Author Topic: Is it worth collecting old movies that u had already watched in Bluray?  (Read 5871 times)

Offline I-Qoute

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
It seems everybody is entering the new age of hi def viewing. Old movies are being remastered and transfered to bluray copies. Bluray movies sells around an average of 1k to 1.5k nowadays through gray market. I think most of us already have dvd copies of these movies and had already watched them for number of times at home. Is it worth spending that much buying and collecting these movies that we already watched through the years just because it's in hi def?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008 at 05:03 PM by I-Qoute »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
For me yes. Its worth it. Of course when the price is right (for me anything below 20 dollars ;D), especially your favorites. Dont tell me you dont want Dirty Harry series in hidef ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
It seems everybody is entering the new age of hi def viewing. Old movies are being remastered and transfered to bluray copies. Bluray movies sells around an average of 1k to 1.5k nowadays through gray market. I think most of us already have dvd copies of these movies and had already watched them for number of times at home. Is it worth spending that much buying and collecting these movies that we already watched through the years just because it's in hi def?

personally, if the movies i have on dvds are in dvd 9s, i wont buy an hd (bluray or hddvd) copy anymore, i will just use a dvd upscaler to view it. but for those very old dvds (lower bitrate) and i really like the movie. i may get an hd copy provided as sir moks said "the price is right".  ;)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Dont tell me you dont want Dirty Harry series in hidef ;D

Oh yes, we want that pls! :D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Many say they'd be content upscaling DVDs for most titles and just get the HD title they like best.  But sooner or later, when those BDs come down to below 1T, you'd want every DVD title in your collection replaced with HD.  ;D   Slowly perhaps, but surely.

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30

For me yes. In fact most of my BD titles (small collection pa  ;D)  I have also DVD copies. Last night I watched The Rock and was surprised with a lot of things that was not that noticeable in my Criterion Copy. One thing not so good of going to BD is you would need to upgrade also your gears to maximize its true potential  ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008 at 12:54 PM by vtec3 »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
In my case, only a handful.

Kaso yung gusto kong bilhin in high def format sana, hindi naman available pa.   >:(

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Many say they'd be content upscaling DVDs for most titles and just get the HD title they like best.  But sooner or later, when those BDs come down to below 1T, you'd want every DVD title in your collection replaced with HD.  ;D   Slowly perhaps, but surely.

True, due to the high price, we have to be very selective. Good thing there's HD download which can relief the pain for the time being.  ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
True, due to the high price, we have to be very selective. Good thing there's HD download which can relief the pain for the time being.  ;D

Yeah I just relieved some pain as I downloaded and considerately seeded (over 15x ratio) a 7GB BD-r*p National Treasure 2.  Should I still buy it???  ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Yeah I just relieved some pain as I downloaded and considerately seeded (over 15x ratio) a 7GB BD-r*p National Treasure 2.  Should I still buy it???  ;D

Wow...that's nice! Yes I saw the list it's available na.  ;) I'm a newbie into this HD download but after experiencing it last week for the first time...with good PQ this could save us lots of $. Now I understand what's the fuzz all about. ;D

Offline I-Qoute

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
wat site do u go to download BD ripd movies? How are u able to watch them w/o being choppy? Wat programs do you use? Do do play those hi def files using the ps3? Kindly share nman how your able to view downloadable hi def files. Tnx!

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:

That's what I read will be the next trend in HT.  No more physical discs.  720p movie titles at around 10GB can be downloaded.  Data sheets and artworks related to the movie would be downloadable too as jpg files.  Some from torrent sites but more will eventually come with DRM where you pay by PayPal or Card for around $2-$5 per to enable downloading.

The only stumbling block here is the interent bandwidth you get from those silly overpriced broadband DSL providers.  ;D

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Yes, I will buy my favorite movies in Blu ray. Even if I already have watch it or have a DVD copy. Its for my personal collection, some of it aren't even open yet bec. I already seen the movie.  :)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
wat site do u go to download BD ripd movies? How are u able to watch them w/o being choppy? Wat programs do you use? Do do play those hi def files using the ps3? Kindly share nman how your able to view downloadable hi def files. Tnx!

Most MKV players with built-in decoders are very CPU intensive and do not rely much on GPU yet, unlike when playing HD DVD through the add-on drive which takes full advantage of the GPU's power.  Until now, the so called H.264 decoding feature of GPUs is mostly relevant for playback of original BD or HD DVD on the PC. Case in point, my wife's Dell Dimension 9100 still uses the stock (and very very lowly) ATI Radeon X300 graphics card - and it plays MKVs quite well.   So I thought it's probably due to the raw power of the Pentium D CPU installed in her 9100 than anything coming from the X300 GPU.  Kaya kung desktop I think kaya ang 720p kahit P4 class CPU with lots of RAM, but for laptops, my old workhorse Dell Inspiron 5100 (P4, 2.66Ghz) barely manages MKV playback.  Pero yung sa daughter ko na Dell Latitude 620 (Dual Core), very smooth ang playback.

Anyway, I find KM Player to be the smoothest ride with the least CPU resource usage compared to other players (still quite high though at more than 50%) and it's ridiculously tweakable beyond most user's needs (and probably comprehension).  Hopefully, experts will soon find ways to tap as much graphics power from GPUs for MKV playback as well.    I used to like VLC player (even though it's even more of a power hog at high quality settings) but for some reason after I changed my graphics card to 8600GTS (from 7600GT) on our main desktop, there has been a clear disparity in image quality between KM Player and VLC.   As far as comparison of smoothness between 8600GTS and 7600GT, konti lang difference.   Gumaang lang ang fast forward and rewind especially for 1080p contents.

Dont have PS3 but have actually seen playback of "MKV converted to VOB" hd file through a friend's PS3 connected to a 42-inch plasma.  VERY VERY GOOD!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline I-Qoute

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Wow...that's nice! Yes I saw the list it's available na.  ;) I'm a newbie into this HD download but after experiencing it last week for the first time...with good PQ this could save us lots of $. Now I understand what's the fuzz all about. ;D

where can i find these hi def files for downloads? How long does it take to download a 10gb file?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
How long does it take to download a 10gb file?

Downloading time for a 10GB file can take between a good night's sleep (on a very good day) and forever, depending on your internet speed and number of seeders of a particular title.   

For instance, if you get a steady stream of 50kb/s, it would take about 56 hours to finish the download.  28 hours if you can manage 100kb/s download speed...In order to finish in 8 hours, you need a steady speed of about 350kb/s...and dont forget to give back by seeding at least as much as you receive.

Now if the movie data is not 100% available, then you max out at the available percentage and you could get stuck there like forever.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Dont have PS3 but have actually seen playback of "MKV converted to VOB" hd file through a friend's PS3 connected to a 42-inch plasma.  VERY VERY GOOD!   ;D ;D ;D

My original intention was to play the mkv files try my PS3 but I didn't realize it's not compatible thus, I need to convert the files first....but it's a very tedious process...that's where I decided to buy/use a HDMI video out card to conect my PC direct to my AVR/LCD.  ;D

But I still collect Blu-ray for my favourite movies....guess it's the best of both worlds.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 12:21 AM by pchin »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
i'm double dipping nga some DVD movies i have like 5th Element, iba talaga ang uncompressed LPCM ^_^

Offline I-Qoute

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
i'm double dipping nga some DVD movies i have like 5th Element, iba talaga ang uncompressed LPCM ^_^
UR more satisfied w/ the audio quality rather than the picture quality of bluray?

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
As much as possible, I only buy the new titles. I said as much as possible but there would always the be the temptation of double dipping if the price is right.  What I said is not absolute.  ;D

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
For me it's not worth anymore, sooner or later DVD will be gone like VCD. We can't deny it.

We are in the era of High Definition another big step on Digital Age.
We invest on HD TV,  if you don't invest for HD Media (Blu-Ray) you can't justify your upgrade especially viewing your favorite movie on HD format ;D
Actually, PQ & SQ are really improved its worth investment!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008 at 10:55 AM by odyopayl »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
^ Im sorry i missed your point, are you saying its not worth buying bluray versions of movies you already have in dvd?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
^ Im sorry i missed your point, are you saying its not worth buying bluray versions of movies you already have in dvd?

I think probably odyopayl meant it's not worth collecting DVD anymore as DVD will be gone like VCD. But I think DVD will stay on for many more years to come esp with the drop in price. :)

UR more satisfied w/ the audio quality rather than the picture quality of bluray?

Probably darkwing is referring to other than the PQ, there's also the audio quality such as uncompressed LPCM which justiify double dipping.  ;D

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
I understand if that was the point, ditching dvd versions for hi def versions, however there are older movies that came out in dvd that would look great in HD, which might merit a double dip :)

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
yeah i double dip all the time na, once you've heard uncompressed LPCM parang dull na ang DVD version :3 huhuhuhuhuhuhuhu

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
I understand if that was the point, ditching dvd versions for hi def versions, however there are older movies that came out in dvd that would look great in HD, which might merit a double dip :)

Me too can't resist esp when my favourite movies are released in BD that score good VQ & AQ. Got to double dip otherwise it feels incomplete. ;D

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:

Sorry to confused you! I'm referring to HD Version which are now worth Investment
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
Bro, probably you should re-state your query on the 'Subject' field to avoid confusion.
Kse right now it could be read straight up as...

"Is it worth collecting old movies that, u have already watched in Bluray?"
...meaning the titles you already watched in Bluray, are you still gonna collect it?

If you change the syntax to:
"Is it worth getting in Bluray, old movies that you have already watched?"
...then you'll probably better drive home your point.  ;)
...if this was your original intention then my answer would be...

Y E S

Cheers buddy!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2008 at 06:03 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:

Y E S

That's a convincing bunch of happy smiley faces Jasper :D
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2008 at 06:14 PM by pchin »

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
There was a time that I would double dip on dvds that I already have. Now with Blueray, I might just buy a few titles to double dip especially my favorites if i buy my hdtv. But i am still pretty much satisfied with my pixel plus crt tv to do the switch. anyway, as with any technology, prices will go down and quality gets better as it gets adopted by the mainstream.