Author Topic: Panasonic 42PV8 - Bang for the Buck  (Read 97512 times)

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Panasonic 42PV8 - Bang for the Buck
« Reply #60 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 04:34 PM »
sir pa pm din ng promo price ng 42pv8

sent you pm sir.

Offline foiegras

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 08:10 PM »
also me ;D pm price for promo pv8 and also if possible 32-42" lcd/plasma's narin.  i'm interested on buying one. thanks!

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 08:18 PM »
also me ;D pm price for promo pv8 and also if possible 32-42" lcd/plasma's narin.  i'm interested on buying one. thanks!

hi sir, i'll pm you now. ;)

Offline busabos

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:30 PM »
Just bought this unit today @ theaterworks and it will be delivered tomorrow.  I was about to by the LG 32" plasma but the crew of theaterworks have excellent convincing skills  ;D

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #64 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 11:39 PM »
Hi Guys,

This is my first foray into the flat panel technology.  I've finally replaced my 29-inch JVC Interiart after more than 10 years of service - still running pretty well without issues, but the new flat panel technologies have really overtaken crt by a long stretch, and the price of the new flat panels have really dropped within practical striking distance.  Hence I finally decided to get the 42PV8, based on reviews here and abroad, price, and also due to the influence of it's popular predecessor the 42PV70.

One of the worries that I have prior to purchasing a flat panel was the PQ on cable TV programming, since we're using it 70-80% of the time watching cable TV only. I've been reading comments that plasma or lcd TV has acceptable quality on cable TV, but never a comment that plasma or lcd is much better than crt on cable TV.  To add to my worries, my cable TV is probably the cheapest cable company in Metro Manila (Cablelink in Paranaque) - no choice because it is the only provider allowed in our condo. We'll, to those who have the same predicament, I would like to mention that even with the second rate cable TV connection that I have, the 42PV8 offers much much better PQ than my old CRT when viewing cable TV programming.

Here's my HT setup -

Panasonic 42PV8
Onkyo 702 AVR
Pioneer DV400 DVD upscaler (should have taken the DV600, I was not aware that this has no optical out -but very good PQ output)
Popcorn Hour A100 Network Media Tank (for my HD movies - 720p and 1080p)
Dali (front speakers)
Infinity (center speaker)
Bose (rear speakers)

Here's my take on the Panasonic 42PV8
1. Cable TV viewing - great, much much better than my old CRT TV
2. DVD viewing - superb, I was initially planning to get the Toshiba 37C3500, after seeing this side-by-side (no contest)
3. HD movies - I've tried several HD movies (Saving Private Ryan 720p, Raiders of the Lost Arc 1080p, others) and 1080p/720p demos of Philips and Samsung via my Popcorn Hour - this unit displays better quality than most displays from the big appliance shop. Blu-ray players and disks are still too pricey, if you want HD movies, an HTPC or a network media tank like the Popcorn Hour would deliver the same quality as the the BD players.
4. PC connection - as expected, picture quality is very good, text are crisps and defined - this is when connected to a laptop through VGA connector only ...those planning to hook this up to HTPC's would be impressed - I wouldn't use it though as a regular PC monitor - too big ...hehe
5. I've been hearing about the heat dissipated by the 42PV70 - the 42PV8 does not exhibit the same thing ... heat dissipation is almost similar to my old TV

I wanted to post pics for those who wants to see the PQ on cable TV, DVD, Popcorn Hour, and PC viewing, but I do not know how to set my camera properly so as not to display the black lines that appears on the screen or the blurred image when I try other setups.  If you want to see pics, please help me out on setting up the camera (i'm just a point and click photographer  >:() ... I'm using a Sony DSC-H9 camera, it has plenty of presets and also has manual mode - please let me know the correct settings including the recommended room lighting ...thanks.

Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline ramgos

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 06:21 AM »
After buying and testing the 42PV8, I could say that the picture is a big improvement compared to the PV70. 
Although the PV70 is already a very good tv. I suggest, upgrade time na!  ;D

BTW, Thanks to Sir Nemesis for the good deals.  :D

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 02:08 PM »

Sent pm.

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 03:01 PM »
After buying and testing the 42PV8, I could say that the picture is a big improvement compared to the PV70. 
Although the PV70 is already a very good tv. I suggest, upgrade time na!  ;D

BTW, Thanks to Sir Nemesis for the good deals.  :D

Thanks din sa purchse guys! ;)

Offline Jonassen

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 05:11 PM »
Pansonic TH42PV8 is now available at SRP69,900. with Panasonic Philippine Certificate of Guaranty. Call for more deal.
Add P5,000. for a SC-PT160 home-theater system.

Visit Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-la Plaza. For further inquiry, call 634-1789 to 90 or mobile 09175413491.

Nice dealing with you Boss Vic.  Package arrived and installed at the time/date sent.  Hassle lang cable reception ko.  I would get in touch first with my provider before I try anything else.  I chickened out of the Pana Blu-Ray.   ;D  Next time na lang when the 50 series arrives.

Thanks.

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 05:17 PM »
Nice dealing with you Boss Vic.  Package arrived and installed at the time/date sent.  Hassle lang cable reception ko.  I would get in touch first with my provider before I try anything else.  I chickened out of the Pana Blu-Ray.   ;D  Next time na lang when the 50 series arrives.

Thanks.

bro, try changing the region/area setting to AMERICA. had the same issue before, pero when i read the manual, followed it, voila! medyo acceptable naman na ang cable signal.

hope this helps.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline jocas1006

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 07:49 PM »
Just got my 42PV8.

The PQ is impressive even for standard cable TV signal. DVD quality is also good but since my connection is just standard AV cable, this will be better if I use HDMI as what raptor mentioned.

Got my unit from E-reply who gave me a very good price especially since it is a cash purchase. Sir Vic, yung Luna table ko ha. Still waiting for it. Text or call me na lang. Meron din bang burn-in time ito like the PV70?

Would just like to ask raptor also for the Popcorn Hour where he bought it. I saw it in tipidpc but don't know if it is legit.

I think this is the best forum I've joined into compared to the rest. There are a few heckling but at the end of the day, everyone's being objective about the issue on AUDIO/VIDEO, which is really what it is all about.

Have a nice day!

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 10:36 PM »
Just got my 42PV8.

The PQ is impressive even for standard cable TV signal. DVD quality is also good but since my connection is just standard AV cable, this will be better if I use HDMI as what raptor mentioned.

Got my unit from E-reply who gave me a very good price especially since it is a cash purchase. Sir Vic, yung Luna table ko ha. Still waiting for it. Text or call me na lang. Meron din bang burn-in time ito like the PV70?

Would just like to ask raptor also for the Popcorn Hour where he bought it. I saw it in tipidpc but don't know if it is legit.

I think this is the best forum I've joined into compared to the rest. There are a few heckling but at the end of the day, everyone's being objective about the issue on AUDIO/VIDEO, which is really what it is all about.

Have a nice day!

hi jocas,

congrats on your purchase of this nice piece ... i got my popcorn hour from one of the sellers (Ert) here in pdvd - quite a good fast transaction delivered on my designated pick-up place ... besides Ert, there are two other sellers - HD_Movies and Gren ... the other two are packaging the popcorn hour with HDD and hi-def contents ... i don't know however if who is offering the better package ... checkout the post on the Market Place section of this forum, under the Personal Electronics category - i also posted some reviews regarding the Popcorn Hour in that forum

Offline surg

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 01:03 PM »
Good day mga Sirs! anybody can say if there's a lot of difference regarding picture quality bet PV8 and PV80? Bcoz if the ONLY difference is the number of HDMI and SD port, then I'll go for the PV8
TIA for the replies

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 01:11 PM »
Good day mga Sirs! anybody can say if there's a lot of difference regarding picture quality bet PV8 and PV80? Bcoz if the ONLY difference is the number of HDMI and SD port, then I'll go for the PV8
TIA for the replies

Yup yung lang ang diff. ;)

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 02:23 PM »
TIA for the replies

no difference in picture quality, same panel and specs lang ... the differences are the additional HDMI in front, SD reader, swivel base, and piano black finish yung PV80 ... personally i did not find it practical to spend more for the PV80 for the following reasons -

1. Additional HDMI in front (basically for videocam input) - my current videocam does not have hdmi out anyway, most videocams do not have hdmi and even those with hdmi have component cable outs anyway ... so nothing lost here
2. SD card reader - i have a sony camera - memory stick, SD is not really a standard ... your camera will have rca out anyway or usb out ...for usb, your new dvd upscaler would normally have usb input ...hence i do not see this as a deal breaker ... you can use the usb input of your dvd player and plug-in a PhP 200 multi-memory card reader from cdr king and you have all types of memory card supported  ;D
3. piano black finish - it's only nice to see when your tv is off ... you wouldn't even notice the surface when tv is on ... accumulate pa ito ng finger prints - not really an advantage
4. swivel base - in my 30+ years of watching tv at home, i never experience requiring to sway the tv from side-to-side ... yung iba nga bumibili pa ng wall-mount para ma-fix yung tv ... sa pc monitor siguro pwede pa  ;D

just my opinion  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008 at 05:37 PM by raptor »

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 04:48 PM »
thanks a lot sir nemesis and sir raptor!

Offline jocas1006

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 08:22 PM »
Hi Raptor,

Thanks for the info on popcorn hour! I'll check the market place now. Ditto with your review.

Cheers!

Offline macoy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 10:36 PM »
 i just got the pv8 this afternoon from S&S thanks sir vic for a good deal. ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008 at 10:48 PM by macoy »

Offline GioSpike

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "It's showtime!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 12:29 AM »
Tested at Sights and Sounds Shangrila Mall. Thank you Sir Vic!
Panasonic 42PV8 for an HTPC

Below are the screenshots: (Right click the image and select "View Image" to view the actual photo size)
Windows desktop

Catalyst Control Center - Set to 1360x768

Catalyst Control Center - Set to 1024x768 - image appears stretched

Catalyst Control Center - Set to 1920x1080 - This is 1080p capable. Accepts 1080p signal. Text may not be readable.

All at 1360x768 resolution 16:9 aspect ratio

Sample webpage

MS Word

Text

Pixel Mapping - not 1:1

PC Game - Grid  1360x768

Left - Toshiba LCD 32AV500      Right - Panasonic Plasma 42PV8

Resolution: 1360x768
HDMI cable w/ DVI adapter

PC Specs:
Mobo: ASROCK Conroe1333-D667 R2.0
Processor: IntelĀ® Core2Duo E6750
Memory: Team Elite PC6400 DDR2 800MHz 1GB*2 (Dual)7
Graphics Card: Powercolor ATI HD 3850
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
HDD: 160gb Seagate SATA HDD (Primary), 320gb Seagate SATA HDD, 250gb Seagate SATA HDD
PSU: HEC Winpower 550 Watts

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2008 at 01:07 AM by GioSpike »

Offline DragonMix

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 12:37 AM »

How much for pv8, newbie here and where to buy? tia!

Offline charlie 669

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 01:03 AM »

Go to theater works sa trinoma, look for boss jeff. Mura dun!

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #81 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 08:59 AM »
Catalyst Control Center - Set to 1360x768

bossing,

pano mo naset to 1360x768 yung output?

have an HP laptop which automatically sets the resolution to 1360x768 when connected to Bravias and Samsungs.

but when i set the PV8 to 1360x768 (WXGA?) the laptop can't be set to output 1360x768 (but to 1024x768 only). bat kaya?

DVI to DVI connection lang ginagawa ko.

thx!

Offline GioSpike

• Collector
  • "It's showtime!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 09:26 AM »
DVI to DVI connection lang ginagawa ko.
May DVI out yung laptop mo? DVI-DVI cable with VGA adapter ginamit mo na nakakabit sa VGA input ng PV8?

HDMI cable with DVI adapter kasi ginamit ko. DVI sa PC, HDMI sa PV8. Hindi ko sinubukan yung VGA-DVI. Yung resolution lang pinalitan ko. Available sa akin lahat ng resolutions na 'to: 1360x768, 1280x720, 1024x768, 1920x1080. Nagwork din yung 42PV8 on these resolutions. Try mo na lang update yung graphics card mo.

Offline paquito_chips

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 09:58 AM »
ser gio.. thanks for providing those pics. i'm going to use it din kasi sa htpc. sarap maglaro ng grid.

Offline natosan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 10:11 AM »
sir, pa pm naman best price ng PV8, cash and cc. at how much discount if 2pcs. pakisama na rin ng 50PV70 kasi kung kunti lang diff baka mag-upsize na lang ako... tks

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 10:36 AM »
sir, pa pm naman best price ng PV8, cash and cc. at how much discount if 2pcs. pakisama na rin ng 50PV70 kasi kung kunti lang diff baka mag-upsize na lang ako... tks

pm sent sir. :)

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 11:23 AM »

Thanks for buying TV from Sights and Sounds.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 11:25 AM »

Sent you pm.
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2008 at 11:52 AM by E-reply »

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #88 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 10:58 AM »
May DVI out yung laptop mo? DVI-DVI cable with VGA adapter ginamit mo na nakakabit sa VGA input ng PV8?

HDMI cable with DVI adapter kasi ginamit ko. DVI sa PC, HDMI sa PV8. Hindi ko sinubukan yung VGA-DVI. Yung resolution lang pinalitan ko. Available sa akin lahat ng resolutions na 'to: 1360x768, 1280x720, 1024x768, 1920x1080. Nagwork din yung 42PV8 on these resolutions. Try mo na lang update yung graphics card mo.

VGA-VGA pala yung connection ko.  ;D naleleto na ko sa mga cables! hehehe.

ayaw talga lumabas ng 1360x768 sa PV8 ko e pero sa Bravias & new Samsungs lumalabas naman (automatically at that!).

will try updating my graphic card driver as you've suggested. thx sir!

Offline GioSpike

• Collector
  • "It's showtime!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 05:01 PM »
My Panasonic 42PV8 was delivered last night (From Sights and Sounds). Suprisingly, PQ on VGA connection looks better than HDMI on my HTPC. There's too much noise when connected through HDMI especially on dark scenes.