Author Topic: CINEMALAYA 2008  (Read 13508 times)

Offline oggsmoggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CINEMALAYA 2008 Goes UP
« Reply #30 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 02:07 PM »
No problem. What do you think about Khavn's Ultimo? Is it better than Squatterpunk?

***Back to the topic, ticket price to the Cinemalaya 2008 screenings is PHP 70.

That's a difficult question. There are points in Ultimo wherein I was on the verge of tears, ready to proclaim Khavn as a genius. Ultimo, for me, will only work, if you close your mind, and let the barrage of music, cinema, dance, and poetry affect you at a purely emotional, if not spiritual level. Squatterpunk is cartoon (great cartoon, though) compared to this.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
Re: CINEMALAYA 2008
« Reply #31 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 02:56 PM »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jul 26, 2008 at 01:09 PM »
THE NEW ORO PLATA MATA

ANOTHER INTRIGUING entry is “Concerto”, by Paul Alexander Morales (son of Horacio “Boy” Morales). This is a period piece like “Oro Plata Mata” and we don’t know how he’s able to pull it off with only a grant of P500,000. “Concerto” is about how, in the last part of World War II, a special piano concert is held in the forest outside Davao City, in Mindanao. In the mountains, a displaced Filipino family, lead by former Military Commander Ricardo and his wife Julia, become acquainted with a group of Japanese officers, who camped nearby. Their son Joselito speaks Japanese and becomes the conduit with the neighboring Japanese. Their daughters Nina, an aspiring concert pianist, and the musically gifted Maria, who is able to play by ear, are alternately repulsed and intrigued by the officers.   Family values are questioned as the family treads the thin line between enmity and friendship with the occupying Japanese.  Based on true stories from the director’s own family history, “Concerto” celebrates a family whose reverence for life, expressed through their love of music and friendship, can survive even war, and shows how beauty and compassion does grow in even the harshest of conditions. Paul Morales’ interest in directing was honed in UP where he majored in Theater Arts. A noted theater director, dancer and choreographer, Paul’s first work in digital video ‘Karga Mano’ adapted from the play by Nicolas Pichay and co-directed with Tess Jamias was cited as the Best Full Length Digital Work by the Gawad CCP para sa Alternatibong Pelikula in 2001. He was an apprentice to director Jeffrey Jeturian, choreographing and assisting the director for such works as ‘Bridal Shower’. For last year’s Cinemalaya, he was Choreographer and Executive Producer to Aureas Solito’s ‘Pisay’.  He was the founder of the Dulaang Talyer, an experimental theater company, and is presently Artistic Director of the award winning Airdance, a contemporary dance company based in Quezon City.  His theater, dance and film works have been featured in festivals locally and abroad.  “Concerto” stars Meryll Soriano, Jay Aquitania, Shamaine Buencamino, danseur Nonoy Froilan, Elijah Castillo, Alyssa Lescano and Yna Asistio, with Japanese actors Hiro Sakoda, Masay Okazawa, Kazumi Yoshida.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #33 on: Jul 26, 2008 at 02:13 PM »
Interesting. Paul has been a theater director for years--in fact he directed an excellent version of Bilog, by Nicholas Pichay, one of the best theater productions I've ever seen. He's been attempting to work on film, but I don't think he's found the right material. I guess he has, now.
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2008 at 02:18 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jul 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 27, 2008 at 07:19 PM »
Interesting. Paul has been a theater director for years--in fact he directed an excellent version of Bilog, by Nicholas Pichay, one of the best theater productions I've ever seen. He's been attempting to work on film, but I don't think he's found the right material. I guess he has, now.

CONCERTO has always been compared to TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS & ORO PLATA MATA. But I guess, TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS & ORO PLATA MATA are tough act to follow.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 04:25 PM »
CONCERTO has always been compared to TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS & ORO PLATA MATA. But I guess, TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS & ORO PLATA MATA are tough act to follow.

To my mind, CONCERTO is better than Oro. And why? Because in CONCERTO, the filmmakers knew their limitations and did not have any grand aspirations; as result, they came out with a film that was beautiful in its sparseness yet elegant in look.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2008 at 05:43 PM by RMN »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 12:03 AM »
And the editing near the end  - - right before the evacuation - - - was just terrific. I agree, RMN. Oro was too grandiose for my taste, but then I was never much of a fan (sorry, keats ;D). I have  a few issues with Concerto (mostly the same issues I had with Boses, except I thought Concerto was the better film, although Boses's lead is one of Concerto's producers, it turns out)  but I liked its austerity and subtlety.

Also saw Baby Angelo, I have issues with it (too short, too much plot, could've used another hour spending time with the characters) but I give it an unbiased thumbs up regardless.

Now I'm hoping I find the time and energy to write about these at length - - and the more than a dozen or so movies I've seen since I last posted a piece. :)
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008 at 12:04 AM by X44 »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 09:34 AM »

Also saw Baby Angelo, I have issues with it (too short, too much plot, could've used another hour spending time with the characters) but I give it an unbiased thumbs up regardless.

Baby Angelo didn't really rank high on my list nor did it bowl me over, however, I liked it for what it was and didn't find it as bad as most people did. But true, there were too many characters and too many things going on.

Might I add, I found the exodus (evacuation) scene in Concerto more powerful than the burning Hacienda scene in Oro.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008 at 10:10 AM by RMN »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM »
Baby Angelo didn't really rank high on my list nor did it bowl me over, however, I liked it for what it was and didn't find it as bad as most people did. But true, there were too many characters and too many things going on.

Might I add, I found the exodus (evacuation) scene in Concerto more powerful than the burning Hacienda scene in Oro.

Agree on the exodus scene. And dammit if the movie didn't make me want to look for kamotecue outside the UP theater but it finished late kaya wala nang maglalako.  ;D

I actually liked all the characters in Baby Angelo and wanted to spend a lot more time with them. Funnily, I didn't care much about the baby itself.  All the points the movie wanted to make, some of which it made beautifully, could have been made with just the girls in 1F.

There's some languid plotless mood piece in there, which I would've prefered and would've suited Joel's directing style. But for what it was, it was good enough.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 07:23 PM »
To my mind, CONCERTO is better than Oro. And why? Because in CONCERTO, the filmmakers knew their limitations and did not have any grand aspirations; as result, they came out with a film that was beautiful in its sparseness yet elegant in look.

If Paul Morales was able to capture the period piece look of CONCERTO with just a modest budget of P500,000 then.......it was quite a rare feat.

ORO had P2.5 m price tag even production designer Don Escudero during its 20th Anniversary presscon admitted that there were a lot of freebies that didn't register in the accounting process. Everytime I watch it, its still a stunner for me.

The more positive feedback I got, the more I'm eager to watch CONCERTO.

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008 at 07:40 PM by keating »

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 09:49 PM »
If Paul Morales was able to capture the period piece look of CONCERTO with just a modest budget of P500,000 then.......it was quite a rare feat.

ORO had P2.5 m price tag even production designer Don Escudero during its 20th Anniversary presscon admitted that there were a lot of freebies that didn't register in the accounting process. Everytime I watch it, its still a stunner for me.

The more positive feedback I got, the more I'm eager to watch CONCERTO.

Bro according to the director who my friend was able to chat with at the CCP, the budget bloated to P2M..

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 10:02 PM »
It looks like Francis Pasion's Jay has snuck into the Orizzonti line-up of the Venice Film Festival, along with Lav Diaz's 450 minute Melancholia.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM »
Saw Jay this afternoon at UP. Good one - - -and really funny in spots. Liked the final sequence a lot. This and Confessional may have restored my faith in the Naturalborn Killers school of filmmaking which I thought was past its prime. Lots of parallels between the two right down to the fake credit. The influence of Jeffrey's Tuhog is very strong, though, which director Francis sort of admitted in his opening remarks. Haven't seen the much-ballyhooed 100 yet but I can see why this bagged the top prize.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008 at 11:19 PM by X44 »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 08:45 AM »
Bro according to the director who my friend was able to chat with at the CCP, the budget bloated to P2M..

Some of the entries got grant from other sources also, blitz. I bet Morales and company didn't get the costumes from ukay-ukay. Almost all of the feedback that I got for CONCERTO, its even much better and very far than the Joel Lamangan period epic which the title slipped on my mind again.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 08:53 AM »
Saw Jay this afternoon at UP. Good one - - -and really funny in spots. Liked the final sequence a lot. This and Confessional may have restored my faith in the Naturalborn Killers school of filmmaking which I thought was past its prime. Lots of parallels between the two right down to the fake credit. The influence of Jeffrey's Tuhog is very strong, though, which director Francis sort of admitted in his opening remarks. Haven't seen the much-ballyhooed 100 yet but I can see why this bagged the top prize.

Yeah, Jay is good, and hilarious. I have a feeling I'll be liking this much more in the future, probably even more than Jeffrey Jeturian's Tuhog, simply because of the fact that it has its humor out in the open. That ending, it increased my appreciation tenfold.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 11:17 AM »

Offline Qoheleth

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM »
Some of the entries got grant from other sources also, blitz. I bet Morales and company didn't get the costumes from ukay-ukay. Almost all of the feedback that I got for CONCERTO, its even much better and very far than the Joel Lamangan period epic which the title slipped on my mind again.

Title of the Lamangan film is Ais**te Imasu (Mahal Kita).

I was surprised to learn that the 2:30 film screening of Genghis Khan at UP Diliman last Monday was free to the public. Are all 2:30 film screenings free to the public?
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM by Qoheleth »

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1238
« Reply #48 on: Jul 31, 2008 at 08:51 PM »
Screening of 100 today at the UP was packed & sold-out. After the film, Chris Martinez & Mylene Dizon stepped on stage to announce that the film will be going to Pusan.

Offline demented_

• Apprentice
  • http://dementedguy.wordpress.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 01, 2008 at 10:36 AM »
Kailan kaya ang showing ng mga pelikulang ito sa SM cinemas?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 01, 2008 at 06:10 PM »
Matagal tagal pa malamang o malabo na. The 2007 entries haven't been shown anywhere yet except for Tribu, I think, and that was only at Cinemanila. I only saw 2007's Cinemalaya entry Pisay at this year's Cinemalaya.

UP's your best bet. Or maybe Cinemanila.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 01, 2008 at 06:14 PM »
Yeah, Jay is good, and hilarious. I have a feeling I'll be liking this much more in the future, probably even more than Jeffrey Jeturian's Tuhog, simply because of the fact that it has its humor out in the open. That ending, it increased my appreciation tenfold.

Agree.  I think humor is vastly underutilized in our current independent cinema,which is why things like Jay and When Timawa Meets Delgado feel so fresh and vibrant. Not that I myself think  there's anything wrong with gravitas but  it would be terrific to  see more indie comedies.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 02, 2008 at 09:36 AM »
These indie flicks should reach more audience especially WHEN TIMAWA MEETS DELGADO.

Best bet also will be at Indie Sine at Robinson's Galleria.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 02, 2008 at 12:44 PM »
Best bet also will be at Indie Sine at Robinson's Galleria.

Tribu,Maximo,Tulad ng Dati and Maximo are the only Cinemalaya  films (I think) that got screened at Indiesine so UP's still the go-to place for them, although it may be too late now as there are just a few days left.

Offline Qoheleth

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 09:47 AM »
Kailan kaya ang showing ng mga pelikulang ito sa SM cinemas?

Most of the Cinemalaya 2008 films will probably get their theatrical runs at the IndieSine theaters (Robinsons Galleria, Manila and Iloilo). Six Cinemalaya 2007 films Tukso, Still Life, Tribu, Ligaw Liham, Gulong, and Kadin were screened at IndieSine Galleria.

Endo and Pisay had their theatrical runs last February 2008 at the larger SM theater circuit. Only Sinungaling na Buwan was not given a theatrical run.

Popular Cinemalaya 2008 films Jay and 100 will probably have wider theatrical runs (read SM theaters). The rest will probably get a week-long theater run at IndieSine. OT: Showing now at IndieSine Galleria is Khavn's wonderful Paalam Aking Bulalakaw.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008 at 02:30 PM by Qoheleth »

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1238
« Reply #55 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 12:59 PM »
Endo and Pisay had their theatrical runs last February 2008 at the larger SM theater circuit.

I saw Endo at Gateway last Feb. It was also shown at Glorietta 4. I also remember Pisay being screened at SM Megamall as I was hoping to watch it there. Missed it though.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008 at 12:59 PM by jas »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 01:08 PM »
Cautionary notes on Cinemalaya’s success

By Bibsy Carballo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 19:19:00 07/25/2008

MANILA, Philippines—On its fourth year, the Cinemalaya Philippine Independent Film Festival and Competition is reaping the fruits of its labors. We were witness recently to the mixed throng of students, new converts to the indie scene, and foreigners who jostled for tickets at the box office. Even the worst (by word of mouth) films in competition had full houses. —Amazing for an industry said to be in the doldrums.

But, with success often comes trouble. We are told that the independent digital industry may also have spawned some spoiled brats.

Innovation

Any innovation has its up side and down side. Among the indies, we have unearthed quite a number of gems, some of them unknowns attracted by the possibility of freely exercising their creativity.

Perhaps that is where the problem starts. Total freedom is a misnomer. Total freedom without any corresponding accountability is tantamount to irresponsibility. Some new filmmakers, without background, training or experience, are suddenly thrust into this bright new world, where modern technology has made it possible for practically anyone to be a writer-director-producer.

It used to be that tyros had to undergo an initiation before getting accepted into the august realm of the movie director. Movie veterans have a word for that—pang matrikula. You needed to learn the ropes from your peers, to start from scratch before you could hope to sit on a director’s chair. Today, that is gone.

There were already intimations of this in previous years, but it seems to be getting worse as the festival gets an international reputation.

Humility

So early in the game, some new filmmakers have grown horns—may sungay na. They lack the humility to accept the fact that they are greenhorns and should be guided. A veteran director tells us that this is possibly because some filmmakers now have it so easy. Hindi sila dumaan sa butas ng karayom, he says.

Nowadays, there’s funding available from various sources, and grants for all stages of production. Plus, the world has shrunk due to inventions in communication, which are within the reach of everyone—rich or poor, educated and uneducated.

Horror stories

We’ve heard horror stories of how some new producer-writer-directors exploit the situation. In the area of talent fees, some productions do not pay staff, crew and cast what they deserve. The excuse is, “Digital lang ito, e.” And they are often also forgotten when the filmmaker wins an award, or gets to sell the movie abroad.

However, we should not despair. The bad eggs will prosper for only a season. It is the truly talented ones who love the craft and respect the industry who will last. We are certain the people behind Cinemalaya recognize this and will not allow the situation to depress them.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 05:34 PM »
Cinemalaya have created monsters already? The price of success?  ???

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 24, 2008 at 02:50 AM »
Two Takes on Cinemalaya

Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 09:50am (Mla time) 07/31/2008

Cinemalaya: Five out of seven

By Gibbs Cadiz

Of the 10 competing full-length movies in the 2008 Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival, I saw seven, and five of them ranged from good enough to extraordinary.

To break that down: Chris Martinez’s “100” and Francis Pasion’s “Jay” were extraordinary, Paul Morales’ “Concerto” and Ellen Ongkeko-Marfil’s “Boses” were very good, and Onnah Valera and Ned Trespeces’ “My Fake American Accent” was good enough.

Five out of seven isn’t a bad ratio, and what made it more significant was that, in my view, these films could only have been made under Cinemalaya’s aegis. “By their fruits ye shall know them.” No mainstream movie/TV studio today would dare make any of these films, or even allow their transgressive, aggressively non-conformist scripts to reach first base.

Ambitious ‘Concerto’

“Concerto,” for starters, is an ambitious historical film about a family trying to survive the war in 1940s Davao. It manages to look expensive, yet intimate. The production design is excellent and well-sustained, despite the fact that every Cinemalaya director works with just P500,000 as seed money.

Except for a wayward summarizing speech in the middle and a couple of distended sequences that could stand pruning, nearly everything in the movie looks, sounds and feels so authentic, one can’t help but hold it up against the most recent (mainstream and big-budgeted) local movie set in World War II: Joel Lamangan’s “Aicrape Imasu.”

By any measure, “Concerto” is a much better picture. I heard some people compare it to the legendary “Oro, Plata, Mata” by Peque Gallaga. I wouldn’t go that far (“Oro” is my favorite Pinoy movie—at least the first two-thirds of it, so I don’t want to be cavalier about its stature), but I understand such praise. It’s rare to see a historical film done right in these parts – and with such paltry resources yet. “Concerto” proves it can be done.

Accessible entries

Martinez’s “100,” Ongkeko-Marfil’s “Boses” and Valera and Trespeces’ “My Fake American Accent” are highly accessible (and therefore commercially feasible) entries. But they, too, display a welcome freshness, fortitude and unconventionality, even with subjects as clichéd as dying, child abuse or the peculiar culture of the call-center industry.

The moving “Boses” offers an emotionally rich, cathartic experience with the well-worn tale of an abused boy finding solace in music, and proving to be a prodigy. This is an intense, heartfelt film brimming with lovely moments, notably those involving the violinist Coke Bolipata (in his adequate debut as an actor) mentoring the boy (Julian Duque) on the violin.

Duque is an acting and musical find. He speaks not a word but his performance shines, and his violin-playing is even more astounding. The movie he anchors and illuminates traces its story neatly, soberly, without fuss or histrionics.

Here we go again: Watch “Boses” and see if Gil Portes’ “Mga Munting Tinig” doesn’t seem too stilted by comparison.

“100” has all the qualifying elements to make it a middling disease-of-the-week melodrama. Happily, it is injected with the one vaccine it needs to transcend its soggy genre: irony.

A young woman coming to terms with dying in her prime? Hello, Ishmael Bernal’s “Pahiram ng Isang Umaga” starring Vilma Santos! But “100” is cheekily aware of its antecedent, so it set out to upend it—by boldly referencing Bernal’s classic weepie in a scene in the movie, and elsewhere rinsing itself of any hint of bathos.

Every crying jag is expertly counterweighted with a hilarious moment, often courtesy of those two great comics, Eugene Domingo and Tessie Tomas, even if their scenes aren’t supposed to be funny.

Mylene Dizon is persuasive in the lead role—hard-nosed but sympathetic, a thorny blend to pull off. It helps that she’s been photographed masterfully by Larry Manda, whose work is one of those elements that makes this film the most pulido of the seven entries that I saw.

Spoiler alert

From writing and directing to the performances and production values, “100” is an admirably polished work. And (spoiler alert!) watching Domingo, Tomas et al skinny dip has got to be a cinematic highlight not easily forgotten.

Ranged against “Boses” and “100,” “My Fake American Accent” is lightweight fare—episodic sketches of the upside-down lives, work schedules and mind-set of call-center agents. It’s the kind of film Jose Javier Reyes would have made with its jaunty tone and quirky, individualized characters, although with more panache and better lighting.

Unexpected victor

But, but, but—it wins viewers over with its hip sense of fun and youthful exuberance, credible situations and strikingly natural dialogue. Unlike many mainstream films or TV dramas that fail miserably to capture the contemporary Makati/Ortigas milieus, this one does, and quite wittily. The filmmakers clearly did their research.

On the down side, the sound design is bad, the cinematography garish. The performers, however, led by Mailes Kanapi, are charming.

Which brings me to “Jay,” for me the unexpected victor at the festival. Thank heavens for a movie like this, something long overdue given the insidious pervasiveness of our vapid TV culture.

Spare, deadpan, brutally hilarious, “Jay” comments on—nay, eviscerates—the sheer artificiality and untruth of so-called reality television. And it does so without raising a voice—rather, without its darn good lead actor, Baron Geisler, doing so.

Playing a sweetly manipulative TV producer/reporter who’d do anything, including re-create scenes of genuine tragedy, to get his story, Geisler paces through his chores with nary a flutter of his gay character’s well-scrubbed hands. He keeps everything soft and low-key, yet in the end he conveys, with enormous power, the monstrous deceit of his actions.

This precise, economical performance becomes the unblinking insider’s eye that gives viewers a peek at the fraudulent myth-making created for our tawdry consumption.

It’s not just Geisler’s revelatory performance that’s commendable. Pasion’s script is sharp, subtle, complex and thought-provoking, playing with and rearranging our notions of illusion and reality right up to the last frame. His multi-layered storytelling owes a debt to Pedro Almodovar, particularly to “Bad Education” which, with dollops of bite and humor, also teases out the fine points of reality-making and truth-telling and the hazy subtexts in between.

At its most inspired, specifically in the scenes of a wake in a barrio, “Jay” is howlingly funny, yet also piercingly discerning.

Poised throughout

It’s certainly not the easiest film to make, thematically and stylistically; a few pushy moments induce the fear that it will lurch into camp or overwrought, self-conscious pomposity. Remarkably, its poise holds throughout, giving us a movie whose grim vision will, I believe, only acquire prescient, consequential weight from now on—let TV be damned.

All things considered, “100” and “Jay” were both shoo-ins for Best Picture, but I rooted for “Jay” and I’m glad it won Best Picture honors.

While “100” is the more accomplished work overall, “Jay” fulfills Cinemalaya’s indie aesthetic more forcefully, from its subject matter to its tone, treatment and execution. It shows the way forward, if you will, for other works that strain at the limits and ask the hard questions. Bravo to our young filmmakers.