Author Topic: DA (DVDs Anonymous)  (Read 8144 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DA (DVDs Anonymous)
« on: May 09, 2008 at 04:45 PM »
Picking up from sir firewired's idea (or joke, I don't know if he was serious ;D)

Yeah, somebody actually asked me if I felt bad at having spent so much on my collection only to have its value eroded by all these sales and pirated versions. That's when I realized how insane this addiction was because the thought had never even crossed my mind.

Maybe we should start a new thread on recovering addicts. :D

===============================================

You're buying too many DVDs, yet you know you already have a huge backlog of unwatched titles on your bookshelf.  Let's discuss it. 

Join the DA group!  You can start by saying, "My name is ______, and I'm a recovering DVD addict"  :D.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008 at 08:56 PM by barrister »

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
Re: DA (DVDs Anonymous)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008 at 06:05 PM »
My name is alpa and, i'm a recovering(?) DVD addict.  ;D
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008 at 06:21 PM »
Sir alpa!  I read your post on the other thread.  Don't worry, you sound fine to me.   :D

But I'm sure there are others who have a problem but don't recognize it, or don't want to admit it.  Under the 12-step program (developed by Alcoholics Anonymous), the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem.  ;)

How much is too much?  I don't know.  That depends on a lot of variables.

The danger is labelling an uncontrollabe urge as "collecting", then believing that everything's fine.

I know a lot of people who refer to their excessive spending as "investing"  ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 06:21 PM by barrister »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008 at 07:04 PM »
I know a lot of people who refer to their excessive spending as "investing"  ;)

Ok, how many of you keep your DVDs shrink-wrapped until that special time that you decide to watch them? Studies have shown that lots of unopened DVDs are a warning sign.

The solution, fortunately, is simple: remove those sealed DVDs (Region 1 preferred) from your shelves, put them in a box, go online, Visit PinoyDVD... then post them in the Marketplace at Php199 each. I guarantee that'll cure you. ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 07:08 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008 at 08:29 PM »
The solution, fortunately, is simple: remove those sealed DVDs (Region 1 preferred) from your shelves, put them in a box, go online, Visit PinoyDVD... then post them in the Marketplace at Php199 each. I guarantee that'll cure you. ;D

We'll help with the cure  ;D

My name is Dan, and I'm a recovering DVD addict

For real.

I realized I had a problem during the "Buy 3, Get 6 free" promo. I chose 3 DVDs which I really liked, then struggled for an hour finding 6 that were good...

Wait. If I did have a problem, wouldn't it make more sense if I just took whatever was on the shelf that I still didn't have, with no concern for movie quality?

Anyway,  I can't really tell if I'm cured or whatever. Last year I would come home from Astro once a week with at least five DVDs in hand. Nowadays, I just browse and get, on average, one title a month -- and it's usually a movie that showed in theaters a few months before or something current (like a blockbuster or something).

I've also lessened the frequency of R1 orders from my suking sellers lately. Either I've realized that I don't need to buy every DVD that interests me, or I've become poorer  ;D

Now with all the price drops, ngayon pa ako naging metikuloso. I would wait for certain titles to lower in price, resist the urge to impulse buy (which is d**n hard), and I've made a list of DVDs that I only must absolutely have from the new releases and nothing more. And with a few moments of weakness, I've also stopped looking at our very own buy and sell section for some time now.

Believe it or not, having a credit card helps. I have this set amount to spend in a month, and all my DVD purchases go through the card. If it goes near my limit I just stop, period. Because I'm more afraid of garnering debt than any sickness out there. It could be a different case for others.

I look at my DVDs and am thankful that there are only literally about less than 10 out of 400+ titles that I regret getting. The rest are movies that I really love to watch.

So there. If I can learn to curb it by even just a little, you can, too!!!

None of my DVDs are shrinkwrapped, by the way. All are unsealed.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 08:41 PM by Dan »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008 at 09:40 PM »
Previously I was a DVD Limited Edition addict together with Hemisphere1234 but glad it's cured na. ;D

Now with the new HD collection....history may repeat itself if not careful. :D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008 at 10:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing, sir Dan.

I realized I had a problem during the "Buy 3, Get 6 free" promo. I chose 3 DVDs which I really liked, then struggled for an hour finding 6 that were good...

That's step 1 of the 12-step AA program: Admitting the problem

Wait. If I did have a problem, wouldn't it make more sense if I just took whatever was on the shelf that I still didn't have, with no concern for movie quality?

Did I speak too soon?   :-[

Last year I would come home from Astro once a week with at least five DVDs in hand. Nowadays, I just browse and get, on average, one title a month -- and it's usually a movie that showed in theaters a few months before or something current (like a blockbuster or something).

I've also lessened the frequency of R1 orders from my suking sellers lately.

Now with all the price drops, ngayon pa ako naging metikuloso. I would wait for certain titles to lower in price, resist the urge to impulse buy (which is d**n hard), and I've made a list of DVDs that I only must absolutely have from the new releases and nothing more. And with a few moments of weakness, I've also stopped looking at our very own buy and sell section for some time now.

Believe it or not, having a credit card helps. I have this set amount to spend in a month, and all my DVD purchases go through the card. If it goes near my limit I just stop, period.

They call that "Learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior", or words to that effect ;).

So there. If I can learn to curb it by even just a little, you can, too!!!

That's the last step, "Helping others that suffer from the same addictions or compulsions."

Hallelujah!  You're cured!

================================================

Blog:

10 Simple Ways to Beat Impulse Buying
October 12, 2007 @ 5:30 pm - Written by Trent

The enemy of frugality and simplicity and your monthly budget is the impulse buy.

We’ve all done it, of course, and it can be incredibly difficult to stop the urge to buy once it’s in us.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/10/12/10-simple-ways-to-beat-impulse-buying/

================================================

Believe it or not, "Impulse Buying" is precisely what DVD is all about. 

The former home video model was rental.  Very few were willing to buy a home video because they were so expensive.  Warren Lieberfarb, also known as "The Godfather of DVD" wanted to change that. 

With the rental model, the rental shops were making more money from the home video business than the studios themselves.  Lieberfarb wanted to kill the rental shops by making home video so cheap that it will become an impulse buy.  With the rental shops out of the way, it's the studios that will make the big bucks.

Lieberfab bet that the sheer volume of video sales will be so high that the low price per title will be easily compensated. 

Your neighborhood video rental shop is blaming piracy for the disaster that the rental business has now become.  They would be blaming Lieberfarb, if only they knew any better.

A 2002 article on Lieberfarb:

The brains behind the DVD
Last modified:March 25, 2002, 4:00 AM PST

Within the electronics industry, Warren Lieberfarb, president of Warner Home Video,
is known as the "architect of the DVD," the man who introduced a new CD-based format
that delivers superior digital sound and picture.

...   'And when that happened, said Lieberfarb, who graduated from Wharton in 1965, there would no longer be any reason for consumers to go to video rental stores--the venue which currently provides "55 percent to 60 percent of the total income" of Hollywood movie studios. There would be no need for Warner Home Video to supply video rental stores with Warner Bros. films.

' "I decided that if we were going to compete, we had to change the rental model. My conclusion was you had to be able to sell movies at places where the customer does conventional shopping, like Wal-Mart, and make up in volume what you lose in margin." '

http://www.news.com/The-brains-behind-the-DVD/2009-1040_3-867543.html

Previously I was a DVD Limited Edition addict together with Hemisphere1234 but glad it's cured na. ;D

Now with the new HD collection....history may repeat itself if not careful. :D

That's precisely what the new format is for.  HD is intended to revive declining home video sales.  But I'm not biting.  ;)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 10:25 PM by barrister »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008 at 10:24 PM »

Hallelujah!  You're cured!

Amen!!!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008 at 11:14 PM »
Alien!!!

Blog:

I stopped, I looked, I wanted - Fighting the Impulse to Blindly Consume
March 11, 2008
By Jennifer Derrick

...   A certain set of DVD’s that I’ve been wanting forever is on the end cap and look — it’s on sale! The regular price is $180. It’s on sale for $100. I drool. I’ve wanted this set for quite some time. I’ve been looking for it, haunting the used dealers hoping for a deal.   ...

...   So the next time you’re confronted with consumer temptation, what can you do to get past it?

http://www.savingadvice.com/blog/2008/03/11/102056_i-stopped-i-looked-i-wanted-fighting-the-impulse-to-blindly-consume.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 11:15 PM by barrister »

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008 at 12:11 AM »

Sealed DVD's are still part on my collection, I've actually stopped counting. The reason they're still sealed - no time to watch.

Impulse buying was curtailed some time back. I followed a simple rule that kept the peace at home and satisfied the (small) family - whenever I wanted to purchase a DVD or related peripheral, I had to buy an equivalent "luho" for the rest of the family. So immediately, the actual cost of a purchase trebled.

I don't really worry much about the running cost of the hobby or addiction, since throughout it all, there was and is a conscious effort to maintain fiscal responsibility.

The truth of the matter is that I will still continue purchasing, since I believe I maintain enough self control when inside a store / mall. I also don't purchase on credit, all purchases for DVD's and peripherals are made in cash. Somehow it hurts more and makes you think when you have to pull cash out than when you sign for it.

So, is it an addiction for me? I don't think so - current circumstances actually make it a necessity. But it still does not excuse from needless impulse buying. Which hasn't happened in quite some time and hopefully doesn't happen again.

Denial - Stage one.

My name is espace and I am a DVD addict.

(it says so where my avatar should be).

A few hundred more posts and I'll be a guru, a few thousand posts, gosh, I'll be a legend.

Moderation, folks, that's the name of the game, including moderation itself.

Be cool, maximize your options and don't take anything too seriously.

Peace!

Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline upinsmoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008 at 10:53 AM »
Step one is admitting you have a problem.  I'm still in denial.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008 at 03:01 PM »
Step one is first diagnosing if what you have is an addiction.  ;D

Will you steal a DVD off the shelf if no one's looking?(Assuming the DVD on the shelf is not just a case.)   Will you steal money to get one? Will you let your family go hungry just to get one?  Will you brave a typhoon or a knee-high flood just to get to Astro?  Because that's the hallmark of an addition to drugs, gambling, sex, alcohol and any kind of addiction. 

If the answer is NO to all the questions, then you have nothing to worry about.  If YES to even just one of those questions, then you need psychiatric help.   ;D

Addiction is there when your world starts to fall apart without the object of addiction.  And you start to suffer withdrawal attacks like irritability, depression, kleptomanic, homicidal and suicidal tendencies. If these symptoms are there when you can't get to Astro, then you're a certified DVD maniac, err, addict.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008 at 03:16 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008 at 12:13 AM »
Luckily I don't have any of the above symtoms. However, my common symtoms include:

-Day & night (at work & at home) I'm obsessed with DVD (which DVD to buy, which DVD to watch, etc) ;D
-Decline in socializing with friends & relatives (rather spend time in Pinoydvd forum & internet) :-\
-Cut down quality time spent with loved ones esp my kids (I prefer to lock myself inside the HT) :-[

Very unhealthy but I'm learning to control & adjust my attitude & thoughts on certain circumstances. ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008 at 12:14 AM by pchin »

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008 at 10:50 AM »
My name is dyerds, and I'm a recovering DVD addict...sana. So far hindi pa naman po umaabot na ang katabi ko na sa pagtulog ay mga DVD's ko.  ;D That's why I know na curable ba pagiging addict ko.

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008 at 11:03 AM »
Sir alpa!  I read your post on the other thread.  Don't worry, you sound fine to me.   :D

thank you sir barrister! :)

the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem.  ;)

my dvd collection is not yet that enormous. but this early, i think it is safe to say that i am in the "early stages" of the addiction (if there is such a thing).  ::)

How much is too much?  I don't know.  That depends on a lot of variables.

perhaps the addiction is too much if you feel a pinch when you are about to buy dvds but nonetheless proceed buying.  :)

sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline jiggs84

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008 at 11:47 AM »

i dont know if im an addict already...
but since buying an LCD tv and HTIB late January, have bought around 40 DVD's already and a PS3 as well. all in a span of 3.5 months... ;)
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008 at 04:48 PM »
I have a lot more dvds that I can watch but I would like the opportunity to watch something if I have time to do so and that's why I still buy dvds for that reason.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008 at 04:57 PM »
i dont know if im an addict already...
but since buying an LCD tv and HTIB late January, have bought around 40 DVD's already and a PS3 as well. all in a span of 3.5 months... ;)

Ok lang yan sir.  It's normal to buy more DVDs when you have new gears.

Enjoy!

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008 at 07:16 PM »
Is being an addict and a collector the same?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008 at 08:45 PM »
Now that's a good one.

The terms are understood differently.  Collecting refers to the act of seeking and acquiring in a systematic manner.  An addicition refers to the uncontrollable compulsion to engage in an activity that produces harmful consequences. 

The distinction is that collecting only refers to the act; addiction refers to the compulsion itself.  One is a physical action; the other is a psychological state.  In this case, they're interrelated.  The collection is the effect; the addiction is the cause. 

Of course, it's possible to collect without being addicted.  But it is only where the collector continues his behavior despite adverse consequences that the act becomes an addiction.

It's difficult to determine if an addiction exists because it is difficult to determine whether or not the consequences of one's compulsion are in fact adverse enough to warrant concern.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008 at 09:53 PM »
^^ Many thanks sir Barrister for the crystal clear definition. I guess I am more on the collector's side, well it almost came to an addiction but since my self-control is strong, I am more meticulous now in what I buy. I try to avoid going to the sales lately after the incident wherein I bought 36pcs of DVD's at one time but only a handful was I able to watch nor opened. At that point in time, the compulsion succeeded but the act was more of haording because of its cheap price but not for collection purposes.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008 at 10:13 PM by frootloops »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008 at 01:14 AM »
It was during quite a number of sales at Astro Podium, MOA, Trinoma, Festival Mall and SM North last year that I saw individuals going to the counter with over 50++ DVDs at once.

I would've been impressed if not for the titles that were bought. I would look over and see a lot of B-movies, Paragon titles and universally acclaimed stinkers (don't ask me the selection, stone stone in the sky) and whatnot. To me, it just didn't make any sense.

That's when I realized I must've been in the presence of hoarders/addicts. I was sad for them, really  :( I imagine there's a room in their homes that are exact replicas of an Astrovision or Odyssey music store -- full of titles no one would or should watch, and mostly still sealed in plastic.

Repent, my brothers! Scientology is the way...! Ah, este... We shall help you!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008 at 01:14 AM by Dan »

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008 at 09:08 AM »
I became a bit out of control in the last Podium sale.
My basket was already overflowing with DVD's, the sales people were staring at me already.

Fortunately, some sense came into me. After filling up my basket, I decided to go through all the DVD's in my basket. I came home with 26 DVD's as opposed to the over 40 titles in my basket  :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008 at 09:15 AM by juancho »

Offline Dingdong Amandy

• Collector
  • isang HT and Audio lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008 at 09:11 AM »
I became a bit out of control in the last Podium sale.
My basket was already overflowing with DVD's, the sales people were staring at me already.

Fortunately, some sense cam into me. After filling up my basket, I decided to go through all the DVD's in my basket. I came home with 26 DVD's as opposed to the over 40 titles in my basket  :P

how much did it cost you?
just an estimate?
http://dcph.info/v2008/

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008 at 09:16 AM »
how much did it cost you?
just an estimate?

hmmm.... I do not remember na, maybe a little less than 3k  :-[

Offline wickedmonicker

• Collector
  • Mrs Tom Welling
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008 at 09:53 AM »
Hello! My name is wickedmonicker and I'm a recovering DVD addict... :(

In the beginning...

My sad sad tale began last 2006, when i first purchased an original DVD at Astro- Megamall.
I was filled with glee. This movie was Love, Actually.. which ironically is one of the few dvds that I own categorized as a Romance movie (as a girl, Im afraid i dont have that touchy mushy gene).

I was ecstatic! Who knew that DVDs then cost 200 - 300??!!!!

Who knew then that this dvd was the first of many to come?? (insert ominous music here)

The Cursed Supplementary Credit Card

My mom gave me a supplementary Citibank Credit Card because frankly I wouldn't get an approval on my own! (I work in government - sorta like playschool for me.. lets just say Im an under-achiever)

VIOLA! here starts the legendary impulse buying of dvds.

First few months, I'd get 5 titles or less and still pay my card in full.

Alas, December came and all the dvd titles dropped their prices...

Ka-ching! (insert cash register tune here)

Astro stores nationwide robbed me blind.

2007 came and to my fortune (or misfortune) i found Pdvd Marketplace..

here and there i came to buying from our trustworthy sellers like there's no tomorrow!

Until..I found that here i was, only 25 years old and my cash keeps running low.. and my credit card debt is now 56 thousand plus!!!! (SHHH! dont tell my parents! I keep telling em dvds cost like a hundred per disc hehehe)

In recovery

Like many of you, i now refuse to buy whatever dvd catches my eye and I wait (with trembling hands mind you) of a sale here and there.

Now, i "window shop" online and curb the urge to buy.

Sometimes, I relapse and splurge when i have the cash (i dont charge anymore!)..

but most of the time, i just look around the store.. hoping to find a bargain... with some drool maybe falling from my dry lips. uhu uhu uhu!  :'(
App-aholic!!!

Offline juanch

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008 at 10:17 AM »
56k!! whoa

how DVD's are in your collection na?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008 at 10:28 AM »
Madam wickedmonicker:

What an entertaining read!  :D

We're really curious.  How many DVDs do you have now?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008 at 10:29 AM by barrister »

Offline wickedmonicker

• Collector
  • Mrs Tom Welling
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008 at 11:05 AM »
hehehe i think i got just 200+... some are bought online and stuff using priority mail services hehehe i know i know.. call me a fool. I just bought em and bought em and i thought i was saving up but what do you know? Citibank's getting richer cuz of people like me.
App-aholic!!!

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008 at 02:31 PM »
hehehe i think i got just 200+...

That sounds just about right. Still...

I'm curious, what kind of DVDs do you get? Genres?