Author Topic: [R3 Review] Pan's Labyrinth (New Line 2-Disc Platinum Series)  (Read 10914 times)

Offline wickedmonicker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Mrs Tom Welling
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Locally Released by: C Interactive Digital Entertainment
Local Price: PhP 425.00 at Astroplus Megamall (as of June 20, 2008)
Runtime: 119 minutes
Format: 1.85:1 (Enhanced for widescreen tvs - CONFIRMED!)
MTRCB Rating: Restricted for Adults

Background:

From acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro (Blade II, Hellboy) comes a dark fantasy / thriller about a young girl who enters a mysterious Labyrinth and finds herself at the center of the ferocious battle between Good and Evil.
The movie's original title is El Laberinto del Fauno, but in America this movie was released as Pan's Labyrinth.

Movie Stills:

Special Features:

Disc 1
*Director's Prologue
*Feature Commentary by the director
*Marketing Campaign

Disc 2
*Featurettes
  *Power of the Myth
  *Pan and the Fairies
  *The Color and the Shape
  *The Charlie Rose Show
*DVD Comics
*DVD-ROM Features
*Director's Notebook

Verdict:

Disc 1:

Disc 1 features the movie itself which was presented in 1.85:1 aspect ratio. The movie looked superb, the violence too graphic (excellent!).

The menu looked exceptionally beautiful, and carefully artsy as seen below.

The movie is in Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, and there is an English subtitle (which is useful since not all of us speak spanish). This can be a turn-off to those people who particularly hate reading subtitles. But frankly this little snag shouldn't thwart you from watching this lovely movie.

Disc 2:

This is a jampacked special features disc (presented in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen format except the Charlie Rose Show feature), which included a free installer of the Inter-Actual Player (you need it to play the DVDROM features on the disc).

You have the option of playing English and Spanish subtitles, though there are some interviews that already has a "burned in" English subtitle (which is irksome if you're already displayed the subtitle).

I installed the Inter-Actual Player (afraid to miss so many dvdrom special features not playable in table-top dvd players), it was quick, it was painless but it was a hassle to boot my laptop just to see those.. but it was worthwhile -- best to wait when you're bored and your computer already running to see those dvdrom features.

The rest of the featurettes was comprehensive but not exhausting... you can really see the passion that went into making this film. Two thumbs up for the features.

Per net search, I found that this C-Interactive release doesn't differ much from it's Region 1 counterpart.
This dvd is excellent from start to finish, and it would be difficult to find a better looking movie (not to mention one of the most fantastical plots ive seen) on DVD, from the subtle but effective magical execution of the film to the wonderfully made but terribly visual violence sooo graphic i actually cringed on some scenes.

Again, as with most C-interactive releases, the dvd case leaves us much wanting... if only they also spend on the dvd packages, their dvds would be so much more desirable.

I never thought I'd see the day when there would be a local release of Pan's Labyrinth, and for only P425!!! THIS IS A BARGAIN... then again, we all know this'll be on sale in the near and happy future! ;D

Icaza feliz del dvd! (Happy dvd hunting!) hi hi hi  :D
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2008 at 02:52 AM by wickedmonicker »
App-aholic!!!

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
Re: [R3 Review] Pan's Labyrinth (New Line 2-Disc Platinum Series)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2008 at 07:00 AM »
unfortunately, the R3 release seems to have lost the DTS audio which was in the R1 release.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2008 at 09:44 AM »
and that c-interactive logo kills it for me. >:(

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2008 at 11:13 AM »
I seem to recall on the back cover of this local release that "DTS-ES 6.1" was listed as one of the audio tracks. You mean to say C-Interactive mis-labeled it again?  ???

Offline wickedmonicker

• Collector
  • Mrs Tom Welling
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 10:35 AM »
and that c-interactive logo kills it for me. >:(

you said it! I hate that too.. couldn't they afford to create a new logo that doesn't look too cheap.. growl!

I seem to recall on the back cover of this local release that "DTS-ES 6.1" was listed as one of the audio tracks. You mean to say C-Interactive mis-labeled it again?  ???

I believe the DTS-ES 6.1 feature is only available for R1 releases, i guess they don't bother modifying covers when reprinting R3s.
App-aholic!!!

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 12:21 PM »
My R3 no longer with me, so I can't check.  But it seems to be a straight copy from R1 discs, meaning no 'C Interactive " logo on film and yes DTS-ES 6.1.  but can't be 100% sure, as I no longer have the discs.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 12:40 PM »

I believe the DTS-ES 6.1 feature is only available for R1 releases, i guess they don't bother modifying covers when reprinting R3s.

I have the R1. So you're saying no, there is no DTS on our local R3 version?

it seems to be a straight copy from R1 discs, meaning no 'C Interactive " logo on film and yes DTS-ES 6.1.  but can't be 100% sure, as I no longer have the discs.

Can someone give a solid confirmation on whether or not Pan's Labyrinth R3 has DTS? A solid confirmation means "Yes. Pan's Labyrinth R3 has DTS" or "No. Pan's Labyrinth R3 does not have DTS".
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2008 at 12:42 PM by Dan »

Offline wickedmonicker

• Collector
  • Mrs Tom Welling
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2008 at 02:37 PM »
@ Dan

It would seem that the DTS is exclusive to the Region 1 release of the dvd... so
NO. PAN'S LABYRINTH R3 DOES NOT HAVE DTS...

hi hi hi

man.. you must be a DTS addict... :D
App-aholic!!!

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 12:03 AM »

man.. you must be a DTS addict... :D

No  :) Just want to get a straight answer, for once. This release could contain a 2-speaker Dolby track for all we know and I'd still push for an accurate listing of tech specs since it is, after all, supposed to be a proper review.

Besides, it's important. A product lists a feature on its box that is not on the disc? That's fraud.

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2008 at 01:42 PM »
at least-cinteractive is improving, my third dvd from cd interactive lang tong pans labyrinth ko, first was million dollar baby, second was arriors of the zu mountain, and my fourth was love actually...not countign the orginal lord of the rings from region 1, which was also released by c-interactive

Offline Mr. Deeds

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 11:46 PM »
I have the R1. So you're saying no, there is no DTS on our local R3 version?

Can someone give a solid confirmation on whether or not Pan's Labyrinth R3 has DTS? A solid confirmation means "Yes. Pan's Labyrinth R3 has DTS" or "No. Pan's Labyrinth R3 does not have DTS".

I have the R3 (New Line 2Disc Platinum Series/C-Interactive Copy) copy of this movie and it has DTS. IT HAS DTS AUDIO OPTION!

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 05, 2008 at 01:46 PM »
I have the R3 (New Line 2Disc Platinum Series/C-Interactive Copy) copy of this movie and it has DTS. IT HAS DTS AUDIO OPTION!

FINALLY!!! Someone who gave a STRAIGHT answer!!!

Thanks, dude. I hope all reviewers in this forum follow your example.  :)

Offline Weasel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 10:08 PM »
Got this for cheap. Great DVD but I have to agree with the others about the logo and the material they use on the cover too. Still, it's one of the best buys out there. For guys in Cebu, don't be fooled if you can't find it they have it somewhere and there's still several of them.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011 at 09:46 PM by Weasel »
Pass na mo para dili mo ma-pasmo