Author Topic: NAMETS (Yummy) Cinemalaya 2008 Entry  (Read 3312 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NAMETS (Yummy) Cinemalaya 2008 Entry
« on: Jun 20, 2008 at 09:36 AM »
My fellow Negrense, Jay Abello's entry next month at Cinemalaya.

www.nametsmovie.com

Synopsis:

Director Jay Abello describes his film Namets as a romantic comedy. He proudly proclaims, "It is the no angst film in Cinemalaya." He praises the acting skill of lead actress Angel Jacob who picked up the Ilonggo dialect in two months. Abello is ecstatic that they shot the dialogue almost entirely in Illonggo. Renowned director Peque Gallaga was also cast as a mafia boss. Namets (Yummy) follows the ongoing flirtation between Manuel and Lourdes, two native of the Negros province whose lives revolve around food. Along the way, we are treated to the full panorama of Ilonggo cuisine and the idiosyncrasies of appreciating it. Namets is a colorful rollicking celebration of food as well as love. Jay Abello explains, "If you notice, the love of food is very much part of our culture, not just in Negros but as Filipinos in general."
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2008 at 10:11 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: NAMETS (Yummy) Cinemalaya 2008 Entry
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2008 at 10:58 AM »
Trailer is up already on youtube! Yay! Love the music! The best-date movie at Cinemalaya 2008.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kOC7L1B36Hc
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 07:45 PM »
Join a celebration of love, and food, and love of food. The Negrense indie film "NAMETS!" - premieres on July 13, Sunday, 3:30 pm at the CCP Little Theatre.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2008 at 10:56 AM »
Schedule of screening:

July 13, Sunday  3:30 pm  CCP Little Theater (premiere)

July 15, Tuesday  6:15 pm  Tanghalang Huseng Batute 

July 16, Wednesday  9:00 pm  CCP Main Theater

July 18, Friday  6:15 pm  CCP Main Theater

July 18, Friday  6:15 pm  MKP Hall 

July 19, Saturday  12:45 pm  MKP Hall 

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2008 at 01:37 PM »
Caught the  gala preem yesterday. Sighted at the screening were Tony Boy Cojuangco Cinemalaya big boss along with Robbie Tan, Laurice Guillen & Johnny Delgado.

The Negrense entourage includes the whole cast and crew, Angel Jacob, Christian Vasquez, Dwight Gaston & Peque Gallaga, Joel Torre and a number of Ilonggos.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2008 at 05:52 PM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2008 at 04:09 PM »
Caught the  gala preem yesterday. Sighted at the screening were Tony Boy Cojuangco Cinemalaya big boss along with Robbie Tan, Laurice Guillen & Johnny Delgado.

The Negrenses entourage includes the whole cast and crew, Angel Jacob, Christian Vasquez, Dwight Gaston & Peque Gallaga, Joel Torre and a number of Ilonggos.

Kamusta yung movie keats? hehe...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2008 at 06:05 PM »
The subs were so difficult to read, I'm also a Negrense but its a shame that I can't understand the whole language of Ilonggo. I was born and raised in Manila already. But the main problem is the screenplay itself. The first part was quite good, but the second part it lose its momentum. The funniest part belongs to the gags by Dwight Gaston. Angel & Christian have chemistry though as partners.

As I told you yesterday, you can't expect too much for a light romantic comedy film. Ah, blame me on the fan mentality thing oggs, I'm guilty on that........but you should have stayed on the next screening, HUBAD.

I told PQ after that, its definitely better than NAMETS! He was able to redeem himself at once.

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2008 at 06:08 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 04:39 PM »
How'd you find the film Oggs, Keats? Bwahahahahaha! ::)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 05:49 PM »
I'm waiting for both of you, oggs, RMN to post your thoughts and review on the film.  ;D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 05:53 PM »
How'd you find the film Oggs, Keats? Bwahahahahaha! ::)

I'll try to write one up. I didn't like it for the simple fact that it promises to be lighthearted and angst-free, but even with such meager expectations, it fell short. Script was all over the place; never saw the connection between food and love; it had all the opportunity to be something else and tackle something that is endemic in Bacolod, but it existed merely to please (and it failed miserably even with that).

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 01:15 PM »
Tidbits from Mr. Lito Zulueta:

Because they are comedies, Onna Valera’s “My Fake American Accent” and Jay Abello’s “Namets” obscure their experimental nature. Entertaining at best, the movies show commendable attempts at humor and even satire.

Valera’s movie shows several intersecting lives in a technical assistance call center. The characters struggle amid merciless late-night shifts and office politics. Always sporting the fake American accent that is their ticket to higher-paying employment, they assess and reassess their identities, attempting with mixed results to rid their world of the fakery and virtual reality that have become their second nature.

“Namets” is a romantic comedy that tries to improve the genre by its loving take on Negros Occidental cuisine. Because of the love story, the movie threatens to be as saccharine as Bacolod piyaya. But it has a certain innovative quality about it, especially in its use of entertaining vignettes about food that are interspersed with the narrative (the film is written by award-winning novelist Vicente Groyon), including the Stanley Kubrick-like opening sequence about prehistoric Negros cave men accidentally discovering fire and inasal. The funniest vignette involves a father being stopped from slaughtering and cooking the household pet chicken, goat and dog by his animal-loving son, a tearjerker, if there was one.

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008 at 01:29 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked: