Author Topic: Are Tagalog VCDs & DVDs worth buying?  (Read 30183 times)

Offline ann07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Are tagalog dvd's worth buying?
« Reply #60 on: Aug 10, 2002 at 02:40 AM »
Rei: you are HIRED! ;D ;)

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Aug 10, 2002 at 06:33 AM »
AND WHY WOULD THEY WANT to do that?Since when did local film productions actually spent time and money to make their products better?YOU SEE IT ON THE BIG SCREEN and its crap...then you expect the dvds to have the same care and attention that their european and asian counterparts are known to do. COME ON, wake up and smell the dead cat.The philosophy of a local producer is this. Make a film the cheapest way possible and then criss your fingers and hope that the filipino idiot wouldnt notice.In that sentence did you divine, " oh yeah and the dvds should have a neat menu with a dazzling 3d computer animated icon floating around somewhere. 5.1 surround tracks and a running commentary by the director who doesnt even know the difference between a wideshot and a close-up is. IF YOU PLANT AN APPLE SEED...DONT EXPECT AN ORANGE TREE TO COME OUT.  

Offline Grandpoobah

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Mwahaha- talo kayo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Aug 11, 2002 at 01:09 AM »
AND WHY WOULD THEY WANT to do that?Since when did local film productions actually spent time and money to make their products better?YOU SEE IT ON THE BIG SCREEN and its crap...then you expect the dvds to have the same care and attention that their european and asian counterparts are known to do. COME ON, wake up and smell the dead cat.The philosophy of a local producer is this. Make a film the cheapest way possible and then criss your fingers and hope that the filipino idiot wouldnt notice.In that sentence did you divine, " oh yeah and the dvds should have a neat menu with a dazzling 3d computer animated icon floating around somewhere. 5.1 surround tracks and a running commentary by the director who doesnt even know the difference between a wideshot and a close-up is. IF YOU PLANT AN APPLE SEED...DONT EXPECT AN ORANGE TREE TO COME OUT.  

A pipe dream, yeah. But the reason kaya di umaasenso ang majority of the Filipinos is their contentment on what they have... ika nga nila "puwede na iyan" - i do care about quality - working in advertising - i have discovered ways to make something beautiful in a minimum budget - creativity lang ang kailangan. You don't really need a big budget (well, the bigger, the better) to fill your DVD with neat stuff - like they say: find a guy dedicated to this craft and he will take this to the next level... I still dream of the day when a good Pinoy movie will come out and when released in DVD - majority would want the R3 version as opposed to the R1... the Japs and Chinese can do it... mas kaya ng Pinoy yan.

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Aug 11, 2002 at 08:46 AM »
Right on rei!Having no budget is no excuse for making a shiittttyy product!When im shooting independent films, we are low on production money but it doesnt mean that the film we are shooting is low in quality. We use the strenghts and advantages that we could gleam from such a predicament. AS THE CHINESE SAY, CRISIS IS ANOTHER WORD FOR OPPORTUNITY!  

Offline lexmil

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 02:58 PM »
I seldom watch (or is it hardly? barely?) tagalog films on the big screen.  So by extension, why buy tagalog DVDs?

I share in the sentiments of most of you in this forum.  No amount of gimmickry or care can produce an excellent pinoy DVD if the theatrical release is lousy to begin with.

But I have never lost hope that pinoys can be at par, maybe not with hollywood, but with Asian movie makers like the Japs, the CHinese and the Indians.  Top of my mind, I can think of Oro Plata Mata, Rizal, American Adobo, Scorpio Nights (the first one), Moral,  Insiang, to mention some.  Now if only these films can be digitally remastered and processed/cleaned like what they did with those old hollowood films like Casablanca, On the Waterfront, Ben-Hur, etc., and then priced at P450, with additional commentary's and making of featurette, why not?  But maybe I'm asking too much.

Offline D

• Apprentice
  • May the Force Be With You!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Sep 29, 2002 at 12:57 PM »
I am not an all-together Tagalog movie fan.  But there are some good ones that I would buy. Titles like Madrasta (Sharon Cuneta and Christopher de Leon) and Sana Maulit Muli (Lea Salonga and Aga Muhlach).

There are very few good quality Tagalog movies that I like watching at the convenience of my home.  ;) I already bought Scorpio Nights 2 for the simple reason of popularity and stars Joyce Jimenez.  ;D

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Dec 23, 2002 at 01:24 PM »
Oo naman!

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #67 on: Dec 23, 2002 at 03:14 PM »
I've watched in TV that they had this upcoming movie Agimat in 5.1 channels.  They sent the master copy to Canada to have the audio mastered in 5.1.   ;D

Offline Kings

• DVD Guru
  • ???
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 01:41 PM »
I've watched in TV that they had this upcoming movie Agimat in 5.1 channels.  They sent the master copy to Canada to have the audio mastered in 5.1.   ;D

According to their ad :
5.1 Surround for the first time in a Filipino movie ever produced

It says something when we create a movie with 5.1 surround sound and can't even get the advertising grammar right. :(
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2002 at 01:42 PM by Kings »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
pinoy DVDs..dapat P50.00 lang
« Reply #69 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 03:26 PM »
Sa quality ng pinoy movies, lalo na sa technical aspects di ako bibili ng DVD version ng kahit ano pa mang pinoy movie ngaun. Karamihan kasi sa mga movies natin defy common sense and logic. Sa action, di ka rin mag-eenjoy kasi karamihan Hi-Fi lang ang sound format nila. sayang lang ang disc. Besides, and mahal pa...considering the presetn quality ng movies natin ngaun, siguro kung ibenta nila ng P50.00 ang isa, baka bibili ako....
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Kings

• DVD Guru
  • ???
  • Liked:
Re:pinoy DVDs..dapat P50.00 lang
« Reply #70 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 05:14 PM »
Pre, dapat dito ka na lang sa thread na

Are pinoy DVDs worth buying?

mag-post kasi yun din ang pinag-uusapan doon. :)

Offline ßartmaniac

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 08:40 PM »
Thanks for the help, Kings.  Really appreciate it. :)

Merged the above topic  ("pinoy DVDs..dapat P50.00 lang") to this thread ("Are pinoy DVDs worth buying?").  FYI :)

Offline Kings

• DVD Guru
  • ???
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Dec 27, 2002 at 11:32 AM »
Thanks for the help, Kings.  Really appreciate it. :)

Merged the above topic  ("pinoy DVDs..dapat P50.00 lang") to this thread ("Are pinoy DVDs worth buying?").  FYI :)

No prob, mod ßa®t!  :)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #73 on: Dec 27, 2002 at 03:52 PM »
nirv!

kahit na 5.1 siguro yang AGIMAT pre kung ang quality naman ng video nya ay pwede lang e-appreciate ng not older than 10 yrs old,,wala ding kwenta...actually gaya-gaya lang si Bong revilla ung style sa matrix,,hehehe! wala tau talagang originality...

jerix
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Dec 29, 2002 at 12:41 AM »
I'd be buying more tagalog dvd's if there's more to choose from. I don't mind if they are not surround sound or DTS or  no special features or anything.  Sharon Cuneta's DVD catalog is improving but how about Nora Aunor? Only one DVD available, The Flor Contemplacion Story. Vilma Santos? None.  Maricel Soriano? one - Abandonada.  These gals are the Philippines most popular stars and the DVD production people are not capitalizing on that fact.  Its the fans that will most likely will buy DVDs.  Viva Films are successful with their Regine Velasquez DVDs.  So come on Regal Films, enough of the bold movies, release your old Nora, Vilma and Maricel movies on DVDs.

Offline Kings

• DVD Guru
  • ???
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Dec 29, 2002 at 11:27 AM »
nirv!

kahit na 5.1 siguro yang AGIMAT pre kung ang quality naman ng video nya ay pwede lang e-appreciate ng not older than 10 yrs old,,wala ding kwenta...actually gaya-gaya lang si Bong revilla ung style sa matrix,,hehehe! wala tau talagang originality...

jerix

pareng jerix,

mawalang-galang na pero iba na ito sa sinasabi mo doon sa nauna mong post. sabi mo doon sa una, technical ang problema ng pinoy dvds kaya hindi ka bibili.

dito sa pangalawang post sabi mo, istorya naman ang problema. sa tingin ko lang po, marami namang magadang pelikulang pilipino, lalo na yung mga ginawa ni Lino Brocka, ni Mike de Leon at Laurice Guillen.

yung mga pelikulang kagaya ng
1. Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon,
2. Kisapmata,
3. Tubog sa Ginto,
4. Agila,
5. Rizal,
6. Maynila Sa Kuko ng Liwanag,
7. Bagong Buwan,
8. Ang Alamat ni Julian Makabayan,
9. Oro, Plata, Mata
etc., etc.
ay mga pelikulang, sa aking palagay ay pwedeng-pwedeng kolektahin (kung nasa DVD format na sila).

Alam naman natin ang dapat panoorin at ano ang hindi. Kahit naman mga pelikulang Amerikano ay meron ding maganda at meron ding walang kwenta.

Salamat. :)
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2002 at 08:14 PM by Kings »

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Dec 29, 2002 at 11:28 AM »
nirv!

jerix

I agree.

Nagbayad pa naman ako ng P182.00 (2 kami ng misis ko) para lang mapanood sa sine ang Agimat kasi top grosser nga. Yun pala kung ano ang pinapakita na highlights sa TV yun na pala ang lahat.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #77 on: Dec 31, 2002 at 05:50 PM »
torque-  I didn't have the oppurtunity to watch Agimat in the theaters and watched Mano Po at Rockwell. (Syempre pinagbigyan ang misis) Hehe!  Sayang lang ang mga surround JBL speakers ng Rockwell kasi mukhang mono ang sound.  So.. my question is how was the sound in 5.1 channels of Agimat?  I am giving this movie the benefit of the doubt and might even give in to buying this as my first DVD if ever.

jerix- Mukhang ang budget ng Agimat eh nabuhos sa digital mastering ng sound and nasacrifice ang video quality or...same video quality as the other Filipino movies. :-\

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jan 01, 2003 at 11:28 AM »
If Agimat would be released in DVD format...

Well with the boasted Dolby Digital it has ... and the superb CG effects... I cant wait to have!!

A possible Strom Riders of Philippines kaya ang AGIMAT?
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline torque

• DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 06:03 PM »
torque-  I didn't have the oppurtunity to watch Agimat in the theaters and watched Mano Po at Rockwell. (Syempre pinagbigyan ang misis) Hehe!  Sayang lang ang mga surround JBL speakers ng Rockwell kasi mukhang mono ang sound.  So.. my question is how was the sound in 5.1 channels of Agimat?  I am giving this movie the benefit of the doubt and might even give in to buying this as my first DVD if ever.

If Agimat would be released in DVD format...
Well with the boasted Dolby Digital it has ... and the superb CG effects... I cant wait to have!!

nirv,xage,
Warning: Don't buy Agimat if ever it comes out on DVD.
Don't be fooled by its boasted Dolby Digital sound. Yes, the sound is Dolby Digital but the movie is a crap.

From the 4 movies that I watched last MMFFP only Dekada '70 and Spirit Warriors 2 were worth watching.

Offline CoolKidd

• Apprentice
  • ???
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Mar 12, 2003 at 02:39 AM »
Most of them are....  but, then again, wait until all the reviews are out!

Offline torque

• DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 03:15 PM »
tanong lang po...

bakit halos lahat yata ng pinoy movies in DVD fullscreen ang video format? meron na bang naka anamorphic widescreen?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #82 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 05:57 PM »
tanong lang po...

bakit halos lahat yata ng pinoy movies in DVD fullscreen ang video format? meron na bang naka anamorphic widescreen?

I think because their main clientele for these titles are the same people who'd complain na "maliit yung picture, may itim sa itaas at ilalim" if they popped a widescreen DVD into their players.  ::)

I'm not sure about the US-released Tagalog titles, though. Are they full screen or widescreen? The R1 American Adobo will be out soon... let's see!
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Apr 21, 2003 at 09:09 PM »
I'm not sure about the US-released Tagalog titles, though. Are they full screen or widescreen?

Full screen...

Offline Qman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • crawling in my skin ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Apr 23, 2003 at 03:38 AM »
for me worth buying sya kung classic movies

such as FPJ panday series, lo waist gang series, mr. wong series.  ERAP series, palos series.

kso wala pa noon eh ;D ;D

Offline Ek-ek

• Collector
  • Philatelist,Numismatist,Toy collector etc...
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Apr 23, 2003 at 09:49 AM »
 ;)May magagandang Tagalog movies na worth collecting!

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Apr 23, 2003 at 10:50 PM »
for me worth buying sya kung classic movies

such as FPJ panday series, lo waist gang series, mr. wong series.  ERAP series, palos series.

kso wala pa noon eh ;D ;D

We can only hope... Qman!

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
FILIPINO MOVIES IN VCD & DVD ARE NOT WORTH IT TO BUY?
« Reply #87 on: Feb 25, 2004 at 02:10 PM »
Ive already watch filipino films on VCD. Im very dissappointed, Original VCD has a quality of Pirated. Tulad ng Dekada 70 and Mano Po.Ang pixels grabe. Ang sagwa, halos di muna makilala yung nasa video. Kung linaw din lang ang paguusapan mag DVD na lang diba? pero di pa din worth it. Most of the Filipino films in DVD ay walang interactive menu. Meron naman may dagdag pero you have to finish the movie pa bago mo makita yung mga movie trailers and behind the scenes. Some of the VCD and DVD of filipino films ay walang nakalagay na production staff sa likod. swerte mo na lang kung may nakasulat sa harap. tulad ng Mike de Leon's Bayaning 3rd World, and Keka may nakasulat na production staff sa likod. American Adobo and Tanging yaman may nakalagay din sa likod ng video.
Viva video releases karamihan di nilalagay yung production staff kahit man lang director wala. Regal Video releases parang pirated yung kopya. And one more thing DVD ng Dekada 70. 2 disc sya akala ko naman special yung 1 CD yun pala karugtong lng ng disc 1 parang VCD diba? My friend told me from Star Cinema ang haba daw kasi ng Dekada 70. Kung mahaba yung pelikulang yun eh di sana 2 VHS at 3 VCD ang release nya, Common sense di ba? Sana mag improve naman sa mga quality VCD at lalo na ang DVD ng pinoy movies. :)

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:FILIPINO MOVIES IN VCD & DVD ARE NOT WORTH IT TO BUY?
« Reply #88 on: Feb 25, 2004 at 03:18 PM »
it won't get better unless they stop using the common settings.

there's always the vacation spot, the big Villa with an Old Benz car as their service.. the night spots around metro manila..

hahaha.. how much story can you squeeze out of a few locales, really..

I mean, can't they just borrow a Sound Stage or Warehouse and create a new world in it?

Offline T-850

• DVD Addict
  • you are TERMINATED!!!
  • Liked:
Re:FILIPINO MOVIES IN VCD & DVD ARE NOT WORTH IT TO BUY?
« Reply #89 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 08:32 AM »
most of their special features (believe it or not) is the..

TRAILERS!!  :P