Author Topic: [R3 Review] DOA Dead or Alive (Dimension Extreme)  (Read 7817 times)

Offline wickedmonicker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Mrs Tom Welling
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
[R3 Review] DOA Dead or Alive (Dimension Extreme)
« on: May 29, 2008 at 11:53 AM »

Locally Released by: C Interactive Digital Entertainment
Local Price: PhP 250.00 at Astroplus Megamall
Runtime: 86 Minutes
Format: Letterbox Widescreen
MTRCB Rating: Parental Guidance

Background:

DOA: Dead Or Alive is based on the best selling “Dead or Alive” videogame franchise where the women “have the looks…that kill.” An all out action-packed extreme combat film about a secret invitational-only martial arts tournament where the world’s best fighters participate in a contest to win the ultimate fighting championship, DOA: Dead Or Alive centers around four hot female fighting machines who begin as competitive rivals, but subsequently find themselves teaming up with one another against a much more sinister force.

Synopsis:

Tina (Pressly), Christie (Valance), Kasumi (Aoki) and Helena (Carter) are four skilled martial artists whose outwardly sexy appearances betray their true, lethal natures. When the fearsome females each receive an invitation to take part in an illegal martial arts competition, the prospect of a ten-million-dollar top prize is only sweetened by the fact that they will be facing off against some of the toughest fighters on the planet. 

The girls check their inhibitions at the beach and prepare for a series of fights that will test not only their strength, stamina, and endurance, but the very foundation of their dedication to the martial arts as well.

Special Features:

East Meets West: Behind The Action Of DOA featurette

Monsterandcritics.com DVD Review:

DOA: Dead or Alive is based on the best selling “Dead or Alive” videogame franchise where the women “have the looks…that kill.” The film version of the game was directed by Corey Yuen (The Transporter) and written by J.F. Lawton, Adam Gross,  and Seth Gross.

It stars Jaime Pressly ("My Name is Earl"), Holly Valance ("Prison Break"), Devon Aoki (Sin City), Sarah Carter (Skinwalkers), Natassia Malthe (Skinwalkers),  Kane Kosugi (War), Eric Roberts (“Heroes”), Kevin Nash (The Punisher), and Matthew Marsden (Resident Evil: Extinction).

DOA’s plot is pretty straight forward – hot women dressed in skimpy outfits doing high wire martial arts with some laughs thrown in for fun. I am not too familiar with the video game franchise, but the filmmakers said they worked hard to keep some aspects of the game in the movie (such as the way the characters looked and an impromptu beach volleyball game). However, some aspects of the story were changed to fit the big screen.

Basically, the film focuses on Tina (Pressly), Christie (Valance), Kasumi (Aoki) and Helena (Carter) – the four main characters who each receive an invitation to take part in an illegal martial arts competition (think Enter the Dragon or even Bloodsport). The competition’s prize is ten-million-dollars and the right to claim you have beaten some of the toughest fighters on the planet. 

Of course, there is more to the competition thanks to bad guy Donovan (Roberts) – who hosts the event. He injects all the fighters with nanos to gain their skills in a computer download program (which requires him to sport some really bad looking sunshades). Naturally, the girls stumble upon this mystery “Scooby Doo style” and the final showdown between a nano-powdered Roberts and the women is set into motion.

Along the way, the movie also has some pretty decent comedy thrown in thanks to Pressly (who really seems comfortable in the role), and Nash (who plays her father Bass Armstrong). I wish Nash could have had a larger role because he added a lot of laughs by constantly walking in on his daughter at the wrong time.

Along with the eye candy provided by the film’s very hot women, DOA also offers some pretty decent high wire martial arts. The fight choreography is fast-paced, and for the most part pretty natural looking. Pressly, Valance, and Aoki seem believable in the fighting sequences, and help sell the high wire stunts.

The action isn’t enough to help the movie overcome some of its faults (which are mostly due to acting; the story being so cliché; and the PG-13 rating), but it keeps the film entertaining.

The DVD is a little light on special features – consisting of just a behind the scenes look at the making of the movie. It is interesting and has interviews with pretty much everyone involved in the film.

They discuss how the movie differs from the game, and the lengths they went through to get the some aspects of the game into the film (such as the look of the characters and the tournament’s setting).

Overall, DOA: Dead or Alive wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be, and is entertaining as long as you know what you are getting. It is one of those films that just require you to turn the brain off and enjoy the ride.

I would recommend it if you are a fan of video game based movies or want something that requires zero thought to watch. Just turn the DVD on and look at all the hot women kicking serious ass.

WICKEDMONICKER USER REVIEW:

Since I've been looking for this DVD since its movie debut on the big screen, the local release of this DVD is much appreciated...

DVD Cover is the same as the R1 dvd cover, albeit the icky C Interactive Logo at the back. hehehe

Dvd contains a meager 1 featurette of the making of the movie, but overall for 250 pesos.. this is a good buy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM by wickedmonicker »
App-aholic!!!

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: [R3 Review] DOA Dead or Alive (Dimension Extreme)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008 at 12:04 PM »
Is it really letterbox widescreen or AWS?

Offline wickedmonicker

• Collector
  • Mrs Tom Welling
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2008 at 12:01 AM »
on the back of the dvd it says:

WIDESCREEN VERSION PRESENTED IN A "LETTERBOX" WIDESCREEN FORMAT PRESERVING THE "SCOPE" ASPECT RATIO OF ITS ORIGINAL THEATRICAL EXHIBITION. ENHANCED FOR WIDESCREEN TVS.

So statistically speaking, most dvds with ENHANCED FOR WIDESCREEN TVS mean anamorphic right? :-\
App-aholic!!!

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2008 at 04:47 AM »
i would'nt trust C-interactive unless someone who bought it would say what was written on the back is correct or confirms it. i bought fractured also by C a couple of months ago and at the back it says 5.1 but it was'nt. also it was'nt wide screen.

does it have an imported sticker on it? i think the quality of their dvds with imported stickers are different. i can confirm this with the condemned and balistic.
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 11:20 AM »
Yes wicked, when it says Enhanced for Widescreen TV's it is anamorphic.

@JohnE.
One exception is Unleashed released by C-interactive which said DTS at the back cover and indeed it was DTS.  :D

Offline BoymnlomBargo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
lol
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2011 at 09:36 AM »
Wonder what others are gonna say lol..     

cna training