clarke's Astounding Days and Merriam-Webster's 2004 Dictionary?

I have a lot of unwatched DVDs, too. But they're titles that I like. I'll get around to watching them eventually when the mood requires it. That's the key, there should be no pressure. Just be glad that if you want to see a good movie, you can easily pick it out of your own shelf anytime you want.

Just because you've watched a DVD only once, it doesn't mean it isn't sulit. I have about the same number of DVDs as you -- and I can recall that I've only seen my copies of Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Pulp Fiction, Hot Fuzz, The Iron Giant, In the Mood For Love, etc. only once. And I've had some of these DVDs with me for years. Does that "de-value" them in my "collection?"

For me, it doesn't. Sobrang sulit pa rin na meron akong kopya ng mga ito kahit na hindi ko sila gaano napapanood. For you, you may have to answer that on your own or listen to what others have to say in these forums. Why are you getting so many DVDs?

I apply the same philosophy I have in purchasing and reading books. DVDs are like that, and are just as awesome.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 02:39 PM by Dan »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008 at 03:13 PM »
Collecting doesn't mean having to watch every title you have imho. I have DVDs of all the films I enjoyed in the theaters as a kid and teenager. Doesn't mean I'd watch them again though. I suppose I just enjoy having them on my shelves... like stamps, coins, paintings, etc.

That said, I suppose old-timers like me went overboard when we started this hobby. I have more than 2K titles now (including the TV show boxes) but I've practically stopped buying even during sales. Last I computed, assuming 120 minutes per film and watching 4 films a day (or roughly 8 hours), I need about 10 months to finish my backlog.

So... tama na.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 03:17 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008 at 03:17 PM »
Hoarding, though much less these days than I used to.

But it's still far more than what would be considered sane.  :o

;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008 at 03:24 PM »
Yeah, somebody actually asked me if I felt bad at having spent so much on my collection only to have its value eroded by all these sales and pirated versions. That's when I realized how insane this addiction was because the thought had never even crossed my mind.

Maybe we should start a new thread on recovering addicts. :D
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008 at 03:34 PM »
When I started buying DVD's in the 1990's, they were more than 1k pesos each. With each price drop, your eyes pop and think that you can get so many more DVD's for the same amount of money. It's a bit like the logic of our wives during sales. The price is still dropping but, like the other posters, I have quite a lot of unviewed films. My guess is maybe 250. Then you start to slow down and check reviews before you purchase a new DVD.

Having said that, every now and then, you discover a new genre and then there's another collecting spree!  ;D
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008 at 04:36 PM »
Maybe we should start a new thread on recovering addicts. :D 

Ayos na idea yan a.  (I'm serious.) 

I'll start a thread!!!

I've seen many write-ups about internet addiction, a relatively new phenomenon.  But I've never heard anything about DVD addiction. 

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008 at 05:52 PM »
it really depends on what you intend to do with what you have bought.

if you buy dvds without any intention of viewing it, i think that would be hoarding. but if you intend to watch it, i believe it would still fall under the collecting category.

having a backlog in unwatched titles is but normal. we don't just buy dvds whenever we feel the urge to watch a particular title, right? so i guess there is nothing wrong in buying numerous titles in one shopping trip.

as for me, i am collecting. although i am guilty of the backlog syndrome too.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline jackdejesus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008 at 06:08 PM »
I would classify myself as a collector. I've watched all of my 300+ movies except for 2. Maybe its because I only buy movies I like or I think I would like. No point in buying dvds I don't intend to watch.

I do have a huge backlog of special features though. I'd always buy the 2 disc version but I'd never watch the features :-[

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008 at 06:09 PM »
At the beginning of this insane addiction. it was collecting - primarily to build up a library. This was already on top of a 400+ Laser Disc collection, so there is precedent to the "insanity". It was also nice to look at all those DVD spines side by side and growing.

When the prices dropped it became hoarding - simply because the money bought more DVD's. Then, sanity creeps in, makes you pause and reflect on the pecuniary side of the hobby.

First off, I always saw DVD's as an expense, not an investment. It substituted, with great convenience, going to the theater to watch a movie. At least with DVD's you don't just have to recall the experience, you can view it over and over. It also was cheaper to buy than rent at that time and pay late charges.

Secondly, the money would have gone somewhere else, probably even less tangible. With DVD's, at least we have tangible proof of where the money went. Think of them as viewable ticket stubs.

Lastly, in this insane world, this is the lesser evil.

Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008 at 10:47 PM »
Lastly, in this insane world, this is the lesser evil.

A friend's wife once told angrily asked him, "Bakit ba bili ka ng bili ng DVD???"

His calm answer: "Alam mo, maraming bisyo sa mundo. Hindi ako naninigarilyo. Hindi ako umiinom. Hindi ako nagdrodroga. Hindi ako nagsusugal. Hindi ako nambababae. Dapat siguro, imbis na magalit, matuwa ka na ito lang ang iisa kong bisyo, nakikinabang ka pa."

Translation (For Paul ;) ):

"Why do you keep buying DVDs???"

"You know, there are so many vices in the world. I don't smoke.. drink... do drugs... gamble... or have mistresses. I think instead of being angry, you should be happy this is my only vice... and you get to enjoy it, too."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 11:04 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008 at 04:54 AM »
That's exactly the same thing I always tell my wife.  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008 at 07:29 AM »
I've been getting philosophical with my DVD hobby lately.  I've been wondering, am I collecting or am I just hoarding DVDs? 

You're just a compulsive HT hobbyst like many here.  ;D Not a hoarder.  People hoard for pecuniary reasons that often deprive others the right to have access to what you hoarded. Like when they hoard on limited release action toy figures and then sell them at exhorbitant prices.  ;D

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008 at 07:32 AM »
Thanks Mr. Hankey for the translation.  ;D

Yes, totally agree to it & I used it a few times na on my wife...now she keeps quiet & never complain na... :D In fact, when my other relatives ask my wife, she even advocate for me such as "So long as my husband doesn't drink, smoke, finding girls, etc...I don't mind his DVD hobby"  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008 at 07:42 AM »
I think we should distinguish between a hobby and a vice. Or are they the same?   What I know is that drinking, smoking, gambling, drugs, and prostis are vices.  Not hobbies.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008 at 07:43 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008 at 07:50 AM »
I think we should distinguish between a hobby and a vice. Or are they the same?   What I know is that drinking, smoking, gambling, drugs, and prostis are vices.  Not hobbies.   ;D

Yes, that's exactly what I implied to my wife...DVD collecting is just a hobby not vices...thus finally she keeps quiet na. Her complaint was that I was spending too much on DVD. There's also one time I got annoyed of the same complaint hence I asked back "Would you rather me spend money on DVD or on girls?" :-X ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008 at 07:50 AM by pchin »

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008 at 07:53 AM »
Hoarding no, compulsive buying yes!  ;D I only buy DVD's I really like but sometimes there are DVD's that you can't really resist  buying because of its cool packaging (R1 or R2, Steelcase or not) and because of the sale that's been going around these past few months I've been buying several DVD's eventhough I don't have enough time to watch them all. Right now several of these DVD's are untouch and became a display figures in my rack. A bad habit that I want to remove.  ;D :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008 at 07:54 AM by dyerds »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008 at 08:05 AM »
Hoarding no, compulsive buying yes!... I've been buying several DVD's eventhough I don't have enough time to watch them all. Right now several of these DVD's are untouch and became a display figures in my rack. A bad habit that I want to remove.  ;D :D

It sounds hoarding to me. ;D In a thesaurus d meaning of hoard: To store up supplies, usually well beyond one's needs. Perhaps someone could provde a better distiction btw the two terms?  Now I'm starting to feel guilty thinking I'm hoarding but under the disguise of collecting... ;D

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008 at 08:11 AM »
When I was younger, I always wanted to be a movie critic like Leonard Martin, Roger Ebert, Richard Schickel etc.
Movies is my passion, not only do I watch movies I also am interested on how a movie is made.
DVD's gave me that chance through its special features.
Yes, I do watch the special features of my DVD's.  ;D

During the recent sales my DVD buying definitely increased more than two-fold.
I would my classify myself as a collector(or am I just trying to justify my DVD addiction? ???)
I do not have any unsealed DVD's only about 5% are unwatched.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008 at 08:32 AM »
It sounds hoarding to me. ;D In a thesaurus d meaning of hoard: To store up supplies, usually well beyond one's needs. Perhaps someone could provde a better distiction btw the two terms?  Now I'm starting to feel guilty thinking I'm hoarding but under the disguise of collecting... ;D

Nothing to be guilty about.  Unless your kid doesn't have enough milk and you are engaging in that.

"Beyond one's needs" can be relative and debatable.  When you stack up on commodities before an incoming typhoon or war, you're getting supplies beyond your regular needs but that's not hoarding. But when you stack up on rice in an effort to manipulate its market prices, that's hoarding.

I am of the opinion that hoarding applies to getting a large supply of just one item for commercial and pecuniary reasons.  Like when you buy all the copies of the Extended LOTR depleting market supply so that when you unload it, you can command the price you want, often higher than SRP. In that sense, hoarding can only be done by merchants, not consumers. Hoarding has more implication in the supply and demand chain.

So when you buy one of each title but many titles at a time, you're just a compulsive consumer shopping with thoughtless abandon. Thoughtless because you have no idea how you can watch all of them with the time you have.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008 at 08:40 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008 at 08:47 AM »
I am of the opinion that hoarding applies to getting a large supply of just one item for commercial and pecuniary reasons.  Like when you buy all the copies of the Extended LOTR depleting market supply so that when you unload it, you can command the price you want, often higher than SRP. In that sense, hoarding can only be done by merchants, not consumers. Hoarding has more implication in the supply and demand chain.

Ah I see...you make my day brighter bro...now I can sleep soundly knowing I'm a collector...not guilty! :D

So when you buy one of each title but many titles at a time, you're just a compulsive consumer shopping with thoughtless abandon. Thoughtless because you have no idea how you can watch all of them with the time you have.  ;D

Hehe...agree, this will be another problem story for another day to discuss.... :P
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008 at 09:54 AM by pchin »

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008 at 09:14 AM »
Nothing to be guilty about.  Unless your kid doesn't have enough milk and you are engaging in that.

"Beyond one's needs" can be relative and debatable.  When you stack up on commodities before an incoming typhoon or war, you're getting supplies beyond your regular needs but that's not hoarding. But when you stack up on rice in an effort to manipulate its market prices, that's hoarding.

Nadali nyo sir av!  ;D Now we can conclude that many of us here are collectors and at the same... compulsive buyers.  :D ;) Kelan kaya next sale sa Astro?  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008 at 11:08 AM »
Guys, medyo OT but I'm not one to encourage anyone on this highly hedonistic DVD collecting hobby.  ;D  Especially when I see there are people getting hungry right in the Metro.

So if you can't help but splurge 2T - 5T at Astro or Odyssey, that's just fine, but at least, in your rush to get home to watch them, don't forget to give even a 5 peso coin or two to a street urchin begging at your car or taxi window.   That 5 peso coin means a lot more to that underfed child than to any of us in this forum.

And don't succumb to that excuse of not giving because "mamimihasa lang yan."  Afterall, namimihasa rin naman tayo in our expensive hobbies.   ;)

Ah I see...you make my day brighter bro...now I can sleep soundly knowing I'm a collector...not guilty! :D

Paul, I hope I didn't shorten your brighter day with what I said above.  ;D   I do have guilt-trips whenever I buy a DVD.  Knowing P199 can already put decent food on the table of a poor family. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008 at 11:28 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline darkgemini87

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008 at 09:23 AM »
I collect...I don't buy movies that I don't like even if they are on sale.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008 at 10:06 AM »
I collect but eventually i do get bored w/ it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008 at 11:11 PM by firewired »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008 at 12:00 AM »
I hope I didn't shorten your brighter day with what I said above.  ;D   I do have guilt-trips whenever I buy a DVD.  Knowing P199 can already put decent food on the table of a poor family. 

None at all bro, I can totally understand that.  ;)

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008 at 11:28 AM »
collecting or hoarding, does it matter? i don't think so... i think what matters most is that we're all happy! ;)

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008 at 04:13 PM »
collecting or hoarding, does it matter? i don't think so... i think what matters most is that we're all happy! ;)

Just like Prozac!  :D

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM »
Its all the fun and satisfaction of collecting!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

As you can see, I went further in obtaining more than 1 copy of the same movie!

My perception of hoarders are those who competes with collectors on obtaining first hand

1. A Limited Edition DVD set
2. Store Exclusive DVD Set

and sell it at a higher price either on Amazon or in Ebay

Oh...

here is another fun thing I do with DVDs  ;D   ;D   ;D

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008 at 11:38 AM by xage »
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x