Author Topic: Warner Philippines Blu-ray Releases  (Read 24671 times)

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2621
Re: Warner Philippines to launch Blu-ray in late 2008
« Reply #60 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 10:50 AM »
FrenzyBanana, we're talking Warner Bros. Philippines. ALL their R3 DVD releases are IMPORTED, and 99% have identical features to their R1 counterparts.

since bluray is region free, will we be able to differentiate which bluray is region 1 and 3?
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #61 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 10:58 AM »
since bluray is region free, will we be able to differentiate which bluray is region 1 and 3?

Blu-ray is region coded not region free.  Ours is the same w/ the US...Region A.  So no need to differentiate US made BDs and "local" BDs.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #62 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 12:39 PM »
No update yet from Warner, but I'll bug them for news.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #63 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 12:47 PM »

sir anya, there are only three regions for bds, its region a, b and c. north america, japan and south east asia belongs to region a. so if ever warner produced region a disc, bd players from the usa can play it. only bluray games are region free.  :)

Offline anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 01:24 PM »
sir anya, there are only three regions for bds, its region a, b and c. north america, japan and south east asia belongs to region a. so if ever warner produced region a disc, bd players from the usa can play it. only bluray games are region free.  :)

oops, my mistake hehehe  :-[
let me rephrase my question, how can we differentiate bds sold here and the bds sold in the states?

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #65 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 01:33 PM »

There are actually many Blu-ray Titles that are Region Free... Nakalimutan ko lang ang website where you can see kung anong titles ang region free..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 03:08 PM »
oops, my mistake hehehe  :-[
let me rephrase my question, how can we differentiate bds sold here and the bds sold in the states?

hmmm. good questions, but since wala pang locally produced bds its hard to say. but it is a legitimate question, since we are now in the same region as the usa for bds, what will be the difference of dark knight bd from warner usa than lets say tdk from warner philippines. but i think just to keep the prices of local bds more competitive warner philippines might scrimp on the features. but this are the things we are looking forward to when warner does eventually release bds here, or it can be the same bds but warner philippines as official local distributor (in which case i think the bds will be more expensive than getting it through amazon.)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 03:10 PM »
There are actually many Blu-ray Titles that are Region Free... Nakalimutan ko lang ang website where you can see kung anong titles ang region free..

yes, doc oreo, i bet there are region free movie bds as well, but i think movies from major movie producers that makes the blockbusters will definitely be region coded.  :)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 05:56 AM »
Heard back from Warner: only the new Batman films will be released on Blu-ray this year. Target is December 8 for Batman Begins. No word on their 2009 release schedule.

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #69 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 01:54 PM »
Heard back from Warner: only the new Batman films will be released on Blu-ray this year. Target is December 8 for Batman Begins. No word on their 2009 release schedule.

Sources within Warner Home Video Philippines confirmed that plans were afoot to start selling Blu-ray discs before the end of the year. They expect to bring in nearly 300 titles eventually with prices for catalog releases hovering around the Php800 level.

Sir Firewired yung pricing ba still starts at Php 800? Thanks!
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2008 at 01:56 PM by vtec3 »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #70 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 09:34 PM »

Dark Knight kaya?

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 10:23 PM »
Yeah met with Warner earlier today and they corrected their update: it's The Dark Knight that's getting released on BD this December 8. The rest is up in the air because they need to get a better feel of the market given the minimum quantities that they need to commit to when importing HD titles. A major concern is the continuing unavailability of players in mainstream retail channels due to the reluctance of local hardware manufacturers/distributors to push Blu-ray aggressively.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #72 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 11:42 PM »
it's The Dark Knight that's getting released on BD this December 8.

Yahooo!!!! Thanks firewired.

I don't have a BD player yet but I'm getting this. At least when I do eventually get one, I'll have a disc to pop in the tray  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2008 at 11:42 PM by Dan »

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #73 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 12:19 AM »
yes, doc oreo, i bet there are region free movie bds as well, but i think movies from major movie producers that makes the blockbusters will definitely be region coded.  :)

Here are the movies that are REGION FREE!! 544 movies released from the US.  Of these, Warner Brothers has the highest number of released BDs that are region free followed closely by Sony Pictures..  ;D ;D ;D

REGION FREE MOVIES

REGION FREE MOVIES - WARNER BROS

REGION FREE MOVIES - SONY PICTURES
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2008 at 12:44 AM by oReOsHaKe »
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline DViant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #74 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 02:22 AM »
I don't blame Warner seeming there is no local content being sold so why would anyone buy an overly expensive CD player? :P It's the chicken and the egg argument.

Tell them think of how many kids have a Playstation 3. Instant Blu Ray players there and then. Maybe we could do a poll on how many here has a Blu Ray and from that poll Warner could decipher whether it is worth it or not. As a sign of support I will buy one Dark Knight BD when it comes out.
Yeah met with Warner earlier today and they corrected their update: it's The Dark Knight that's getting released on BD this December 8. The rest is up in the air because they need to get a better feel of the market given the minimum quantities that they need to commit to when importing HD titles. A major concern is the continuing unavailability of players in mainstream retail channels due to the reluctance of local hardware manufacturers/distributors to push Blu-ray aggressively.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2008 at 02:24 AM by DViant »

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #75 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 07:58 AM »
Yeah I guess so.  The most logical way to get into the BD bandwagon is via PS3.  And still not everyone has a PS3 let alone a stand alone Blu-ray player.  For consumers it's a toss up between the BD are too expensive or the players are too expensive.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 08:45 AM »
I think they are tracking PS3 installations because a couple of months back, they asked for my opinion on PS3 market share in the local console market. Didn't have an answer for them though since I'm not really a gamer. Also, they've been informally monitoring BD disc sales from the more popular gray market retailers to guesstimate demand, so I'm fairly sure that some of our favorite sukis will selling Dark Knight sourced directly from Warner.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #77 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 10:10 AM »
Imo, at 800 pesos these titles will sell.  :)..Volume nga will probably be a problem. Based on hidef adopter thread here in pinoydvd there are less than 200 of us ata? We are already the fanatics I doubt there are more of us (hidef adopters) outside pinoydvd but I may be wrong. If there are it may be quite small.

Now Im just wondering if the 800 pesos will be the catalog titles of 19.95 dollars or lower in amazon. Dark Knight cost around 24.95 ata which is around 1,200 pesos. If Dark Knight is 800 pesos I will be first in line to buy one ;D..

By the way maybe we can find out if the sony bds that astro are selling are moving? That can be an indication of the market. But I think they are overpriced. Just my opinion

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #78 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 11:01 AM »
Now Im just wondering if the 800 pesos will be the catalog titles of 19.95 dollars or lower in amazon. Dark Knight cost around 24.95 ata which is around 1,200 pesos. If Dark Knight is 800 pesos I will be first in line to buy one ;D..

At P800 that will be a very great price. Even at the range of P1,000+ it's still more attractive to buy locally, not only cheaper but minus the shipping cost pa. ;)

Offline anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 11:06 AM »
At P800 that will be a very great price. Even at the range of P1,000+ it's still more attractive to buy locally, not only cheaper but minus the shipping cost pa. ;)

plus no more waiting for 2-3 weeks  ;D

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 01:04 PM »
The Php800 price point is for catalog titles. No decision on how much The Dark Knight will retail for at the moment.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 02:11 PM »
Here are the movies that are REGION FREE!! 544 movies released from the US.  Of these, Warner Brothers has the highest number of released BDs that are region free followed closely by Sony Pictures..  ;D ;D ;D

REGION FREE MOVIES

REGION FREE MOVIES - WARNER BROS

REGION FREE MOVIES - SONY PICTURES

ayos pala kung ganun doc oreo. thanks for the info.  ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 02:14 PM »
The Php800 price point is for catalog titles. No decision on how much The Dark Knight will retail for at the moment.

if its a u.s. source bd of tdk, i would not be surprise if they sell it at 1,500+ per disc.  ;D

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #83 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 11:09 PM »
If I were Warner, I would have bring some sample Bluray titles in limited quantities, gauge demand , then go full blast on titles like The Dark Knight.  Guess it's too late for that.  They could still get info if Magnavision will share their Bluray sales figures, but that could be highly unlikely.   

But the fastest way to do it, given the short time frame, what they used to do.  Launch a preorder drive to end in two-weeks, with extra cash-off or premium items.  That would also pre-empt people who would otherwise order from Amazon...

Wonder if they will bring in TDK giftset...  though given that's its limited and we share the same region as US, that could be a problem...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Bolshoie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 12:26 AM »
By the way maybe we can find out if the sony bds that astro are selling are moving? That can be an indication of the market. But I think they are overpriced. Just my opinion

Doubt it since napaka konti lang ng selection nila and they dont have any displays/sections for their blu-ray,you'll need to ask their personnels kung meron silang tinda then lalabas nila list or the copies itself.But one good thing about them is they are cheaper than other stores here...prices are P1500 to P1700 only unlike the store where I buy mine which is P2000 and up but why buy at the store which has expensive prices? . . . because they're stocks are always updated.

If Warner would be selling BD's here for P800 only thats great, if they price it at P1200 were still lucky  :D

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 10:13 PM »
Ok another update on Warner's Blu-ray plans here in the Philippines: they've been shelved for now. I'm still trying to find out more but it looks like this is related to the Philips decision to delay the launch of their players locally. Also, sourcing realignments abroad and the fluctuating exchange rate seem to have translated to much higher prices than originally expected. :(

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
Ouch.  That might mean Bluray might be done for good here locally...   The Dark Knight might have been the best reason to upgrade to Bluray for sometime...  Philips' decision should not have been a reason, unless Warner people are badly informed...  PS3 is the player of choice, and Philips' player even if released would have negligible market share. 

As to sourcing and pricing, the fact that we are the same region as USA, means they can't do third-world pricing unless they repackage everything (ie with 'For Sale only in the Philippines) to deter re-export. 

But in the same way, music distributor's reluctance to sell digital music in the mid-90s lead to boom in mp3 files, the reluctance to support bluray locally could lead to increased uptake of NMTs and probably means that Bluray might not gain a foothold (locally) for some time to come...  just as DVDs still trails VCDs even if DVD is reaching maturity... bluray would trail DVDs when the next format (high-def legal download?) comes around...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline john martin

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Nandyan naman ang ebay!!! :P  But I think to preserve the good quality of Bluray gear and software, I don't think it should be manufactured here unless the machines and processes are at par where it is currently manufactured.  A good exeample is the audio CDs philippine edition, it sounds like S$#T!!!

Ok lang if Philips does not launch with their BDPs, they're products are lemons....I own a Philips TV and DVD ang labo ng reso, and bright ng tunog ng SACD/DVD player nila.  Gheeezzzz ang LCD qualities, bagsak talagala compared to Sony, Samsung at maslalo na sa Sharp Aquous. Kaya they always have this annual Philips sale eh!

By the way, I saw the Sharp BDP, very nice but still expensive.  Kudos to Samsung! Nice LCDs Series 4-7 and BDPs, more affordable pa!

If Philips attitude is to shy away from us since we are an "EMERGING MARKET", then I suggest that just keep mfg bulbs.  Ang tawag dito sigurista! Poor decision philips executives!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2008 at 09:24 AM by john martin »

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
I was supposed to handle Philips (Consumer Electronics) Marketing around 4 years ago. I declined the job and "buti nalang I did". But from what I understood, the Philippine market is so small, unprofitable and so late in technology, that they opt to bring the "nicer" products to richer economies. And the reason for the yearly sale is that, if they don't lower existing inventories, they cannot order/import the newer models.

Offline jimmylr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
it is a domino effect. Coz you can only see the difference betwen Blu ray and DVD if the tv you are using huge size LCD or Plasma. But for SDTV you will not notice the difference. And since the prices of good brand and big sizes of LCD/Plasma are still not afforable then. It is useless to upgrade to Blu ray player. Which means smaller market and not an ideal place to go full blast.

Hopefully this coming 2009 the prices of those expensive LCD/Plasma will continue to go down and so with the bluray player too.