Author Topic: Are Tagalog VCDs & DVDs worth buying?  (Read 30187 times)

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Are tagalog dvd's worth buying?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2002 at 10:08 AM »
If there is a champoy or john&marsha best of dvd, i would surely get it if only for nostalgia. Theres no patriotism involved here. I do not expect a digitally mastered copy but a medium through which to relive the past.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Mar 09, 2002 at 10:09 AM »

But howcome Balahibong Pusa & Madame X were OK

Both were the same or even later released from BQ & UW2

You got me there!  ::)

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #32 on: Mar 09, 2002 at 11:24 AM »
Maybe when they were doing the conversion, the only prints that were available were the censored ones (nawala, nasira, ninakaw, o nagkalat na kung saan-saan yung mga complete prints). Or baka nawala na talaga totally yung original film stock so yung natira na lang is the video master for the cable TV version (kaya censored).

Offline zeitgeist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
noypi dvd quality
« Reply #33 on: Jul 07, 2001 at 12:10 AM »
does anyone have aforementioned local pinoy dvd's? i know in terms of special features they only have behind-the-scenes garbage, but i was wondering about the resolution. is it pretty good, or just a notch above 70-peso vcd's? i was thinking of buying ekis but i don't know if it's worth the price kse.

Offline MigraineBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
Re: noypi dvd quality
« Reply #34 on: Jul 07, 2001 at 12:21 AM »
As posted by DVDGurl in another thread:

I finally found a rental shop that carries a few Tagalog DVDs. After consulting with Phoebus who advised against seeing Ekis and Warat, I eventually settled on Ang Kabit ni Mrs Montero[/color]. I'll let you know how it goes, and will check what Region it is, as well as the quality/clarity of the transfer.

Okay, I just popped in the DVD. I won't have time till late tonight to watch the film itself, but here's the gist of what you were waiting to hear:

Region: All-region. On the disc there's the standard region icon, but instead of "1" or "3" is the word "ALL".

Video transfer: Ugh. Grainy, fuzzy, washed out colors. Think: Fox Lorber or Ocean Shores.

Extras: Trailer and Making-of. Again, unrestored and pang-TV quality.

Frankly, I'm disappointed (at first look, at least). I hope the movie itself will make it worth a recommendation to purchase the DVD.
:(

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 07, 2001 at 04:52 AM »
Blecchh. :P Rent one before buying so you'll see what I mean. But if you're a fan of the movie, then the video transfer quality shouldn't stop you. Just don't expect anything spectacular in terms of resolution, that's all.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 04, 2001 at 04:33 PM »
What you see in the theater is what you get in a DVD. Don't expect some miracle to happen just because it is mastered to DVD.
Pero naniniwala ako na, sa ngayon ay subok pa lang ang mga Pinoy DVD. Inaalam pa siguro nila kung gaano kalaki ang market bago nila pag desisyunan kung itutuloy nila ang paggawa ng DVD format.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline MigraineBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 08, 2001 at 03:26 AM »
I guess the substandard quality stems from the mentality that Pinoys aren't that picky in terms of movies...or any consumer products for that matter. We really don't have a choice.

Offline pioneer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 08, 2001 at 05:42 PM »
I'm sure kahit na hindi masyado maganda ang sound and picture quality basta gawin lang nilang DIRECTOR'S CUT siguradong patok ang sales. Tutal ang mga bold films for ADULTS e di kumpletuhin na. It will be worth the money. Agree? ;D
Kentobiminekekwek !!!

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 08, 2001 at 07:33 PM »
magaling ang panukala mo. tiyak na bibili ako kapag Director's cut.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 24, 2001 at 07:09 PM »
I just bought Kailangan Ko'y Ikaw & Dahil May Isang Ikaw as birthday gifts for a friend. Before giving it to her, I couldn't help but to preview the disc and all I can say that aside from the DVD Menu and the features (meron pa pala?) I could have sworn that I bought VCDs and not DVDs.

Pinoy DVDs are only good as gift ideas and are not manufactured with collectors in mind.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 25, 2001 at 10:28 AM »
Same observation for WARAT.

I too strongly suggest you rent it out or borrow it first before buying so you know what we mean.

Kahit na mga R1 eh ang dami kong gustong bilhin but after borrowing/renting it eh I realized na di ko na siya type bilhin - take note na R1 DVDs na ito, some Criterion, some UEs, some CE, some SE and other are the regular ones.

Kung type mo nga ang movie talaga eh why not but at least renting it out first will present you its true form. Para no expectations ka rin considering na DVD format siya.  The advantage though is you cannot expect them to come out with UEs, CEs, SEs, Infinifilm, and Criterion for some time at least, thus forcing you to change you current copy.

Basta rent or borrow muna bago bili para walang sisi.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 04:16 AM »
I think we cannot expect the quality of noypi DVDs to get better for old films.  The master copy is the general problem - kung pangit ang master, pangit din ang copy.  We cannot expect the local films to invest on digital improvements like what they do sa US films as they already have the equipment and technology plus nababawi nila sa sales, unlike dito, hindi mo na nga mababawi, may lalabas pang piratang version.

But with the growing demand for better quality, I guess the newer films, while the quality is good pa, will be converted na into digital format, plus, they will reconsider storage practices for the master copy - para mas ma-preserve.

Sana nga one day we will see a R1 type na nopyi DVD release.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 31, 2001 at 10:30 AM »
Ang alam ko they make video after showing the film. Usually gasgas na yung film master and kung mahina yung film na gamit puro dropouts na yon. If the quality is poor usually VCD version nalang para mas mura. I hope they can improve there quality.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 31, 2001 at 10:54 AM »
maybe we can start a foundation to the restoration of filipino classic films? has anybody looked into this?
or better yet maybe we can send some of our filipino classic films (pero kailangan with subtitle) to criterion...so pag nagustohan niya..eh wow! a pinoy criterion dvd edition :D
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 31, 2001 at 07:55 PM »
Mababaw lang naman ako. Okey na sa akin ang mga pinoy dvd na nasa collection ko. Lalo na kung iisipin ko na napakabata pa ng pinoy movies para pumasok sa DVD o sa digital form. Gaganda rin siguro yan. Pagdating ng panahon.

Kung iisipin kasi. Sa production pa lamang ng mga pinoy movies, mahina na ang quality nito[audio and video] Kapag napanood mo pa lang sa sine. Alam mo na ang product ay para lang sa pang kasalukuyan. And they don't care about the future of the movie itself. Kahit maganda ang movie at memorable. Sa usapan na lang lahat yun naaalala. Pero kung gusto mo pang mapanood uli,say ten or twenty years from now. Mapapanood mo pa kaya uli yun o makakakita ka pa ng decent copy? Tama nga, dapat habang bago pa ang mga movie o maganda pa ang master copy. Dapat ay i-archive na ito into digital. Para maging madali o maging available ito sa mga gustong makapanood.
BTW, may alam ba kayong pinoy movie na surround sound?

One thing for sure, there's a vast space for pinoy movie to improve. Sana isa ito sa mga concern nila.
Baka, hindi magtagal, makaisip ang mga members ng Pinoy DVD na mag produce ng sarili nilang movie. At magulat na lang ang mga movie company. Alam kong marami dito ay may kaalaman sa movie production. Kaya hindi malayong mangyari yun.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 01, 2001 at 01:43 AM »
Its hard for our movie companies to invest on good equipments. Its so expensive and the market is small. It can be the other way around, produce good movies and the market will grow but I doubt if they are willing to take the risk. Soon technology will be affordable and we will see Pinoy movies on DVD's but we really have to wait.By that time Hollywood is already using a different format. Like before Tagalog CD's are very rare, now almost everyone is using CD even the Pirates while in other countries DVD-audio na.

Offline JaysonLi

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:Are tagalog dvd's worth buying?
« Reply #47 on: Apr 17, 2002 at 08:16 PM »
Only a few Pinoy films are worth collecting on the DVD format. Muro Ami is one. Yamacrapa would be good on DVD.

But in most cases, NO. Just look at how pathetic Pinoy movies are when it comes to quality. Titles like:

Ikaw Lamang Hanggang Ngayon
Balahibong Pusa
Kailangan Ko'y Ikaw
Pangako Ikaw Lang
Scorpio Nights 2
Warat

Quality is what makes a film, not the big names of stars.

That is my concern.

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Apr 17, 2002 at 10:35 PM »
well, for now it is NOT worth BUYING nor collecting but it is worth watching! :D

Offline JaysonLi

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Apr 17, 2002 at 11:42 PM »
Still the same case when it comes to WATCHING. There are only a few worth watching while the rest are worth ignoring.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Apr 17, 2002 at 11:44 PM »

well, for now it is NOT worth BUYING nor collecting but it is worth watching! :D

Is it ? I never noticed.

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Apr 18, 2002 at 07:08 AM »

Still the same case when it comes to WATCHING. There are only a few worth watching while the rest are worth ignoring.

well like i said for me it is worth watching dahil mahilig ako ng tagalog! mababaw lang ako, makapanood lang ako ng tagalog parang nasa pilipinas na ako! yun lang po! ;)

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Apr 18, 2002 at 07:11 AM »

Is it ? I never noticed.

Well for me I appreciate everything I watched lalo na kung tagalog! so kanya kanyang forte lang yan... ;)

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Apr 19, 2002 at 05:29 PM »
YES!

Because we are Filipinos and we should be proud we are the best! We are not losers like those damned Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, and other nationalities who would dare degrade us!

Yes buying Tagalog DVDs mean support not only for our local industry but also for our country!

Buy Pinoy DVDs ONLY!

Offline Garuda

• Collector
  • You give love a bad name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Apr 19, 2002 at 05:33 PM »
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2002 at 05:35 PM by Garuda »

Offline DigITaL

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 11, 2002 at 06:59 AM »

YES!

Because we are Filipinos and we should be proud we are the best! We are not losers like those damned Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, and other nationalities who would dare degrade us!

Yes buying Tagalog DVDs mean support not only for our local industry but also for our country!

Buy Pinoy DVDs ONLY!

I'm proud to be a Filipino! But that alone won't convince me to spend my hard earn $$ to a so called "DVD", when in reality it's not!

That's why it's a shame that Pinoy DVD's can't compete with the rest of the world!

Specially when we know darn well that we are capable of such feat.

I guess it all boils down to money!

Offline winnie

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 01:17 PM »
for me right now no, but maybe in the near future those whose doing it will gonna improve the content and quality of the movie in the dvd. its just base sa first movie in dvd that i watch which is sharons pagdating ng panahon.the story of the movie is okay and funny but its not just like the english movie that i watch that got a
lot of features in the movie and those set up languages.
but maybe someday will gonna improve but at least better than the vcd  ;)

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #57 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 06:28 PM »

YES!

Buy Pinoy DVDs ONLY!

Uhm... hate to break this to you, dude, but Pinoy movies are one of the worst in Asia. We're lucky to have a good movie out at least once every three years. Not even a truckload of DVDs and the best technology can change art and talent.
I thought Toro was good, despite the bad publicity. It had a great story and believable characters. Of course, there was the sex every 10 minutes....

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 07:23 PM »
hey Dan  ;D,

Check out the Film and TV forum. There are Pinoy movie threads over there. Thought you might want to join in the fun.

utoy

Offline Grandpoobah

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Mwahaha- talo kayo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 10, 2002 at 01:02 AM »
Just saw the Ekis DVD (hiniram ko lang), then Warat, Balahibong Pusa, Muro-Ami... (take note na hinihiram ko lang ito)

Walang Kuwenta!!!! Packaging sucks, the DVD contents suck, no deleted scenes, no redeeming features... mas mabuti pa na wag na silang gumawa ng DVDs kung below average ang quality - lugi lang sila sa production. These guys (Viva, etc) should hire people who really love DVD's and know how to make a good DVD (siguro PinoyDVD members) - kasi yung mga DVD's nila is just like their VCDs pero slapped in one disc with very minimal features! Ano ba naman yan!

The reason why people collect DVD is better quality and collectibility - and sad to say, kahit orig yung ginagawa nilang DVDs - mukha pa rin pirated due to the poor quality.

Local DVD makers should do this:
1. Hire a good art director / graphic artist (the packaging is the first thing people see)
2. Add and shoot more contents exclusive to DVD - would'nt hurt to sneak in storyboards (kung uso yun sa paggawa ng local movie - sa advertising storyboards is a must), bloopers, deleted scenes (maureen larizabal's nudity sa unfaithful wife 2), commentaries, director's cut. I was hoping Muro Ami to have a good showing... pero blech - sayang yung movie, saming talaga yung DVD.
3. Great marketing. Do not blame the pirates. Do not blame the economy.   Pinoys will buy orig DVDs if they see that it's worth their money. P450 is a great price, see if you can come up with gimmicks - tie up with magazines like FHM and give them a "sampler" DVD  para patakamin ang mga pinoys who own a DVD that pinoy DVD's have an "oomf" factor. It all boils down to marketing - the problem with most companies is that they hire marketing people who have no love for the stuff they are promoting ----"must" dapat sa DVD marketers to own a DVD and a full understanding of the DVD market - not just any cum laude - but a video and DVD buff.

Hah, my 2 cents worth. I'm a graphic designer kasi and sometimes, I want to give my portfolio to these companies and tell them I'll do their inserts and packaging for free - just to make their DVDs look appealing.